Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 193972 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #875 on: August 28, 2015, 12:22:41 PM »
Here's an interesting read for the disaster fans and armchair accident investigators among us. As part of the Columbia Accident Investigation Board report, investigators assessed the possibility of rescue or repair of the orbiter assuming they had ascertained it's damage in time. They hypothesized an actual rescue mission which might have worked, but would have been insanely complicated and offered up a considerable amount of risk. This is fascinating to me because while I wouldn't trust NASA to take my car to get it washed, I'd have complete confidence in its ability to rescue me from certain death. NASA is as good at working contingency as it is terrible with complacency. It'd be nice if those guys had been given the opportunity to save themselves from their own incompetence.

Ars-Tecnica did a writeup on the thing: https://arstechnica.com/science/2014/02/the-audacious-rescue-plan-that-might-have-saved-space-shuttle-columbia/

And here's the actual document as an apendix to the CAIB report for the particularly geeky: https://www.globalsecurity.org/jhtml/jframe.html#https://www.globalsecurity.org/space/library/report/2003/caib-report_vol2-d13.pdf|||
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #876 on: August 28, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »
I've had that article saved for a while now.  Usually I get rid of an article once I read it, but I kept this one because it was so interesting.  Audacious is certainly the right description.  It's interesting that they committed the resources and money to come up with this plan that absolutely zero utility.  I suppose it was a good exercise for NASA, though.

Reading that article, you imagine it as if NASA actually performed this mission, and how amazed and proud you would have felt.  It would have wound up being a huge boost to NASA's public perception.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:58:15 PM by jasc15 »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #877 on: August 28, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
As I recall, part of the reason they didn't tell the Columbia crew or take further action was that they were of the opinion that there wasn't anything they could do about it anyway. It only makes sense to ascertain if NASA was correct in that regard. This contingency plan doesn't really answer that since it was such a crapshoot and we can't really even know if they would have risked the resources (human and material). What can be ascertained from this (and that includes the possible repair plans included in the report that AT doesn't delve into) is that there were certainly avenues to consider rather than taking the ostrich approach and hoping for the best.

Something that the report does mention is why other vehicles weren't an option. I'd always wondered why a Soyuz couldn't have been deployed with the necessary supplies, and that's covered. However, there was an Ariane 4 on the pad in French Guiana that was ready to deploy a satellite. According to the report it would have been difficult to get it refitted and reprogrammed, but that honestly seems like it'd at least be possible. All that was needed to buy them time was LiOH and O2. Certainly seems like something could be set up to deliver that within 30 days.

All of this also raises a fascinating ethical question. Would it be better to drag the thing out 30 days when the likelihood is that they'll probably burn up or suffocate anyway? It'd be awful for the crew and their families, and not so great for the public, either. All in all it's pretty remarkable that during the sixties neither us nor the Rooskies left any bodies on or orbiting the moon, or drifting off towards Andromeda. I suppose you'd have to take into consideration the possibility that you wind up with 7 dead astronauts orbiting the Earth for a while as you try to figure out how to handle such a situation, and that'd be pretty crappy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #878 on: September 02, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »
This was supposedly made with real pictures taken on the New Horizons mission.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: September 02, 2015, 06:04:08 PM »
 :omg:

I'll be camping out at Lassen Volcanic National Park this weekend and bringing my 10" Dobsonian with me. I've only ever used it in extreme light pollution which has limited my viewing to the moon, planets and (very few) stars, so I'm really excited to be able to point it at a truly dark site. Hoping to get some great views of galaxies, nebulae, and globular clusters!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #880 on: September 03, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »
I have never facepalm:ed more to a video like this:

25 Flat Geo Earth claims that 'Rocked' my world view.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #881 on: September 03, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »
 :rollin  Wow, some people really are that dumb.  My favorite parts were, "we send satellites to Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Pluto."  :lol  The other one was Earth spin and how you would have to travel twice as fast in a plane going from East to West against the spin.  :lolpalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #883 on: September 04, 2015, 06:22:27 AM »
Enjoy.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/
Ohhh thank you very much!  :biggrin:

People have been into space. How have they not discovered that the earth is flat?

The most commonly accepted explanation of this is that the space agencies of the world are involved in a conspiracy faking space travel and exploration. This likely began during the Cold War's 'Space Race', in which the U.S.S.R and USA were obsessed with beating each other into space to the point that each faked their accomplishments in an attempt to keep pace with the others supposed achievements. However, since the end of the Cold War, the conspiracy is most likely motivated by greed rather than political gains. Thus opening up a tremendous amounts of funds to embezzle as it only takes a fraction of the total budget to fake space travel.

In light of the above, please note that we are not suggesting that space agencies are aware that the earth is flat and actively covering the fact up. They depict the earth as being round simply because that is what they expect it to be.

:corn

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #885 on: September 04, 2015, 06:36:08 AM »
Enjoy.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/
Ohhh thank you very much!  :biggrin:

People have been into space. How have they not discovered that the earth is flat?

The most commonly accepted explanation of this is that the space agencies of the world are involved in a conspiracy faking space travel and exploration. This likely began during the Cold War's 'Space Race', in which the U.S.S.R and USA were obsessed with beating each other into space to the point that each faked their accomplishments in an attempt to keep pace with the others supposed achievements. However, since the end of the Cold War, the conspiracy is most likely motivated by greed rather than political gains. Thus opening up a tremendous amounts of funds to embezzle as it only takes a fraction of the total budget to fake space travel.

In light of the above, please note that we are not suggesting that space agencies are aware that the earth is flat and actively covering the fact up. They depict the earth as being round simply because that is what they expect it to be.

:corn

I wonder what SpaceX's motivation is to fake space exploration?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #886 on: September 04, 2015, 07:57:25 AM »
It's a joke/troll site, to my understanding.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #887 on: September 04, 2015, 08:06:02 AM »
It's a joke/troll site, to my understanding.
Yea I think i've heard that to somewhere

Is this site a joke?

This site is not a joke. We are actively promoting the Flat Earth Movement worldwide. There are, admittedly, several non-serious flat earth posters, but they are fairly easy to identify.
That either confirms it or not, i'm a bit confused what to believe.  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #888 on: September 04, 2015, 08:12:44 AM »
Idk. I've spent a lot of time on those forums... that's a lot of dedicated trolls.

Calvin6s

« Reply #889 on: September 06, 2015, 03:48:11 AM »
Idk. I've spent a lot of time on those forums

Why?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #890 on: September 06, 2015, 04:27:03 AM »
Because it's hysterical. Is that alright? Should I have consulted with you first?

Calvin6s

« Reply #891 on: September 06, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »
 :-X

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: September 07, 2015, 12:23:34 PM »
The Earth is a sphere for the same reason every other heavenly body is.

Plus faked space pics or not - we have satellite pics of Earth and moon and every other planet - oh and they're all spheres. :lol

This theory - joke or not - has no legs at all.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #893 on: September 08, 2015, 06:11:17 AM »

Plus faked space pics or not - we have satellite pics of Earth and moon and every other planet - oh and they're all spheres. :lol

This is one of Mars' moons. Not a sphere.

How do you know the pics of the Earth, the moon, and every other planet aren't faked? We don't see the moon as a sphere in a picture, it's just a circle. If the Earth was flat, we could still get a pic that give the illusion of a sphere.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: September 08, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
:lol. Because it's been seen from more than one angle.

And that planetoid isn't a perfect sphere but it's still more of a ball than a disc.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #895 on: September 08, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »

How do you know the pics of the Earth, the moon, and every other planet aren't faked? We don't see the moon as a sphere in a picture, it's just a circle. If the Earth was flat, we could still get a pic that give the illusion of a sphere.

Cause I've been in a fucking airplane (and a jet, much higher than the commercial airliner) and can see with my own two eyeballs.

Oh, and I'm also not a brainless cunt. That helps too.

STOP THIS MADNESS CHINO! Go watch Avatar, buddy; clear your head.
(not that I think you're actually backing this but just entertaining the thought is insane, even if anyone is daft enough to think that there is any logical reason anyone would gain from faking all those pictures)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: September 08, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
We have time lapse fucking footage of earth rotating and it's a god damned mother fucking SPHERE.

The same as every other planet and star in our solar system which has been observed rotating.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #897 on: September 08, 2015, 10:30:12 AM »

*snip*

Cause I've been in a fucking airplane (and a jet, much higher than the commercial airliner) and can see with my own two eyeballs.

Oh, and I'm also not a brainless cunt. That helps too.

STOP THIS MADNESS CHINO! Go watch Avatar, buddy; clear your head.
(not that I think you're actually backing this but just entertaining the thought is insane, even if anyone is daft enough to think that there is any logical reason anyone would gain from faking all those pictures)

https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

Quite simply you cannot. It is widely stated you would need to be at a height of at least 40,000 ft to get even a hint of curvature if earth were round. Commercial aircraft are not allowed to fly this high. They are only allowed to fly just under this altitude. 36,000ft might be typical. In addition, the windows on commercial aircraft are small and heavily curved. Even if they flew high enough for a person to see curvature, it would still not be visible to passengers.

Fact.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #898 on: September 08, 2015, 10:39:43 AM »
Welp, I guess we live on a flat surface, bro. You got me.

Seriously though, why are you doing this?

Also, I know we didn't go 40,000ft. high, and it was a while back so I definitely don't remember the altitude but when I was in the jet, we went a shitload higher than commercial airlines do and it was pretty easy to tell that the Earth isn't flat from that high up. Could I see an actual sphere? No. But it'd be obvious if the rest of the world extended out beyond that. It'd look completely different. It's...y'know...man...I'm not gonna entertain this anymore, it's souring my good mood. Good job, Chino. You win. Have fun.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  :|

Ed: Just saw the funny thread post. Could've fooled me, you bastard. Damn it.  :corn

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: September 08, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »
According to QI - it's actually a myth that we ever thought the earth was flat.

Which makes the idea of Flat Earth believers even more hilarious.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #900 on: September 08, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »
Seriously though, why are you doing this?
To hone your debating skills.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #901 on: September 08, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »
 :lol

Or y'know, just to ruin my morning.  :metal (although after the morning shite I just had I was all "maybe the world IS flat!")

Srsly, dat green font doe. (but then it wouldn't be any fun)

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #902 on: September 08, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »
Srsly, dat green font doe. (but then it wouldn't be any fun)

Given my post history on these boards, I figured that it'd have been pretty obvious that I was joking.

I made that one super serious blue just in case  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #903 on: September 08, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »

Nah, you go back far enough, I'm sure that at some point it was pretty common.  Cavemen, I'm sure, assumed the earth was flat.  Everything in their experience said so.  It's just a damned shame that some people haven't gotten any smarter.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #904 on: September 08, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »
Ehhh, I blame it on the morning sleepies.

:sadpanda:

RIP DTP.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #905 on: September 08, 2015, 12:33:29 PM »

Nah, you go back far enough, I'm sure that at some point it was pretty common.  Cavemen, I'm sure, assumed the earth was flat.  Everything in their experience said so.  It's just a damned shame that some people haven't gotten any smarter.

I would think that cavemen probably had way more important things to think about than whether Earth was flat or not. Like not getting killed by every single thing on this planet... or having sex.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #906 on: September 08, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »

I would think that cavemen probably had way more important things to think about than whether Earth was flat or not. Like not getting killed by every single thing on this planet... or having sex.

I was thinking the same thing. Despite their cleverness, I'm guessing caveman's view of the horizon wasn't much different than my dog's.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #907 on: September 08, 2015, 02:16:11 PM »
Funny thing is, the book of Isaiah refers to the earth as a sphere and Psalms refers to it "hanging in space" hundreds of years before it was conjectured or proven, back when people thought it was supported by 4 giant elephants standing on the back of a turtle.  :lol No thread derail here, just tossing it in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: September 08, 2015, 02:42:31 PM »
It's turtles all the way down  :biggrin:

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #909 on: September 08, 2015, 02:48:52 PM »
It's turtles all the way down  :biggrin:

YES!  Love that line.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.