Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 194084 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #700 on: July 21, 2015, 08:22:34 AM »
It's a big ball of gas - much like most of DTF :neverusethis:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #701 on: July 21, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »
Fire is an oxidizing chemical reaction that releases heat and light. The actual flames that you see moving and glowing when something is burning are simply gas that is still reacting and giving off light. Plasmas are gases in which a good fraction of the molecules are ionized. Ordinary flames ionize enough molecules to be noticeable, but not as many as some of the much hotter things that we usually call plasmas.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: July 21, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »
Thank you.  :hefdaddy

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: July 21, 2015, 09:16:42 AM »
Fine whatever.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #704 on: July 21, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »
Every so often I have to stop and remind myself that we *LIVE* on an enormous floating ball of rock and water - flying at 1,000 mph around a gargantuan ball of fire in an infinite void surrounded by other gigantic spherical bodies.

Just stop and think about that for a second.

That's FACT.

I think we're all so used to it being true that we don't really stop to truly consider it often enough.
I usually have a epiphany from time to time especially during warm summer days laying down and frying myself when I realize that the heat I feel on my body is actually from that distant star up in the sky that we call the Sun, it's been there up in the sky my whole life but it also been there for every living creature that has ever walk on this planet we call Earth. Even though I hate to say it most of my life I have taken that for granted. It's a really weird thing when you think about it, the heat you feel every summer is from that planet 149,597,870,700 meters from Earth.

The other epiphany I usually have but alot less unfortunately is seeing the Milky Way arms stretching out across the sky on a clear night. Light polution destroys that for me every night sadly. The first time I saw the actual arms was a real eyeopener for me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #705 on: July 21, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »
The other epiphany I usually have but alot less unfortunately is seeing the Milky Way arms stretching out across the sky on a clear night. Light polution destroys that for me every night sadly. The first time I saw the actual arms was a real eyeopener for me.

I seem to recall a story of a city where the power went down one night so Milky Way became visible. However part of the population freaked out and called the police because they thought something wrong was going on in the sky...

Unfortunately I never saw the Milky Way myself, but I probably would stand in awe for a while if I were to.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: July 21, 2015, 10:35:30 AM »

I seem to recall a story of a city where the power went down one night so Milky Way became visible. However part of the population freaked out and called the police because they thought something wrong was going on in the sky...

Unfortunately I never saw the Milky Way myself, but I probably would stand in awe for a while if I were to.

Was this LA?  I heard this story as well.  Kind of funny, kind of sad.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #707 on: July 21, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »

Was this LA?  I heard this story as well.  Kind of funny, kind of sad.

I red that story a few years ago so I don't exactly remember where it was, but I think it was somewhere in the United States. I mean, where else would people react that way? (just kidding)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #708 on: July 21, 2015, 11:12:10 AM »
Every time I think about light pollution and what people in the city (or even close...including myself) are missing I get depressed. Even though I'm no aficionado or anything, I still have a pretty nice telescope and very often go out back and gaze up. It is THE wonder. Shame that many people don't care too much about it. I always feel like this mofo when I look at it, even when I'm stone-cold sober: Mmm, space.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #709 on: July 21, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »

I remember the first time I saw it... we were driving through some hills at night and one of the passengers dropped something under the front seat so we stopped the car to let him look for it. I took the chance to step out of the car just to stretch my legs a bit and when I looked up I was totally amazed... we were in the middle of nowhere, there were no streetlights, homes or anything else providing artificial light in a radius of a few miles and the sky was absolutely clear, no clouds in sight. I've never seen the milky way as clear as that night, hopefully some day I will get the chance to see it again because I honestly think it might be the single greatest sight you can ever see in person (cue "you're a virgin" joke).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: July 21, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
Every time I think about light pollution and what people in the city (or even close...including myself) are missing I get depressed. Even though I'm no aficionado or anything, I still have a pretty nice telescope and very often go out back and gaze up. It is THE wonder. Shame that many people don't care too much about it. I always feel like this mofo when I look at it, even when I'm stone-cold sober: Mmm, space.

I live in a populated area of NJ, not far from NYC and in my backyard I can see the big stars, but that's it.  If I drive out to PA, I can see soooo much more.  It's amazing, and it is depressing that I can't see that every night where I live.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #711 on: July 21, 2015, 12:12:43 PM »
I can see pretty well on a nice night, I live in a fairly rural area and there's no tall buildings or anything around for a while. Even so, when out in the true wilderness, it's still amazing to notice how much of a difference even just a TINY amount of lights can do to hinder the view.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:06 PM »
I mean, where else would people react that way? (just kidding)

As a US citizen, I think you're right. Though to be honest, I almost don't buy the story because I find it unlikely that anyone would even care enough to look at the sky close enough to notice the difference.  :laugh:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #713 on: July 21, 2015, 12:36:16 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smithsonian/reboot-the-suit-bring-back-neil-armstrongs-spacesu?ref=nav_search

Up to $240K and climbing! It really maked me happy to see so many people give their own money to causes like this.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #714 on: July 21, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
Entertaining read.

https://www.popsci.com/colonizing-moon-may-be-90-percent-cheaper-we-thought

Returning humans to the moon could cost 90 percent less than expected, bringing estimated costs down from $100 billion to $10 billion. That's something that NASA could afford on its current deep space human spaceflight budget.
“A factor of ten reduction in cost changes everything,” said Mark Hopkins, executive committee chair of the National Space Society, in a press release.
The study, released today, was conducted by the National Space Society and the Space Frontier Foundation—two non-profit organizations that advocate building human settlements beyond Earth—and it was reviewed by an independent team of former NASA executives, astronauts, and space policy experts.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #715 on: July 21, 2015, 01:57:08 PM »
I'm assuming a moon colony isn't meant for 'just a place to populate' with "normal" people. It'd be primarily scientific/research based? Test ideas for long term facilities for future exploration of Mars..other planets? Just curious as to how this would benefit us? I think it's an awesome idea and would love to see it in my lifetime....just wondering out loud 'what' it is exactly we can accomplish?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #716 on: July 21, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
I'm curious about that, but also why we originally thought it would cost a certain amount, but now realize that it would really be only about 1/10 of that.  I realize that they're all rough estimates anyway, but what changed?  When did they realize that they were off by a factor of 10, and why?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: July 21, 2015, 02:13:48 PM »
I'm curious about that, but also why we originally thought it would cost a certain amount, but now realize that it would really be only about 1/10 of that.  I realize that they're all rough estimates anyway, but what changed?  When did they realize that they were off by a factor of 10, and why?

Maybe a re-evaluation of available technologies now vs when they originally planned it?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #718 on: July 21, 2015, 02:17:03 PM »
I'm assuming a moon colony isn't meant for 'just a place to populate' with "normal" people. It'd be primarily scientific/research based? Test ideas for long term facilities for future exploration of Mars..other planets? Just curious as to how this would benefit us? I think it's an awesome idea and would love to see it in my lifetime....just wondering out loud 'what' it is exactly we can accomplish?
As is so often the case, the way to look at is isn't just how will it benefit us. If it has one thing that's good, in this case I'd go with a platform for further space exploration, then you can justify it and begin to reap numerous rewards and benefits that were completely unforeseen. A wonderful aspect of research for the last 2000 years is that it invariably yields far more than what you expect. In the effort to make such a thing possible, tons of research, development and creation will occur. That's the real prize.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: July 21, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
As is so often the case, the way to look at is isn't just how will it benefit us. If it has one thing that's good, in this case I'd go with a platform for further space exploration, then you can justify it and begin to reap numerous rewards and benefits that were completely unforeseen. A wonderful aspect of research for the last 2000 years is that it invariably yields far more than what you expect. In the effort to make such a thing possible, tons of research, development and creation will occur. That's the real prize.

It sure would be neat to see....I hope I live long enough to see something like this or a man/woman walk on Mars.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #720 on: July 21, 2015, 02:26:35 PM »

Maybe a re-evaluation of available technologies now vs when they originally planned it?

That makes sense.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #721 on: July 21, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »

That makes sense.

We also have a better understanding of what makes the moon up. We can mine stuff and sell it back on Earth. Getting there probably isn't 90% cheaper today, but that cost can be offset by the economic gains back home. I think.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #722 on: July 21, 2015, 08:02:05 PM »

That makes sense.

We also have a better understanding of what makes the moon up. We can mine stuff and sell it back on Earth. Getting there probably isn't 90% cheaper today, but that cost can be offset by the economic gains back home. I think.
Assuming you could work out lunar mineral rights with the other space faring nations, I doubt you'd get much support for strip-mining the thing. Republicans don't own it yet.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #723 on: July 22, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »
NASA will host a news teleconference on thursday and IFLS had this title "NASA Has A "Huge Announcement" To Make on their site which got my attention but on jpl.nasa.gov they kind of toned it down either way they did have the following line:

Today, and thousands of discoveries later, astronomers are on the cusp of finding something people have dreamed about for thousands of years -- another Earth.

I'm looking forward to what kind of planets they have found.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #724 on: July 22, 2015, 11:19:55 AM »
NASA will host a news teleconference on thursday and IFLS had this title "NASA Has A "Huge Announcement" To Make on their site which got my attention but on jpl.nasa.gov they kind of toned it down either way they did have the following line:

Today, and thousands of discoveries later, astronomers are on the cusp of finding something people have dreamed about for thousands of years -- another Earth.

I'm looking forward to what kind of planets they have found.

I'm trying to not get too excited. I'm sure all we are going to get is something along the lines of "the data indicates that this planet has liquid water on the surface and might be very much like Earth in terms of weather and temperature. There is a chance this world can harbor life". We're probably just going to get possible confirmation for something that we all know to be true anyway. Once we return a radio signal from another world, or bring back photo of the dark side of a planet covered in lights, I'll get really excited.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #725 on: July 22, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »
Yup. It seems they're discovering Earthlike or "Goldilocks" planets all the time. Not sure why this one is special. Moreover, it'll be a billion light years away, so just knowing it's there won't mean much.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #726 on: July 22, 2015, 11:45:03 AM »
Yup. It seems they're discovering Earthlike or "Goldilocks" planets all the time. Not sure why this one is special. Moreover, it'll be a billion light years away, so just knowing it's there won't mean much.

Those are my feelings as well. Part of me thinks (hopes) it might be something more though seeing as planets being found in the goldilocks zone are pretty common these days.

As for the billion lightyears away thing... at least we'd have a definitive target to focus our radio telescopes and other instruments on.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #727 on: July 22, 2015, 11:46:49 AM »

With the distance to even the nearest solar systems, these kinds of announcements don't excite me much, as it's mostly trivial until we can do something about it. It's great if it gives us a target, but I don't like the odds. Give me proof there's life on that planet, and then you're talking.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #728 on: July 22, 2015, 11:47:48 AM »
Absolutely loved this article....and relevant to this discussion.

https://qz.com/452452/where-are-all-the-aliens/
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #729 on: July 22, 2015, 11:58:52 AM »

Thanks for sharing that.

Calvin6s

« Reply #730 on: July 22, 2015, 12:11:57 PM »

Possibility 7) We are receiving contact from other intelligent life, but the government is hiding it.The more I learn about the topic, the more this seems like an idiotic theory, but I had to mention it because it’s talked about so much.
:rollin

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #731 on: July 22, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »

Possibility 7) We are receiving contact from other intelligent life, but the government is hiding it.The more I learn about the topic, the more this seems like an idiotic theory, but I had to mention it because it’s talked about so much.
:rollin

There is absolutely no way the government could keep that a secret. Someone would leak that for sure. Hundreds of people at NASA would know about it and they are too passionate at what they do to not say anything. They'd happily go to jail to get that truth out there.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: July 22, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »

Thanks for sharing that.

Yeah....that was very fascinating.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #733 on: July 22, 2015, 01:47:06 PM »
That was a good read. Even though I know about Fermi's paradox, there were some very good thought experiments that I hadn't heard before.  Of course, none of it is scientific since there is no data to support any of the assumptions, but it does follow sound logic.

Calvin6s

« Reply #734 on: July 22, 2015, 03:57:44 PM »
There is absolutely no way the government could keep that a secret. Someone would leak that for sure. Hundreds of people at NASA would know about it and they are too passionate at what they do to not say anything. They'd happily go to jail to get that truth out there.

That's why we need cop cams.  So those alien traffic tickets can be put up on YouTube.

Perhaps the government can somehow keep it a secret.  But that's probably one billionth as likely as we are all just an alien computer simulation.