Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 193936 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #630 on: July 02, 2015, 01:32:46 PM »
Yeah, I also watched a show on the H2 channel a couple weeks ago about the scientific explanation of the star of Bethlehem.  They also concluded that it was Jupiter in close conjunction with Venus.  It was interesting especially since I had noticed Jupiter and Venus getting closer prior to knowing anything about that occurrence.  It donned on me that it wasn't a coincidence that the show was on TV prior to the actual conjunction.  Pretty damn cool!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #631 on: July 02, 2015, 06:23:44 PM »
Hmm that's really interesting.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #632 on: July 06, 2015, 06:33:36 AM »
Sheeeiiiiiiit.

https://news.sky.com/story/1514080/alien-life-on-philae-comet-scientists-say

Prof Wickramasinghe said: "What we're saying is that data coming from the comet seems to unequivocally, in my opinion, point to micro-organisms being involved in the formation of the icy structures, the preponderance of aromatic hydrocarbons, and the very dark surface.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #633 on: July 06, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »
I'll stick with Carl Sagan. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #634 on: July 06, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »
I read that this morning.  Title should read "It's not impossible that life exists on 67P".

Also, this on the same day:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/07/06/sorry-there-probably-isnt-life-on-rosettas-comet-even-if-scientists-said-so/?postshare=2031436199815692

Offline jasc15

« Reply #635 on: July 07, 2015, 06:26:49 AM »
Check out all that space junk!

https://stuffin.space/

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #636 on: July 07, 2015, 09:47:08 AM »
I just joined the Planetary Society.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #637 on: July 10, 2015, 07:45:36 AM »

This was from July 7 at a distance of 5 million miles.  The closest approach is only a week later, at a distance of 7,750 miles.  I need to remember July 14.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:52:08 AM by jasc15 »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #638 on: July 10, 2015, 07:49:02 AM »
It's hard to even comprehend how far away this image was taken, and everything that was involved to get there. Just amazing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #639 on: July 10, 2015, 08:03:15 AM »
It really is mind blowing.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #640 on: July 10, 2015, 09:31:52 PM »
It is ALIVE! ALIVE I said!  :lol  The black hole at the center of galaxy NGC 660 came back to life!!!  :eek

https://www.astronomy.com/news/2015/07/radio-astronomers-see-black-hole-come-to-life
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: July 13, 2015, 02:15:20 PM »
Who's ready for some Pluto pictures tomorrow? :2metal:

Offline jasc15

« Reply #642 on: July 13, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »
Here is one from today!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: July 13, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »
And to think they say that the ones tomorrow should have 300 times more detail.  :hefdaddy

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #644 on: July 13, 2015, 08:11:20 PM »
Check out this Eyes On the Solar System app for PC / Mac developed by NASA here : https://eyes.nasa.gov/

It is quite well done and you can get a "live" simulation of the New Horizon mission as it is happening.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #645 on: July 14, 2015, 05:16:45 AM »
Closest approach is 34 minutes out..why is this thread not on top?? (well, I guess it will be now that I've made this pots, if at least for a moment).

I remember Voyager from when I was ten, it feels like that did...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #646 on: July 14, 2015, 05:22:54 AM »
Scientists trying not to cry is one of the most amazing things to see...
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #647 on: July 14, 2015, 05:43:07 AM »
Couple minutes away!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: July 14, 2015, 05:43:23 AM »
The last picture before the fly-by is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see the high quality photos afterwards.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #649 on: July 14, 2015, 07:21:41 AM »
Exciting times!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: July 14, 2015, 08:09:32 AM »
So it happened, but Horizons was programmed to stop communication with Earth while it did all its picture stuff, so we won't hear from it again until 9PM EDT.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:35:11 AM by Implode »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #651 on: July 14, 2015, 08:16:47 AM »
I read earlier that New Horizon's banwidth is roughly 1/50 of a 56k modem from the 90s. It takes 42 minutes to send a single 1024 pixel image back.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: July 14, 2015, 08:18:32 AM »
I read earlier that New Horizon's banwidth is roughly 1/50 of a 56k modem from the 90s. It takes 42 minutes to send a single 1024 pixel image back.

We must have read the same page (or at least taken from the same source). :tup Apparently it will take about 16 months to send all of the data.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #653 on: July 14, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »
Final picture for a while:

While this is going on we've also got a modern probe heading to a polar orbit of Jupiter which should be pretty cool, as well. I'm glad we're still using some good tech to study the solar system.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #654 on: July 14, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »

While this is going on we've also got a modern probe heading to a polar orbit of Jupiter which should be pretty cool, as well. I'm glad we're still using some good tech to study the solar system.

Sadly, that's diminishing. I think after the one you're referring to, the Ceres mission, and this New Horizons mission, we don't have much left on our plate in regards to exploring our solar system. We have a project in the works now to go to Europa, but we won't get to that moon until the mid 2030s assuming everything stays on schedule. It's a shame. We have so much technology and talent, and exploring our solar system is such a small part of our budget, it's a shame we don't have more missions in the pipeline.

I saw a lot of hate online for this mission. A lot of people think the $700million this mission cost could have been better spent feeding people or helping third world countries. While it's true that $700million could feed a lot of mouths, but so could the $7trillion we've spent in the Middle East, the $1.4trillion we've spent building the F35, or the $800billion that was spent bailing out the banks. When I look at expenses like that, it absolutely blows my mind that cutting NASA's budget is ever on the table. It's such a small fraction of our national expenses and gives us so much in return. I'm not just talking about breath taking pictures. The unexpected technological breakthroughs that have originated with space travel are too many to count.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #655 on: July 14, 2015, 09:21:17 AM »
Juno is the mission I was referring to. DAWN is currently exploring proto-planets. NASA currently has a ton of missions underway, although few on other planets (Mars excluded).

And the problem is that few people really grasp the nature of change and research. Learning specific things is great, but just learning "stuff" will often yield far greater results. There's no telling what some currently anonymous egghead in his mom's basement might discover from research gathered by one of the many probes we're sending out. Might be far more helpful than a couple of more years of Meals on Wheels.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: July 14, 2015, 09:36:08 AM »
Juno is the mission I was referring to. DAWN is currently exploring proto-planets. NASA currently has a ton of missions underway, although few on other planets (Mars excluded).

And the problem is that few people really grasp the nature of change and research. Learning specific things is great, but just learning "stuff" will often yield far greater results. There's no telling what some currently anonymous egghead in his mom's basement might discover from research gathered by one of the many probes we're sending out. Might be far more helpful than a couple of more years of Meals on Wheels.

Also the technology created to do these missions can come back and play a role somewhere else in society.  Im all for funding NASA, in fact I am wearing my NASA tshirt today  :metal

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #657 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »

Also the technology created to do these missions can come back and play a role somewhere else in society.  Im all for funding NASA, in fact I am wearing my NASA tshirt today  :metal

One of my favorite spinoff technologies is the ultrasound. NASA needed a way to see through the dust on the moon in order to find a safe landing site. Being able to see inside the human body was a fantastic repurposing of the technology. Memory foam, scratch resistant lenses, water filtration, cordless tools, and satellite television are cool too.

Here is a really good read on technologies that have stemmed unexpectedly from NASA work.
https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html

Offline jasc15

« Reply #658 on: July 14, 2015, 11:48:58 AM »
This is all an argument for fundamental scientific research, rather than targeted research to a specific end.  Fundamental research doesn't need to have an end goal other than expanding our knowledge.  Most of the great technology came not from specific research toward that technology, but from applications unintended at the beginning.  Carl Sagan said it all better than me:

There is a growing free-market view of human knowledge, according to which basic research should compete without government support with all the other institutions and claimants in the society. If they couldn’t have relied on government support, and had to compete in the free market economy of their day, it's unlikely that any of the scientists on my list would have been able to do their groundbreaking research. And the cost of basic research is substantially greater than it was in Maxwell's day-both theoretical and, especially, experimental.

But that aside, would free market forces be adequate to support basic research?  Only about 10 percent of meritorious research proposals in medicine are funded today.  More money is spent on quack medicine than on all of medical research.  What would it be like if government opted out of medical research?

A necessary aspect of basic research is that its applications lie in the future-sometimes decades or even centuries ahead.  What's more, no one knows which aspects of basic research will have practical value and which will not.  If scientists cannot make such predictions, is it likely that politicians or industrialists can?  If free market forces are focused only towards short-term profit-as they certainly mainly are in an America with steep declines in corporate research-is not this solution tantamount to abandoning basic research?

Cutting of fundamental curiosity-driven science is like eating the seed corn. We may harvest a little more to eat next winter, but what will we plant so we and our children will have enough to get through the winters to come?

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #659 on: July 14, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »
It's alive!!!!

Offline adace

« Reply #660 on: July 14, 2015, 08:49:05 PM »
The Pluto pics are awesome! Incredible moment for science and humanity. :hefdaddy

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #661 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:17 AM »
In poking around NASA's website, I saw something that I'd somehow missed...we still ave two antennas pointing at (and receiving data from) Voyager 1!

Also, there's nothing that represents pure joy to me as much as seeing excited scientists.  I remember my couple of big breakthrough moments in my grad work, and jumping up and down pumping my fist in the air in the lab at 3:00 in the morning...and that must only be the tiniest fraction of what the mission team felt yesterday.  I'll admit my eyes got a little watery watching it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: July 15, 2015, 06:59:22 AM »
In poking around NASA's website, I saw something that I'd somehow missed...we still ave two antennas pointing at (and receiving data from) Voyager 1!

I could have sworn that one of the Voyager missions had lost contact in the last few years, but I must be getting confused with something else. Maybe I'm thinking of a different probe, or just one function was shut down.
What I find most incredible is not that these old probes are still transmitting back data and we're receiving it, but that scientists are still able to interface with the old technology, and even modify and reprogram them successfully to fix problems remotely and adapt for new mission objectives. The ingenuity and ability to utilize technology of the time to its fullest potential impresses me so much.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #663 on: July 15, 2015, 07:04:02 AM »

I could have sworn that one of the Voyager missions had lost contact in the last few years, but I must be getting confused with something else. Maybe I'm thinking of a different probe, or just one function was shut down.
What I find most incredible is not that these old probes are still transmitting back data and we're receiving it, but that scientists are still able to interface with the old technology, and even modify and reprogram them successfully to fix problems remotely and adapt for new mission objectives. The ingenuity and ability to utilize technology of the time to its fullest potential impresses me so much.

If it's anything likeworking on a COBOL legacy system, I feel bad for them  :lol

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #664 on: July 15, 2015, 07:06:18 AM »
I think Voyager 2 lost contact a few years ago, I guess I just assumed the Voyager 1 had as well, but I was clearly wrong...