Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 194067 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #455 on: December 20, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »
BTW, people always make it out to be the next revolution ... I must say I'm pretty skeptical about it. The problem, as I see it, is that of materials. Most objects we have are highly specialized for their specific purposes. They are crazy-ass tempered alloys of 5 different compounds etc.
A 3-D printer will never have those materials at its disposal. At best it might have 5 substances it can mix, but in the end they will vastly underperform the "made for this purpose" equivalents.

Even though it's not for home use, they can effectively print just about any material by printing it out in a wax type substance and molding it in metals etc. Shapeways can print out gold/silver/steel/bronze etc, and ceramics for plates/mugs or whatever. For the home user to so easily have access to that kind of service is pretty cool. And in the medical industry, they've printed out custom designed jaws in titanium for replacements.
Even in its current capacity, I'd call it revolutionary.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #456 on: December 21, 2014, 04:03:29 AM »
Yea I would agree, 3D printers are growing like crazy and you see them everywhere. The fact that even NASA finds use for it makes it pretty big.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #457 on: December 21, 2014, 02:08:09 PM »
BTW, people always make it out to be the next revolution ... I must say I'm pretty skeptical about it. The problem, as I see it, is that of materials. Most objects we have are highly specialized for their specific purposes. They are crazy-ass tempered alloys of 5 different compounds etc.
A 3-D printer will never have those materials at its disposal. At best it might have 5 substances it can mix, but in the end they will vastly underperform the "made for this purpose" equivalents.

Even though it's not for home use, they can effectively print just about any material by printing it out in a wax type substance and molding it in metals etc. Shapeways can print out gold/silver/steel/bronze etc, and ceramics for plates/mugs or whatever. For the home user to so easily have access to that kind of service is pretty cool. And in the medical industry, they've printed out custom designed jaws in titanium for replacements.

Mold printing is kinda what I would call "secondary 3D printing" though. And the prosthesis printing, that is of course phenomenal, but it's still a very niche application, IMHO.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: December 21, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »

Mold printing is kinda what I would call "secondary 3D printing" though. And the prosthesis printing, that is of course phenomenal, but it's still a very niche application, IMHO.

I don't disagree with any of that, they were just examples of why I feel like the technology has already proven its potential to revolutionize many industries, even in these early days.
The ability to effectively send a 3D object to space remotely is pretty damn cool however you classify it!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #459 on: December 21, 2014, 07:19:34 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, that is indeed cool. When you look at what they went to the moon with, you couldn't even play a decent game of Asteroids on that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: December 21, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
It's kind of sad to me that the average smartphone that everyone owns probably has about 1000x more power than what sent man for the moon, given what most people do with that computing power. :lol

It goes without saying that Asteroids is a perfectly acceptable use of that power.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #461 on: December 21, 2014, 07:34:24 PM »
I went to the ophthalmologist the other day, and they had this cool new machine called OCT. Was like staring into a game of Asteroids :lol

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #462 on: December 22, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »
I was just reading about the James Webb Space Telescope, which is intended to be Hubble's successor.  Damn, the thing is huge.

Here is a full scale model:

And it will be all folded up in the nosecone of an Ariane 5 rocket:

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #463 on: December 22, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »
I can't wait to see what Webb delivers! The project almost got scrapped.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #464 on: December 23, 2014, 09:28:49 AM »
I'm looking forward to this.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/12/23/could-dwarf-planet-ceres-support-life/

In March 2015, NASA's Dawn spacecraft will arrive in orbit around the dwarf planet Ceres, the largest object in the main asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Ceres is a relatively warm and wet body that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the Jovian moon Europa and the Saturn satellite Enceladus, both of which may be capable of supporting life as we know it, some researchers say.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #465 on: December 23, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »
Cool, had no idea about that. Will definitly follow that. Speaking of do anyone know of any good site or anything were you can follow current NASA or non NASA missions both manned and unmanned. I can only find lists of current missions but it would be could to see them in some kind of "progress chart" if you know what I mean. So you can see when something was launched, current status and when its expected to arrive at it's destination and also future missions.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:52:43 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #466 on: December 23, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »
Cool, had no idea about that. Will definitly follow that. Speaking of do anyone now of any good site or anything were you can follow current NASA or non NASA missions both manned and unmanned. I can only find lists of current missions but it would be could to see them in some kind of "progress chart" if you know what I mean. So you can see when something was launched, current status and when its expected to arrive at it's destination and also future missions.

I don't know of any site, but on Facebook, I add more or less every person that speaks on the Universe shows that are on The Science Channel. They post links to stuff all the time regarding space stuff I would have never heard of otherwise. The following are some of my favorite posters. Michelle works for NASA and is probably my favorite. Phil can dive into politics quite a bit.

Michelle Thaller
Phil Plait
Lawrence Krauss
Brian Cox
Chris Hadfield

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #467 on: December 25, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
Cool! I follow Lawrence on FB and know of Brain and Chris. Don't know the other two but will certainly follow all of them now.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #468 on: January 06, 2015, 04:34:30 AM »
So the Falcon 9 launch today was aborted due technical difficulties. Heard mention on possible launch on friday, can't confirm though.

Launch Update

During the terminal count engineers observed drift on one of the two thrust vector actuators on the second stage that would likely have caused an automatic abort. Engineers called a hold in order to take a closer look. SpaceX is scrubbed for today and we are now targeting launch on Jan. 9th at 5:09am ET.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 04:58:41 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #469 on: January 06, 2015, 03:09:48 PM »
New epic Hubble photograph of the Pillars Of Creation:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #470 on: January 06, 2015, 03:44:59 PM »
I've always loved the Pillars of Creation.  Such a bizarre-looking formation.  The detail here is amazing.

Offline adace

« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2015, 12:03:15 AM »
One of the best space photos of all time. :hefdaddy

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2015, 05:57:15 AM »
idk.... The new photo of Andromeda makes my head want to explode. This is zooming in.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2015, 10:18:14 AM »
This whole thread makes my brain/imagination orgasm so hard. Awesome stuff.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »
I'm pretty excited for Star Talk on Nat Geo. I've listened to the online radio format for years. I just hope Nat Geo puts it on their website as well. I was one of the 500k customers who dropped cable last year.

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: January 17, 2015, 12:53:35 AM »
Elon Musk released a video of the "failed" attempt to land the Stage 1 rocket booster.

https://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK

From the initial reports, I was expecting a much faster descent. Apparently they ran out of hydraulic fluid that was controlling the stabilizing fins, which should be fixed in the next launch (50% more fluid this time around).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #476 on: January 17, 2015, 04:20:19 AM »
So close but still a fail. Seems to be an easy fix though which also must sting a bit for them. Hopefully they nail it next time.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #477 on: January 19, 2015, 02:34:32 AM »
idk.... The new photo of Andromeda makes my head want to explode. This is zooming in.

Mind=Blown

Seriously sometimes I really wonder why stuff like this don't get more attention in public media?

Gigapixels of Andromeda [4K]
https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1502a/zoomable/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:44:04 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #478 on: January 19, 2015, 04:04:46 AM »
So what is all that? Crap load of Stars?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #479 on: January 19, 2015, 05:28:30 AM »
The last picture is a zoomed in area of the first Andromeda picture showing another layer of millions upon millions of stars, planets and galaxies. Basically to much for our brains to grasp.

That's my take, someone else might have a more detailed answere.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #480 on: January 19, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »
Fascinating.

There is life everywhere.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #481 on: January 19, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »
Elon Musk released a video of the "failed" attempt to land the Stage 1 rocket booster.

https://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK

From the initial reports, I was expecting a much faster descent. Apparently they ran out of hydraulic fluid that was controlling the stabilizing fins, which should be fixed in the next launch (50% more fluid this time around).
Rapid unscheduled disassembly event.  :rollin

Still, what they were trying to accomplish is pretty amazing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #482 on: January 20, 2015, 06:10:18 AM »
I love Elon's sense of humor.,

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #483 on: January 27, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #484 on: January 27, 2015, 03:58:45 PM »
That's really cool! That must be really cost effective to have the fuel tanks return like that, I would assume so atleast.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #485 on: January 27, 2015, 04:12:06 PM »
I had to watch twice. Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ca6x4QbpoM&feature=youtu.be
u

How far off is this from 'actually' happening? 10 years? Looks pretty involved....cool as heck but the reentry on those rockets has to be precise doesn't it, or they'll disinigrate? And keeping them stable on the descent once the boosters fire to slow down? I don't doubt it will happen someday....just curious as to how far off you think it is?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #486 on: January 27, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »
I honestly think SpaceX could pull that off in five years. They went from first testing the grasshopper to this...

https://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150116183850-spacex-rocket-crash-landing-crane-orig-mg-00001212-story-top.jpg

.. in less than 15 months. That's impressive as hell. The fact that they hit he barge is beyond incredible. Given SpaceX's track record, and the ever-increasing demand to put things in orbit, SpaceX will figure this out in no time.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #487 on: February 04, 2015, 07:21:42 AM »
We're going to Europa!!  :metal :metal :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #488 on: February 04, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »

Cool! Are you talking about JUICE?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #489 on: February 04, 2015, 08:10:09 AM »
Guess what I'm gonna be doing on Sunday? Watch the SpaceX launch at Cape Canaveral! Work is getting me down to Jacksonville, and my roommate suggested it. Now of course she's mortally envious :lol