Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 193631 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1995 on: April 22, 2023, 08:24:42 PM »
Cross posted from the twitter thread.  I laughed too much at this meme.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1996 on: April 23, 2023, 10:04:34 AM »
Damage at launch site was pretty serious
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1997 on: April 23, 2023, 01:20:22 PM »
Starship test launch from 12th floor South Padre Island

Love the sound!

Also some amazing footage of the carnage after launch:

SpaceX Starship Flight Test: First Look at Damage to the Launch Site!

No question that flying debris was an issue for Starship.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 01:31:06 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1998 on: April 24, 2023, 06:10:49 AM »
Yeah. Apparently Elon said that they designed a giant, water cooled, steel plate that was supposed to cover the pad. It wasn't completed in time and they just sent it.   

I haven't seen it verified, but a source popped up a few times on Reddit claiming that there was damage done to an exterior module that's responsible for controlling the hydraulics that release stage one from stage two. A chunk of concrete flew into it, damaging it beyond the point of operation. 

The sound in your first video is awesome. It's cool to see/hear so many people excited about this kind of thing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1999 on: April 24, 2023, 08:36:40 AM »
Yeah. Apparently Elon said that they designed a giant, water cooled, steel plate that was supposed to cover the pad. It wasn't completed in time and they just sent it.   

I haven't seen it verified, but a source popped up a few times on Reddit claiming that there was damage done to an exterior module that's responsible for controlling the hydraulics that release stage one from stage two. A chunk of concrete flew into it, damaging it beyond the point of operation. 

The sound in your first video is awesome. It's cool to see/hear so many people excited about this kind of thing.
The colour of the flame suggested burning hydraulic fluid. Not to say that's they're wrong, but I think that's where the speculation has been coming from. Also, did the thing ever actually reach the appropriate altitude for the first stage sep? I know they were expecting it based on time elapsed, but with up to 8 Raptors not firing it was probably well short at the actual time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2000 on: April 24, 2023, 03:39:19 PM »
They lost 4-5 engines of their 31 by the time they lost control and 2 were gone essentially just after liftoff. According to Scott Manley each engine they lost equated to about 9% loss in effective thrust, so the engine was WAY underpowered for a significant portion of its ascent. Given how much concrete was ejected from the launch site find it hard to imagine that they weren't damaged by the detritus flying up.

This launch really should have been delayed if the launch site wasn't ready.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2001 on: April 25, 2023, 11:29:39 AM »
This is a pretty cool graphic

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2002 on: April 25, 2023, 11:45:06 AM »
So cool to finally see Starship launch, sure they have a long way to go but it's atleast a bit closer to the Moon or even Mars.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #2003 on: April 26, 2023, 04:50:35 AM »
So cool to finally see Starship launch, sure they have a long way to go but it's atleast a bit closer to the Moon or even Mars.

Speaking of Mars, I got a question that perhaps some of you can enlighten me. With robotic and AI technology development advancing so swiftly at a much lower cost. Sending a couple of highly advanced robots to Mars may do a better, more efficient job than we do. So why must we set such a goal to land on Mars?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2004 on: April 26, 2023, 05:53:13 AM »

Speaking of Mars, I got a question that perhaps some of you can enlighten me. With robotic and AI technology development advancing so swiftly at a much lower cost. Sending a couple of highly advanced robots to Mars may do a better, more efficient job than we do. So why must we set such a goal to land on Mars?

There literally isn't enough space on this board to properly articulate the 'why' we, as in, mankind, feels the need to venture out and place our boots on the ground of some unknown world.

I suppose, the best answer to this question may always be the following quote from George Mallory: "Because it's there."

In 1922, he took part in a second expedition to make the first ascent of the world's highest mountain, in which his team achieved a record altitude of 26,980 ft (8,225 m) without supplemental oxygen. Once asked by a reporter why he wanted to climb Everest, Mallory famously replied, "Because it's there."

If any of that makes sense to you (and, admittedly, as a risk-adverse person, I have never understood the desire to explore, climb, or go to Mars), then I suspect you don't even bother asking 'why,' because you are already attempting to do it.

The desire to explore is intrinsic to our species, and even with AI and all that, a small portion of us will always desire to see for ourselves.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2005 on: April 26, 2023, 06:26:56 AM »

There literally isn't enough space on this board to properly articulate the 'why' we, as in, mankind, feels the need to venture out and place our boots on the ground of some unknown world.

I suppose, the best answer to this question may always be the following quote from George Mallory: "Because it's there."

In 1922, he took part in a second expedition to make the first ascent of the world's highest mountain, in which his team achieved a record altitude of 26,980 ft (8,225 m) without supplemental oxygen. Once asked by a reporter why he wanted to climb Everest, Mallory famously replied, "Because it's there."

If any of that makes sense to you (and, admittedly, as a risk-adverse person, I have never understood the desire to explore, climb, or go to Mars), then I suspect you don't even bother asking 'why,' because you are already attempting to do it.

The desire to explore is intrinsic to our species, and even with AI and all that, a small portion of us will always desire to see for ourselves.

Yeah, in simple terms is more of a satisfaction thing to say "it's done, and we did it" more than anything else. The reason why we haven't gone back to the Moon in 50 years is because there is no need. We already sent robots to mars. Sending more robots will not feel as a big accomplishment as sending actual humans.

But, I am all for the science, so if there are brave souls willing to make the travel, and those willing to fund i, then  :tup

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2006 on: April 26, 2023, 07:01:40 AM »
It's also a life raft. In 1000 years, 5000 years, who knows. Humanity's only chance at surviving might one day come down to being able to rehome ourselves.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2007 on: April 26, 2023, 08:33:56 AM »
It's also a life raft. In 1000 years, 5000 years, who knows. Humanity's only chance at surviving might one day come down to being able to rehome ourselves.
I believe that's been Musk's thought process all along.

My preferred answer is that we need to push ourselves, and exploration has always been a fantastic way to do that. In his famous letter about why we went to the Moon Ernst Stuhlinger brought up several points, and I'd consider them all exemplary of why we must find ways to push forward. The things that will come about from something like Mars colonization, which I also don't really get as an objective in and of itself, are enumerable, and without objectives like exploring space there's no real good reason to spend the scratch.

And the benefits far outweigh simply the scientific advancements, huge though they may be. Kids don't typically grow up wanting to invent new polymers. Plenty of them grow up wanting to be astronauts, and find themselves working on the theoretical physics side instead. Space exploration is a helluva recruiting tool the STEM disciplines. It's also one of the very few things that essentially everybody on Earth can get behind. Even countries where the people essentially hate one anther can stop to appreciate great achievements like milestones in space exploration. Plenty of other good reasons why everybody benefits when we try to do huge things, even if the immediate goal isn't all that interesting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2008 on: April 26, 2023, 09:42:36 AM »

Seems to me it would be a good idea to demonstrate we can keep out current planet liveable before we try to make a planet with no atmosphere and soil full of perchlorate habitable.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2009 on: April 26, 2023, 09:52:09 AM »

Seems to me it would be a good idea to demonstrate we can keep out current planet liveable before we try to make a planet with no atmosphere and soil full of perchlorate habitable.

Sure, but backups don't hurt. Fidelity has demonstrated over the last 10 years that they can seemingly keep my retirement money safe, but I still have the entirety of my portfolio split across three companies just in case.

We could make Earth the most ideal celestial body in the universe and it won't mean dick if a comet we can't/don't have time to stop comes our way.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2010 on: April 26, 2023, 09:52:45 AM »

We stand a better chance that the latter simply because we'd all be interested in trying. It's new and exciting. We're more interested in fighting about it rather than actually trying to salvage the Earth.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2011 on: April 26, 2023, 11:03:36 AM »
Any human life on Mars will never be long term self sustainable in the next century, and probably much longer than that. Hell, life on the ISS requires a whole supply infrastructure to sustain. I'm not against starting the process, but we have to be realistic about what the best and most effective ways of protecting ourselves are, and a mars lifeboat ain't it as concerns the next few generations at least.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2012 on: April 26, 2023, 11:11:46 AM »
Any human life on Mars will never be long term self sustainable in the next century, and probably much longer than that. Hell, life on the ISS requires a whole supply infrastructure to sustain.

Well, too be fair the only resource the ISS comes with is the station itself. Literally every other thing provided has to be supplied. At least Mars has water, caves, soil, some kind of an atmosphere (not suggesting we'd breathe it), and room. 

As for the next century bit, I specifically used 1000 and 5000 year timelines in my previous post just for that reason. I don't think anyone is expecting anything of substance in just the next century.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2013 on: April 27, 2023, 01:23:44 PM »
This seems pretty quick, even when taking into account "Elon time".

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2015 on: April 27, 2023, 02:18:06 PM »
Conversely:

https://www.space.com/spacex-starship-faa-mishap-investigation

"This is standard practice for all mishap investigations."

The FAA approvals are always temporary. I believe that they're reinstated for each launch and then immediately expire. He's blown up rockets before and he'll do so again. The FAA knows this. That said, they might mandate some changes, but they're probably changes he's already willing to make.

"Aspiring to have no flame diverter in Boca, but this could turn out to be a mistake,"

E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2016 on: April 30, 2023, 04:54:05 AM »
Before and after footage. You gotta give SpaceX credit for the amount of transparency they have with this project. The fact that people can drive so close to a freakin active rocket launch site and see what's going on up close is quite something. I feel like alot of people don't seem to be aware of that.

Starship Launch Aftermath

Adding this great analysis of what went wrong:

I Watched the Starship Test Flight at 0.25x Speed & Saw What Went Wrong | Starship Flight Analysis
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 12:33:23 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2017 on: May 26, 2023, 10:42:36 PM »
Space X recap of Starship launch:

https://youtu.be/_krgcofiM6M

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2018 on: May 27, 2023, 03:34:42 AM »
So NASA has also contracted Blue Orgin for it's Artemis Lunar lander. Let the competition commence!!  :corn

Offline Azyiu

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2020 on: June 19, 2023, 03:51:13 PM »
Interesting visualization of the 2024 solar eclipse

https://youtu.be/sOpYoO_SK7o

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2021 on: June 19, 2023, 04:37:34 PM »
Interesting visualization of the 2024 solar eclipse

https://youtu.be/sOpYoO_SK7o

Very cool!! I'm going to try and be in Austin for it, by cousin lives there so a room will be available for free. I guarantee hotel rates are going to be sky high if they're not all booked already.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2022 on: June 19, 2023, 09:17:16 PM »
I'm a member of an astronomy association here, and there's been email chains going on since October that some members have booked 2-3 hotels just in case  :lol

Given how unpredictable the weather is, I'll try my luck with Niagara falls since I can drive to it. Hopefully weather will cooperate

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2023 on: June 19, 2023, 09:55:41 PM »
I'm a member of an astronomy association here, and there's been email chains going on since October that some members have booked 2-3 hotels just in case  :lol
They're fools! Spend less money at Academy for a tent, bag, air mattress, and Coleman stove+lantern. For a good eclipse you're better off out at some lake in the boonies than you are at a Ramada outside of Dayton.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2024 on: June 19, 2023, 10:39:20 PM »
Had to check when we in Sweden have the next one:

"The next total solar eclipse in Sweden is in 37737 days on Wednesday, 10/16/2126."

:corn

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2025 on: July 06, 2023, 06:45:56 AM »
While I'm not getting my hopes up, the new study on Betelgeuse is interesting. The paper is not peer reviewed yet, but there is chatter that the data is correct.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2306.00287.pdf

If true, Betelgeuse going supernova might be sooner than expected, with an optimistic prediction of just a few decades.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #2026 on: August 24, 2023, 06:10:12 AM »
With a reported budget of just $75 million, India’s Chandrayaan-3 spacecraft successfully landed on the moon’s south pole yesterday is a spectacular achievement. Now sooner than later someone will have to land on the Clavius crater and start digging.  :biggrin:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: August 24, 2023, 06:14:56 AM »
While I'm not getting my hopes up, the new study on Betelgeuse is interesting. The paper is not peer reviewed yet, but there is chatter that the data is correct.

If true, Betelgeuse going supernova might be sooner than expected, with an optimistic prediction of just a few decades.

That would be incredible if it went supernova in our lifetime.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2028 on: August 24, 2023, 06:31:56 AM »

That would be incredible if it went supernova in our lifetime.

I know it's not a complicated idea, but it still always blows my mind a bit that if we were to witness that in our lifetime, the event itself actually already happened back in the 1400s.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2029 on: August 24, 2023, 06:33:53 AM »
With a reported budget of just $75 million, India’s Chandrayaan-3 spacecraft successfully landed on the moon’s south pole yesterday is a spectacular achievement. Now sooner than later someone will have to land on the Clavius crater and start digging.  :biggrin:

By comparison, it cost $100M to make the movie Gravity  :lol