Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 193419 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1925 on: August 30, 2022, 01:48:42 PM »
I'm not entirely sure the public should be too mad about deaths regarding crewed launches to the moon or beyond.  I feel like it's expected and everyone involved knows the risks.  Not trying to say we shouldn't care or do what's necessary to protect people, but deaths from unexpected mistakes or unknowns seems like a given to me. I don't think I'd react differently to a spacex disaster compared to a nasa disaster.
Seldom are they unexpected mistakes or unknowns, though. There are almost always reasons to be pissed off about them because by and large they should have been prevented. The only one I can think of that really came out of the blue is going to be the crew of Soyuz 11, and while I'm not an expert, that would still most likely be a result of cutting corners somewhere. NASA doesn't screw things up by being cheap. It screws things up with arrogance and complacency. Space X stands a decent chance of screwing up by being careless. NASA can't fail. Space X can.

When doing something new, it's almost guaranteed there will be unseen mistakes and/or unknown.  These things may often be very easy to notice in review of what happened, but not always so obvious going in.  Going to the moon isn't really new though.  I'd imagine deaths from missions to the moon would be more maddening, but the more ambitious goals are almost certainly going to lead to deaths.  At the end of the day, it's people doing this and people make mistakes.  It's inevitable IMO.
Absolutely. And the more complex a thing is the more unknowns there are that can kill you. Chernobyl is a perfect example of that. The engineering flaw that caused it to blow up was something nobody had ever imagined. Spaceflight deaths have always been knowns, though. North American had made repeated warnings that testing the CM with pressurized pure o2 was a really bad idea, and NASA and the astronauts knew there was shoddy wiring in the CM. Thiokol (and Rockwell) both tried to get NASA to scrub the Challenger launch and were rebuffed. Guys at Marshall and former astronauts were accutely aware of the risk of falling insulation and NASA repeatedly ignored the warnings. ("Well, they've never caused a problem before" is a recurring theme with NASA.) None of these were the sorts of deaths you expect when doing something new and dangerous. You can accept casualties you cannot foresee or prevent. These were all deaths that were easily preventable and certainly should have been. They're far more likely, I think, and these are the sorts of deaths I think will be more accepable on NASA's watch than Space X's.

Interestingly, Apollo 13 actually was one of those unknown or unpredictable mishaps, and in that case NASA pulled off a miracle. I've long maintained that as bad as NASA sucks at doing the routine, they're every bit as exceptional at handling contingency.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1927 on: September 21, 2022, 05:05:14 AM »
The sound of impacts sounded cool and they remind me of sound effects in Mario games somehow.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1928 on: September 22, 2022, 12:16:45 PM »
Behold the official theme for the United States Space Force:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSV3Q4ztGaA&ab_channel=TheMilitaryOfficersAssociationofAmerica

Straight out of Monty Python.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1929 on: September 26, 2022, 05:46:31 PM »
Watching us crash a thing into an asteroid was very cool today.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1930 on: September 26, 2022, 06:00:33 PM »
I didn't realize they would have a camera. The close up of the asteroid looked nice
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1931 on: September 26, 2022, 07:18:02 PM »
I believe there was also a smaller device trailing behind to capture the impact from a different perspective. Cant wait to see that footage too!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1932 on: September 27, 2022, 04:01:40 AM »
I watched the live feed on YouTube, and it was really cool. Cooler yet, that final partial photo was being transmitted half way as the impact took place. Do we have any up-to-date trajectory of Dimorphos? Cooler still, I suggest you guys go search for "nasa dart mission" on google, and see that little effect they have done to that search.  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1933 on: September 27, 2022, 05:03:26 AM »
Plus it was cool to get a little payback for the dinosaurs...

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1934 on: September 27, 2022, 05:07:02 AM »
Plus it was cool to get a little payback for the dinosaurs...

Sorry, pal. Then you will have to pick on someone bigger.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1935 on: September 29, 2022, 07:38:15 AM »
We're going to Titan!

https://noshma.com/astronomy/its-official-nasas-sending-a-mission-to-titan-a-top-candidate-for-alien-life/?fbclid=IwAR2ZWF_BECgLLQ6Qe5f25c4ImhjacsBurEAHMypoY1l7Ll9FaDG3Akz5g8s

I remember this being discussed years ago. I wasn't aware we were sending around a hopper drone.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1936 on: September 29, 2022, 08:01:43 AM »
I knew about Dragonfly, but I didn't know a launch window is now set for 2026. Well, just stay alive and stay tuned til 2038 everyone to find out if there is alien life on Titan  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1937 on: November 02, 2022, 11:10:25 AM »
Cool seeing the two boosters land so close to eachother.

I also heard that NASA and Space X are discussing a possible Hubble reboost doing EVA.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1938 on: November 02, 2022, 01:10:25 PM »

I also heard that NASA and Space X are discussing a possible Hubble reboost doing EVA.
I was thinking it was going to be an unmanned deal. Last I heard they were just sort of knocking around if it would even be possible.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1939 on: November 02, 2022, 02:24:40 PM »

I was thinking it was going to be an unmanned deal. Last I heard they were just sort of knocking around if it would even be possible.
Yea apparently it's only a study with no current plan but maybe in the future.

NASA and SpaceX signed an unfunded Space Act Agreement Thursday, Sept. 22, to study the feasibility of a SpaceX and Polaris Program idea to boost the agency’s Hubble Space Telescope into a higher orbit with the Dragon spacecraft, at no cost to the government.

There are no plans for NASA to conduct or fund a servicing mission or compete this opportunity; the study is designed to help the agency understand the commercial possibilities.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/nasa-spacex-to-study-hubble-telescope-reboost-possibility

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1940 on: November 05, 2022, 12:24:46 PM »
Man, we live in the beginning of a new era where ordinary people have the option to experience zero-g and see Earth from "space". Sure the price tag is still hefty with a whoppin $1.25 million per ticket but still though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXXlSG-du7c&ab_channel=DudePerfect

Someone should offer a bunch of flat earthers a ride.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1941 on: November 06, 2022, 06:50:01 AM »

They can believe we are living in a computer simulation even. Why waste a seat?  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1942 on: November 06, 2022, 09:10:06 AM »
Man, we live in the beginning of a new era where ordinary people have the option to experience zero-g and see Earth from "space". Sure the price tag is still hefty with a whoppin $1.25 million per ticket but still though.

Word "ordinary" is doing some heavy lifting there. :P
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1943 on: November 06, 2022, 09:29:43 AM »

Word "ordinary" is doing some heavy lifting there. :P
I guess more appropriately millionares and lucky people which in a way can be called ordinary folks.  :biggrin:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1944 on: November 25, 2022, 03:18:26 PM »
Artemis Launch Sound Experience - Listen to NASA's SLS Rocket Roar with mics placed inside the pad

Man that sound is immense and weird in how it builds up, sounds like wire tension! Would be a dream to experience a launch like that IRL.

Holy shit, the close up at the end 8:20!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 03:24:09 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1945 on: December 06, 2022, 10:20:32 AM »
Extremely underwhelmed and a little bit 'embarrassed' by the generic and boring pictures the Orion moon flyby produced. Pretty lame IMO.....normally I'm good with spending $$$ on space exploration and what not but this was a massive waste of money. Unless there's just a top secret aspect as to why they 'really' sent this thing out there....then maybe it's justifiable....but if what we got is what it was..... :tdwn
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1946 on: December 06, 2022, 10:43:55 AM »
Extremely underwhelmed and a little bit 'embarrassed' by the generic and boring pictures the Orion moon flyby produced. Pretty lame IMO.....normally I'm good with spending $$$ on space exploration and what not but this was a massive waste of money. Unless there's just a top secret aspect as to why they 'really' sent this thing out there....then maybe it's justifiable....but if what we got is what it was..... :tdwn
I could be wrong, but I believe this mission, Artermis I, was supposed to be a test flight before sending humans to the moon again.

We probably could've gotten better pictures, but I don't think that was part of this mission at all.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1947 on: December 06, 2022, 10:51:18 AM »
I could be wrong, but I believe this mission, Artermis I, was supposed to be a test flight before sending humans to the moon again.

We probably could've gotten better pictures, but I don't think that was part of this mission at all.

I hope that is the case....that'd explain the lack of anything real exciting. Appreciate the info.  :tup

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1948 on: December 06, 2022, 11:03:58 AM »
Yeah, not the object of the exercise. Those came from a navigational camera, which suggests that stellar photography wasn't really what it was about. The next mission will be manned, and the third will be a landing.

Also, they're still pretty good pictures.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1949 on: December 06, 2022, 11:05:38 AM »
Artemis I was most definitely just a test flyby. It wasn't a mission of any kind beyond completing the trip to the moon and back.   

That being said, I'm in the camp that the Artemis program is a massive resource suck and shouldn't exist, and NASA's budget would be much better spent elsewhere. There's no need for the government to be in the business of launching anything anymore, especially at a price tag of over $1B per launch with a comically long turnaround time in-between. They should be focused on landers, rovers, orbiters, deep space imaging, asteroid deflection, and anything else research related.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1950 on: December 06, 2022, 11:11:53 AM »
Artemis I was most definitely just a test flyby. It wasn't a mission of any kind beyond completing the trip to the moon and back.   

That being said, I'm in the camp that the Artemis program is a massive resource suck and shouldn't exist, and NASA's budget would be much better spent elsewhere. There's no need for the government to be in the business of launching anything anymore, especially at a price tag of over $1B per launch with a comically long turnaround time in-between. They should be focused on landers, rovers, orbiters, deep space imaging, asteroid deflection, and anything else research related.
I'd say that about the SLS, but not the overall program. It's a pretty ambitious program, and I like what they're looking to do. And I'm not sure I'd trust Musk to do it, either right or at all. Seems the better move would just be to pay him to launch NASA's hardware. That said, has Musk ever put anything into lunar orbit?
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1951 on: December 06, 2022, 11:19:18 AM »

I'd say that about the SLS, but not the overall program. It's a pretty ambitious program, and I like what they're looking to do. And I'm not sure I'd trust Musk to do it, either right or at all. Seems the better move would just be to pay him to launch NASA's hardware. That said, has Musk ever put anything into lunar orbit?

That's fair. I'll echo that. My real beef is with with the rocket and launch system, not the program as a whole. 

SpaceX hasn't put anything in lunar orbit yet, but that's what Starship is being developed for. I'd put my money on Musk if I were a betting man. As far as launching stuff into space goes, his company has delivered on basically everything they said they would.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: December 06, 2022, 11:29:44 AM »
I'm not nearly as 'in the know' as folks like EB, Brian...XJ and MrBoom....all the guys who regularly post in here. I am certainly fascinated by the universe and spend many a night on Youtube rabbit holes that detail just how vast and incomprehensible it is (which oddly enough strengthens my Faith and doesn't deteriorate it...whole other conversation)

I do find it a bit disappointing that we don't have people walking on Mars at this point though. I'd have thought for sure we'd at minimum have manned orbits of Mars by now....if not touchdown and history being made.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1953 on: December 06, 2022, 01:15:53 PM »

That's fair. I'll echo that. My real beef is with with the rocket and launch system, not the program as a whole. 

SpaceX hasn't put anything in lunar orbit yet, but that's what Starship is being developed for. I'd put my money on Musk if I were a betting man. As far as launching stuff into space goes, his company has delivered on basically everything they said they would.
Starship is actually what Artemis will be using for its LEM. Not sure what Elon's plans for it are and when they might come to fruition.

As for SpaceX, space exploration is just something I'm not hugely comfortable outsourcing to the free market. I don't have anywhere near as much faith in market forces as a motivation for safety as other seem to. That said, they've been doing very good work thus far. I can just see Go Fever getting the best of them at some point.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1954 on: December 06, 2022, 04:25:27 PM »
Artemis I is basically an un-crewed dry run of all of the tech required for the future missions using the tech that will travel to the moon, with exception of the HLS (Starship). Current mission plan is for a human flyby in 2024, and a landing the following year. It remains to be seen if this schedule holds. I'm hopeful SpaceX will deliver on the promises of Starship, even if Musk is doing his best to drive his reputation and mental health into the dirt.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1955 on: December 07, 2022, 09:32:44 AM »
I think the landing date is definitely going to be delayed. I mean, we still haven't seen the lunar lander prototype up until this point. I don't think NASA would do anything too rapidly to ensure a fully functional prototype is built before a soft deadline. Another item of interest is the Toyota Lunar Cruiser. I read something earlier this year that the company is still committed to building it. Perhaps it becomes a reality before the lunar lander? We will just have to wait and see.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1956 on: December 07, 2022, 09:49:07 AM »
I think the landing date is definitely going to be delayed. I mean, we still haven't seen the lunar lander prototype up until this point. I don't think NASA would do anything too rapidly to ensure a fully functional prototype is built before a soft deadline. Another item of interest is the Toyota Lunar Cruiser. I read something earlier this year that the company is still committed to building it. Perhaps it becomes a reality before the lunar lander? We will just have to wait and see.
Isn't Starship the lunar lander? I think it's a different block version, but the main bits are the same.
E.F. Benson

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1957 on: December 07, 2022, 09:52:08 AM »
You might be right, but I was under the impression that the lander itself is an individual craft like in the Apollo missions.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1958 on: December 07, 2022, 10:01:24 AM »
Starship is the class, Starship HLS is the variant that can actually land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_HLS

The idea is the lander will be launched, refuelled and then transfer to luna orbit separately from the crew, which will use the Boeing Orion system just tested to get to/from the moon, and then they will do a crew transfer in luna orbit before descending.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1959 on: December 08, 2022, 04:10:00 PM »
Everyday Astronaut Tim is going around the moon, that's pretty damn epic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFIuzormhYU&ab_channel=EverydayAstronaut