Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 193630 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1855 on: March 17, 2022, 01:39:07 PM »
That's really cool! I just love how smooth the progress have been from lift-off to now. I'm so excited for the deep space discoveries JWST will bring.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1856 on: May 12, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »
The first picture of a supermassive black hole was revealed today, I think there was an illustration of it before that I had seen and this looks remarkably similar to that.

https://eventhorizontelescope.org/blog/astronomers-reveal-first-image-black-hole-heart-our-galaxy
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1857 on: May 12, 2022, 10:03:37 AM »
It's the first image of the Black Hole in the center of our galaxy, but they revealed the image of a Black Hole at the center of Messier 87 (Another galaxy) a few years ago. Still cool though.

First image:

Image from today:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1858 on: May 12, 2022, 10:26:32 AM »
Watching the European Commission press conference right now.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1859 on: May 14, 2022, 12:49:25 PM »
Elon Musk Explains Updates To Starship And Tours Starbase! [Spring 2022]

Even though I don't understand 80% of what they talk about it's still fun seeing them so interactive with eachother. So much passion goes into what they do.

Also that place is freakin huge!

Go up SpaceX's Starship-catching robotic launch tower with Elon Musk
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 07:54:11 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1860 on: May 15, 2022, 04:13:55 PM »
Sry for double post but I find this absolutely fascinating. So much stuff goes into producing an image like the Sagittarius A. It's also a very well made video by Veritasium.

A Picture of the Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1861 on: May 30, 2022, 08:00:45 PM »
For those interested and feeling adventurous, we might have a meteor shower/storm later tonight, around 1AM Est.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1862 on: July 10, 2022, 09:27:44 PM »
First full color image from the Webb will be released by the President at 5pm EDT tomorrow.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1863 on: July 11, 2022, 04:12:45 AM »
Should be really interesting!  :tup

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1864 on: July 11, 2022, 06:47:39 AM »
My body is ready!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1865 on: July 11, 2022, 07:13:36 AM »
Same here, can't wait. Extremely excited about tomorrow where NASA gives out more details on the images captured.

They did release another test image that had some incredible details and some guy made an awesome video comparing his telescope image to that of the JWST.
It's a great video, kudos to the person who put this together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1mObQX7NN8&ab_channel=k2qogir

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1866 on: July 11, 2022, 04:25:21 PM »
Ok...first image is out...basically a grain of sand at arm's length section of the sky, and it's like the deep space shot on steroids. Hopefully they'll have some HD images out soon, but yeah, this fucker is gonna change everything.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1867 on: July 11, 2022, 04:37:23 PM »
Yeah rest of the data is out tomorrow, image is of the galaxy cluster SMACS 0723. Amazing stuff.

https://www.nasa.gov/webbfirstimages

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1868 on: July 11, 2022, 05:20:40 PM »
Just looking at the tempature difference on Webb which side  of the sun it's facing gives an inside how hostile space is.

From +113 to -449 yeezes!

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1869 on: July 11, 2022, 06:42:24 PM »
Not sure if true or not, but apparently Hubble Vs. JSWT

I say not sure if true because I don't remember seeing that same image from Hubble

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1870 on: July 11, 2022, 06:57:37 PM »
I'd believe it based on the detraction spikes. Because of the shape of the effective aperture, Hubble images have four major spikes whereas JWST have six.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1871 on: July 11, 2022, 08:07:09 PM »
Yeah I think I saw the same image on Twitter and they had the source details of the Hubble pic. The conference tomorrow should be interesting. NASA have already mentioned what the five locations will be

These listed targets below represent the first wave of full-color scientific images and spectra the observatory has gathered, and the official beginning of Webb’s general science operations. They were selected by an international committee of representatives from NASA, ESA, CSA, and the Space Telescope Science Institute.

- Carina Nebula: The Carina Nebula is one of the largest and brightest nebulae in the sky, located approximately 7,600 light-years away in the southern constellation Carina. Nebulae are stellar nurseries where stars form. The Carina Nebula is home to many massive stars, several times larger than the Sun.

- WASP-96 b (spectrum): WASP-96 b is a giant planet outside our solar system, composed mainly of gas. The planet, located nearly 1,150 light-years from Earth, orbits its star every 3.4 days. It has about half the mass of Jupiter, and its discovery was announced in 2014.

- Southern Ring Nebula: The Southern Ring, or “Eight-Burst” nebula, is a planetary nebula – an expanding cloud of gas, surrounding a dying star. It is nearly half a light-year in diameter and is located approximately 2,000 light years away from Earth.

- Stephan’s Quintet: About 290 million light-years away, Stephan’s Quintet is located in the constellation Pegasus. It is notable for being the first compact galaxy group ever discovered in 1877. Four of the five galaxies within the quintet are locked in a cosmic dance of repeated close encounters.

- SMACS 0723: Massive foreground galaxy clusters magnify and distort the light of objects behind them, permitting a deep field view into both the extremely distant and intrinsically faint galaxy populations.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1872 on: July 12, 2022, 01:28:19 AM »
Yeah I think I saw the same image on Twitter and they had the source details of the Hubble pic. The conference tomorrow should be interesting. NASA have already mentioned what the five locations will be

- WASP-96 b (spectrum): WASP-96 b is a giant planet outside our solar system, composed mainly of gas. The planet, located nearly 1,150 light-years from Earth, orbits its star every 3.4 days. It has about half the mass of Jupiter, and its discovery was announced in 2014.
This sounds the most exciting on paper but the image i'm imagining won't look anything like the real thing.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1873 on: July 12, 2022, 11:06:30 AM »
It's a real comparison. You can find the raw files from HST here:

https://archive.stsci.edu/prepds/relics/color_images/smacs0723-73.html
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1874 on: July 12, 2022, 11:16:08 AM »
The new images released today are again breathtaking.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1875 on: July 12, 2022, 11:20:25 AM »
Just stupid levels of breathtaking.  :hefdaddy

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1877 on: July 12, 2022, 11:45:02 AM »
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/main_image_star-forming_region_carina_nircam_final-5mb.jpg

Holy. Moley.

That one is so insane it looks fake. I'm actually having a hard time convincing my brain it's not a painting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1878 on: July 12, 2022, 01:45:42 PM »
Amazing stuff!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1879 on: July 12, 2022, 01:48:14 PM »
I wonder what the actual resolution is on the pictures?

Amazing stuff!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1880 on: July 12, 2022, 02:17:26 PM »
They just released this one as well.....

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: July 12, 2022, 02:25:06 PM »
Not following this thread at all but saw this post via the 'Recent Posts' link and had to jump in and say well played.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1882 on: July 12, 2022, 02:25:38 PM »
LMAO I now need to watch that movie, both cuts.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1883 on: July 12, 2022, 02:27:47 PM »
 :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1884 on: July 12, 2022, 03:58:02 PM »
Oh my fucking Zod!  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1885 on: July 12, 2022, 05:51:54 PM »
I'm a big fan of science simply for the sake of science. I'm also a big James Burke fan, so I understand very well that there's no telling where any discovery might take us. So I'm real cool with the JWST. They seem to have done a super job.  :tup

At the same time, I was kind of expecting something new and revolutionary. I don't see that here. I see "much better," but nothing really game changing. The pictures we're seeing look great, but twenty five years ago we were all oohing and awing over the HST pictures. This seems rather underwhelming to me.

Also, HST was able to look back to about Boom+500 million years. JWST might be able to go back as far as Boom+100. Is that 400 million year difference likely to be all that meaningful? From what I can tell they both make up an early chunk of the cosmological dark ages, before which very little was actually happening. Are they already working on a telescope that'll take us back to B+10?

Lastly, I'd be interested in knowing how much of what we're seeing is data and how much is interpolation. The reason the current picture looks like a painting is because in some respects it is. If nothing else it was colorized. I'd be curious to know how close to the pretty pictures the raw data is. Or, more to the point, how much of that is human interpretation.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1886 on: July 12, 2022, 06:50:01 PM »
They actually had the scientists who interpreted the data into the pictures describe their methods during the NASA stream this morning, I was working at the time, so couldn't pay close attention. And even if I could, I miserably failed college physics, so most of it would probably go over my head anyways.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1887 on: July 12, 2022, 06:52:38 PM »
I don't know if the released pictures are the extent of the power of JWST. I assume the instruments are a lot more sensitive than Hubble and will be able to reach out further, it could just be what was prioritized to get things going.

You're right about these being a painting and in a sense they all are. These pictures aren't visible in the regular spectrum that you and I see, they are of different infrared wavelengths that are assigned colors so to speak at various depths. It's the same case with the pictures from Hubble. Often different layers of data are combined to give these grandiose picturesque spacecapes. NASA should make all the raw data available at some point, they often do from what I understand.

Here's the description on the Carina image

These images are a composite of separate exposures acquired by the James Webb Space Telescope using the NIRCam instrument. Several filters were used to sample narrow and broad wavelength ranges. The color results from assigning different hues (colors) to each monochromatic (grayscale) image associated with an individual filter. In this case, the assigned colors are:   Red: F444W, Orange: F335M, Yellow: F470N, Green: F200W, Cyan: F187N, Blue: F090W

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1888 on: July 13, 2022, 04:59:30 AM »
At the same time, I was kind of expecting something new and revolutionary. I don't see that here. I see "much better," but nothing really game changing. The pictures we're seeing look great, but twenty five years ago we were all oohing and awing over the HST pictures. This seems rather underwhelming to me.

It terms of resolution and ability to pick out distant objects out of the background noise, it blows HST out of the water, but this is the least interesting part of JWST. Hubble was a visible light and near-infrared telescope and so could only really do science on objects and features emitted at those wavelengths. Older objects however, have been red shifted so much that most of their light is in the mid and far-infrared, and that is where JWST excels which means that it can look at objects much older and closer to the big bang than HST ever could. Additionally, IR spectroscopy is very useful in determining molecular composition, as molecules have a very distinct IR emission spectrum related to their structure and how the molecules bend and vibrate:

https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/dp/chemistry_sl/ib/16/revision-notes/11-measurements--data-processes/11-1-spectroscopic-identification/11-1-4-infrared-spectroscopy/

JWST has already managed to measure the molecular composition of the atmosphere of a planet 1000 light years away. That is remarkable.

https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/Webb/Webb_reveals_steamy_atmosphere_of_distant_planet_in_exquisite_detail

Also, HST was able to look back to about Boom+500 million years. JWST might be able to go back as far as Boom+100. Is that 400 million year difference likely to be all that meaningful?

Long story short: yes. The transition from the dark age to the first stars being born occurred somewhere in the period of 100-500 million years after the big bang. With JWST there is a good possibility of being able to observe the very first stars that ever existed, and how the large scale structure of the universe was created.

Lastly, I'd be interested in knowing how much of what we're seeing is data and how much is interpolation. The reason the current picture looks like a painting is because in some respects it is. If nothing else it was colorized. I'd be curious to know how close to the pretty pictures the raw data is. Or, more to the point, how much of that is human interpretation.

Vox did a pretty summary of how the photos are colourised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSG0MnmUsEY&t=211s

To summarise: the telescope itself monochromatic, so the raw data is just going to be a black and white photo. To get any colour at all, you have to take several exposures with different filters that select specific wavelengths, and then combine them digitally (your digital camera is also monochromatic at the sensor level but uses an in built filter to create a colour image. If you can use broadband filters in the red, green and blue spectrum, you can can generate true to life pictures, and when Hubble or JWST takes pictures of things like Jupiter or planets in our solar system, this is what you see. For other objects, you instead use narrowband filters that select only a very specific wavelength that corresponds to a particular atomic feature (for example H-alpha) and then map that to either the red green or blue channels in the picture. That way the composite photo becomes a map describing the composition of the thing you are looking at. It's not interpolation, any more than representing population density using a graph like this is interpolation. It's just a method of data presentation. The data itself is real.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1889 on: July 13, 2022, 06:15:32 AM »
Thanks for the summary, very informative. (except for your constant misspelling of 'color' of course)