Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 193227 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1785 on: July 21, 2021, 10:08:26 AM »
That's cool!  how many pieces was it?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1786 on: July 21, 2021, 11:16:15 AM »
That's cool!  how many pieces was it?

Pictured there, technically 8, but it's only 7 files. The bottom piece fucked up about 70% of the way through, and I had to print the remaining 30% as a different piece. Including the stand, the final model (not counting the screwup) will have 10 pieces. There's a stand I'll be making, and two connector pieces that go inside the model to help anchor everything together.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1787 on: July 21, 2021, 07:11:52 PM »
are you going to blow it up? :)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1788 on: August 03, 2021, 12:30:41 PM »

Negative! Tis' a static model.

I can't believe we're going to finally about to see this thing fly!!!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1422607954101084161?s=21

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1789 on: August 03, 2021, 03:13:15 PM »

So excited form that!  :metal

Watching Tim's tour of Spacebase with Elon, so much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t705r8ICkRw&ab_channel=EverydayAstronaut

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1790 on: August 05, 2021, 09:46:49 AM »

Or explode.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1791 on: August 05, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »
Not sure which I'd want to see more.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1792 on: August 06, 2021, 02:39:36 AM »
Not sure which I'd want to see more.
Compared to Starship THAT booster is a big badaboom.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1793 on: August 06, 2021, 08:41:54 AM »
Siiiiick   

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1794 on: August 06, 2021, 09:12:52 AM »
Beautiful
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1795 on: August 06, 2021, 03:10:56 PM »
Wow that's incredible but wasn't the first super-heavy booster flight supposed to be without Starship?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1796 on: August 06, 2021, 08:29:36 PM »
Here is another angle

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1797 on: August 07, 2021, 05:07:39 PM »
Part 2: https://youtu.be/SA8ZBJWo73E

It's like a view into Elon's mind. I love how he pauses after a question to think about his answer.

Part 3

The most interesting of all the parts.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 12:44:23 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1798 on: August 11, 2021, 09:26:32 PM »
https://www.space.com/nasa-moon-landing-2024-spacesuit-oig-feasibility

Bummer that the moon mission is delayed, but expected.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #1801 on: August 26, 2021, 06:13:10 PM »

It's like a view into Elon's mind. I love how he pauses after a question to think about his answer.

Part 3

I keep reading more and more how this guy is a lying, stealing cheat.  Not all is at it seems in the world of Musk

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1802 on: August 26, 2021, 07:18:05 PM »

Part 3

It looks like the pauses are a combination of things. Part of it is defensive. There are certainly things he doesn't want to go public. Part of it is thoughtfulness. He knows a ton of stuff about these, and wants to get his facts straight. Part of it is that he's probably stoned as fuck. He looked just like I do on edibles.

I like that the Cybertruck shirt he was wearing was the broken window. And one thing I really like about him is that he really wants to understand all aspects of his projects. He's intensely curious, be it by nature or by necessity, and seems able to converse intelligently about all of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #1803 on: September 01, 2021, 03:49:43 PM »

Part 3

It looks like the pauses are a combination of things. Part of it is defensive. There are certainly things he doesn't want to go public. Part of it is thoughtfulness. He knows a ton of stuff about these, and wants to get his facts straight. Part of it is that he's probably stoned as fuck. He looked just like I do on edibles.

I like that the Cybertruck shirt he was wearing was the broken window. And one thing I really like about him is that he really wants to understand all aspects of his projects. He's intensely curious, be it by nature or by necessity, and seems able to converse intelligently about all of it.

Have you guys actually gone in depth in all what is Elon Musk. All the scamming and failures and scamming and bullshit? Or am I the fooled?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1804 on: September 02, 2021, 10:24:09 AM »
Elon at the very least seems to have a genuine interest in the tech his companies work in, but he's very much standing on the shoulders of giants much cleverer than himself. In that respect he's no different than the other billionaires and tech giant CEOs who cultivate a cult of personality.

Also his insistence of throwing money at hyperloop and the boring company as opposed to just building a goddamn light rail or high speed train system is infuriating.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1805 on: September 02, 2021, 11:02:28 AM »
Elon at the very least seems to have a genuine interest in the tech his companies work in, but he's very much standing on the shoulders of giants much cleverer than himself. In that respect he's no different than the other billionaires and tech giant CEOs who cultivate a cult of personality.

Also his insistence of throwing money at hyperloop and the boring company as opposed to just building a goddamn light rail or high speed train system is infuriating.
We're all standing on the shoulders of giants. At the same time, he seems to be engaged in a one man space race, so while I don't know if he's a good guy or not, I'm rooting for him and Space X. What he's done over the span of 15 years has been remarkable. It's something that would traditionally take massive government involvement, and he's doing what our government is no longer capable of, and doing it fairly well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1806 on: September 02, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »
Don't disagree with that, SpaceX does fantastic work. Where we probably disagree is how much this is attributable to Musk himself.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1807 on: September 02, 2021, 12:33:44 PM »
Don't disagree with that, SpaceX does fantastic work. Where we probably disagree is how much this is attributable to Musk himself.
On a scientific level, zero. On a managerial level a great deal. And while he may be a crook (I really have no idea), I do buy into his sincerity about wanting to change the world. I think the dude want's to all that he can before he runs out of time, and that's good for everybody.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1808 on: September 02, 2021, 01:24:36 PM »
I admire everything Musk is doing. As Barto said, I believe he is genuine about wanting to advance our technology and civilization as a whole. My only beef with Musk is that he has been polluting the night sky.

From a technology stand point, it is great. As someone who observes the night sky regularly, it's fun to catch a satellite here and there (specially through a telescope). As someone who does astrophotography, it's annoying to see a streak in one of my images.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1809 on: September 02, 2021, 02:07:30 PM »
My only beef with Musk is that he has been polluting the night sky.

Yeah. This is brutal. And it's only going to continue to get worse as we 'advance' as a species.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1810 on: September 10, 2021, 09:52:21 PM »
Anyone watch the Netflix documentary on the upcoming Inspiration4 launch? Really well done, and some seriously moving stories, especially the pediatric cancer survivor. I challenge anyone to watch her backstory and not shed a tear or two.

Really getting excited to see the launch now.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1811 on: September 10, 2021, 10:19:31 PM »
My only beef with Musk is that he has been polluting the night sky.

Yeah. This is brutal. And it's only going to continue to get worse as we 'advance' as a species.

I go back and forth with this one so much.

While light pollution in the night sky is a bummer for astronomers, you can't deny being able to bring high speed internet to every inch of this planet isn't advanced as all hell. Doctors, hospitals, construction efforts, governments, locals, educators, etc can now communicate in real time and to modern standards in the most remote and harshest environments our planet has to offer. Solar panels, battery storage, and reliable satellite based communication (video and large amounts of data) are a godsend to a huge number of people on this planet.

I really do sympathize with the back yard astronomers and observatories, but this is true advancement as a species in every sense of the word. I don't think it'll make it's way to the hobbyists, but I'm guessing the ground observatories will eventually incorporate some kind of digital/AI filter that removes the light pollution caused by the satellites, something similar to the software hot fix that allowed Hubble to still see despite the manufacturing defect in the mirror.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 09:05:26 AM by Chino »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1812 on: September 11, 2021, 12:24:38 AM »
I know their visible from earth but can you call that light pollution? That too me sounds more like more "moving stars in the sky light" kind of problem. Light pollution to my knowledge is about light on earth blocking the sky like citylight in cities.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1813 on: September 11, 2021, 07:43:26 AM »
Oh yeah Chino, no argument there. Thats why the first part of my comment was saying that from a technology stand point, what he is doing is great.

Rest of my comment comes more from a selfish view of wanting my astrophotos to be as clean as possible  :P the minor inconvenience to me and others in the same hobby is very, very, very minor compared to what he is doing to advance our technology.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1814 on: September 11, 2021, 09:09:03 AM »
I know their visible from earth but can you call that light pollution? That too me sounds more like more "moving stars in the sky light" kind of problem. Light pollution to my knowledge is about light on earth blocking the sky like citylight in cities.

Taking photos of space requires really long exposures, so those satellites orbiting create very long and annoying white lines in the final pictures.

I'm not sure if "light pollution" is the proper term, I don't know what it's official definition. Either way, the added light in the night sky is making it harder to see into space from Earth. Orbiting telescopes aren't impacted by this.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1815 on: September 11, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »

Taking photos of space requires really long exposures, so those satellites orbiting create very long and annoying white lines in the final pictures.

I'm not sure if "light pollution" is the proper term, I don't know what it's official definition. Either way, the added light in the night sky is making it harder to see into space from Earth. Orbiting telescopes aren't impacted by this.
Oh that makes sense, didn't thought about that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1816 on: September 11, 2021, 11:04:23 AM »
Oh yeah Chino, no argument there. Thats why the first part of my comment was saying that from a technology stand point, what he is doing is great.

Rest of my comment comes more from a selfish view of wanting my astrophotos to be as clean as possible  :P the minor inconvenience to me and others in the same hobby is very, very, very minor compared to what he is doing to advance our technology.

What kind of telescope to you have?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1817 on: September 11, 2021, 02:56:45 PM »

What kind of telescope to you have?

I have 2 scopes: a Celestron 70mm (refractor) Travel Scope and a Celestron NexStar 8SE. I use a ZWO ASI178MC camera, or a Canon T7i with an 24mm, F/2.8 lens for landscape images

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1818 on: September 15, 2021, 03:14:51 PM »
Inspiration4 launch in about 3 hours. I'm probably not awake to see it though, hopefully it all goes well.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1819 on: November 07, 2021, 08:21:13 AM »
Inspiration4 launch in about 3 hours. I'm probably not awake to see it though, hopefully it all goes well.

Did you watch Countdown: Inspiration4 Mission to Space on Netflix? I like the first 2 episodes in this mini series.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020