Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 191527 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1750 on: April 28, 2021, 12:33:33 PM »
RIP Michael Collins, who joined Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on the first historical moon landing, the man that stayed behind. The most difficult task, being the first to go up there, but not descending on the moon.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1751 on: April 28, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »
RIP indeed. And then there was one..
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1752 on: April 30, 2021, 10:53:28 AM »
SN15 today!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1754 on: April 30, 2021, 11:54:42 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1755 on: April 30, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »
Yup, looks like it  :tdwn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1756 on: April 30, 2021, 01:49:23 PM »
Too bad, hopfully it will happen this weekend. Looking forward to this, apparently there's so much improvement on everything since SN11.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1758 on: May 05, 2021, 12:42:18 PM »
Waiting for days now for this that I almost forgot about it today. Thx for reminding!  :tup

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1759 on: May 05, 2021, 12:49:37 PM »
Waiting for days now for this that I almost forgot about it today. Thx for reminding!  :tup

So did I  :lol Youtube is the only application that I have notifications enabled on, and it's for the sole purpose of never missing one of these streams. I get an alert every time Tim goes live.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1760 on: May 05, 2021, 11:19:29 PM »
I of course fell asleep through the whole thing. However I just watched the recap, really awesome they finally nailed the landing. I loved the little correction it did just at the end to keep it vertical.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1761 on: May 07, 2021, 06:56:50 AM »
Elon said on Twitter they might try and attempt a second launch with SN15  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1762 on: May 07, 2021, 08:31:30 AM »
Oh, that could be interesting. I mean why not continue testing it until 'splosion anyway and then move to SN16. Lots of good data could be found eitherway.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1763 on: May 21, 2021, 07:36:19 AM »
We've seen pieces for the Super Heavy booster being manufactured here and there over the last few months. Looks like they're finally getting stacked!!

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-stacking-starship-super-heavy-booster-bn3/

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1764 on: May 23, 2021, 11:37:49 AM »
Awesome! Can't wait for SN20!  :metal

I always start my morning by watching videos from Boca Chica at NASASpaceflight. I love watching all the activity at Starbase so much progress everyday it's insane.

I also follow Marcus House and What about it? on YT, they both summarize everything going on with SpaceX and other space releated news.

• DTF.org Member

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1766 on: June 01, 2021, 02:38:29 AM »
The launch tower at Spaceport is starting to really get some height. It's crazy seeing how tiny the workers are next to it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1767 on: June 19, 2021, 11:41:33 AM »
Some cool and fascinating footage of simulating re-entry by a satellite in a plasma wind tunnel.

Demising a Solar Array Drive Mechanism

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1768 on: July 02, 2021, 07:06:55 AM »
I don't really care for Jeff Bezos or Richard Branson, but I do appreciate their investment in making space more accessible. I hope everything goes well for both on them and their flights.

In other news, I don't know why reading this made me laugh.

https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-civilian-crew-view-from-spaceship-toilet-2021-6

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1769 on: July 02, 2021, 07:17:41 AM »
Yes, seems like the space age is about to commence for real.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1770 on: July 11, 2021, 01:18:12 PM »
Seems like everything went smooth for SpaceShipTwo except for the crappy livestream. Hopefully all future flights will be as successful.

Richard Branson's Message From Space
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 01:37:51 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1772 on: July 11, 2021, 02:53:09 PM »

Space orgy? :lol
Ahh that's probably why the livestream kept cutting out.

Just read on Wiki: "Richard Branson, the British billionaire entrepreneur and owner of the Virgin Group, including Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia, claimed that he joined the mile-high club at age 19".

So I guess you're probably right.  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1773 on: July 11, 2021, 06:12:58 PM »

Space orgy? :lol

It was only a matter of time!

All jokes aside, as space become more accessible, this will become a reality.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1774 on: July 16, 2021, 04:49:04 PM »
HST has been resurrected (the telescope, not the author). I'm glad to hear this. Webb is still a ways off, and there's no guarantee the thing will even work. Hubble will eventually croak, but it occurred to me two weeks ago that it'll be a sad thing when it does.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/16/1016953132/hobbled-hubble-telescope-springs-back-to-life-on-its-backup-system
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1775 on: July 19, 2021, 02:11:12 PM »
"fINAl sErvIcnG miSSioN"

Either Hubble will be serviced forever or they'll send up an updated one when Webb's orbit gets screwed up and it flies off into space.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1776 on: July 20, 2021, 12:11:48 PM »
So touchdown for Blue Orgin and it seems everything went as accordingly. Fun seeing Wally Funk among the passengers, amazing woman!

Whatever one might think about billionares in space i'm trying to look at it from a bigger picture, hopefully this leads to a big step forward for commercial flight. Sure the day I will afford a ticket is most likely way past my time on this earth.  :lol :-[

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1777 on: July 20, 2021, 12:14:14 PM »
So I know nothing about this. I'm curious then, what can suborbital flight help us with? I'm sure it's something, but I'm unsure what it is other than avoiding storms.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1778 on: July 20, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »
So I know nothing about this. I'm curious then, what can suborbital flight help us with? I'm sure it's something, but I'm unsure what it is other than avoiding storms.

I might be wrong, but I believe suborbital flights would help with speed. It can help you travel faster for longer distances.

Not sure if it would take the same amount of energy/fuel though.

So touchdown for Blue Orgin and it seems everything went as accordingly. Fun seeing Wally Funk among the passengers, amazing woman!

Whatever one might think about billionares in space i'm trying to look at it from a bigger picture, hopefully this leads to a big step forward for commercial flight. Sure the day I will afford a ticket is most likely way past my time on this earth.  :lol :-[

I forgot to check this out today but glad it went well. To be honest, I thought this flights would come at a higher price tag, but Virgin Galatic flight will (only) cost $250,000. Which is a lot of money for us common people, but not as expensive as I thought it would be. That just means that when technology gets better, and there is more competition around, the price for a space flight will be a lot more reachable for those who want it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1779 on: July 20, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
I guess the most basic answer is, it's alot cheaper overall than going into space which reflects the ticket prices (~250k), atleast that's the plan moving forward. Since they aren't going into space the training dosen't need to be as intense as the real astrounats has to endure.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1780 on: July 20, 2021, 12:32:55 PM »
Not much. I'd say that it's in our capability to get there, but neither outfit is really doing anything new. Branson and Bezos have basically just done what the USAF and NASA were doing in '61. At best they're helping to decrease the cost going forward, but Musk is really the one pushing that avenue. Elon is doing something very beneficial. These two I'm really not seeing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1781 on: July 20, 2021, 12:37:48 PM »
Not much. I'd say that it's in our capability to get there, but neither outfit is really doing anything new. Branson and Bezos have basically just done what the USAF and NASA were doing in '61. At best they're helping to decrease the cost going forward, but Musk is really the one pushing that avenue. Elon is doing something very beneficial. These two I'm really not seeing.

Yea, I just kept reading about how that Bezos and Branson are doing will ultimately help humanity in huge ways and I'm just curious what that is. If suborbital flight serves no purpose other than the novelty, then I don't see how it helps. But if it improves travel or helps with interplanetary travel, that's awesome but I don't see how it does. Yet. Seems that this one really was just a few billionaires having fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: July 20, 2021, 12:43:44 PM »

To sell tickets to space and profit.  I do think it's somewhat cool to see private companies doing this, but I'm not sure if this is a good use of resources.  However, who am I to say how private citizens spend their money?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1783 on: July 20, 2021, 12:51:56 PM »

Yea, I just kept reading about how that Bezos and Branson are doing will ultimately help humanity in huge ways and I'm just curious what that is. If suborbital flight serves no purpose other than the novelty, then I don't see how it helps. But if it improves travel or helps with interplanetary travel, that's awesome but I don't see how it does. Yet. Seems that this one really was just a few billionaires having fun.
I mean we haven't had anything like this ever so one can't exactly say it's not doing anything for space travel, bringing down the price is a huge deal. A ticket with Space X to ISS is 55 millon which include ALOT of training and preperation. Sure the stuff Space X are doing is alot more exciting and beneficial but still though, maybe i'm optimistic but I think it's pretty cool. We'll see in a couple of years how this will evolve.

You have to start somewhere and since it's expensive I feel it's natural to start with a bunch of billionaries willing to burn money.  :lol

The view is pretty incredible even though it's still suborbital:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HzfrCqCLYw&ab_channel=explorethespace

One thing though, if that was me in one of those seats I would like to sit in silence and just take it all in without out all that cheering and noice.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 01:00:48 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1784 on: July 21, 2021, 08:47:19 AM »
I making a model of SN8