Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 193512 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1610 on: July 23, 2020, 01:05:26 PM »
Oh yeah! Check out what they're doing with "Ms. Tree" (formerly Mr. Steven). It's freaking wild. The fairings cost $5M or $6M for the pair, almost 10% the cost of a Falcon 9. Recovering them is going to really add up once they nail it.

SpaceX caught both fairings on their most recent launch. First time they've managed to catch both of them.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/07/21/spacex-shares-video-of-first-double-fairing-catch/

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1611 on: July 23, 2020, 01:09:23 PM »
Oh yeah! Check out what they're doing with "Ms. Tree" (formerly Mr. Steven). It's freaking wild. The fairings cost $5M or $6M for the pair, almost 10% the cost of a Falcon 9. Recovering them is going to really add up once they nail it.

SpaceX caught both fairings on their most recent launch. First time they've managed to catch both of them.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/07/21/spacex-shares-video-of-first-double-fairing-catch/

That is awesome news!  I hope that is able to become the norm for SpaceX.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1612 on: July 23, 2020, 01:20:27 PM »

That's cool! First I thought how the hell are they going to catch those until they appeared slowly with parachute.  :facepalm:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1613 on: July 23, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »

That's cool! First I thought how the hell are they going to catch those until they appeared slowly with parachute.  :facepalm:

They're remotely controlled as well. They can actually fly (falling with style). The boat and the fairings both steer into a central location. It's wild.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1614 on: July 30, 2020, 04:27:37 AM »
From today the attempts to launch for Mars begin!

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/timeline/launch/

It was one of those things for which you could register and have a boarding pass, I checked and I still have mine, so I'm going to Mars!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1615 on: July 30, 2020, 05:30:13 AM »
Can't wait!! Very excited for this rover. T-minus twenty!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1616 on: July 30, 2020, 05:31:50 AM »
Looking forward to this! ULAs Tory Bruno is such a cool guy with so much knowledge about Rockets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/50163607127/

I'm following Everyday Astronauts livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcd7ePJ6nf8
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1617 on: July 30, 2020, 05:55:57 AM »
Looking forward to this! ULAs Tory Bruno is such a cool guy with so much knowledge about Rockets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/50163607127/

I'm following Everyday Astronauts livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcd7ePJ6nf8

Tim Dodd is a great watch.

I have to say, I really miss Space X's production quality when watching a launch from any other organization. They give us beautiful HD footage (in real time) the entire way up, and then they followup it up with gorgeuos shots of stage separation and fairing deployment. This NASA live stream is okay, but no one else really comes close.   

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1618 on: August 02, 2020, 12:09:07 PM »
Watching the Crew Dragon re-entry.  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1619 on: August 02, 2020, 12:48:15 PM »
aaaaand splashdown!  :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1620 on: August 03, 2020, 06:47:49 AM »
With the James Webb Space Telescope delayed again, some people decided to have some fun with it and create a BiNGO card.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1621 on: August 03, 2020, 06:51:18 AM »
 :lol :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1622 on: August 05, 2020, 12:01:58 PM »
Cool seeing SN5 doing a successful hop, SpaceXs are on a roll now. Funny seeing a cylinder of stainless steel lifting, not the most sexy thing but it's a prototype so it dosen't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9twP82Acw

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1623 on: September 22, 2020, 01:31:03 PM »
https://twitter.com/ShuttleAlmanac/status/1307148793633075200?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1307148793633075200%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nme.com%2Fnews%2Ffilm%2Ftom-cruise-is-officially-going-to-space-for-his-next-movie-2758685

So its confirmed that @CommanderMLA is flying the @Axiom_Space@SpaceX#CrewDragon tourist mission with Director @DougLiman & Tom Cruise. One seat still to be filled. They are to launch in October, 2021.

I mean, bring it on! Even if it's just a documentary about Tom going to space i'm so up for that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1624 on: September 22, 2020, 05:15:45 PM »
(some kind of joke about the millions of women, and men too, who want to go into space with Tom Cruise)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1625 on: October 15, 2020, 12:05:39 PM »

ISS infront of a cresent moon, that's one photo you just don't take like that.  :omg: :tup

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: October 15, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »
Very cool

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1627 on: October 15, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »
Multiple fields of focus, or something?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1628 on: October 15, 2020, 02:47:45 PM »

ISS infront of a cresent moon, that's one photo you just don't take like that.  :omg: :tup

Now that's some seriously cool shit!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #1629 on: October 15, 2020, 10:02:03 PM »
That is an amazing shot for sure, I saw the guy's post on reddit and he explained all the planning that went into preparing for that shot.
This is a rare type of transit. The ISS when it transits the moon is vary rarely illuminated like this, and when it is, it is usually too low on the horizon to get decent details. So I had to make sure to travel to the location of the transit (a space about 200 feet wide and about 10 miles long) but it happened to pass thorugh mostly private property. Thankfully I found a public road that left me a good spot to shoot it. I recorded video at 150fps at 2000mm with a special type of camera for this event to get this level of detail, and timed my shots down to the second to make sure I didn't miss it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1630 on: October 30, 2020, 06:55:32 AM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1631 on: November 14, 2020, 09:03:03 AM »
Hot damn, tomorrow's an exciting day for spacenerds! The first crewed operational mission for SpaceX with a Dragon spacecraft.  :metal

Online faizoff

« Reply #1632 on: November 15, 2020, 06:07:08 PM »
Just watched the launch live with my daughter. I'm so glad she's into space. She could even see the trails from her window. amazing accomplishment by space x. Still blows my mind how they're able to reuse the capsule and rocket.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1633 on: November 17, 2020, 10:56:51 AM »
I'd hate to be the manager that signed off on this stage of the project:
https://spacenews.com/human-error-blamed-for-vega-launch-failure/

WASHINGTON — Arianespace executives said Nov. 17 that the failure of a Vega launch the previous day was caused when the rocket’s upper stage tumbled out of control due to incorrectly installed cables in a control system.

In a call with reporters, Roland Lagier, chief technical officer of Arianespace, said the first three stages of the Vega rocket performed normally after liftoff from Kourou, French Guiana, at 8:52 p.m. Eastern Nov. 16. The Avum upper stage then separated and ignited its engine.

However, “straightaway after ignition” of the upper stage, he said, the vehicle started to tumble out of control. “This loss of control was permanent, inducing significant tumbling behavior, and then the trajectory started to deviate rapidly from the nominal one, leading to the loss of the mission.”

Analysis of the telemetry from the mission, along with data from the production of the vehicle, led them to conclude that cables to two thrust vector control actuators were inverted. Commands intended to go to one actuator went instead to the other, triggering the loss of control.

“This was clearly a production and quality issue, a series of human errors, and not a design one,” Lagier said.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: November 19, 2020, 09:51:33 AM »
Damn, as someone who cables things at work, I've definitely criss crossed cables before to some devastating effect... not quite like that though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1635 on: November 28, 2020, 01:07:32 PM »
Sonic boom from SpaceX rocketbooster landing last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri2b7_8TUVc&ab_channel=GabrielHershberger

Never get tired of hearing it, would be awesome to hear something like that IRL someday.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1636 on: December 01, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »
This is a bummer. I knew that it was structurally unsound. They'd just announced that it would be decommissioned due to safety concerns. Didn't think it'd fall apart so quickly, though.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/01/940767001/arecibo-observatory-telescope-collapses-ending-an-era-of-world-class-research

Long before they CGI'd Pierce Brosnan onto the thing, James Burke climbed around up there to conduct a science experiment. The man sure as hell knew how to shoot impressive sequences.
https://youtu.be/eCp8h9RkaSw?list=PLf02uWXhaGRng_YzH-Ser_VEV4lGSLX_1&t=2631
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1637 on: December 01, 2020, 05:18:07 PM »
Yea I was just about to post about that. Sad seeing such an iconic telescope meeting it's fate like that.

RIP Arecibo

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1638 on: December 01, 2020, 06:24:06 PM »
Real bummer how that thing went out. Poor thing. I always looked at that telescope as one of humanity's most clever solutions.

Online Azyiu

« Reply #1639 on: December 02, 2020, 12:03:39 AM »
Guess fixing those cables are just too financially unsound rather than technically difficult?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1640 on: December 02, 2020, 07:06:51 AM »
I know some of these words!

https://www.rt.com/news/508319-oxygen-fuel-salty-water-mars/

Engineers at the McKelvey School of Engineering at Washington University in St. Louis developed a patented brine electrolysis system that not only works without the need for purified water but actually performs better thanks to the saltiness of the input water.

Salty water isn't potable, and the standard method of separating oxygen from hydrogen contained in water, electrolysis, is notoriously cumbersome and expensive here on Earth, making it orders of magnitude more expensive on the Red Planet.

On Mars, water that isn't frozen is extremely salty, which lowers its freezing temperature but restricts options for hydrolysis, until now.

“Our Martian brine electrolyzer radically changes the logistical calculus of missions to Mars and beyond,” says lead researcher Vijay Ramani. “This technology is equally useful on Earth where it opens up the oceans as a viable oxygen and fuel source.”

Ramani and his team operated their device, which employs custom-engineered ruthenate pyrochlore anodes and a platinum on carbon cathodes, in a simulated Martian atmosphere at -33 degrees Fahrenheit (-36 degrees Celsius) to produce both oxygen and hydrogen.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1641 on: December 03, 2020, 11:54:04 AM »
Some amazing footage of the Arecibo collapse:

https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/arecibo/

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1642 on: December 03, 2020, 12:12:30 PM »
It's really weird how seeing the death of a machine can make me legitimately sad.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1643 on: December 03, 2020, 01:28:04 PM »
The disaster buff in me is quite happy they have footage of its collapse. That they were inspecting that very anchor point when it failed is pretty interesting. Not suspicious, mind you, they knew there was a serious problem there, but certainly fortuitous.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1644 on: December 03, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
I think the footage of all the cables crashing down was a controlled demo.