Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 192681 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1540 on: September 25, 2019, 03:40:51 AM »
^Fascinating!!  This metaphor was absolutely mind blowing.

"If the proton of a hydrogen atom was the size of the sun on this map, we would need 11 more of these maps to show the average distance to the electron."  :omg:

Indeed! I love when it says that we're pathetically insignificant or miraculously important at the same time, considering the huge void that makes up 99,999......% of the universe with us and the other planets being the remaining 0,00......1% of matter.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1541 on: September 29, 2019, 01:22:21 PM »
https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

A friend sent me this a few days ago.  Put in your location and it will give you the times and trajectories of satellites passing overhead.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1542 on: September 30, 2019, 06:25:12 AM »
That satellite thing is cool  :tup

Musk unveiled the latest Starship yesterday. I can't wait to see this thing hop in the coming months and eventually be mounted on top of a Super Heavy booster.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1543 on: September 30, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »
Can't wait for that! I have to admit it's a bit weird seeing a rocket in stainless steel like this.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: September 30, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »
Certainly looks awesome

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1545 on: September 30, 2019, 12:45:02 PM »
Can't wait for that! I have to admit it's a bit weird seeing a rocket in stainless steel like this.

For sure. I don't remember the exact numbers, but by  the time all is said and done, carbon fiber ends up costing about $200 per kilogram, whereas stainless steel only costs around $2.50 for the same amount. The stainless is also good for reentry too, which is kind of important I guess if you've got a few dozen people on board. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1546 on: October 16, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
"Former NASA scientist says they found life on Mars in the 1970s"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/15/us/nasa-life-on-mars-intl-hnk-scli/index.html
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1548 on: November 11, 2019, 02:27:26 PM »
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zmj7pw/theres-growing-evidence-that-the-universe-is-connected-by-giant-structures?utm_source=reddit.com

damn, talk about being a grain of sand
The real takeaway from all of that is we simply don't have a damn clue. We celebrate new theories about how it all works, but in the end they're all just conjecture based on things we know absolutely nothing about, and observations based on what little of the universe we can see, with no idea how much of it lies beyond. Truth be told, I'd put about as much stock in Homer's doughnut shaped universe as I would in these guys and their cosmic superstructure. In the meantime, the course of human knowledge pretty much remains the same as we continue to base our theories on premises that are unfounded to begin with.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1549 on: November 11, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »
Totally agree, but when I read stuff like that, it just makes me feel so small and unimportant.  Which is true, but I only get that feeling when I think about the universe or look at the stars. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1550 on: November 13, 2019, 06:57:24 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/12/world/curiosity-rover-oxygen-scn/index.html

Since it landed in Gale Crater in 2012, the Curiosity rover has been studying the Martian surface beneath its wheels to learn more about the planet's history. But Curiosity also stuck its nose in the air for a big sniff to understand the Martian atmosphere.

So far, this sniffing has resulted in some findings that scientists are still trying to understand.
Earlier this year, the rover's tunable laser spectrometer, called SAM, which stands for Sample Analysis at Mars, detected the largest amount of methane ever measured during its mission.
SAM has also found that over time, oxygen behaves in a way that can't be explained by any chemical process scientists currently understand.

Interesting read overall.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1551 on: November 13, 2019, 04:36:30 PM »
Starlink satellites visible from Earth: https://youtu.be/gRz3988El7Q

That's pretty nuts!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1552 on: November 13, 2019, 05:13:20 PM »
Beautiful!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1553 on: November 13, 2019, 05:17:51 PM »
Wow! No way!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1554 on: November 14, 2019, 07:46:42 AM »
That's crazy!   

Speaking of SpaceX, they successfully tested Dragon's launch escape system yesterday. One step closer to Crew Dragon  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: December 18, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
I love taking these pics... from last week's full moon.  I took this picture as I was leaving a concert in Denver.  Was chatting wtih a girl and she's like wow the full moon is so nice! So I said, you want a better look?  Since I had my concert camera on me, boom, in five seconds was showing her this:

Needless to say, we went to a bar afterwards  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1556 on: December 18, 2019, 01:30:00 PM »
That's a nice picture!

What type of camera do you have?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: December 18, 2019, 01:36:46 PM »
Panasonic Lumix DS60.  I use it for the optical zoom for concert videos which works great, but when I got the camera I was just trying to see if it could take a picture of the moon and somehow it takes really good ones handheld.  It's like a $200 camera these days, nothing high end at all.  I often sneak in video of the moon into my concert videos if it's part of the night, which it was and I included it in my Slackers video.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1558 on: December 21, 2019, 01:37:50 PM »
Don’t know if this is the best place to post this, but we have a Space Force! Sixth military branch.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-military/2019/12/21/the-space-force-is-officially-the-sixth-military-branch-heres-what-that-means/

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1559 on: February 14, 2020, 07:12:57 AM »
30 years ago today, Voyager 1 sent home the famous mosaic image of the solar system now known as "Pale Blue Dot".

On other news, Betelgeuse seems to be stabilizing and it might not go supernova after all  :tdwn

And here is a picture I took recently out my window when I couldn't sleep at 5am. Handheld image with a canon powershot sx720.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1560 on: February 14, 2020, 07:21:10 AM »
30 years ago today, Voyager 1 sent home the famous mosaic image of the solar system now known as "Pale Blue Dot".

:hefdaddy

On other news, Betelgeuse seems to be stabilizing and it might not go supernova after all  :tdwn

Well, maybe it already did 1000 years ago and we're still seeing the light that had traveled since  :D

I randomly stumbled on a YT vid that explained that Betelgeuse is far enough to not pose any problems for us when it goes boom. Otherwise we would have all been royally screwed.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1561 on: February 14, 2020, 11:01:29 AM »
Well, maybe it already did 1000 years ago and we're still seeing the light that had traveled since  :D

I randomly stumbled on a YT vid that explained that Betelgeuse is far enough to not pose any problems for us when it goes boom. Otherwise we would have all been royally screwed.

Yes, we are at a safe distant where the radiation will just give us a very nice show in the night sky, even to the naked eye. Also, I just saw this article and the findings are weird. The dimming seems to be happening only in part of the star, not all around.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/betelgeuses-shenanigans-just-got-weirder-only-part-of-it-is-dimming

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1562 on: February 24, 2020, 09:29:21 AM »

If that were the case, then we (humans) would've already seen it by now since it is somewhere between 500 & 600 lightyears away.  The dimming shown in the photographs already happened that long ago.  It could be a prelude to supernova.  I find this very exciting because I've always been fascinated and very interested in this star.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1563 on: February 29, 2020, 02:30:44 PM »
HOW ROCKETS ARE MADE (Rocket Factory Tour - United Launch Alliance) - Smarter Every Day 231

Really interesting episode. Impressive how informed the CEO is on everything.

Another video with Tory giving a tour of the Delta IV Heavy on pad right before rollback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdPoVi_h0r0
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 06:35:36 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1564 on: March 04, 2020, 07:32:19 AM »
Black holes generate sound

Especially after a large dose of refried beans..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1565 on: March 06, 2020, 04:24:24 AM »
If you have $55 million to spend, you can go to the ISS next year. But hurry up, one of the 3 available seats have been purchased.

www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/3/5/21166657/spacex-tourists-iss-international-space-station-orbit-falcon-9-dragon

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1566 on: March 18, 2020, 04:36:01 PM »
Someone took this with his telescope from his backyard, that's really cool when you think about it.

I imaged from my Manorville NY USA Backyard. The International Space Stationwas was at the Max Pass of 84° / Dragon CRS-20 and more Spacecraft are docked to it and in my image and short video. The telescope was an Edge HD 14" with an Astrodon Red filter on a ZWO ASI174 mono camera and 1.6 barlow lens. Kind Regards To ALL :-)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1567 on: March 20, 2020, 10:02:55 AM »
That is really cool for sure. And it would be so difficult since it moves accross the sky so quickly.

But, here is something to look forward to for the next couple weeks. Let's hope that we can get a good show.

https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2020/03/16/comet-atlas-is-brightening-faster-than-expected/

Here is chart someone to help locate the comet.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1568 on: May 14, 2020, 03:33:43 PM »
Why SpaceX Bought An Entire Village

I'm not sure I know all the details but I don't understand why they buildt the facility so close to the village, from the footage it seems there's lots of empty land surrounding the village.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1569 on: May 23, 2020, 08:01:14 AM »
https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dragon-demo-2-go-for-launch.html

SpaceX is ready to make space history with its first astronaut launch for NASA next week.

No showstoppers were found during a crucial flight readiness review (FRR) for SpaceX's Demo-2 mission, keeping the company's first-ever crewed flight on track for a May 27 liftoff, NASA officials announced today (May 22).

"The Flight Readiness Review has concluded, and NASA’s SpaceX Demo-2 mission is cleared to proceed toward liftoff on the first crewed flight of the agency’s Commercial Crew Program," NASA officials wrote in an update today.
Yes, finally!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1570 on: May 25, 2020, 12:22:29 PM »
Why SpaceX Bought An Entire Village

I'm not sure I know all the details but I don't understand why they buildt the facility so close to the village, from the footage it seems there's lots of empty land surrounding the village.
Highest elevation would be my guess. The chunk of land their on is only 9' ASL, and it's the highest point for miles. The houses are only 4 or 5. Outside of that plateau you're mostly looking at sea level.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1571 on: May 27, 2020, 12:50:29 PM »
Pretty exciting day today! There's already 500K people tuned into the live stream and the launch is still an hour and forty five away. It's cool to see so much public excitement.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1572 on: May 27, 2020, 12:51:39 PM »
It's all over the news as well this afternoon

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: May 27, 2020, 12:52:14 PM »
Such a monumental day!  Let's hope the weather allows the historical launch to proceed!!  I am PUMPED!!!!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1574 on: May 27, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »
I am very excited for this. I was also looking forward to catching the live stream but it looks like I might have to work late  :tdwn