Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 193509 times)

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1470 on: February 15, 2019, 09:37:52 AM »
Sad about the rover. What happens to @SarcasticRover now?

Got to see Captain Scott Kelly speak last night and he was great. If you ever get the chance, I would recommend seeing him.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1471 on: February 25, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (Reuters) - NASA gave its final go-ahead on Friday to billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk’s SpaceX company to conduct its first unmanned test flight of a newly designed crew capsule to the International Space Station on March 2.

The approval cleared a key hurdle for SpaceX in its quest to help NASA revive America’s human spaceflight program, stalled since space shuttle missions came to an end in 2011.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-space-spacex-boeing/nasa-clears-spacex-test-flight-to-space-station-idUSKCN1QB2OT?utm_source=reddit.com

Always exciting when things go forward.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1472 on: February 25, 2019, 01:22:01 PM »
Very excited for that launch. One of my oldest friends has been writing code for the Dragon 2 for about 2.5 years now.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1473 on: February 27, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »
Very excited for that launch. One of my oldest friends has been writing code for the Dragon 2 for about 2.5 years now.
That's cool, do he work for SpaceX?
Must be quite the emotional ride when you worked on something for a long time knowing it might blow up in a sec.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1474 on: February 27, 2019, 12:19:03 PM »
Must be quite the emotional ride when you worked on something for a long time knowing it might blow up in a sec.

Yeah, he's been there for about 6 or 7 years now. He worked at JPL prior to that. Everything he writes is for the pre-launch side of the mission. So when it comes to Falcon 9 and the Dragon 2 capsule, he writes code that handles all the safety checks in the minutes leading up to launch.

He gave me a tour of Space X on a Sunday once when I visited him out in Cali. This was several years before the grass hopper program, so the facility wasn't nearly as busy as it probably is on a Sunday today. He basically has these massive tables with every bit of electronic hardware that's on the rockets and capsules mounted in an orderly fashion. The 'on board' cpu(s) doesn't/don't know the difference between the table and a launchpad, and he simulates all kinds of scenarios with the hardware. A lot of the stuff he checks will help determine the go/no go for launch. It's pretty cool stuff.

He telecommutes now out of NYC. Kinda of bummed, I'd love to go back out there and see the facility a few years later.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1475 on: March 03, 2019, 08:59:56 AM »
Go see the Apollo 11 IMAX documentary, if it's playing near you.  NASA apparently commissioned a documentary filed on 70mm film, but these were never used and have been in storage until now.  The found film was synced with audio recordings of crew and mission control transmissions, and the clips were shown in their entirety, rather than a few seconds here and there.  The on-board color film cameras show a large amount of mission detail, with the landing and Neil's first steps shown through the LM window in color, rather than the crap quality TV broadcast.  The whole film was arranged chronologically from launch to splashdown with no interviews or any other historical hyperbole.  You get a full picture of the entire mission sequence, with stage separations, engine burns, rendezvous and docking, landing, etc.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/apollo-11-2019

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/12/apollo-11-50th-year-anniversary

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1476 on: March 03, 2019, 09:09:42 AM »
Yea i'm really eager to see that!

Yeah, he's been there for about 6 or 7 years now. He worked at JPL prior to that. Everything he writes is for the pre-launch side of the mission. So when it comes to Falcon 9 and the Dragon 2 capsule, he writes code that handles all the safety checks in the minutes leading up to launch.

He gave me a tour of Space X on a Sunday once when I visited him out in Cali. This was several years before the grass hopper program, so the facility wasn't nearly as busy as it probably is on a Sunday today. He basically has these massive tables with every bit of electronic hardware that's on the rockets and capsules mounted in an orderly fashion. The 'on board' cpu(s) doesn't/don't know the difference between the table and a launchpad, and he simulates all kinds of scenarios with the hardware. A lot of the stuff he checks will help determine the go/no go for launch. It's pretty cool stuff.

He telecommutes now out of NYC. Kinda of bummed, I'd love to go back out there and see the facility a few years later.
Seems like everything went accordingly with Falcon 9 and Dragon.  :tup Saw the launch but missed the docking, never gets old seeing the boosters land. One thing I can't help wonder about is why they don't have a camera further away from the platform instead of on the platform because obviously the quality will be shit when a rocket lands a couple of meters away.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1477 on: March 04, 2019, 08:30:24 AM »
Go see the Apollo 11 IMAX documentary, if it's playing near you.  NASA apparently commissioned a documentary filed on 70mm film, but these were never used and have been in storage until now.  The found film was synced with audio recordings of crew and mission control transmissions, and the clips were shown in their entirety, rather than a few seconds here and there.  The on-board color film cameras show a large amount of mission detail, with the landing and Neil's first steps shown through the LM window in color, rather than the crap quality TV broadcast.  The whole film was arranged chronologically from launch to splashdown with no interviews or any other historical hyperbole.  You get a full picture of the entire mission sequence, with stage separations, engine burns, rendezvous and docking, landing, etc.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/apollo-11-2019

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/12/apollo-11-50th-year-anniversary
Sounds like a modern version of For All Mankind. That utilized mostly footage from the crew's cameras while they told their stories. The new one sounds like something I want to check out.

edit: When did IMAX become another word for "movie?"  Seems all we have around here are slightly wider, slightly curved screens. IMAX screens should be domed, or at the very least 8 stories tall. What a gyp.

This is what IMAX is supposed to look like:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:47:01 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1478 on: March 05, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »
Yeah, the theater by me has a fake IMAX.  I don't see it being substantially different from a regular movie.  TBH, I don't even know if this is being shown in non IMAX theaters.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: March 06, 2019, 07:23:07 AM »
Yea, it seemed like IMAX was a special theater like your picture and were found in like science centers but now it seems like movie theaters have an IMAX theater now and its just a bigger screen, maybe better sound too I think.  I remember seeing the Hobbit in 60fps 3D in one of those, it was very nice, but just felt like a bigger screen vs. an immersive experience.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1480 on: March 06, 2019, 07:26:15 AM »
How do the theaters get away with branding something as "Imax" without it actually being one?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1481 on: March 06, 2019, 07:31:26 AM »
Maybe they're IMAX brand without being THE IMAX? I dunno. A legit IMAX experience is insane though. The only one I've seen was The Dark Knight and it was amazing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1482 on: March 06, 2019, 07:36:04 AM »
It looks like there's some different specs for Imax

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX

also I said 60fps above with The Hobbit, I meant 48fps as I am reading this.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1483 on: March 06, 2019, 08:09:46 AM »
I checked and neither of our domed IMAX theaters are showing this. My guess is that it'll hit those once it becomes second or third release, so I'll keep an eye out for it. The Omni in Ft Worth shows midnight movies on the thing for the stoner set, so that's where I'd wind up seeing it.

Also, I believe what we're calling proper IMAX is technically Omnimax. That's what designates a domed screen. IMAX likely just refers to the 70mm format (which isn't even used much in modern releases).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: March 06, 2019, 09:01:26 AM »
I checked and neither of our domed IMAX theaters are showing this. My guess is that it'll hit those once it becomes second or third release, so I'll keep an eye out for it. The Omni in Ft Worth shows midnight movies on the thing for the stoner set, so that's where I'd wind up seeing it.

Also, I believe what we're calling proper IMAX is technically Omnimax. That's what designates a domed screen. IMAX likely just refers to the 70mm format (which isn't even used much in modern releases).

From the wiki:
IMAX has since renamed the system IMAX Dome
in referring to Omnimax so yea you're about right, its just that IMAX has changed things over time and just the term IMAX could refer to quite a few different types of set ups now.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1485 on: March 06, 2019, 01:52:57 PM »
Really cool footage of the B1051 booster returning to port:

SpaceX - Demo-1 Return To Port 03-05-2019

That thing looks freakin huge, especially when you have humans for scale.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1486 on: March 08, 2019, 06:31:24 AM »
Dragon 2 re-enters in 15 minutes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1487 on: March 08, 2019, 07:12:33 AM »
Couldn’t follow it but it seems the splashdown have gone well. Overall the mission seems to have been a success. Exciting times ahead to be a space nerd now!  :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1488 on: April 09, 2019, 01:13:19 PM »
Black hole photo should be coming out soon

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/opinion/black-hole.html

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: April 09, 2019, 06:36:28 PM »
Black hole photo should be coming out soon

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/opinion/black-hole.html

Looking forward to seeing this!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1490 on: April 09, 2019, 09:20:48 PM »
We won't be able to see anything.

:yarr

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1492 on: April 10, 2019, 08:09:16 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47873592

And there it is...

"What we see is larger than the size of our entire Solar System," he said.

"It has a mass 6.5 billion times that of the Sun. And it is one of the heaviest black holes that we think exists. It is an absolute monster, the heavyweight champion of black holes in the Universe."

I have a hard time wrapping my head around statements like that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1493 on: April 10, 2019, 08:11:07 AM »
Just an FYI

Falcon Heavy launch is slated for 6:35ET tonight.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1494 on: April 10, 2019, 08:23:35 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47873592

And there it is...

"What we see is larger than the size of our entire Solar System," he said.

"It has a mass 6.5 billion times that of the Sun. And it is one of the heaviest black holes that we think exists. It is an absolute monster, the heavyweight champion of black holes in the Universe."

I have a hard time wrapping my head around statements like that.

Same here. It's one of the fascinating things about the universe.

I always like those "look how small we are" videos on YouTube where you see the size of planets and then starts and you're just losing your perspective halfway through.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1495 on: April 10, 2019, 08:25:43 AM »
Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought we had images like this already? Not simulations or CGI, but images very similar to what was released today?

Nonetheless is pretty good image.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1496 on: April 10, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »
The article mentions "a perfectly circular dark hole" and "The edge of the dark circle".  Shouldn't it be spherical?  Circles are two-dimensional.  This object is clearly three-dimensional and is therefore a sphere, not a circle.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: April 10, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »
Circle referring to the shape on the image, I imagine, not the physical object itself.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: April 10, 2019, 10:48:39 AM »
I understand its practically impossible to get a picture of a black hole, but this photo is kind of underwhelming.  Very cool we are trying to do this and understand black holes, I think they are so fascinating to think about, but this picture just doesn't really do anything for me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1499 on: April 10, 2019, 11:10:56 AM »
Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought we had images like this already? Not simulations or CGI, but images very similar to what was released today?

Nonetheless is pretty good image.
I found this:

Of course, the photo is not directly of the black hole itself but its shadow (by their very nature, that would be impossible). Black holes generate a gravity field so strong nothing – including visible light – can escape them. Instead, this image reveals the black hole's event horizon, the swirl of dust and gas and stars and, importantly, light (hence the image) that circles the edge of the black hole before being sucked inside, and the shadow of the black hole beyond. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1500 on: April 10, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: April 10, 2019, 12:56:46 PM »
 :lol

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1502 on: April 10, 2019, 08:58:07 PM »
I understand its practically impossible to get a picture of a black hole, but this photo is kind of underwhelming.  Very cool we are trying to do this and understand black holes, I think they are so fascinating to think about, but this picture just doesn't really do anything for me.

I'm of the same mindset. I don't doubt that a lot of work went into this and not to take anything away from it but I couldn't help but think "..oh" when I saw it and then promptly moved on with my life. I'm not sure what the expectations are but it's incredibly lackluster purely as an image.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1503 on: April 11, 2019, 03:05:51 AM »
I feel compelled to listen to Into the Black Hole but i'm not complaining.  :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1504 on: April 11, 2019, 03:07:59 AM »
I feel compelled to listen to Into the Black Hole but i'm not complaining.  :biggrin:

I posted on FB a pic of the black hole and a quote from the song  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!