Poll

How often are you late for things (work, outings, hangouts, etc.)?

Almost never
62 (66.7%)
Some of the time
18 (19.4%)
Almost always
13 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: March 23, 2013, 12:56:25 PM

Author Topic: "I'm always late." - are you one of those people?  (Read 5769 times)

Offline ehra

Re: "I'm always late." - are you one of those people?
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »
I usually end up arriving early, sometimes so early that it'd be awkward to show up. So I decide to wait in my car for awhile but then it'd be even weirder if anyone saw me just sitting in my car, so I'll park further away and then it could be iffy whether I show up on time.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »
I am not only never late, I set my watch to be a few minutes fast so I have a cushion of time to arrive early with. One of my sisters is never on time-I mean, if she says she'll be somewhere at 3:00, she gets there at 4:30. It's reached the point that family dinners are scheduled taking that 90 minutes of extra time into account.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
I also set a clock ahead a few minutes just to have a space that I can use in case I am running a tiny bit late. It's usually not more than five minutes, but it's usually enough time that if I'm running late to a class, I can get there on time.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
I also find I'm insanely good with waking up on time. I have never ONCE hit the snooze button on an alarm. I hate the sound of an alarm clock so much, I couldn't fathom hearing it twice in one morning. Fuck that. I wake up 3-5 minutes before my alarm on an almost daily basis. If I have to wake up any time after 8:00, I don't even bother setting an alarm. My brain won't let me sleep past that. My theory is that it is because I have had two bedroom windows facing the East for the last 21 years. My circadian rhythm is in really good sync with the world.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »
If you want me to wake up at a reasonable time, have me set an alarm clock. I will wake up precisely eight minutes before it is set to go off.

Every.

Damn.

Time.

:lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »
"If you're on time, you're late".

Heard that all the time when I was in the military. But I've always had that mindset. I can't stand being late to anything, so I'm usually too early for stuff. I can't stand it when others are late.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »
I had a serious tardy/late problem for several years. Then it finally caught up to me when I was fired. I'm not late anymore.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »
I am never late. 10 minutes early is what I call on time.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
So hardly anyone's ever late?  Why are so many people late then?  One couple in Minnesota is having all the late people.  But seriously, I'm usually punctual (not 100% of the time though) - particularly when meeting other people for a set deadline - but tend to be more lax if the deadline has any leeway.  That's why voted middle option.  Although there *are* people who are always late and have the don't give shit about anyone else attitude, methinks some people in this poll are self-rating themselves as being more punctual than they really are.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
My schedules are tuned so that I am never late, even when things go bad. If everything proceeds as planned I'm early, if everything goes wrong I'm punctual  :biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »
As far as alarm clocks go, I've never used one in my entire life.  I get up at the time I need to get up.  Every time, without fail.  Doesn't matter what time I need to get up.  I just do it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
I have to admit, as someone who is almost never late for anything, people who are always late tend to annoy me.  I am one of those people who will leave 20 minutes early for something if it is 10 minutes away, just so I am not late; I hate being late for anything.  I know, I know, you shouldn't get aggravated by things that are out of your control, but seriously, is it really that difficult to be on time?  The answer, of course, is a resounding NO.  It is not difficult.  And I get that kids, traffic, etc. can sometimes cause people to be late for things, but when someone is always late for everything, I take that as a lack of respect for others, like, "I don't care if you have to wait for me; I'll get there when I feel like it."

Feel free to vote and comment.

I'm almost never late and have nothing to add that you haven't already said.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »
Also, Kev, I've noticed a trend over time with a lot of your posts and threads you start, so I fixed something for you:

people tend to annoy me. 

It is good though that, while you apparently don't practice it, you are familiar with the concept of:

you shouldn't get aggravated by things that are out of your control

;)

Actually, I do practice it way more often than not, but considering some of the other threads I've started, I can see why one might think otherwise. :lol

So hardly anyone's ever late?  Why are so many people late then?  One couple in Minnesota is having all the late people.  But seriously, I'm usually punctual (not 100% of the time though) - particularly when meeting other people for a set deadline - but tend to be more lax if the deadline has any leeway.  That's why voted middle option.  Although there *are* people who are always late and have the don't give shit about anyone else attitude, methinks some people in this poll are self-rating themselves as being more punctual than they really are.

Agreed.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2013, 02:41:33 PM »
As far as alarm clocks go, I've never used one in my entire life.  I get up at the time I need to get up.  Every time, without fail.  Doesn't matter what time I need to get up.  I just do it.

Regardless of the hour you went to sleep?  Remarkable.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Ħ

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »
Unfortunately, I am very often late. I'm an overly optimistic time estimator. I am honestly trying to work on it, and so far I see improvement.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »
15-30 early and I bring a book.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »
 :facepalm:  Damn, I just realized what my response should have been, and I'm surprised no one else has given it yet.  I'm editing my initial post...

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »
Seems ironic you made that edit so late.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 03:31:59 PM »
I made it precisley when I meant to  :hat

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »
Some of the time by myself; almost always with my girlfriend.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »
I voted the second option.  For doctor's appointments, I'm always ridiculously early.  I used to have a problem of being habitually late to work until I switched my schedule to arrive 30 minutes later.  Plus, when I was younger I had more problems being punctual.  Now, for work, I'm either a few minutes early or right on time.

Offline jsem

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »
It completely depends, voted second. For lectures, I can sometimes even be a little late and be a douche. I always try to end up on time, by making good time. I don't like taking a bus half an hour earlier in case something were to happen. I like to make good time. Also if I make an appointment with a friend to be at his house at a certain time, or meet up at a certain point, I wouldn't follow that to 100% - I'm very likely to be somewhat late. But some cases, like exams, doctor's appointments, seminars and what not I try to get very early.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2013, 04:52:21 PM »
Nah, usually I'm the one who's being told that kind of phrase....

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2013, 06:14:32 PM »
It just occurred to me that now that the weather's cold I'm almost always late for work, but that doesn't really count. There's no difference between dragging in at 8:50 or 9:10 here, so we all just kind of show up somewhere close to our normal times. I was just considering things where I've agreed or am expected to arrive at a certain time. If my boss told me to get here at 8:45, I'd be here at 8:40.

This applies to the hourly employees, as well.  If they show up late one morning, they'll just make it up during the rest of the pay period.

I'm the same way. During winter time I find myself getting to work closer to 8 than my normal 730 start time. I have a time card or anything and just make up the time as needed. Not really considered late to anyone since I don't have a stringent start time. I think its because its dark in the morning during the winter, which makes it harder for me to get out of bed.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »
I'm slightly obsessive about not being late. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2013, 07:06:50 PM »
Almost always late.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2013, 07:47:55 PM »
Well...that's not really you that's the cause of being late, is it?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2013, 01:45:08 AM »
I'm very rarely late; I always try to arrive on time.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2013, 03:21:25 AM »
I'm often hideously early, as I have really bad time perception. As I am aware of my terrible time perception, I set of a little early just in case. I then often find that what I thought took 45 minutes actually only took 20.

Before now, I have arrived at someone's house before the person living there.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2013, 06:06:57 AM »
I'm almost never late, however I have a few friends who are habitually late so I have a new policy, I'll leave and do what we were going to do without them.

People from my culture are like this, there is a saying which roughly translates to "the lithuanian 5 minutes" which means you're expected to be an hour late.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2013, 09:13:58 AM »
Even when I plan to leave 15 minutes early, I leave 5 minutes late... to almost everything....

Except work

When i was working with the POS company before where I am now...  I seemed to always be 5 min late. Where I work now I am usually 10 min early but my supervisor has told me he has seen my sitting in my car in the parking lot 30 + minutes before my shift. Funny because I pretty much work in the same complex as before.

L.A. traffic can be a motherfuck sometimes. 

This is usually the reason I am late to shows.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I do apologise. You're right. The three seconds it took me to hit Post again made me change my entire outlook on life. Fuck Alarms.

:lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »

Same here.  Drives me crazy.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »
Sometimes I'm early. Sometimes I'm late. You just never know.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »
I am always early, yet everyone I know is always late. When I say "meet at 7" I mean it. It's becoming so bad that I have to force myself to be late to be "on time" so I don't have to wait around for half an hour all the time.