Author Topic: The 2013 Oscars Thread v.McFarlane  (Read 7385 times)

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The 2013 Oscars Thread v.McFarlane
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 01:19:06 AM »
I'm so happy for Jennifer Lswrence, she's such a class act and even though she tripped, she rebousded with a quick ome oiner and metlied my heart.  :heart

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 01:25:14 AM »
I was hoping for a Hobbit Oscar, but it was clear that the movie would have left the hall empty handed.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 02:36:43 AM »
Jennifer Lawrence won! :)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 02:49:09 AM »
Great show this year. McFarlane was a good host, he was funny as expected.

I got 10/24 right... Not my best year. But great show! Bring on the 2013 movies.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 05:14:04 AM »
I don't have the final tallies in front of me, but I thought it was interesting that there was no one picture that ran away with it all.   Life of Pi *I think* ended with the most (I think it got about 4?), Django Unchained took two or three, Argo the same...

Seth was a brilliant host.  Wasn't sure how he'd go over, but I really think he did a great job.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline masterthes

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 05:17:05 AM »
I thought he did a great job too, although the beginning went a bit too long

So, how much longer until DDL ties Katherine Hepburn with 4 acting trophies?

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 07:15:10 AM »
Jennifer Lawrence is a class act. Ridiculous questions from the journalists though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3zpQL6Y-xc&feature=share

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 07:32:06 AM »
I'm gonna watch this tonight, only for MacFarlane, I haven't seen a full Oscars show since the one where Jack Nicholson won best actor for As Good As It Gets.
I heard Ben Affleck won for something, sad sad day.
Again all due respects to Christoph Waltz; this award should have been DiCaprio's for Django.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 07:44:24 AM »
I'm glad you guys liked Seth. Everyone I know has been condemning everything he said.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 08:04:23 AM »
I love Leo, but Christoph was leagues better

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 08:11:50 AM »
Got 11/24.  Only one that shocked me was Tommy Lee Jones not winning for best supporting actor.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2013, 08:32:47 AM »
Again all due respects to Christoph Waltz; this award should have been DiCaprio's for Django.

I thought this too. I was sad that he wasn't even nominated. I thought Leo was better in Django because it's so different from what I'm used to seeing him in. He's such a dick in that movie and plays it so completely convincing and he really looks like he IS Candy. Waltz did a great job making Tarantino's unique dialogue come to life but I really felt Leo was a bigger scene stealer. He was all I focused on when he was on screen.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2013, 10:07:32 AM »
3:19

That is Daniel Day Lewis’s Best Actor Oscar win to performance ratio. He basically gets an Oscar for every 6th movie he is in. Granting some of those are not even ‘leading’ roles, the ratio gets even greater. That is ridiculous.

Didn't watch any of it, but everything I read says Seth bombed hard. But that is all from critics and industry-types who might not be hip enough to 'get' him. But then, I don't really 'get' him either.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2013, 10:11:07 AM »
Christoph Waltz, that is all.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2013, 10:14:44 AM »
I don't understand how there can be two different winners for best picture and best director? If you made the best picture, doesn't that make you the best director by default?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »
I don't understand how there can be two different winners for best picture and best director? If you made the best picture, doesn't that make you the best director by default?
I don't think so.

You could have a very fine script and performances without necessarily having the best camera work or pace.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2013, 10:25:53 AM »
I don't think so.

You could have a very fine script and performances without necessarily having the best camera work or pace.

But then is it not the director's fault for having shit camera work?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 10:29:44 AM »
I am still amused that Braveheart won Best Picture back in '95 (or early '96, but for '96) and Mel Gibson won Best Director, yet, even though his acting in the lead role carried the movie, Gibson wasn't even nominated for Best Leading Actor.  That made zero sense.  But it probably went back to the Academy not having a great deal of respect for Gibson as an actor since he was primarily looked at it as an action movie guy, and the Academy always prefers actors who do serious movies (see: dramas).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:08 AM »
It wasn't until the 60s-70s that the director had the type of control over a film that they do today. Prior to that, the producer had much more control, and (oversimplying here) the director just told the cast where to stand and the cameraman where to shoot. But even now, the producer is still the 'owner' of the film, for lack of a better word, and it makes sense they would receive the best Picture award.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
which is why directors usually produce the films now

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
My wife and I couldn't believe how pathetically unfunny McFarlane was. Just groaning out loud awful. William Shatner was the best part of the evening.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:50:41 AM by Dream Team »

Offline TL

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
I thought Seth did a great job.

I was glad to see Argo win best picture. In fact, while not everything I wanted to win did, there weren't really any glaring bad picks this year (not counting nomination snubs). Ang Lee getting best director was a bit weird, and Skyfall should have won cinematography.

Overall, I got 14 picks right.

Adele gave a great performance, and Shriley Bassey was amazing. It was a bit disappointing that the rumored 'all Bond actors on stage together' thing didn't happen, but it was probably a bit of a pipe dream anyway.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
I'm so happy for Jennifer Lswrence, she's such a class act and even though she tripped, she rebousded with a quick ome oiner and metlied my heart.  :heart
I'm not ashamed to admit I'm 'smitten' when it comes to her. I don't think I've read or heard an interview where I was put off by her responses, she doesn't take herself too serious (like the rest of Hollywood does, thinking they are some superior class) and to top it off she can act and is cute.
  I hope that industry doesn't corrupt her too much. I'd like to see her survive the pitfalls of being famous and I think she's off to a good start on that. We'll see how it goes as these remaining HG movies go global.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »
The extreme dichotomy of the opinions of Seth fascinates me.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »
Put me in the Seth did a good job column.

There were a few misses, but he kept the night entertaining, which is all you can ask for.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »
I don't think so.

Directors tell the photography guys how they'd like their movie to be shot. And you left off that he talked about pacing which is definitely from the director.

Like for work years ago I had to screen Tyler Perry's movie Daddy's Little Girls. I didn't know who he was but knew I liked several actors in the movie. And it had a compelling story. But he sucks as a director. But it's not necessarily a bad movie (and I know he's made many that clearly were bad).

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
Also editing can be huge. Best Director to me means how well each scene was captured and thought about. Best Picture is all of the work that goes into making those scenes flow as one cohesive unit. Yes, most of the time the director has a huge hand in that as well but there is so much more post-production work to actually make bunch of footage into a movie.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2013, 05:20:40 AM »
I thought MacFarlane was pretty great, the musical numbers were excellent and his 30's/40's style elegance was very amusing mixed with his usual crudeness.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2013, 07:59:43 AM »
Were people making a fuss about his John Wilkes Booth joke? Come on, now!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »

That was hilarious. "150 years and it's still to soon?".

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »
Conan O'Brien made a joke similar to that one on his show back when Lincoln came out in 2012, he got some shocked noises from the crowd and he said the same exact thing "150 years people! Too soon?"

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »

That was hilarious. "150 years and it's still to soon?".
That one and the one he made about Django Unchained being a date movie for Rihanna and Chris Brown were the funniest jokes he made all night.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2013, 12:22:10 PM »
I don't think so.

Directors tell the photography guys how they'd like their movie to be shot. And you left off that he talked about pacing which is definitely from the director.

Like for work years ago I had to screen Tyler Perry's movie Daddy's Little Girls. I didn't know who he was but knew I liked several actors in the movie. And it had a compelling story. But he sucks as a director. But it's not necessarily a bad movie (and I know he's made many that clearly were bad).

A movie can be superior to other movies without having the best director. However, the fact that Ben was even NOMINATED really pisses me off. He did a really great job. Argo is my favorite of his films.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »
I thought Lincoln would take everything so it was a shock that it only won Best Actor.

I wanted Skyfall to win best cinematography but it went to Life of Pi which is weird seeing as most of it is chromakey !!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »
I thought Lincoln would take everything so it was a shock that it only won Best Actor.

That's what I thought too. I had Lincoln as my top guess for 6 categories.