Author Topic: "I was a paid internet shill"...  (Read 1515 times)

Offline PowerSlave

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: "I was a paid internet shill"...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »
Who would pay for an activity like that?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »

One of the current claims being made by some republican groups is that Obama won the election by manipulating opinion on the internet (I've read a few stories about this on fark.com recently), so it wouldn't really surprise me at all if there were groups that were willing to do this from either side of the spectrum. Their claims might be far fetched or have some merit. I have no opinion on it myself, but I could easily see it happening.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • You can't spell "America" without "Erica"
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »

Geoff Tate?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »

Geoff Tate?

He used dark money to pay for it...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
To be honest, I can't help thinking that that article is also the ultimate troll. It'll probably spread like wildfire among internet communities, and from there on people suspect some shadow organization behind their opposing discussion partner.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 02:08:46 PM »
To be honest, I can't help thinking that that article is also the ultimate troll. It'll probably spread like wildfire among internet communities, and from there on people suspect some shadow organization behind their opposing discussion partner.

It's well-known that organizations with a particular political/social viewpoint will often hire people to spread those ideas online.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • You can't spell "America" without "Erica"
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »

You are one of the few people I know who think all conspiracy theories are just a big conspiracy theory.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:34:36 PM »
Not all. But the majority for sure.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »

One of the current claims being made by some republican groups is that Obama won the election by manipulating opinion on the internet (I've read a few stories about this on fark.com recently),

:lol

I thought I had heard all the excuses possible Republicans could make as to why they lost the election, but this takes the cake.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »

One of the current claims being made by some republican groups is that Obama won the election by manipulating opinion on the internet (I've read a few stories about this on fark.com recently),

:lol

I thought I had heard all the excuses possible Republicans could make as to why they lost the election, but this takes the cake.

Yeah, it's pretty weak. I do want to clarify that I'm not picking on the right when I say that, however. Garbage claims are fairly evident from just about all perspectives.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »
I retract my original post, to instead say that this is really fucked up.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »
Not sure why this would be a problem, honestly. If somebody wants to pimp themselves out as a paid hypocrite, who am I to care? If somebody wants to pay people to be hypocrites, who does that hurt? If they make reasonable points, then there's no harm, no foul. If they're full of shit or otherwise bad posters, then they won't be taken too seriously by serious posters, anyway. While it might make sense to carpet bomb a forum hoping to swing the politically naive, if all you're doing is keeping discussion moving, then you're not really doing anything except exposing them to both sides.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »
I agree, EB, and that's why I was asking who would even pay for such a thing. You get bozos like that for free, en masse, on any political discussion forum.  You can't possibly make a dent in a topic's perception unless you're employing thousands of people for that purpose.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
Yeah, I don't care about paying people to be hypocrites, I'm more concerned when their job involves bringing others down with them (like in the bit where he accuses people of doing or saying things in other threads that never happened).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »

You are one of the few people I know who think all conspiracy theories are just a big conspiracy theory.  :lol
That's just a conspiracy theory.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.