Author Topic: Opeth announce American Tour  (Read 3745 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Opeth announce American Tour
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 12:01:15 AM »
black_floyd:  You, me, Raleigh May 5.

black_floyd:  You, me, Raleigh May 5.

I'll be there too... :tup

I might go the raleigh show too. I've tried multiple times to get into Opeth and it never worked, but it's metal. Why the hell not?

RALEIGH SHOW!

RALEIGH SHOW!

MEETUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not excited to be forced to sit through Katatonia again

That caught my eye too. I've seen them get played on the Opeth station on Pandora quite a lot, have had a few people recommend them to me when I was asking around about other bands that sound like Opeth, and finally caved in and listened to a full album of theirs last week. I was pretty badly disappointed by how drearily monotonous the vocals were and the music just felt like it had virtually no life to it. I hope I just picked a dud and am more than open to suggestions about where to start with them.

I suppose it would be rather awkward if they booked the Energy Solutions arena in Salt Lake and it's just me, some friends I dragged along, a few scene kids who hear that they have harsh vocals, and probably a dozen middle-age guys.

:rollin Priceless!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  play Ghost of Perdition, that's all I ask, I want to see that live so bad you have no idea  :o

First song I ever saw them play. It was 3.19.06 at the House of Blues in New Orleans with Devildriver and Dark Tranquility opening in that order. The part that irked me was that they omitted those few clean tone chords during the first few seconds and the very first instant of their set was Mike screaming:

GHOST OF...MAAAHTHAAH!!!!

I was way disappointed cuz I love how that just hits so hard but didn't get to anticipate it since I didn't know they were opening with it and didn't have the first few seconds of the song to cue me.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:17 AM »
Yeah, I really don't like Katatonia. I swear most drone has more life to it than their music. :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »
Yeah, I really don't like Katatonia. I swear most drone has more life to it than their music. :P
This this this, their vocalist has no life or passion to it

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 03:42:56 AM »
Well, they are playing within walking distance of me so I might go, but I hate that venue and Heritage is merely good so probably not.
You haven't seen the recent setlists? The Devil's Orchard and Häxprocess are the only Heritage songs they've played at the recent not unplugged gigs.

This this this, their vocalist has no life or passion to it
Whaaat...?! :eek I don't think Katatonia are any more repetitive than Opeth were at what is considered their "golden era" - lots of riffs on Still Life or BWP could easily switch places without ruining the flow of the songs.

Besides, Katatonia do have a lot of emotion in their music, just listen to Departer, Tonight's Music, Inheritance, The Racing Heart, Leech, Gone... I would consider all these songs emotional, and Jonas' vocals don't lack passion in them. His voice seems to divide opinions - I didn't like him at first, either, but nowadays he's one of my favorite singers.
I've seen them get played on the Opeth station on Pandora quite a lot, have had a few people recommend them to me when I was asking around about other bands that sound like Opeth, and finally caved in and listened to a full album of theirs last week. I was pretty badly disappointed by how drearily monotonous the vocals were and the music just felt like it had virtually no life to it. I hope I just picked a dud and am more than open to suggestions about where to start with them.
Which album did you listen to? Night is the New Day is a pretty diverse album IMO - maybe you should give it a try. Or maybe you could listen to that album you already heard again - Katatonia may seem monotonous at first, but their music has lots of subtleties that aren't easily noticed on the first few listens (and isn't this a prog forum?). Nothing stuck to my mind after hearing the new album, but now I think it has many catchy melodies and it ended up being my album of the year.

You spoiled Americans! :lol This is one of the best tour packages I could imagine and people are only complaining!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 07:25:43 AM »
I've seen Opeth four times. They're playing a 20 minute drive from me in Norfolk, VA.

I couldn't care less.

I think I've gotten over Opeth. What the fuck?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 08:09:15 AM »
MEETUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's do it! It'll be me, my son (who is 19) and my buddy Matt (owner of my label)... :metal

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
If it were Philly instead of Allentown I'd probably consider, but oh well :/

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 11:36:21 AM »
I saw Katatonia open for Opeth the first time I saw them and they were actually much better live than on their albums.  So not thrilled about it but its okay.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
To Dr.DTVT, Pelata, Skydivingninja, senecadawg, TheOutlawXanadu, and Windmaster:

Do y'all know where a good place is in Raleigh/Garner to get general admission tickets for this show? I know TOX was planning on going VIP but I don't plan on doing that. Just hoping that some of you will also be going general admission so I can meet some of you.

Holla at ya boy!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2013, 12:39:05 PM »
Katatonia is awesome and even more awesome live. They are a bit repetitive, sure, but imo the whole calm->heavy->calm->heavy pattern works perfectly for a live setting.

Also their newest album blows everything they've done before out of the water, so definitely check that one out if you haven't already.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »
To Dr.DTVT, Pelata, Skydivingninja, senecadawg, TheOutlawXanadu, and Windmaster:

Do y'all know where a good place is in Raleigh/Garner to get general admission tickets for this show? I know TOX was planning on going VIP but I don't plan on doing that. Just hoping that some of you will also be going general admission so I can meet some of you.

Holla at ya boy!

Just probably "print your own" through the Lincoln Theatre website...that's what I'm doing.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »
yeah, all the shows I went to at Lincoln Theater were purchased through their website.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
So, do the general admission tickets go on sale at midnight tonight? Also, are you going for GA tickets as well, Pelata?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »
aren't they all GA at Lincoln Theater?
Winger would be better!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »
Goddamnit. :'(

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
To all Katatonia fans: sorry if I seem like I'm bashing them, but before the concert with Devy, all anyone talked about was Katatonia and how they were going to be the best band there. Now regardless of what they said I was there for Devin Townsend, and when Katatonia came on I was ready to be shown why I should be excited. Every song started out proggy death metal heavy, then came the mellow and their vocalist seemed to never ever leave a certain range, and you could hear him huffing a lot and I walked out. My friend and I walked around downtown St. Paul for about an hour, came back and they still weren't done, and the last 5 songs still sounded very alike.  After that night I gave dead end kings a spin when I got home and had the same reaction. I don't know, I just don't get why here considered a great band :shrug:
*phone post, sorry for the run on sentences*

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »
Was that at Station 4?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »
Goddamnit. :'(

yeah I know.  My wife and I are talking about taking a trip up to Tulsa if we can get the grandparents to come watch the little guys.
Winger would be better!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2013, 01:28:29 PM »
Yeah, oh yeah and not knowing curfew times were later than SD, I thought Devin had a half hour to set up and play and was on the verge of tears :(
*was 19 at the time but you know how concerts for under ages go*

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »
aren't they all GA at Lincoln Theater?

I think he means GA vs any kind of VIP package.

Yeah, I'm getting GA...not even going to get them immediately. It won't sell out. I'll get them in February sometime.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
i'm going to the brooklyn show if anyone wants to join.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
Tucson for me. Not sure why they have skipped Phoenix on their last 2 tours. Their last showing seemed to go pretty well from what I recall, but oh well. Still excited to see them again.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »
Hey Ortho, do you know why Tucson is pronounced TOO-sahn rather than TUK-sun? It always just struck me as weird since the cs consonant cluster is usually pronounced like an x or in some cases like a ch in the case of Gabor Csupo who works on the Simpsons. /inane derail

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »

Holla at ya boy!

Just probably "print your own" through the Lincoln Theatre website...that's what I'm doing.
I'm probably going to do GA. Probably easiest if we want to meet up.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »
Cool. I'm gonna iron my slacks for this one :heart :heart :heart

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
Hey Ortho, do you know why Tucson is pronounced TOO-sahn rather than TUK-sun? It always just struck me as weird since the cs consonant cluster is usually pronounced like an x or in some cases like a ch in the case of Gabor Csupo who works on the Simpsons. /inane derail

Your guess is as good as mine. It's of Spanish origin so there may be something in that language that makes more sense.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 03:43:28 PM »

Holla at ya boy!

Either get them from the Lincoln website or you can buy them at Schoolkids Records.

I'll see how much VIP costs, but I'll probably just stick with GA.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »
Cool. I'm gonna iron my slacks for this one :heart :heart :heart

And I'm gonna miss that! :'( :'(

*unconsolable Deb is... well, unconsolable*

• DT.net Member
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2013, 03:57:58 PM »
We'll send you the directors cut of the prim 'n' proper tea party we have before the show :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »
Well... I guess that'll be okay. :jets:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2013, 05:49:19 PM »
To the Raleigh folks, presale tickets went on sale today. I'm not sure if they're are any of them left, and I know the rest go on sale tomorrow. I went ahead and bought my ticket today... It'll be my first Opeth show, I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be able to see some of you guys there as well!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »
Very surprised Raleigh VIP tickets are already sold out. I didn't have a chance to log in to the site at work today. Balls.

Oh well.. Regulars it is, and a meet up with some DTFers!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2013, 06:40:28 PM »
To the Raleigh folks, presale tickets went on sale today. I'm not sure if they're are any of them left, and I know the rest go on sale tomorrow. I went ahead and bought my ticket today... It'll be my first Opeth show, I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be able to see some of you guys there as well!
Did you get a VIP thing or a regular?
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2013, 07:03:21 PM »
Did you get a VIP thing or a regular?

Just regular.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2013, 06:49:20 AM »

Holla at ya boy!

I'm probably going to do GA. Probably easiest if we want to meet up.

Yeah, I get GA at Lincoln and hang out in the balcony to watch the bands...no pit action for this old man...haha!  :lol