Author Topic: Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club (PLEASE READ PAGE 3)  (Read 4048 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2013, 01:28:17 AM »
Jethro, git outa that cement pond an' fix your pa some lemonade!

:jets:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2013, 07:02:34 AM »
I'd gladly do King Crimson, as I'm an avid fan of them.. But I'm too new here, so I don't think I'd do a good job.

I'd say that doing a good job involves a combination of being thorough, including relevant and interesting information, and fostering good discussion.  You don't need to be a veteran of the boards to do that.

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15:15 AM »
I'd gladly do King Crimson, as I'm an avid fan of them.. But I'm too new here, so I don't think I'd do a good job.

I'd say that doing a good job involves a combination of being thorough, including relevant and interesting information, and fostering good discussion.  You don't need to be a veteran of the boards to do that.
I agree, thank you. I'm totally up for it.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2013, 07:52:29 AM »
I put a stamp of my semi-veteran approval on your doing KC as well.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »
OK guys. I think we have enough people. I'll make a schedule sometime this weekend. I was wondering whether we should do all of this in one thread or not.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2013, 07:08:26 AM »
OK guys. I think we have enough people. I'll make a schedule sometime this weekend. I was wondering whether we should do all of this in one thread or not.

Separate  threads would be nicer, in case discussion for one band's discography goes long, particularly bands with longer discographies (like Rush).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2013, 07:19:40 AM »
Man-Erg, if you need any help, I have pretty much all the Crimson discography, and would be willing to help you out. (I came to register interest in doing it, but you beat me to it).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2013, 07:45:48 AM »
Man-Erg, if you need any help, I have pretty much all the Crimson discography, and would be willing to help you out. (I came to register interest in doing it, but you beat me to it).
I have every regular album by them, but no EPs or live albums. If I need help, I'll contact you, and I'm pretty sure I'll need it at some point.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
I suggest separate threads for each band.  If we get some good participation, it will get confusing when people start posting things about different bands all in the same thread.  Also, not everyone will necessarily be interested in every band, so they can choose which ones they want to follow.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
I suggest separate threads for each band.  If we get some good participation, it will get confusing when people start posting things about different bands all in the same thread.  Also, not everyone will necessarily be interested in every band, so they can choose which ones they want to follow.

This is kinda what I'm afraid of personally. Take Symphony X for example. I'm not really a fan, but I will listen to all of their albums that will be coming up when Scorpion is doing his list/writeups for them. I'll be involved in discussions and listen to the albums he picks because I feel like that is the respectful thing to do.
This whole idea might be a good way of discovering something new or hearing something new. I would feel a bit bummed out if several other contestants didn't bother with my writeups/albums for example. :P

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2013, 08:33:57 AM »
I'd do Iced Earth or something I don't know whatever

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »

This is kinda what I'm afraid of personally. Take Symphony X for example. I'm not really a fan, but I will listen to all of their albums that will be coming up when Scorpion is doing his list/writeups for them. I'll be involved in discussions and listen to the albums he picks because I feel like that is the respectful thing to do.
This whole idea might be a good way of discovering something new or hearing something new. I would feel a bit bummed out if several other contestants didn't bother with my writeups/albums for example. :P
This. I want at least everyone running a series to participate as much as possible in everyone else's threads. Is that cool with everyone?

Also, Orb: are you with us, or are you gonna do your own thing?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »

This. I want at least everyone running a series to participate as much as possible in everyone else's threads. Is that cool with everyone?

I plan on participating in whichever bands whose discographies I own, Symphony X being one of them. It'll be a good way for me to catch up and get (re)acquainted with certain bands I like(d, at one time or another). I'll admit to buying CDs and whole discographies, only listening to it all at time of purchase, and then if they don't catch on immediately, I shelve them (with a few exceptions). Symphony X has been one of those bands, where I only listen to 1 or 2 albums, but I own all of their studio releases.

As for my thread, I will start with Spock's Beard, but I'm considering Kev's suggestion of adding in Neal Morse's solo albums, and Transatlantic, since they're all so tied together.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »
Apart from downloading, there are several ways like Spotify, Grooveshark and Youtube where you can pretty much hear a whole album without paying anything for it. Just sayin'.  :hat

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2013, 09:42:32 AM »
Yup. I'll listen to anything discussed, as long as it's on spotify. If it's not, I'll still try to purchase select recordings. Not entire discographies, but at least a few records, so I can still participate somehow. Used CDs are dirt cheap on amazon anyway.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
Of this list, the bolded ones are ones I'll definitely be participating in:

Definite:
1.Nick- Rush
2.Theseoafs- Iron Maiden
3.Scorpion- Symphony X
4.Prog Snob- Pink Floyd
5.The Letter M- Spock’s Beard
6.Orbert- Emerson Lak& Palmer
7.Perpetual Change- Bob Dylan
8.Zantera- The Smashing Pumpkins
9.DebraKadabra- Alice in Chains
10.Zydar- The Beatles

Tentative:
Bosk- Queensryche
Lonestar- IQ
rodgerdil- steely dan
KevShmev- The Flower Kings
sirbradford- the beatles

The others don't really interest me ALL that much, and I only own 3 Queensryche albums, but I might jump in on that thread to see what others have to say about them.

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, Joe (PC) is running it, so I'm not trying to step on his toes or anything.  But just as a personal suggestion, Marc, I'd love it if you basically transformed yours into an an expanded Neal Morse's major projects discog. to include Spock's, NM solo, and Transatlantic.  Although, that being said, I guess that would screw up Spock's in the post-Neal era.  :dunno:

And a question for Joe:  I thought we were picking bands that are highly relevant to this forum.  If so, I'm a bit confused about choices 7-9 on your list, as well as IQ and Steely Dan.  I mean, going back to your comment when I signed up, I'd be more than happy to do Y&T, but I don't think that makes a lot of sense, since it will basically just be Cozmo and nobody else following it.  Queensryche is MUCH more relevant to DT and the forum as a whole, so that's why I went with them.  Can you clarify a bit what you're looking for?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, Joe (PC) is running it, so I'm not trying to step on his toes or anything.  But just as a personal suggestion, Marc, I'd love it if you basically transformed yours into an an expanded Neal Morse's major projects discog. to include Spock's, NM solo, and Transatlantic.  Although, that being said, I guess that would screw up Spock's in the post-Neal era.  :dunno:

I have thought about that, and I would also include Flying Colors near the end. I could do a separate thread for Post-SB Neal Discography, and continue Post-Neal SB in the main SB thread, but that's all up to PC if he thinks that's okay. I'd LOVE to do that.

And as far as write-ups go, I plan on following a similar format to Orbert's threads - posting the album cover(s), relevant album information, history tidbits, and song summaries/opinions.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
Orb: are you with us, or are you gonna do your own thing?

I'm in if each band is in it's own thread, since I was gonna do ELP anyway.  Otherwise I'll just do my own thing.   :yarr

I don't mean to be an asshole about it, that's just what it comes down to for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
Call me crazy, but I'd rather see live albums and whatnot glossed over more quickly so we can get back to the studio albums.  I loved both of Orbert's Yes and Genesis threads, but every time he'd get to a live album, it was like, "Oh jeez, we gotta wait nearly a week for anything worth talking about again."  Not that live albums aren't good, but if you get an artist who has a lot of 'em, it breaks up the flow of people talking about the real albums.  Just a thought.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2013, 11:06:30 AM »
Yeah, that kinda makes sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »
Call me crazy, but I'd rather see live albums and whatnot glossed over more quickly so we can get back to the studio albums.  I loved both of Orbert's Yes and Genesis threads, but every time he'd get to a live album, it was like, "Oh jeez, we gotta wait nearly a week for anything worth talking about again."  Not that live albums aren't good, but if you get an artist who has a lot of 'em, it breaks up the flow of people talking about the real albums.  Just a thought.

For SB, I was going to combine live albums with the studio albums that preceded them, or in some cases, group one or two live albums together for a brief over-view of them. They have 6 or 7 live releases, anyway, but my main focus is going to be the main (soon to be) 11 studio albums.

-Marc.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »
 Okay, it seems like lots of people are confused about what’s going on here. That’s my fault, as I strongly compared what I was doing with Orbert’s threads without giving enough indication how this series of threads is going to be different from what Orbert is doing.

The difference is, this is a club (The Timeless Discographies Club). If you would like to join this club, you have basically two main responsibilities:

1.   You will spend a month (or so) leading a discussion on a discography of an artist you think is important to the general tastes of the forum. This can be something that’s an obvious classic (ELP, Queensryche, Floyd, PT, etc) or something really great  that you think perhaps the much of the forum overlooks (The Smashing Pumpkins, Y&T, etc). I actually prefer you pick something in the latter category, because it’ll help broaden the tastes of the club. But, if you pick something traditional and well-listened to, it might drum up deeper discussion. So, it’s really up to each member to decide.

2.   You will, to the best of your ability, participate in all the discussions of other club members. This means posting in their threads, and listening to however many records you have time/money to listen to. As Zantera noted, thanks to free and legal streaming services like Spotify, this doesn’t necessarily have to come at great personal expense to anyone.

If there’s any confusion, remember: this is a club. I don’t expect any of these discussions to be as knowledgeable or as in-depth as Orbert’s, which have all lasted several months. The important thing is that participants learn and share with each other. No offense, The Letter M, but if you intend to do your Spock’s Beard thread without participating in half of the other threads, I’d prefer you not do it as part of this club.

You know, the more I think about it, the more it seems like it’d be better for participants of this club to pick artists that perhaps aren’t too popular on the forum. To cite Bosk’s example, a Queensryche discography thread would attract participation regardless of whether it was part of this club on not. Y&T would perhaps not. Well, this club is probably a better place to discuss something less popular (but perhaps equally as good), because everyone else in the club will be implicitly agreeing to participate, while really giving whatever you chose to discuss a listen.

That said… who’s in?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club (PLEASE READ PAGE 3)
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »
Wait, really?  If that is the case, definitely count me out.  I am definitely not gonna waste my time on listening to Bob Dylan's massive discography (why would I do that to myself?? :lol), for example.  :biggrin:

Orbert, when are you starting your ELP thread?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »
Wait, really?  If that is the case, definitely count me out.  I am definitely not gonna waste my time on listening to Bob Dylan's massive discography (why would I do that to myself?? :lol), for example.  :biggrin:

Ditto - I wasn't aware that, as being "in the club", we really had to contribute to every band and their discussion. No offense to anyone else who will be doing this, but that is a BIT time consuming, especially for artists with quite larger histories/discographies.

In that case, I may do my own SB Discography Thread in conjunction with my Spock's Beard Survivor, when that starts in April or so.

-Marc.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
Ok so Iced Earth is out then :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
I'm out too.  Like Kev, I don't particularly have the desire to listen through certain bands.  I know what I like, and I pretty much stick to it.  Of the bands listed so far, there's already a handful that I wouldn't be interested in listening to or participating in discussions around.  Sorry, that's just me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2013, 12:00:41 PM »
Not like I hid that you need to participate in other discographies, guys. It was right in the OP. This thread has never been for people who just "know" they won't like something and have no desire to explore.

1.   You will see your installment of the series through within 30 days, with reasonable extension, and will not begin your installment until the current installment is finished and/or expired and
2.   You will agree to participate in the installments of all 11 other participants, which includes listening to a reasonable number of the albums discussed (at your own personally expense—perhaps Youtube or Spotify is a good idea).

That said, you don't have to listen to EVERYTHING. But, you have to try to listen to as much as possible. Since I'm doing Dylan, I'd probably cover an era of albums with each installment, while offering one as a suggestion.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »
Yeah... I think I'm out as well, especially since Alice in Chains is somehow "not relevant" and I don't think there would be a lot of interest in it anyway.  I may do it as a separate thread in the future, but not as a part of this.  Sorry, PC.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:54 PM »
Why would Alice in Chains be "not relevant"?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
Per the boss man's comment.  It was more of a joke than anything else, I just forgot to green text it. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
This thread has never been for people who just "know" they won't like something and have no desire to explore.

Okay, but I have listened to enough Bob Dylan and Symphony X, for example, to know that I don't care for either, and I am not gonna waste any more of my time listening to either.  Sorry, but I'm just not.  Life is too short, and there is way too much music out there that I love already, for me to waste my time trying to force myself to like artists that I already gave many chances to already.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »
And I have offered my Beatles discography to sirbradford since I've had doubts for a while about doing this thing myself. It's not so much because of these recent discussions, but I've found that my time will be kind of limited for a while now and I don't think I'll be having the time to do this justice. It's just better for someone else to do it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2013, 12:07:03 PM »
Orbert, when are you starting your ELP thread?

Soon.  I just have to give the last official Genesis release (Live Over Europe) another listen, then write it up.  I know how much you love live albums, so I want to make sure I do it right.   :azn:

I was also going to add an epilogue entry, since Genesis is now gone, unlike Yes.  Or that might just go with the entry for the last album, or something.  So maybe a week.  I've been busy as hell lately.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2013, 12:07:41 PM »
Feels kinda weird to me if people expected everyone else to participate when it came to their own band, but not willing to listen to a band that someone else had picked. I mean, the whole purpose of this is to get a nice discussion going, and to get people to hear the music.
Otherwise it could just have been a normal discussion in the band's own thread here in GMD.