Author Topic: Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club (PLEASE READ PAGE 3)  (Read 4047 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 01:54:27 PM »
I would normally jump all over The Flower Kings, but I have barely listened to them for the last four or five months, and I am not gonna force myself to do so just for the sake of doing the discography thread on them.  Not to mention that they are a spring/summer band, so it would be better to do them around that time. 

I wouldn't mind doing solo Neal Morse, but I am not sure how much inside information and deep facts I'd be able to bring to the table.  Not to mention that I don't have any of his worship or live albums.

Aww I'd love to see you do TFK! Maybe think about it and do it in the summer - that will give you a few months to go over their discography!

As for solo Neal Morse, I was thinking of doing that, as well, considering I'm running the Neal Morse Survivor, and it would give me an excuse to finally read his biography.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 02:48:32 PM »
I would normally jump all over The Flower Kings, but I have barely listened to them for the last four or five months, and I am not gonna force myself to do so just for the sake of doing the discography thread on them.  Not to mention that they are a spring/summer band, so it would be better to do them around that time. 

Force yourself to listen dammit, I'd really love to see them done and you doing them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »
Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Alice in Chains (or just the grunge scene as a whole, picking out some important stuff by these and maybe some other bands)

I'm VERY interested writing up the Alice in Chains discog, if no one minds.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
I think this is a really great idea.

I lack really sufficient or "deep" knowledge of... um any bands, but I'd certainly love to read more/participate in discussions about some. I'll throw out a few suggestions for bands that would be suited for this kind of thing though:

Anathema
Amorphis

I think a Alice In Chains/Soundgarden/Generic grunge discussion could be pretty awesome.

Also, I'd just like to throw out a big thanks to Orbert for the Yes and Genesis threads. I don't participate much but I always love reading any and all updates. :)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 04:45:45 AM »
Alright, sign me up for The Beatles.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 05:11:39 AM »
Rats... I was just about to try and claim the Beatles.  Go ahead, Zydar!
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 05:13:43 AM »
I knew you're a big Beatles fan too, but I hadn't seen you around on DTF for a long while now.

If you want to do it instead of me, I'll gladly hand it over :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 05:18:29 AM »
Okay, so... 10 definite people down, with 4 who have expressed some interest, but aren't sure for whatever reason. I'll leave this list here and let you guys talk it through some. Hopefully by the end of the day we'll get a better idea of who's in:

Definite:
1.Nick- Rush
2.Theseoafs- Iron Maiden
3.Scorpion- Symphony X
4.Prog Snob- Pink Floyd
5.The Letter M- Spock’s Beard
6.Orbert- Emerson Lak& Palmer
7.Perpetual Change- Bob Dylan
8.Zantera- The Smashing Pumpkins
9.DebraKadabra- Alice in Chains
10.Zydar- The Beatles

Tentative:
Bosk- Queensryche
Lonestar- IQ
rodgerdil- steely dan
KevShmev- The Flower Kings
sirbradford- the beatles

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 05:27:02 AM »
If two slots left, then I guess will or maybe should be filled by Queen, Porc Tree, Led Zep, Zappa, Opeth; personally think some of these are overexposed but it's what people here like.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »

I wouldn't mind doing solo Neal Morse, but I am not sure how much inside information and deep facts I'd be able to bring to the table.  Not to mention that I don't have any of his worship or live albums.

Aww I'd love to see you do TFK! Maybe think about it and do it in the summer - that will give you a few months to go over their discography!

As for solo Neal Morse, I was thinking of doing that, as well, considering I'm running the Neal Morse Survivor, and it would give me an excuse to finally read his biography.

-Marc.

Maybe.  Perhaps once spring rolls around and the time is right, I'll be in a TFK mood and be more open to doing it.

As for Neal, instead of doing just Spock's, you ought to just do a Neal/SB/TA one, where you do all of the discs by those three together.  The connective tissue of the three different acts would make combining them very natural.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »
What about Dream Theater.  How come no one ever discusses them on this forum?    :yeahright   ;)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »
Well, personally I'd say it's because we already know Dream Theater. (and that's how we ended up on the forum)
While several of the picks are bigger names, I'll admit that I didn't checkout Pink Floyd or The Beatles until recently, but I haven't checked out the entire discographies yet.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »
Okay, I've read the OP like five times now, and I'm still not sure how this is supposed to work.  By the way, Thanks! for the praise regarding my Yes and Genesis discographies.

The goal here is to recreate that experience with an "album of the month" club, which I’m titling as the "Timeless Discographies Club". What will happen is, 12 participants (11, plus me), will each choose a discography from a band or artist which 1.) is considered to be highly important and influential, 2.) is particularly vibrant and/or underexplored and 3.) is likely relevant to DTF's tastes. After a poster has chosen a discography they’d like to share with the rest of the board, they will begin posting with regular updates in which they provide background information and some of their own thoughts on the various albums, live releases, and line-up changes of the band or artist being discussed.

If you are interested in this type of discussion series and would like to participate, sign-up and post the artist you would like to discuss here. After 11 posters have signed-up, I will begin randomly scheduling people. Hopefully, we can begin the series with the first album discussion in February. If you would like to participate, there are really only two rules:

1.  You will see your installment of the series through within 30 days, with reasonable extension, and will not begin your installment until the current installment is finished and/or expired and
2.  You will agree to participate in the installments of all 11 other participants, which includes listening to a reasonable number of the albums discussed (at your own personally expense—perhaps Youtube or Spotify is a good idea).

So I was already gonna do ELP next, probably after a brief pause to do some research and give myself and readers a little break.  Do I coordinate that with the others entries going on?  Is it one album per month per artist?  Because that would mean some discographies will go on for years.  I started the Yes discography thinking one week per album would be good, and discussion tended to taper off after three or four days, so I adjusted things a bit.

I just want to make sure I'm doing it right, since we're trying to make this a bigger, more organized thing.  Or hell, maybe I'll just my own thing anyway, 'cause that's how I roll.  :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 10:39:10 AM »
Orbert, since you started this trend, I think you should do the ELP one whenever you want, if that was your plan.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
I think the OP was supposed to assign time frames to people on a random basis, although as my Steely Dan was "tentative'd" I'd not be in disfavor of a mutiny.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 10:46:15 AM »
It's not really a mutiny if Orbert had other bands already planned out to do. :P

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »

-Marc.

Maybe.  Perhaps once spring rolls around and the time is right, I'll be in a TFK mood and be more open to doing it.

As for Neal, instead of doing just Spock's, you ought to just do a Neal/SB/TA one, where you do all of the discs by those three together.  The connective tissue of the three different acts would make combining them very natural.

I had actually thought about that, but SB already has a pretty wide discography that I might concentrate on that first, then do Neal Morse, then maybe Transatlantic.

As for the time-frame, I was hoping I could start my SB one at the same time as I start my SB Survivor, just to line them up accordingly, especially since SB album survivors will take about a week or so to do each (since many of their albums have 6-9 songs on them).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »
It's not really a mutiny if Orbert had other bands already planned out to do. :P

Okay, I misread, Orbert can do ELP separately as part of his Yes/Genesis series instead of within the structure of this "club."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2013, 11:04:23 AM »
Orbert, the original goal was to have one person to cover one artist per month—probably not with the same level of detail as your Yes and Genesis threads, but still pretty thoroughly. I didn’t know you were going to do ELP before I started this thread, but since you were, I will have no problem with you going first if you want. I would love for you to do them as part of this series, and I hope the month-long time limit won’t be a deterrent. ELP seem like they could be done in a month, though.

Further regarding the scheduling: what do you guys think? One per month over twelve months might seem a bit slow. I was wondering if maybe it’d be better to plan on running two per month.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
To be honest I think two per month might be a lot seeing as people will need time to listen to the music as well. One per month is probably more "easy" to digest.
I was also thinking something like going chronologically, like the oldest band first and then newer and newer stuff, but there might be better ways of picking the order. Just draw people's names or something.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
Why plan it out? I'd say everyone takes the time that they need or they are willing to give if there is currently discussion ongoing, within reason of course. That makes it easier to coordinate bands like SX with less than 10 albums with bands like Rush with nearly 20 or something around that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2013, 11:11:46 AM »
Ah, one artist per month.  That makes more sense.  It was the phrase "album of the month" that was confusing me.

I guess I'll proceed with my mutiny, then.  :yarr

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2013, 11:15:43 AM »
I say we allow 2 people at any given time, and when one is done, the next starts up, that way if there's one long discography, and one short one, when the latter if finished, another can start up of equal or similar length.

For me, my SB discography will cover the band's 11 studio albums to match my Survivor, but I'll also throw in some of the live stuff, videos, compilations, and other albums of interest. I'm going to try and make it comprehensive like Orbert's threads have been!

-Marc.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »
Zydar, go for it.  I will be following this thread throughout... what a great idea!
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2013, 03:47:49 PM »
Could I make a small request?  I'm kind of hip-deep in prepping for my Top 50 album list so, if at all possible, could I do mine mid-late 2013?  Say about... July or August?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:57:43 PM by DebraKadabra »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
Seeing as how no one has claimed Zeppelin, and seeing as how they've been following my side for the last 24 years (tattoo on my shoulder), they're mine.  But, it looks like there are 12 people confirmed already?  I dunno, can't tell.  But I'm down for them (on the heels of Page's 69th birthday yesterday).

Stampsie's no erasie's.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:03:36 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »
I got Thrice.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
I would love to do Van Halen
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »
That's what Valerie Bertinelli said (back in the day). :icy:

:laugh:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2013, 09:16:59 AM »
Yikes.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 10:57:53 AM »
following
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »
I'd gladly do King Crimson, as I'm an avid fan of them.. But I'm too new here, so I don't think I'd do a good job.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2013, 01:02:51 AM »

Jethro, git outa that cement pond an' fix your pa some lemonade!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.