Author Topic: Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club (PLEASE READ PAGE 3)  (Read 4046 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club (PLEASE READ PAGE 3)
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
Not like I hid that you need to participate in other discographies, guys. It was right in the OP. This thread has never been for people who just "know" they won't like something and have no desire to explore.

1.   You will see your installment of the series through within 30 days, with reasonable extension, and will not begin your installment until the current installment is finished and/or expired and
2.   You will agree to participate in the installments of all 11 other participants, which includes listening to a reasonable number of the albums discussed (at your own personally expense—perhaps Youtube or Spotify is a good idea).

That said, you don't have to listen to EVERYTHING. But, you have to try to listen to as much as possible. Since I'm doing Dylan, I'd probably cover an era of albums with each installment, while offering one as a suggestion.

No, you didn't hide it, and I don't have a problem popping in to pay attention to the discussion/thread, but like Kev said, I'm not inclined to spend time with music I already know I don't like.  I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "participate", or perhaps I misunderstood how 'mandatory' it was. 

No hard feelings, I'm just going to kick myself out of the club before someone else does it for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »
I read the OP too - I misunderstood the intent.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
Also, I would totally be up for Alice in Chains and I don't think they're out of place at all.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2013, 12:16:22 PM »
Well, like I said - I'll probably do that as a separate thread after I do my Top 50 album list. :)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
I'm still up for it.  Even though I am not a fan of Dylan or TSP at all, there is a great list of bands there to explore deeper. I hope The Letter M takes Spock's Beard deeper and does Neal Morse projects as well because Neal Morse is one of my Top 5 musical minds. I am extremely curious to dig deeper into IQ.  I have a couple of albums from them which are brilliant.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »
Glad you're still on board, Prog Snob. I haven't listened to much PF aside from their big albums, but I was gifted many of them just recently, so I'm excited to delve in.

This thread has never been for people who just "know" they won't like something and have no desire to explore.

Okay, but I have listened to enough Bob Dylan and Symphony X, for example, to know that I don't care for either, and I am not gonna waste any more of my time listening to either.  Sorry, but I'm just not.  Life is too short, and there is way too much music out there that I love already, for me to waste my time trying to force myself to like artists that I already gave many chances to already.

And that's fine. This club isn't for you. If people got the opposite impression from reading my OP, then I've done a pretty terrible job at communicating my message. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Feels kinda weird to me if people expected everyone else to participate when it came to their own band, but not willing to listen to a band that someone else had picked. I mean, the whole purpose of this is to get a nice discussion going, and to get people to hear the music.
Otherwise it could just have been a normal discussion in the band's own thread here in GMD.
Exactly.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
Anyway, I was targeting to schedule things out this week, but I'll leave a few days for the current participants to digest whether they want to be a part of this or not. That is, people who said they're participating should decide whether they're going to participate in other people's threads, or if they just want to go off and do their own thing. 

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
I'm expanding my tastes very rapidly, and this seems an excellent idea to widen them further, but I don't know if I'll have enough time to dedicate myself fully to the job of listening to all that stuff by some artists. Thinking it over right now. I'm not sure if I'll be able to participate. Note that I read and fully understood the intention of this club, but only now I've come to realise that some artists have massive discographies.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
So... does this mean that those who aren't part of the club cannot participate in the discussions?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »
I'm expanding my tastes very rapidly, and this seems an excellent idea to widen them further, but I don't know if I'll have enough time to dedicate myself fully to the job of listening to all that stuff by some artists. Thinking it over right now. I'm not sure if I'll be able to participate. Note that I read and fully understood the intention of this club, but only now I've come to realise that some artists have massive discographies.

Good point. Here’s what I personally expect: you’ll do your best to give everything a good try. That is, you’ll follow other people’s threads and listen to the music discussed enough to make meaningful contributions to the discussion.

Since I’m asking people to keep their threads running to around a month, I suspect that means most people will update once or twice a week. Ideally, you’ll be able to read most of the updates, listen to the music if you have time and means, and make some comments contrasting opinions about the music. A good host will realize that you have a life and other obligations, and probably won’t be too upset if you wind up commenting only on every-other update. BUT obviously if you ignoring someone’s thread outright, they’re going to get upset, and probably give you the same treatment.

Likewise, good hosts have certain obligations which go without saying, but I’ll say them anyway. Obviously, someone who picks an artist with a 45 album discog can’t expect everyone else to listen to it all. So, participants who pick big discographies have to be understanding.

To illustrate, I’ll explain to you what I intend to do with my guy, Dylan, who has 35 albums in his discography:

What I am going to do is break Dylan’s discography down into 6 or 7 “eras”, made up of 5 albums each. Every four or five days, I’ll post a new update, which will cover an “era”. I’ll touch on all the albums of that era in my post, but I will suggest only one or two to listen to, or else a handful of songs. I may even provide Youtube or Spotify links, just to help facilitate the discussion.  Obviously not every participant will reply to every update, but if every participant (assuming 12 people join the club) decides to respond to at least every-other update, that still means I’d have 6 people, give or take, commenting on every one of my updates, listening to at least some of the music.  It’s nice to imagine everyone will listen to and comment on everything, but I’m more than willing to accept the compromise that sometimes people just won’t.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2013, 02:42:05 PM »
So... does this mean that those who aren't part of the club cannot participate in the discussions?
Nope. Not sure why you think it'd mean that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:14:03 PM by Perpetual Change »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »
That sounds great Joe.

I must say that I am really excited about this. The final list might be different, but for now, Iron Maiden for example is a band where I know the entire discography, but haven't listened to actively in maybe 6 years. Revisiting some of these albums feels incredibly exciting, I know it's something I could do whenever I want, but this is a good excuse to take the time for it.
Then there are bands like Pink Floyd and Rush where I know the classic albums (and love them), but don't know much else. So I am excited about discovering the more underrated albums as well.

With my own pick; The Smashing Pumpkins, they have 9 studio albums and some B-Sides collections. So It's going to be pretty good I think, timewise.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »
That's what Valerie Bertinelli said (back in the day). :icy:

:laugh:
Eddie doesn't look so bad nowadays.  :lol Actually, it's hard to believe that Eddie in Kev's picture is the same Eddie as mine
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
drugs
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »
I'm in, definitely.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2013, 03:43:23 PM »
drugs

Yup.

Just confirming for PC that I plan on doing the discog for Alice in Chains as my own thang.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »
drugs

Yup.

Just confirming for PC that I plan on doing the discog for Alice in Chains as my own thang.

One of us... one of us... one of us...

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »
 ???

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2013, 11:51:29 AM »
I don't see why it has to be a "club".  If someone is familiar enough with a band or wants to learn, they can jump in, if not, they can opt out.  I declined because I don't have the time to commit to leading a discussion at the level of discourse desired, but I'd certainly join in on bands I was familiar with.  I get the idea of trying to get people involved in others, but what would be accomplished if people were "required" to chime in with posts like, "not my cup of tea, but I suffered through it for you" every now and again.  If I don't like a particular band or artist, I stay out of that thread out of respect of those that do.  At this point in my life, if I had ever had the desire to check out The Beatles, I would have done so.  Most bands have enough fans that artificially generating discussion isn't necessary I think.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »
I don't see why it has to be a "club".  If someone is familiar enough with a band or wants to learn, they can jump in, if not, they can opt out.  I declined because I don't have the time to commit to leading a discussion at the level of discourse desired, but I'd certainly join in on bands I was familiar with.  I get the idea of trying to get people involved in others, but what would be accomplished if people were "required" to chime in with posts like, "not my cup of tea, but I suffered through it for you" every now and again.  If I don't like a particular band or artist, I stay out of that thread out of respect of those that do.  At this point in my life, if I had ever had the desire to check out The Beatles, I would have done so.  Most bands have enough fans that artificially generating discussion isn't necessary I think.
I respect your outlook, but it's exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to avoid with this.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
I've already started prepping for when it is my turn.  I'm dumping all of the Pink Floyd CDs onto my computer at work so I can listen to them during the day. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2013, 12:23:45 PM »
I respect your outlook, but it's exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to avoid with this.

Avoid people respectfully stay out of threads they don't care about?  I'm not sure what you're trying to avoid.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »
Doc, it’s a club. You have to participate in other people’s threads if you’re gonna run your own as part of this club. Just like, in school, you have to show up to class presentations even if you’ve already finished yours and don’t care about or already know about what someone else is talking about.

Getting people to listen to and discuss music is what this club is all about. I don’t want people ignoring other people’s threads just because they *know* or *think* they won’t like it, or are just too lazy to give it a chance. I’m open to specific suggestions on how to go about running the club, but the purpose of the club is not open for debate. If you’re not down with that, I would appreciate it if you respectfully avoid THIS thread.   If you want to discuss a band outside of this club no-one is stopping you. The whole point of this club is to create a pool of people who are willing give other things a shot.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »
I agree with Dr. DTVT's mindset, but Perpetual Change is technically correct.  It might motivate more "non-club" discography threads, which may be a good thing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2013, 01:11:53 PM »
If you want to discuss a band outside of this club no-one is stopping you. The whole point of this club is to create a pool of people who are willing give other things a shot.

So if we're not in "the club", we're not allowed or discouraged from joining in the discussion?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »
Nope. Not sure why you think it'd mean that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »
So, anyone who wants to talk about a band and their history/discography, has to participate in every discussion (ie, be part of the club).  But the rest of us can just be spectators and watch/comment whenever we feel like it.

Strange club.  Just my opinion.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »
It’s not “strange”. I’ve participated in reading groups, movie groups, and beer-of-the-month clubs that are exactly like this. You want to participate, and make the group check out your thing? Cool, but you can’t bail when it’s someone else’s turn. As a great poet once said, “don’t you see respect is not a one-way street?”

Frankly, bluntly, and with admitted annoyance, I feel like what’s “strange” here is that many people rushed to pick bands to talk about without even reading the rules, and got bummed when they realized there would be rules they didn’t like, and are now complaining because the rules aren’t tailor-made to their own liking. Well, I’m sorry, but as I just said to DTVT, that rule in particular is what separates this group from something anyone could just do on their own.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »
I think the primary issue as that while most of us would be interested in participating in at least some (if not all) of the discussions, we may not have enough time to lead our own discussion.

Speaking only for myself, I'd definitely be up for going through everyone else's artist and joining in the discussion, even if its a band I've tried before and wasn't thrilled about, because who knows? Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, and I'd be willing to take the risk of listening to a band that I may not have initially liked for that possibility. I'm just not entirely sure why it must be mandatory for participants to lead their own discussion. Time is the main issue for me, but even if I did have the time, I believe there would be little interest in the one artist I'd care to lead a discussion on (David Gray). Maybe I'm wrong, and there would be interest...

Regardless, I get the idea of the 'club', and respect it. I'd love to join in solely as a spectator, and go through each discography. And who knows, maybe there would be some interest in going through David Gray's discography. I just know from experience that most people on this thread probably wouldn't be too interested.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:08:00 PM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
Frankly, bluntly, and with admitted annoyance, I feel like what’s “strange” here is that many people rushed to pick bands to talk about without even reading the rules, and got bummed when they realized there would be rules they didn’t like, and are now complaining because the rules aren’t tailor-made to their own liking.

I admittedly misunderstood your guidelines, that's not your fault - it's solely mine.  No complaints about it either - your club, your rules.  I totally respect that.

My issue, like seneca mentioned, is time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »
Frankly, bluntly, and with admitted annoyance, I feel like what’s “strange” here is that many people rushed to pick bands to talk about without even reading the rules, and got bummed when they realized there would be rules they didn’t like, and are now complaining because the rules aren’t tailor-made to their own liking.

I admittedly misunderstood your guidelines, that's not your fault - it's solely mine.  No complaints about it either - your club, your rules.  I totally respect that.

My issue, like seneca mentioned, is time.

What she said.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2013, 06:19:55 PM »
Like I said, I didn't have time to lead one myself, so my main concern was that the rule was potentially stifling discussion of other bands.  I don't know The Flower Kings real well and the one album I heard from them didn't really click - but it seems like I love everything else those guys are involved in so I was really looking forward to Kev potentially doing them since he is either the TFK expert here, or at least the most vocal fan - and when he and others dropped I was looking for a way to try to keep them in the fold.  I realize my initial post came off as a critique of the policy, but it came out as a poorly worded suggestion where instead of being forward I tried to lead you reach my conclusion on your own.  My inception failed.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2013, 08:08:28 PM »
Well, Kev was only tentatively in anyway, and whether he does a TFK thread or not is completely up to him. This club I isn't going to try and control what kind of threads are made outside of it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2013, 08:58:21 PM »
So, anyone who wants to talk about a band and their history/discography, has to participate in every discussion (ie, be part of the club).  But the rest of us can just be spectators and watch/comment whenever we feel like it.

Strange club.  Just my opinion.

Consider it an enigmatic union of esoteric thought.   ;)