Author Topic: Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club (PLEASE READ PAGE 3)  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club (PLEASE READ PAGE 3)
« on: January 09, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »
A couple of months ago, Orbet hosted one of the most fun threads we've had this side of DTFsince as long as I've been a poster. What I’m talking about, of course, was his series on Yes’ discography. While many of us at DTF are fans of at least Yes' most famous material, Orbert's thread gave us all a chance to fully probe the output of a band that was an immense influence on all progressive music. Those who did not know much about Yes and participated were enriched by Orbert's thread, while those who merely followed along occasionally without participating still had an enjoyable and educational experience.

The goal here is to recreate that experience with an "album of the month" club, which I’m titling as the "Timeless Discographies Club". What will happen is, 12 participants (11, plus me), will each choose a discography from a band or artist which 1.) is considered to be highly important and influential, 2.) is particularly vibrant and/or underexplored and 3.) is likely relevant to DTF's tastes. After a poster has chosen a discography they’d like to share with the rest of the board, they will begin posting with regular updates in which they provide background information and some of their own thoughts on the various albums, live releases, and line-up changes of the band or artist being discussed.

If you are interested in this type of discussion series and would like to participate, sign-up and post the artist you would like to discuss here. After 11 posters have signed-up, I will begin randomly scheduling people. Hopefully, we can begin the series with the first album discussion in February. If you would like to participate, there are really only two rules:

1.   You will see your installment of the series through within 30 days, with reasonable extension, and will not begin your installment until the current installment is finished and/or expired and
2.   You will agree to participate in the installments of all 11 other participants, which includes listening to a reasonable number of the albums discussed (at your own personally expense—perhaps Youtube or Spotify is a good idea).

I am not sure which artist I will choose yet. Perhaps I will let others choose first. In the meantime, I hope these few suggestions of bands many of us like or would like, but haven't deeply explored yet, is helpful:

The Beatles
Bob Dylan
Genesis
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
Marillion
Neil Young
Oceansize
Opeth
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Rush

Reminder: These are just suggestions. Seriously, feel free to discuss something completely different. Just make sure that it’s something that is considered important, interesting, and potentially enjoyable to DTF’s tastes.

Hope to see plenty of sign-ups, so we can get the ball rolling on this!

As of 7am EST Jan 10:

Definite:
1.Nick- Rush
2.Theseoafs- Iron Maiden
3.Scorpion- Symphony X
4.Prog Snob- Pink Floyd
5.The Letter M- Spock’s Beard
6.Orbert- Emerson Lak& Palmer
7.Perpetual Change- Bob Dylan
8.Zantera- The Smashing Pumpkins
9.DebraKadabra- Alice in Chains
10.Zydar- The Beatles

Tentative:
Bosk- Queensryche
Lonestar- IQ
rodgerdil- steely dan
KevShmev- The Flower Kings
sirbradford- the beatles
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:49:57 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Roll Call: The Timeless Discographies Club
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
Well, since I'm seeing this now I might as well grab Rush!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:32:43 AM »
Great idea. I'm kind of interested in doing The Beatles, since they're my favourite band ever, if no one else wants to claim them. 
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:42:41 AM »
Like anyone else will claim them after YOU have shown interest.

:zydar:
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 08:45:57 AM »
Cool idea.  I'm will definitely follow.  I probably won't actually participate unless we need participants.  I have a band in mind that is not on the list that I think is definitely fair game.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »
Hmm... I could do Iron Maiden, if you guys think they're important enough.  (I certainly do.)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
Not sure if either of these count as "sufficiently important", but I'd be interested in doing either Extreme or Angra and I'm sure that quite a lot of people would be interested around here. Your call, if you don't consider them important enough, I understand.

EDIT: I'd also do Symphony X, come to think of it. Their discography would definitely warrant it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:02:54 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:47:33 AM »
I definitely want to see somebody do Maiden. Also, Joe, when should I start on Rush, and should I be doing it in this thread or its own? Also, with Rush I'll be doing about 25 installments with all the live releases and a few random items, and I think 45 or so days would allow for about 2 days for each, would that be alright?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
This sounds really cool. I gotta ask though, how would it work seeing as a band like Oceansize (for example) has a relatively small discography, compared to something like Rush or Neil Young which have massive discographies?

Anyhow, cool idea Joe. I'll come back and read through the first post again later, right now I'm really hungry from not having eaten anything today, so it's hard to maintain focus. :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:59:49 AM »
Bah, an inferior fan beat me to Rush. :censored 

Will still follow, though. :biggrin:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:06:57 AM »
I would definitely love to discuss Pink Floyd.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Nice to see so much interest so soon. Let me get to a couple of question. I’m not gonna answer every question, but some of these answers might answer questions from other posters.

This sounds really cool. I gotta ask though, how would it work seeing as a band like Oceansize (for example) has a relatively small discography, compared to something like Rush or Neil Young which have massive discographies?

Good question. Be creative. Oceansize, who just have a few albums and EPs, would obviously be a band that you could do with an album per week, while maybe focusing on EPs of live albums in between, midweek. Meanwhile, if you picked Neil Young or Rush, you’d obviously have to focus on a few albums at a time. You DO NOT have to cover every single album, but you should cover every single era. So, if you were doing Rush, you could try and cram every album in, but you could also try to maybe group things by phase, too, while making sure to hit as many albums as possible in each update.

Also, Joe, when should I start on Rush, and should I be doing it in this thread or its own? Also, with Rush I'll be doing about 25 installments with all the live releases and a few random items, and I think 45 or so days would allow for about 2 days for each, would that be alright?

For the first part of your question, after sign-ups are complete I will produce a randomly generated schedule. As far as how you’d cover Rush, it’s up to how you want to do it. Not every installment needs to be exactly the same. See above.

Hmm... I could do Iron Maiden, if you guys think they're important enough.  (I certainly do.)

I think they’re a great idea.

Cool idea.  I'm will definitely follow.  I probably won't actually participate unless we need participants.  I have a band in mind that is not on the list that I think is definitely fair game.

I haven’t listened to any Y&T, but I think they’d be a great idea too. Bands that factions of the forum really like—and the rest of the forum isn’t really well or deeply acquainted with—are exactly the type of bands I’m hoping to attract for discussion in this series .

I’ll try to answer some more questions during lunch and throughout the day. By tonight, I’ll try and get a first cut of participants and their selections out.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 09:28:24 AM »
Never can have enough discussion of Rush, Pink Floyd and Opeth.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »
Okay Joe. I will have to think a bit about what band to pick, while Oceansize is my favorite band there might be bands more "suitable" for something like this.
Will you update the OP with who has picked what band etc?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 09:33:35 AM »
I've been thinking a little, and I'd really like to do Symphony X, actually (I'd edit my post, but that might get overlooked), if everyone's ok with that. :)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34:12 AM »
awesome idea!  Of the bands that have been mentioned but aren't in the OP, I would definitely like to see these (unfortunately I don't feel like I have sufficient knowledge of most of the bands - or really any of them - to contribute a worthy history):

Symphony X
Maiden
Extreme

But, I also wouldn't want to limit any bands being discussed because this is another great way to discover new music (and spend more money!). 
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »
Cool idea!
Bands that haven't been mentioned yet that can be included:

Beach Boys
Jimi Hendrix (though his discography isn't as elaborate as others)
Metallica
Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Alice in Chains (or just the grunge scene as a whole, picking out some important stuff by these and maybe some other bands)

Of these, I'd like to do Jimi the most, but as I said, his discography is limited.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »
^I'd really like to participate in a discussion on the Beach Boys.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »
Orbert also started a Genesis thread, so why not same logic as keeping Yes off of this list.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 09:50:56 AM »

I haven’t listened to any Y&T, but I think they’d be a great idea too. Bands that factions of the forum really like—and the rest of the forum isn’t really well or deeply acquainted with—are exactly the type of bands I’m hoping to attract for discussion in this series .

:lol  Believe me, I'd be pretty qualified, AND I think it would be a blast to do Y&T.  But I think Queensryche would be a bit more relevant. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 09:52:31 AM »
^I'd really like to participate in a discussion on the Beach Boys.

That'd be really interesting to discuss. I'd rank them higher than DT on my list of favourite bands ever. Go for it!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »
I would *love* to do Spock's Beard, especially if I can line it up with my SB Survivor, which should start sometime in April or May, and more especially since their new line-up is releasing an album in a couple of months!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »
Good idea, I will be following a lot of these, Orbert's Yes thread was wonderful. As to participating, the only band I could do in depth enough would be IQ, and I'm not sure I would be able to make the time commitment.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Okay, I will try and keep this updated pretty regularly, but since afternoons are busier than mornings, I probably won’t have time until later at night. I am thinking of doing ELP. They seem to be a band that pretty much never gets their due anymore, even in prog circles where you’d think they have more of a following. However, I also really want to try Dylan, despite his huge discography.

Definite:
Nick- Rush
Theseoafs- Iron Maiden
Scorpion- Symphony X
Prog Snob- Pink Floyd
The Letter M- Spock’s Beard

Tentative:
Zantera- ???
Bosk- Queensryche
Lonestar- IQ

At least 3 spots still remaining, and potentially more. Seen some good ideas floating around. A few more suggestions:

Flower Kings
Queen
Zappa (if anyone is willing to tackle it)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Man, I can't believe nobody is calling for Milli Vanilli?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »
I'm in.

PC, go with Dylan.  I was thinking of doing ELP next, if that's okay.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
I'm in.

PC, go with Dylan.  I was thinking of doing ELP next, if that's okay.

I support this idea! :tup Orbert, your Yes and Genesis threads must be complimented with ELP! Those three form three similar, yet different, foundation-blocks of 70's prog, and I'd love to follow their discography with your write-ups!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »
I read this thread title on the main screen as Roll Call: The Time! and thought it was about Morris Day's band.  Oh well.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »
I'll do Steely Dan/Donald Fagen if haven't alienated you already.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »
They are essential. I would've taken it on myself, but I just don't have time to maintain it, but I will definitely participate.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »
I read this thread title on the main screen as Roll Call: The Time! and thought it was about Morris Day's band.  Oh well.

The Time were pretty cool.  I remember watching Purple Rain, and thought it was cool how both bands were actually pretty good.  Lots of good music in that movie.

I'll do Steely Dan/Donald Fagen if haven't alienated you already.

I'll be following this.  I have everything by Steely Dan, but know very little about them.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
Cool, don't know that much either, but would study more if chosen.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
I'll take on the Smashing Pumpkins then.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
I would normally jump all over The Flower Kings, but I have barely listened to them for the last four or five months, and I am not gonna force myself to do so just for the sake of doing the discography thread on them.  Not to mention that they are a spring/summer band, so it would be better to do them around that time. 

I wouldn't mind doing solo Neal Morse, but I am not sure how much inside information and deep facts I'd be able to bring to the table.  Not to mention that I don't have any of his worship or live albums.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 01:48:43 PM »
I'll do Porcupine Tree.
Promises to be a short week.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.