Poll

Which would you choose?

Prolonged Life
32 (28.1%)
Immediate Fortune
82 (71.9%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: 200 more years to live or 200 million dollars?  (Read 5882 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
200 more years to live or 200 million dollars?
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:36:43 AM »
These questions are always fun.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: 200 more years to live or 200 million dollars?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:39:26 AM »
Tough one. My first thought is 200 years, but I'm not sure I could handle watching everyone around me die because of their much shorter lifespans. Based on that, I'm actually undecided for now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:45:23 AM »
How would i age?
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 08:53:41 AM »
The money. Definitely.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »
I voted 200 more years to live, but only if that doesn't mean 80 years of regular life and then 120 more of being old and pooping yourself.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:55:57 AM »
How would i age?

Normally. Your health, appearance, etc. would scale with the extra time you've been given.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:56:51 AM »
Assuming you get to live the average life span, I would definitely take the 200 million dollars.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »
I'd go with immediate fortune. With that type of cash and wise planning I could guarantee financial stability for a few generations. I'd be able to build the all inclusive compound I daydream about when the lottery gets high, and one aspect of that is having an area dedicated to preserving the memory and essence of family members who pass on. An eternal life on earth so to speak.
   I personally don't think it all ends when our bodies quit working and believe what's to come is far greater than what's here, so I don't want to prolong that experience at all. Plus, 200 million bucks sounds great right about now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 09:05:49 AM »
Prolonged life. I have so many projects to do.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »
The money. Though living long is tempting as hell as well.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 09:38:11 AM »
Money

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 09:42:07 AM »
Would rather have the money so I can spend my life with those I love, comfortably.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »
I think I'd choose the money. I'm not the kind of person who dreams of being rich, but I could find many good ways to use the money and even if I died suddenly, my close ones could have it. I wouldn't want to live for 200 years, because it would be depressing to see my friends and family members die before me and if my life got boring and painful at some point, it wouldn't be nice to think "100 more years to go - shit!"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »
Cash, I've seen enough of life to know I don't want 200 more years of it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »
Exactly, give me the cash.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
Tough call. My initial inclination is the cash.  However, this is an extraordinary time to be alive. After four thousand years of normal evolution, we turned a corner in the 1900's. We're now growing and learning exponentially. Change is coming at a rate that's simply unheard of. Hell, just 50 years from now the world will be unrecognizable to us. My interest in longevity isn't for myself, insomuch as I really want to see what happens to mankind. I'm fascinated by where we'll be in 200 years.

Of course there's always the possibility that you opt for 200 years, and then get Captain Trips and die.  That'd suck.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »
Tough call. My initial inclination is the cash.  However, this is an extraordinary time to be alive. After four thousand years of normal evolution, we turned a corner in the 1900's. We're now growing and learning exponentially. Change is coming at a rate that's simply unheard of. Hell, just 50 years from now the world will be unrecognizable to us. My interest in longevity isn't for myself, insomuch as I really want to see what happens to mankind. I'm fascinated by where we'll be in 200 years.

Of course there's always the possibility that you opt for 200 years, and then get Captain Trips and die.  That'd suck.

I was hoping the hypothetical situation safe-guarded me against dying before my guaranteed 200, otherwise I'm sure to die before then due to general unhealthiness or cancer or something.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 10:15:19 AM »

I was hoping the hypothetical situation safe-guarded me against dying before my guaranteed 200, otherwise I'm sure to die before then due to general unhealthiness or cancer or something.
Even so. Is being one of the .1% that survives a pandemic really what you signed on for? I'm a loner by nature, so I'd do just fine, but I imagine most wouldn't cope too well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »

Even so. Is being one of the .1% that survives a pandemic really what you signed on for? I'm a loner by nature, so I'd do just fine, but I imagine most wouldn't cope too well.

Comes back to my earlier point about not wanting to outlive everyone you know. It may even be worse if you're a loner, because you're going to notice the death of an individual you care for more than if you had a lot of friends.
I'd love to live longer if everyone else was in the same boat too, but if it's just me, it's going to kind of suck.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
This is a no-brainer.  Gimme the money.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 10:22:28 AM »
Money.

Nothing could happen in the next 200 years that would make the following 200 years less interesting. So if I live for 200 years, I'll just be too curious what could happen even later, etc.

Why not use the 200 mill to enjoy the life you have.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
The money, easily.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
200 more years. Life is awesome. And I'm sure I'd make a lot of money as a 200 year old who still looks like he's 60.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
Took me about half a second to decide on prolonged life. Living 200+ years (I'm assuming it'd be more realistic in that it's just the 'probable' age in which one will die; for instance if I were healthy and active I could live to 210..or visa versa) would be fucking amazing. The changes I'd be able to see, the changes I'd be able to make perhaps, the amount of knowledge one would accumulate after that first 100 stretch...so much more potential. Dangerously horrifying in one aspect, but only for the fact that in 200 years, shit can really do a 180; it'd either be awesome or horrible. Either way, I'm one to take it at face value and be happy that I could see that much of life no matter what. Yeah, friends and family dying long before me would suck, but that's about it. I'm kind of numb to death at this point and no matter how long something lives, everything has an expiration date. In the end that would hardly affect me, especially considering...200 years.

What's really sad? That amount of money is not much at all if you're living 200 years, and on the other side of that coin, 200 years still isn't a long time to live if you're looking at the lifespan of all beings; I mean, there's fucking fish out there that live more than 200 years (...and whales). Not by much, but still. It's funny how pathetically short human lives are. I used to find that so weird as a kid, that despite how advanced we are, certain animals that we find insignificant will outlive all of us without a doubt. Either way this hypothetical 'gift' situation sucks ass. As does life at the end no matter how much money you have or how long you've already lived.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 10:42:04 AM »
I don't even need 1 million dollars (though it would be nice), much less 200 mil.

On the other hand, life well spent is infinitely valuable. Imagine the things you could do with an extra 123 years of life (assuming you would die at 77, or whatever the average life expectancy is where you're from).

Life is eternal
Life is eternal
Life is eternal
Life is eternal
Life is eternal
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
If I'd be healthy for 199.5 years - prolonged life.....

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 12:05:10 PM »
Don't want the money and I'm already being cryogenically frozen at 65. :D

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »
I don't think I want to live for another 200 years.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 12:35:35 PM »
shit i voted year by accident - definitely money.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »
Money. I don't want to watch everyone I love die around me.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »
For a lot of people, it seems like the dilemma is not between an extra 200 years and $200 million. The dilemma is between a long life and a short life. It sounds like a lot of people just don't want to live an extended life at all.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
That definitely seems to be the trend, which kinda surprises me...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »
Neither. I couldn't stand to watch all my loved ones pass away, and I don't know what I'd do with all that money. Yes it'd set my hypothetical descendents up for life, but I don't want them to be inheritance kiddies.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
Why not just take the money and donate it to charity?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »
Probably the easiest question ever.

Money. Like Blob said, I couldn't stand seeing all the ones I know now just die. It'd be weird and really uncomfortable. Honestly, it'd be fucking boring lasting that long.