Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848725 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #6650 on: July 07, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »
And it's not even with just Dream Theater. When Kvelertak released the single from their new album this year, I tried for awhile to not listen to it but eventually caved. I said I'd avoid any single or snippets for this DT album, but will most likely cave.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6651 on: July 07, 2013, 05:29:52 PM »
The artwork for Kvelertak's single was enough for me to cave.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6652 on: July 07, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »
I prefer it to ADTOE in both songwriting and production. :lol
Songwriting, maybe. Production? No way.
Preferring either of them is laughable to me, but he's Blob.  :cool:

I don't see how that's laughable. ADTOE's production is almost unlistenable to me, and even though that fake was far from perfect either, it was much better than ADTOE's mix. And songwriting is completely subjective, but this reminds me of the type of instrumental stuff DT used to do, with interesting sounds. ADTOE to me was very bland instrumentally.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:39:57 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6653 on: July 07, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »

I don't see how that's laughable. ADTOE's production is almost unlistenable to me, and even though that fake was far from perfect either, it was much better than ADTOE's mix. And songwriting is completely subjective, but this reminds me of the type of instrumental stuff DT used to do, with interesting sounds. ADTOE to me was very bland instrumentally.
Agreed. It doesn't have any punch. There wasn't a lot of dynamic contrast either.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #6654 on: July 07, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »

Agreed. It doesn't have any punch. There wasn't a lot of dynamic contrast either.

What album would you say had very good dynamic contrast?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6655 on: July 07, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »
What ADTOE had was good melodies and good hooks, and that's really all that matters, because that's what makes it stick in the brain.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6656 on: July 07, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »

I want to believe this is a fake, but what if it's actually part of the instrumental song on the album that's hasn't been mastered. We know the masters are done, but I doubt the label would release a fully complete song even for snippets so soon after finishing the masters. It might be possible for one of the unmastered tracks to be leaked though.

It could happen.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:34:16 PM by wolven74 »
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #6657 on: July 07, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »
So what you're saying is.....

they're re-writing SFAM now? :neverusethis:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6658 on: July 07, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »

Has it been confirmed by the band or the label that the "leaked snippet" is actually off DT's new album? If not, then I'm more inclined to believe it's not DT at all. Sure it sounds like something they might do. But I seriously doubt that snippet is actually them.

There are always fakes like this, and I don't think they even need response from the label/band. I have no doubt that it's fake.
First of all, the chances of some random person getting a copy of the album this soon is almost zero. Very few people would have access to it at this point, and they would not risk their asses to show off publicly on Youtube. And if they did, they wouldn't leak one tiny snippet of instrumental music that proves nothing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #6659 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »

What album would you say had very good dynamic contrast?
I'd say..Octavarium, definitely Six Degrees, Falling Into Infinity. Most of their albums are good really, but those are the ones that stick out. On the other hand, Black Clouds and SC also suffer from not having a lot of dynamic contrast, but where ADTOE has no punch, these two albums have way too much. Which makes me think that ADTOE was produced that way on purpose. Hopefully DT12 has a better balance.

Edit: I'm just talking about production here. Dream Theater excels at dynamics, but sometimes it doesn't translate to the studio.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #6660 on: July 07, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »
Six Degrees for sure.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6661 on: July 08, 2013, 12:15:30 AM »
ADTOE was perhaps intentionally light on the low end precisely because SC and BC&SL were exceedingly heavy on it. There was a pronounced lack of MPs influence in the production. That isn't a bad thing. I heard a return to the art of crafting a meaningful song. There were still some heavier BitS, but it wasn't leaning toward screams and growls, which undermines DT music. Plus--and I know I always come back to this--let's not forget that they had a new member they'd never played with before. That can sometimes be difficult when mixing, having a new member's input. Especially one who was uncomfortable giving creative input his first time in the studio with a new band. I'm sure DT12 will have a better balance now that everyone is comfortable with each other.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #6662 on: July 08, 2013, 01:03:42 AM »
Oh I'm certain it was mixed that way on purpose. I've never really seen any of their production flaws as accidents. JP and (before he quit) MP know what they're doing. They might not always be the best choices, as seen heavily on the last three albums, but it's not like, say, Death Magnetic or recent Iron Maiden albums where it really seems like the band fucked up. I mean, I can totally understand why DT took the route they did with every single album they've made. (Except WDADU, but I don't count that. :P)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6663 on: July 08, 2013, 02:32:59 AM »
Speaking of wrong fonts, when is this site going to get the correct one?

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #6664 on: July 08, 2013, 02:43:12 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9wAstB0N9Q

I don't care much about the song. But with changing the band's name to the correct font and making it white and then adding some more depth and purple nebula... I'd be happy with the new album having a cover like that.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #6665 on: July 08, 2013, 06:48:26 AM »
That is not JP's tone at all.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #6666 on: July 08, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »
Speaking of wrong fonts, when is this site going to get the correct one?
This. Default should be Times New Roman.

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #6667 on: July 08, 2013, 08:02:58 AM »
Could someone please give a summary on what's happening with the new DT cd? What's the latest information? Information via Facebook is minimal from DT-camp. It's been much better before, could have something to do with MPs departure.

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #6668 on: July 08, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »
Could someone please give a summary on what's happening with the new DT cd? What's the latest information? Information via Facebook is minimal from DT-camp. It's been much better before, could have something to do with MPs departure.

We're meant to be getting the tracklist and the cover image within the next week, according to Roadrunner's Twitter.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #6669 on: July 08, 2013, 08:21:40 AM »

Dream Theater has a new album coming out this year.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6670 on: July 08, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »
That is not JP's tooooneeee at all.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6671 on: July 08, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »

We're meant to be getting the tracklist and the cover image within the next week, according to Roadrunner's Twitter.

Of course that timeframe may or may not be just a guess by the twitter account operator.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #6672 on: July 08, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »

Of course that timeframe may or may not be just a guess by the twitter account operator.

True, but I very much hope that it's not simply a guess

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #6673 on: July 08, 2013, 09:16:53 AM »
just appreciating how there is going to be an orchestra on this album. How many songs will include the orchestra? (is that something we know?). It's going to give it that 8vm vibe, which is totally up my ally  :metal  :corn
Seriously the more I think about it the more I think that this could be on par with SFAM and SDOIT.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #6674 on: July 08, 2013, 09:26:05 AM »
I think it was confirmed that 4 songs would feature the orchestra

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #6675 on: July 08, 2013, 09:50:20 AM »
It would be beyond amazing if some of the orchestral instruments had lead parts.  A violin doubling JP's shred or a cello vs Myung bass solo spot. 
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6676 on: July 08, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
just appreciating how there is going to be an orchestra on this album. How many songs will include the orchestra? (is that something we know?). It's going to give it that 8vm vibe, which is totally up my ally  :metal  :corn
Seriously the more I think about it the more I think that this could be on par with SFAM and SDOIT.

I feel like we're going to get the best parts of 8vm/ADTOE, blended with the best parts of SFAM/SDOIT. Then hopefully something new and forward-thinking.

Offline rcseeley421

« Reply #6677 on: July 08, 2013, 10:15:34 AM »
I just asked on Twitter about DT news and they replied with one word: tomorrow! My Twitter is @ryancseeley for proof since I can't post a photo right now.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #6678 on: July 08, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »
I think it was confirmed that 4 songs would feature the orchestra
It wasn't. That's a line someone here put in a spoof press release.

Offline 425

« Reply #6679 on: July 08, 2013, 10:32:37 AM »
I just asked on Twitter about DT news and they replied with one word: tomorrow! My Twitter is @ryancseeley for proof since I can't post a photo right now.

There you go.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #6680 on: July 08, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »
Thats awesome, but I always feel bad about DT fans nagging at them about news all the time  :lol

I feel like we're going to get the best parts of 8vm/ADTOE, blended with the best parts of SFAM/SDOIT. Then hopefully something new and forward-thinking.
I really hope for something new and forward thinking over anything that is like parts from album x or y. With the exception of some keyboard tones (which imo were excellent) this was not apparent on adtoe.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6681 on: July 08, 2013, 10:36:46 AM »
TOMORROW :o
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6682 on: July 08, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »
 :hat
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6683 on: July 08, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »
Thats awesome, but I always feel bad about DT fans nagging at them about news all the time  :lol
Same :lol

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #6684 on: July 08, 2013, 10:53:25 AM »
There's always tomorrow, for Dreams to come true?  :lol

I'm very excited though. I might not sleep well for a couple of days after looking at the cover/track list. There will be too many ideas swirling in my head as to what it will sound like. As far as the orchestra, I would almost bank on it being in the song with the working title "Epic" simply because the two go hand in hand. I'd be surprised if it wasn't used for that song and that's the one I'm most looking forward to hearing.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.