Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848211 times)

Offline aprilethereal

Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #6615 on: July 07, 2013, 03:12:25 AM »
when I see 50 new replies in the new-studio-album thread, I'd like some actual discussion of the new studio album, and not banal, purposefully irrelevant comments like "I heard a Steven Wilson song the other day" and "hotels sometimes have expensive Internet".

Agreed 100%. This thread seems to become the "increase your post count" thread, which is definitely not what it's all about. If you want to tell the world about discovering Porcupine Tree, your holidays or random guitar covers, do it, but not here please.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6616 on: July 07, 2013, 03:21:04 AM »
I don't mind if we get snippets, but I am hoping we don't get a single until maybe a week or two before the albums released. I remember when they released OTBoA 2 and a half months before the album, I played the shit outta that song; listening to it at least twice, sometimes three times a day until ADToE came out. By the time I had the album, I skipped that song completely. I'd rather not do that this time. I don't want to have time to get sick of a song before the album is out.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #6617 on: July 07, 2013, 03:33:23 AM »
I don't mind if we get snippets, but I am hoping we don't get a single until maybe a week or two before the albums released. I remember when they released OTBoA 2 and a half months before the album, I played the shit outta that song; listening to it at least twice, sometimes three times a day until ADToE came out. By the time I had the album, I skipped that song completely. I'd rather not do that this time. I don't want to have time to get sick of a song before the album is out.
absolutely agree with this 100%. Although OTBoA is probably, as of now, one of my favorite tracks on adtoe, I completely burnt it into the ground before the album came out, and always ended up skipping it on the release of the album. To me that was essentially like shaving off 8 minutes of new material to listen to. And I never had an incentive to listen to it or to just let it play because the remainder of the album was far more fresh to my ears. Hence i'm not even paying attention to samples/singles this time round.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6618 on: July 07, 2013, 03:42:29 AM »

Again, this comes to your own doing, just like people who don't want snippets because they know they'll listen to them. Why should everyone have to wait to hear the new material?
Plus singles help raise awareness of a new album leading up to it with pre-orders, and general marketing. I don't think it would make sense to wait so long with a single.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6619 on: July 07, 2013, 03:51:53 AM »

Again, this comes to your own doing, just like people who don't want snippets because they know they'll listen to them. Why should everyone have to wait to hear the new material?
Plus singles help raise awareness of a new album leading up to it with pre-orders, and general marketing. I don't think it would make sense to wait so long with a single.
Don't get me wrong, Blob... I'm not gonna boycott if they give us a single next week, but I'd rather get snippets for a week or two, then maybe 2-3 weeks out release a single. 2 and a half months is a long time to have an 8+ minute tease available for repeated consumption.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6620 on: July 07, 2013, 04:29:05 AM »
Unfortunately, all songs release are always like a month to a month and 1/2 out from the release of the album. I wear them out and when it comes to the release of the albums, I skip over the single.  My fault, I just can't help myself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #6621 on: July 07, 2013, 04:39:33 AM »
Unfortunately, all songs release are always like a month to a month and 1/2 out from the release of the album. I wear them out and when it comes to the release of the albums, I skip over the single.  My fault, I just can't help myself.

To be fair I did this with OTBOA. Listened the hell out of it prior to release, can rarely listen to it on an ADTOE playthrough

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #6622 on: July 07, 2013, 05:29:46 AM »
absolutely agree with this 100%. Although OTBoA is probably, as of now, one of my favorite tracks on adtoe, I completely burnt it into the ground before the album came out, and always ended up skipping it on the release of the album. To me that was essentially like shaving off 8 minutes of new material to listen to. And I never had an incentive to listen to it or to just let it play because the remainder of the album was far more fresh to my ears. Hence i'm not even paying attention to samples/singles this time round.

I'd like to think that I could ignore any singles or snippets this time, but whenever I try to do that I get too tempted to listen and end up listening

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6623 on: July 07, 2013, 06:09:09 AM »
Maybe that's why I can't listen to AROP anymore. No wait, it's because that song sucks. Funny thing is I can listen to CM and OTBOA just fine. ADTOE to me is as fresh as when I first put it in.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline liran95

« Reply #6624 on: July 07, 2013, 07:54:48 AM »
Maybe that's why I can't listen to AROP anymore. No wait, it's because that song sucks. Funny thing is I can listen to CM and OTBOA just fine. ADTOE to me is as fresh as when I first put it in.

This. Except for the AROP thing. Surprisingly, I don't hate it.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #6625 on: July 07, 2013, 08:00:45 AM »
I like AROP. It has some really cool riffs, catchy chorus, great guitar solo...  :metal

Offline Fisi

« Reply #6626 on: July 07, 2013, 08:03:38 AM »
I like AROP. It has some really cool riffs, catchy chorus, great guitar solo...  :metal
And the Bebot solo! :metal

Offline liran95

« Reply #6627 on: July 07, 2013, 08:10:53 AM »

Actually, IMO, the Bebot solo kinda sucks ><

I think it's primarily becuase it's JR's first attempt on Apple device's music.
But now he's skilled and I have no complaints :)

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6628 on: July 07, 2013, 08:30:27 AM »
Some online music sites get it totally wrong with their samples.  I remember a sample of ITPOE2 where it was 30 seconds of the intro.  Not a good indicator of the rest of the song.  Plus, it's 30 seconds of a 16 minute song, and the whole song is not the same for 16 minutes. 

My excitement level for an album is based on whether or not I like the music in the samples. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #6629 on: July 07, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »

I agree.  If you don't want to listen to it.  Just don't listen to it.  Having said that, there was also a reason why that single was released so early... so that they could play it out on their European summer festivals leg of the tour.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6630 on: July 07, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »
Some online music sites get it totally wrong with their samples.  I remember a sample of ITPOE2 where it was 30 seconds of the intro.  Not a good indicator of the rest of the song.  Plus, it's 30 seconds of a 16 minute song, and the whole song is not the same for 16 minutes. 
I bet most, if not all, online stores always take the samples from the same part of the song and they're always as long - for example, on some site all the song samples may be 30 seconds long and always taken from 0:30-1:00.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6631 on: July 07, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »
Do you remember the samples that were leaked by that (japanese?) site a few weeks before ADTOE leaked? :D

IIRC they were taken from the middle part of the song, they featured the BMUBMD chorus.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #6632 on: July 07, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6633 on: July 07, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »

I don't like the bebot solo much, I also don't want JR experimental things like that on the New album.

Offline matte.braso

« Reply #6634 on: July 07, 2013, 09:22:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9wAstB0N9Q

The interesting thing in this video is not the song, clearly a user's creation, but the artwork he made (except the wrong font :P), cause the concept is something similar to other recent DT artworks. The general tonality is dark especially in the background, but the bubbles reveal white walls around the one shown in the picture, like the open door to a cloudless sky in BCSL...it's just an idea of someone from youtube, but it'd works on a DT album
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:51:11 AM by matte.braso »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6635 on: July 07, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
Does anyone know what song/band that actually is? I really like it. I prefer it to ADTOE in both songwriting and production. :lol

But I can't forgive them for using the wrong font.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6636 on: July 07, 2013, 09:26:53 AM »
Except the guitar. Sounds awful  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6637 on: July 07, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »
Took too much low end off it. Common complaint I have with most modern metal. Aside from that, not a bad mix though.

And isn't it a coincidence they never leak the part with vocals? :neverusethis:

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #6638 on: July 07, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »
Kinda reminds me of a song I'm working on (well, technically only the mix remains), except for the fact that mine is twice as long and sounds more real (instrument-wise, with real doumbek and stuff). I hope DT will use the phrygian dominant scale on this album as well as several earlier ones, it just suits metal so well.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:55:04 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6640 on: July 07, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
Is that YT vid an expansion on the MIDI file?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6641 on: July 07, 2013, 10:36:46 AM »
I love the 2nd comment on that. "This isn't DT. Myung is singing...."  :rollin

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6642 on: July 07, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
There could be a "John Myung vocal demos" bonus disc instead of an instrumental disc :D

Offline farsight

« Reply #6643 on: July 07, 2013, 01:05:09 PM »
I prefer it to ADTOE in both songwriting and production. :lol
Songwriting, maybe. Production? No way.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #6644 on: July 07, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
I prefer it to ADTOE in both songwriting and production. :lol
Songwriting, maybe. Production? No way.
Preferring either of them is laughable to me, but he's Blob.  :cool:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6645 on: July 07, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
Back to the pre-release leaking of audio, IMHO it doesn't even need to be actual parts from songs. What about just running around with a camera and show JM or JP practicing scales in the studio, or James warming up his voice in front of the microphone? That's the kind of stuff that makes the anticipation worthwhile.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6646 on: July 07, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
Back to the pre-release leaking of audio, IMHO it doesn't even need to be actual parts from songs. What about just running around with a camera and show JM or JP practicing scales in the studio, or James warming up his voice in front of the microphone? That's the kind of stuff that makes the anticipation worthwhile.

Things as simple as this are pretty effective actually. I'd appreciate seeing bits of random behind the scenes footage of the band. Even if someone ran over to JP screwing around on the guitar and he stops for a moment, looks at the camera and says "This note will be featured on DTs new album" as he then strikes the low E string once.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #6647 on: July 07, 2013, 01:37:50 PM »
Yeah, screw the single. Give us the 2nd episode of "DT in the studio" instead! :corn

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6648 on: July 07, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
Yeah, screw the single. Give us the 2nd episode of "DT in the studio" instead! :corn
+1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6649 on: July 07, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9wAstB0N9Q

Home. V2  :lol
My thoughts exactly. :lol It's not bad, but it's not very exciting either, and considering it's instrumental, nothing really happens.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.