Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848357 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #6580 on: July 06, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »
Dude, enjoy your trip. I live me some DT but dang, its summer!!

Also just because you may miss the initial reveal doesnt mean you need to cry!!

I meant cry in a good way if I find it lol

"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6581 on: July 06, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »
Heh, it's like "art?  tracklist? no.  (next page) art?  tracklist? no.  (next page)" etc.

I actually read all the posts. However, between next Monday and the Sunday after, I won't have any internet or ability to read the posts.

I just realized how much I won't be able to wait to get home after the trip. I'm going to run through my door, run up to my computer, turn it on, run back downstairs, eat a plum and or a nectarine, then run upstairs, and check the facebook accounts for DT and RR, then the twitter accounts for both, then the DT website, then here.

If there is a single released next week at the same time as the tracklist/album artwork (which would make sense) I'm probably going to cry. And listen to the song about a million times.
You check here last? I check here first. Mostly because the news will likely be caught by someone before me, so I come here and enjoy the dramatic turn of events/the great debate.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #6582 on: July 06, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »
Heh, it's like "art?  tracklist? no.  (next page) art?  tracklist? no.  (next page)" etc.

I actually read all the posts. However, between next Monday and the Sunday after, I won't have any internet or ability to read the posts.

I just realized how much I won't be able to wait to get home after the trip. I'm going to run through my door, run up to my computer, turn it on, run back downstairs, eat a plum and or a nectarine, then run upstairs, and check the facebook accounts for DT and RR, then the twitter accounts for both, then the DT website, then here.

If there is a single released next week at the same time as the tracklist/album artwork (which would make sense) I'm probably going to cry. And listen to the song about a million times.
You check here last? I check here first. Mostly because the news will likely be caught by someone before me, so I come here and enjoy the dramatic turn of events/the great debate.

Lucien, do you have a cell phone/smart phone that can use the Internet at all, even just with phone reception? If so, while you'd probably be unable to post anywhere, you'd probably be able to keep up with news updates on the album.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #6583 on: July 06, 2013, 01:38:58 PM »
I'm going to a hotel in Branson, Missouri. I do not know if said hotel has wifi, and I don't have a smartphone anyways. There is a possibility though, that my mother brings her laptop along. If the wifi is free, I should be able to post and see updates and stuff.

Otherwise, I'll just be really pent up with anticipation and I'll probably vent it all here when I get back.  ;D

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #6584 on: July 06, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
I'm going to a hotel in Branson, Missouri. I do not know if said hotel has wifi, and I don't have a smartphone anyways. There is a possibility though, that my mother brings her laptop along. If the wifi is free, I should be able to post and see updates and stuff.

Otherwise, I'll just be really pent up with anticipation and I'll probably vent it all here when I get back.  ;D

I've been to Branson once or twice. I would imagine pretty much any hotel there would probably have free wifi, considering how that town runs on tourism and such. If not, there's always restaurants such as McDonald's or Panera Bread that generally have free wifi too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #6585 on: July 06, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
I was at the Hyatt in San Francisco once, and they charged 10 bucks a night for internet.

10 BUCKS A NIGHT!

CROOKS!!
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #6586 on: July 06, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
Most hotels have free wifi or wifi available for a low cost, but if you don't have a smartphone/iphone/etc, I guess that doesn't matter much.

I'll be on a Mediterranean cruise for the next two weeks, so I'll be out of touch from announcements and such as well most likely... but I don't think I'll be stressing over it all that much.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline Lucien

« Reply #6587 on: July 06, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »
Oh, while I'm there I probably won't be even thinking about Dream Theater; there's just too much stuff that you can do in Branson (oh my God go-karts are still amazing even though I'm 17 years old).

Hopefully I'll be able to convince my mother that this Dream Theater CD (SFaM) will be the one she likes (to listen to on the way there)

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #6588 on: July 06, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »
Oh, while I'm there I probably won't be even thinking about Dream Theater; there's just too much stuff that you can do in Branson (oh my God go-karts are still amazing even though I'm 17 years old).

Totally understandable. My trip to Branson back in 2010 was absolutely terrific. I had a total blast at the Music Legends show there (or whatever it was called). Their Michael Jackson 'actor' was there on special occasion and was the highlight of the trip for me. You'll have a blast in Branson, man! :tup

Hopefully I'll be able to convince my mother that this Dream Theater CD (SFaM) will be the one she likes (to listen to on the way there)

Hopefully your mom is more willing to listen to prog rock/metal than mine is. :biggrin: :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6589 on: July 06, 2013, 02:55:42 PM »

Pssshhh.....I was just in Las Vegas for a whole week, drunk off my ass every night, it was a party fest. I still checked the internet every day for artwork/track names!  :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6590 on: July 06, 2013, 03:25:22 PM »
Guys, this isn't the chat thread. Seriously.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #6591 on: July 06, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »

We could just archive this thread and create a new one called Official DT12 Thread

Offline eosforum

« Reply #6592 on: July 06, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
This should propably be done once we get the artwork and tracklist. This thread is counting backwards :'(

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6593 on: July 06, 2013, 05:38:20 PM »

To be honest, I don't really see the big deal. This is a forum, right? And in this thread stuff gets discussed and sidetracked. I don't mean to be billigerent or a smart-ass, I just really wonder what the (objective) big deal is with threads going off-track. If anything, I think it showcases an active and vibrant community and one that should be embraced instead of toned down by 'watch out for the lock, this is going off the rails'-posts.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6594 on: July 06, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »

To be honest, I don't really see the big deal. This is a forum, right? And in this thread stuff gets discussed and sidetracked. I don't mean to be billigerent or a smart-ass, I just really wonder what the (objective) big deal is with threads going off-track. If anything, I think it showcases an active and vibrant community and one that should be embraced instead of toned down by 'watch out for the lock, this is going off the rails'-posts.

This.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6595 on: July 06, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »
Here's a can of worms: I have to say that in the MP days the lead-up time to a new album was more exciting, what with the studio videos etc.
Dunno, those Q&A videos leave me pretty cold.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #6596 on: July 06, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »

This.

+1

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6597 on: July 06, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »

This.

+1
+2. Who's it going to hurt if people get off topic? It's only natural that in lieu of new information a thread with this many people participating is going to get sidetracked. Who cares?

Here's a can of worms: I have to say that in the MP days the lead-up time to a new album was more exciting, what with the studio videos etc.
Yea, though the Q and A videos are a step up from when ADTOE was being made. Maybe they need to ease into that with Portnoy out.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #6598 on: July 06, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »

+2. Who's it going to hurt if people get off topic?

Sort of a silly argument.  None of the rules are actually in place to keep anybody from getting "hurt".  The rules are in place to keep the discussions good, interesting, tolerable, and positive.  There are other threads to discuss whatever happens to be on your mind, and I'm with the majority of DTF'ers, I think, when I say that when I see 50 new replies in the new-studio-album thread, I'd like some actual discussion of the new studio album, and not banal, purposefully irrelevant comments like "I heard a Steven Wilson song the other day" and "hotels sometimes have expensive Internet".

It's only natural that in lieu of new information a thread with this many people participating is going to get sidetracked. Who cares?

They should be "participating" in threads that are actually relevant to the comments they want to make.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #6599 on: July 06, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »
It doesn't INHERENTLY matter, and normally it wouldn't matter, it only matters because these are the rules that we all agreed to.  I know, I've broken some myself either on purpose (for a good reason) or accidentally.  And I got "smooshed" for it.

Anywho, I can't wait for the artwork, and hope it is simply the majesty logo and "Dream Theater" on it, in some sort of unique color scheme so we can call it it's own {color} Album, since the Black Album and the White Album are taken.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6600 on: July 06, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
Back from Spain - what did I miss?

Offline Lucien

« Reply #6601 on: July 06, 2013, 07:03:06 PM »
Back from Spain - what did I miss?

Not much: The album artwork and the tracklist should be released sometime next week.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6602 on: July 06, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »
That wasn't explicitly stated was it?  Just don't want anyone to get their hopes up and be disappointed if it didn't happen.  Although, I can't imagine that happening around here.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #6603 on: July 06, 2013, 07:15:50 PM »
That wasn't explicitly stated was it?
Yes, it was. Not that that's worth much, plans change, but next week was mooted, as a direct response to a very clear question, by a member of RoadRunner staff.

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #6604 on: July 06, 2013, 07:17:33 PM »
Meanwhile we wait for news, check out this amazing acoustic guitar cover of Spirit Carries on, with a touch of Southern Brazilian Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMshIfl31IM
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #6605 on: July 06, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »

This is a fair assessment of my feelings on the situation, as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6606 on: July 06, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »
I'm sorry but WTF is a Godspeed black emperor?

A band Tim you old metallhead. :lol

I do the same thing. :lol

And it's Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
TAC, they are a really amazing group, but knowing what I do of your tastes and preferences, let me save you some time and say they probably aren't your cup of tea.

But they are awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #6607 on: July 06, 2013, 11:21:16 PM »

When the album comes out, and you learn everything about it at once, it will be much more exciting than if MP spilled all the beans now.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6608 on: July 06, 2013, 11:28:17 PM »

When the album comes out, and you learn everything about it at once, it will be much more exciting than if MP spilled all the beans now.

Not the case for me at all. Personally, I enjoy the anticipation, and feeling part of a unique and special fanbase, and having things to discuss, instead of having people badger the record label and arguing over things we haven't even been told yet. I completely agree with rumby.

Ultimately it's the album that matters of course, not the lead up, but it used to be a lot more exciting.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #6609 on: July 07, 2013, 12:20:54 AM »
If I recall back a number of years, the release of SFAM was kept pretty quiet.  There really wasn't much information released prior to that album.  I remember hearing three short instrumental snippets, and that's about all I can pull out of the recesses of my brain.  In the end, a really good album was the reward for patiently waiting.

Sometimes less is more.

But, having said that, we now know that supposedly cover art and a track list will pop up next week.  So, there is that.

"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline gm5k

« Reply #6610 on: July 07, 2013, 01:29:32 AM »

This.  I hope we don't even get snips of the album like on ADTOE, even though I'd definitely listen to them dozens of times if they were released...   :facepalm:

Aside from that, wish we had more fun studio videos which didn't necessarily give any music info away (never know with DTF CSI Filter)  ;D

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:35:37 AM by gm5k »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6611 on: July 07, 2013, 01:34:12 AM »
If I recall back a number of years, the release of SFAM was kept pretty quiet.  There really wasn't much information released prior to that album.  I remember hearing three short instrumental snippets, and that's about all I can pull out of the recesses of my brain.  In the end, a really good album was the reward for patiently waiting.

Sometimes less is more.
Yeah, the amount of information you have prior to the release of an album won't affect the quality of the music. If anything, pre-release hype can make your expectations for the album too high and cause it to be a disappointment if those expectations aren't met. I've loved the updates DT have given us this time, but I was also accepting of the silence around the recording of ADTOE and the album ended up becoming one of my favorites.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6612 on: July 07, 2013, 01:37:16 AM »

This.  I hope we don't even get snips of the album like on ADTOE, even though I'd definitely listen to them dozens of times if they were released...   :facepalm:

Aside from that, wish we had more fun studio videos which didn't necessarily give any music info away (never know with DTF CSI Filter)  ;D

I've never understood this logic. There should be snippets, so that those who want to hear them can, and those that don't can simply not listen to them. Why should everyone have to miss out?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #6613 on: July 07, 2013, 01:40:54 AM »

I've never understood this logic. There should be snippets, so that those who want to hear them can, and those that don't can simply not listen to them. Why should everyone have to miss out?

You're right.  It's definitely a greedy sentiment on my part.  I don't want to hear them, but I can't help myself.  If I'm being impartial, I side with you on this one  :lol

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #6614 on: July 07, 2013, 02:03:55 AM »
The problem is that 90% of the time those who set out to not hear samples tend to listen to them anyway, because they simply can't resist even the smallest drop of than new sweet sweet DT goodness...
Hopefully that won't be me this time around.