Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848373 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #6510 on: July 05, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
lol it's funny how some people go nuts about information about the album. But ultimately, the album is going to be released on a certain date that is know to us. Is knowing the artwork and the track titles really going to change the musical content or the release date?
No, but it will change our opinions about the artwork and the track titles. Which are both interesting things - one of them is pretty much the first creative statement this album will make.

Besides - last time, the artwork was released at the same time as the first single, so... it might change the release date of the musical content, yeah!
:iagree:

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6511 on: July 05, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »
Back to the cover speculation - I think we need another album cover based on the color white. Something a lot brighter this time.

Although this is what I really think it'll be: Just the majesty symbol, but with a lot of great detail around it. Example: A majesty symbol made out of stone, with vines/roots coming out of it.
This would be sweet. Sorta like Whitesnake '87. Though honestly, I think the artwork has UNOFFICIALLY been revealed already. Purple majesty symbol on the DT FB page. We will find out sometime next week.
And in the red corner, I'm going to put £20 on "It definitely hasn't!"

They'd never announce it without hubbub; it's, frankly, a fairly low quality image; and "I've seen that one, too" isn't really how you'd emphasise that sentence if everyone else had also seen it. "We're revealing it next week" wouldn't make that much sense, either. I'm never certain, cos nothing's ever certain, but I'm... approaching certain. The difference between what I am, and certain, is negligible.
I"ll go with this too. I'm just speculating that the FB page Majesty logo could be it, hence the UNOFFICIAL... I don't know what it's gonna be anymore than anyone who's not Rich Chycki or a member of the band.

Next week, we should know. It's Friday, so next week is only a couple days away.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #6512 on: July 05, 2013, 12:41:07 PM »
lol it's funny how some people go nuts about information about the album. But ultimately, the album is going to be released on a certain date that is know to us. Is knowing the artwork and the track titles really going to change the musical content or the release date?
No, but it will change our opinions about the artwork and the track titles. Which are both interesting things - one of them is pretty much the first creative statement this album will make.
absolutely, although I meant it in the context of that entire paragraph: an uncertain announcement of an announcement is NOT going to change opinions about the album. But yes track titles and lengths aught to warrant speculation and some excitement.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #6513 on: July 05, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »
I personally don't think JP needs solo records. Everyone acknowledges at this point that he is the main writer and driving force of DT. There should be no reason why he can't do anything he wants with DT.
He does solo records, and writes solo material so he can participate in the G3 tours. I think that's a totally valid, and really cool reason.  :)
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6514 on: July 05, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »
Okay now let's have a page and a half of "seriously guys stop with the unwarranted hype" posts :biggrin:

Seriously though, imagine if the single, artwork and tracklist came out this very moment. You'd be satisfied now, but with two and a half months left to release date, that would be two and a half months of silence because there would be nothing more to build hype with except interviews, and only we read those. They can't possibly release new info every week when there's a three month gap between mastering the album and the release date!

Seriously, for most bands I listen to, it goes something like this: first they say "we'll probably have an album out this year", and it's often not the two-year schedule DT adheres to; then there's several months of total silence, then there's "we're in the studio and writing", then there's a couple months silence (maaaaaaybe a couple studio pics; certainly not Twitter feeds from 3/5 members and a producer, in-studio docus from which you can decipher a full MIDI line and lyrics!), then the artwork and the tracklist come, then one or more tracks from the album come a few weeks after.

I'd argue we're not in a bad situation though; firstly, it's not the entire fandom, just five or six people on one thread in the forum, and the wait for the DVD has worn us out anyway so we have a right to ramble about this every now and then :lol if nothing, the thread has become a half-parody of nerdy DT fans, but we parody ourselves because we have nothing better to do atm. It's not a COMPLETE farce.

/Milena retreats to Cave

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #6515 on: July 05, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »
To be honest, I forgot all about the DVD until you posted that, Milena! :lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #6516 on: July 05, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »
To be honest, I forgot all about the DVD until you posted that, Milena! :lol

OH GOD NOW I'M GETTING VIETNAM FLASHBACKS

But yeah, we're a very spoiled fanbase. We should learn to be a little less demanding about new information. :P

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6517 on: July 05, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
As always, I agree with everything that Rob and lady-Rob Milena have said.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6518 on: July 05, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
There's a DVD coming out, too?! :omg:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6519 on: July 05, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6520 on: July 05, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
Oh what's with you Riches praising my posts lately :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6521 on: July 05, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »
The next Rich to praise you could either be Chycki or Wilson, you choose :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6522 on: July 05, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
Or Richard Armitage *swoons*

2 cents on the cover art: when people said DT12 could be self-titled, I said "eh I don't think so", so I'm not sure how to feel about the probability of the cover being based on the purple Majesty image :lol

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #6523 on: July 05, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »
I'll try to squeeze some album info out of Jordan next week when I see him at NAMM

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6524 on: July 05, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »
Oh what's with you Riches praising my posts lately :rollin

:lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6525 on: July 05, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »
*a great post*
All of this. During the recording of the new album DT have used social media and given little updates much more actively than most bands I'm a fan of.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #6526 on: July 05, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
Concerning the "too much hype..", "it's embarassing.." kinda posts, I think it's completely ok that some of us are going nuts with the anticipation. Of course spamming RR's or OTE's social media accounts is all kinds of wrong (rude and too needy), but noone can tell us to not be as hyped as possible or to listen to other bands for a while etc. Your intentions are surely the best, but as you can't judge one's taste you also can't judge its broadness. Some of us enjoy DT"s music incomparably more to that of other artists. That may seem kind of sad, but hey, this is the Dream Theater Forum! I for one check out this forum frequently and thoroughly just because of the little extra bits of info regarding DT news that can only be found here. Also stuff like the midi transcription or pics of lyrics and all that, I don't know, it's like Christmas for me when I see such stuff posted.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #6527 on: July 05, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »
I would be very pleased if the purple Majesty logo became the album cover. Bold, simple, and understated (in contrast to many other DT covers).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6528 on: July 05, 2013, 06:25:15 PM »
I would be very pleased if the purple Majesty logo became the album cover. Bold, simple, and understated (in contrast to many other DT covers).

Plus I wouldn't have to change the wallpaper on my phone.  :biggrin:

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #6529 on: July 05, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, the cover could be a four year old's stick figure drawing with Dream Theater written in crayon on the front.  As long as the music inside is good, I'll be a happy guy.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6530 on: July 05, 2013, 09:05:16 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, the cover could be a four year old's stick figure drawing with Dream Theater written in crayon on the front.  As long as the music inside is good, I'll be a happy guy.

plus the correct font
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #6531 on: July 05, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »

plus the correct font

Hmmm, you know, the DT font in Crayon might be an interesting look...
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6532 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »

:tup  I think it's just right for a S/T album.  Logo and font.  Done.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6533 on: July 05, 2013, 10:30:11 PM »
Concerning the "too much hype..", "it's embarassing.." kinda posts, I think it's completely ok that some of us are going nuts with the anticipation. Of course spamming RR's or OTE's social media accounts is all kinds of wrong (rude and too needy), but noone can tell us to not be as hyped as possible or to listen to other bands for a while etc. Your intentions are surely the best, but as you can't judge one's taste you also can't judge its broadness. Some of us enjoy DT"s music incomparably more to that of other artists. That may seem kind of sad, but hey, this is the Dream Theater Forum! I for one check out this forum frequently and thoroughly just because of the little extra bits of info regarding DT news that can only be found here. Also stuff like the midi transcription or pics of lyrics and all that, I don't know, it's like Christmas for me when I see such stuff posted.
:tup Exactly this.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #6534 on: July 06, 2013, 04:00:51 AM »
I agree with all of this. I will say that I only meant to suggest checking out other bands, although my execution was a bit douchy lol. Maybe i'm just jealous I don't have that level of excitement alot of people have for this upcoming record, which I have had for the last couple of releases. Honestly the best part of being a DT fan is the impending release of musical awesomeness by the band, and it's clear why the excitement is hard to contain.

anyway. I'm thinking the cover will simply be the logo. Drop the "dream theater"... it's cooler...

Offline liran95

« Reply #6535 on: July 06, 2013, 04:09:12 AM »
anyway. I'm thinking the cover will simply be the logo. Drop the "dream theater"... it's cooler...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6536 on: July 06, 2013, 04:16:42 AM »
I agree with all of this. I will say that I only meant to suggest checking out other bands, although my execution was a bit douchy lol. Maybe i'm just jealous I don't have that level of excitement alot of people have for this upcoming record, which I have had for the last couple of releases. Honestly the best part of being a DT fan is the impending release of musical awesomeness by the band, and it's clear why the excitement is hard to contain.

They may as well put a sticker on the front that says "contains 100% prog pretentiousness!" Leaving a band name off an album cover is a horrible idea. It's already bad enough they'll be leaving the album name off it. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6537 on: July 06, 2013, 04:19:49 AM »
Yeah, I believe that leaving off the band name could somewhat backfire economically, as the album wouldn't jump to the eye of the average distracted casual fan when going through the selves of a record store.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6538 on: July 06, 2013, 04:25:50 AM »
I agree. I think DT is big enough that it would be a vitally bad marketing decision. It's like a DVD case that doesn't have the name of the movie on it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6539 on: July 06, 2013, 04:47:55 AM »
I love that everybody on DTF's panties are in a bind.  I am as anxious as anybody here but to read some people's post makes me feel sane. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #6540 on: July 06, 2013, 04:55:12 AM »
They may as well put a sticker on the front that says "contains 100% prog pretentiousness!" Leaving a band name off an album cover is a horrible idea. It's already bad enough they'll be leaving the album name off it. :neverusethis:
I disagree, as I think that it would be the opposite of pretension given they have been around 20+ years, and also think that it would in fact be intriguing/eye catching to the guy in the music store. Heck, they've already gone ahead with the self titled thing, I can totally see them doing something like having only the logo on the cover. If they're gonna make a statement they might as well go all out on it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6541 on: July 06, 2013, 04:57:10 AM »
I love that everybody on DTF's panties are in a bind.  I am as anxious as anybody here but to read some people's post makes me feel sane. :lol
Yeah, I mean, I am extremely excited about info for the new release, but some of the posts here sound like my youngest daughter when we're on vacation.

If any of you are 10-year old girls, I of course mean no disrespect.

j/k
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6542 on: July 06, 2013, 04:58:41 AM »
 :lol

It's like a caddy girl fight here hef. Everybody defends something.  I'll wait until the album is out and then I'll gush like a teenage girl. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #6543 on: July 06, 2013, 05:02:31 AM »
I'll wait until the album is out and then I'll gush like a teenage girl.
:tup * 9001

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6544 on: July 06, 2013, 05:04:05 AM »
I would imagine that many of the people we are discussing are much younger than us, or relatively recent DT converts, or both.

I've been a huge fan since I&W, and now I'm married with two kids.  I've got too much going on in my life to act like a new album is Christmas, even an album from my favorite band.  It's all about perspective.

Now give us some damn info.

Of course, our real work as mods won't kick into high gear until the album leaks, a month or so the release date.  That's when we have to start kicking ass.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.