Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848535 times)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #6475 on: July 05, 2013, 07:38:42 AM »
yeah i'd also agree that it is certainly not a double album. Roadrunner Records ain't got time fo dat (additional operating expenses for producing/purchasing double CD containers (at the very least to cater for 2 cds: design innovations would likely induce more costs), the risk that the investment in said packaging doesn't sell, and that "double album" doesn't mean as much now that we are in a  predominately digital age. this is merely from a sales perspective. From a musical perspective, i'd be worried if there were 2 cds worth of music (i.e. 100 mins+ music) given the amount of time they spent writing/recording and mixing.
One is fun  :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6476 on: July 05, 2013, 07:43:44 AM »
And if it was a double album, it would probably already have been announced at the same time they announced the title and release date.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #6477 on: July 05, 2013, 08:48:59 AM »
Well, at least the double-album rumors have been killed.
Looks like you were too optimistic.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #6478 on: July 05, 2013, 09:09:59 AM »
I wonder if this album will suffer any because of Jordan's and James's solo projects. And isnt JP supposed to have one too? I hope that doesn't distract from Dream Theater.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6479 on: July 05, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »
I wonder if this album will suffer any because of Jordan's and James's solo projects. And isnt JP supposed to have one too? I hope that doesn't distract from Dream Theater.
I'll be disappointed if Jordan's solo project is more interesting than his contributions to DT, but so far that has never been the case :P

James doesn't do any writing for his "solo" project except for some lyrics. He was in the studio with the guys this time around so I'm sure he was involved. 

Who knows what John has in mind for his solo project. Beneath the Surface was origianlly going to be a JP solo thing but he decided to throw it on DT. I personally don't think JP needs solo records. Everyone acknowledges at this point that he is the main writer and driving force of DT. There should be no reason why he can't do anything he wants with DT.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #6480 on: July 05, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »

I doubt it.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6481 on: July 05, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »
Almost unthinkable.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6482 on: July 05, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »

:huh: I've never stated anywhere that I was expecting a double-album, I just noticed that others have.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #6483 on: July 05, 2013, 10:18:56 AM »
Almost unthinkable.

Agreed. DT solo and side projects usually have their unique flavors and styles. Doing something outside the usual context is not only a rewarding thing to do but it also leads to an inspirational feedback loop from project to project that should work in favour of both the main and the solo/side project's diversity and quality. Obviously this can also be exaggerated beyond a certain point where it can only lead to burnout and exhaustion. You may ask MP about that problem.  ;)

Greetings...
Nef

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #6484 on: July 05, 2013, 10:24:17 AM »

:huh: I've never stated anywhere that I was expecting a double-album, I just noticed that others have.
What I meant is you were too optimistic in thinking that the rumors had been killed. Guess that I have been misunderstood.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #6485 on: July 05, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
I'll be disappointed if Jordan's solo project is more interesting than his contributions to DT, but so far that has never been the case :P

James doesn't do any writing for his "solo" project except for some lyrics. He was in the studio with the guys this time around so I'm sure he was involved. 

Who knows what John has in mind for his solo project. Beneath the Surface was origianlly going to be a JP solo thing but he decided to throw it on DT. I personally don't think JP needs solo records. Everyone acknowledges at this point that he is the main writer and driving force of DT. There should be no reason why he can't do anything he wants with DT.

Well no, he does come up with riffs and melodies (not just vocal) and also changes Guillory's  ideas and work on the arrangement of the songs. Sure Matt does writes most of the stuff, but JLB does a lot as well. At least that's what both of them have said to various interviews.

Also on a general note, none of DT's members has ever payed more attention to a solo project than to DT. JP is the perfect example. He has had so many opportunities to release a second record and never does it because there is always something going on with DT. Even now that he has written some new songs for G3 (and as he said there are more) he is committed to DT.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #6486 on: July 05, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
So according to @rrusa, the album cover will be here next week!!

Offline Lucien

« Reply #6487 on: July 05, 2013, 10:41:47 AM »

And tracklist.

By next week please mean sunday or monday lol

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6488 on: July 05, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
Where is this information?? I don't see it on Twitter or FB.  ???
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #6489 on: July 05, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
Their latest post on twitter (about a band signed to RR with a new album) and theres loads of replies to which theyve tweeted "how does next week sound for you?"  :metal

Offline Lucien

« Reply #6490 on: July 05, 2013, 11:05:01 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6491 on: July 05, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »
:panicattack:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #6492 on: July 05, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
:panicattack: :panicattack: :panicattack: :panicattack: :panicattack: :panicattack: :panicattack: :panicattack: :panicattack: :panicattack:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #6493 on: July 05, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
:partyinpartyinyeah:

Offline Lucien

« Reply #6494 on: July 05, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
Finally some confirmation for SOMETHING.

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #6495 on: July 05, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »
This is worse than being a kid at Christmas.....lol.  ;D

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #6496 on: July 05, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »
Christmas comes every year. Dream Theater albums are somewhat more rare.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6497 on: July 05, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6498 on: July 05, 2013, 11:26:23 AM »

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6499 on: July 05, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #6500 on: July 05, 2013, 11:35:27 AM »

You call that a confirmation? It's a question! :P

And about those last few pages:
As much as I like making a big fuzz about nothing I think this "omg, omg, I need info, hype hype" is getting really old really fast. I mean really! It should be safe to assume there'll be bits and pieces of information and previews that will be made available between now and release. And if there actually is something new I'll be among those jumping at that poor little bit of news like a kitten on speed trampolining a half dead mouse again and again until it's goo. Damn, no emoticon for that ;D! But posting an exaggerated craving for updates which will be revealed anyway... I could do without that.

Yep, I'm looking forward to it and yep, I'm curious. But I don't need a fix every few minutes.
We've got a forum of speculations for that fix, don't we?

Greetings...
Nef

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6501 on: July 05, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
Agreed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6502 on: July 05, 2013, 11:57:57 AM »
Doubly agreed.

This thread is an embarassment to DT fandom, in my opinion. We were always known for being really loyal, passionate fans. Not brattish junkies who NEED to know NOW :P

This whole thread is remining me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6503 on: July 05, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »
Back to the cover speculation - I think we need another album cover based on the color white. Something a lot brighter this time.

Although this is what I really think it'll be: Just the majesty symbol, but with a lot of great detail around it. Example: A majesty symbol made out of stone, with vines/roots coming out of it.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6504 on: July 05, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
Back to the cover speculation - I think we need another album cover based on the color white. Something a lot brighter this time.

Although this is what I really think it'll be: Just the majesty symbol, but with a lot of great detail around it. Example: A majesty symbol made out of stone, with vines/roots coming out of it.
This would be sweet. Sorta like Whitesnake '87. Though honestly, I think the artwork has UNOFFICIALLY been revealed already. Purple majesty symbol on the DT FB page. We will find out sometime next week.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6505 on: July 05, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »
I'm sure it has been discussed within the thread, but I am not brave enough to dig through every page to find out:

Do you think there will be an epic (for the sake of this discussion, epic = 15+ minute song) on DT12?

I believe there will be, as it has been said multiple times how this record is an embodiment of Dream Theater, and DT is known for their epic, lengthy songs.

I also believe that the Evening With concerts provide more evidence, as a lengthier concert means a reasonable amount of time to throw in a loooooong song or two (could just be 8VM or ACOS, or neither!).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #6506 on: July 05, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »

This would be sweet. Sorta like Whitesnake '87. Though honestly, I think the artwork has UNOFFICIALLY been revealed already. Purple majesty symbol on the DT FB page. We will find out sometime next week.
And in the red corner, I'm going to put £20 on "It definitely hasn't!"

They'd never announce it without hubbub; it's, frankly, a fairly low quality image; and "I've seen that one, too" isn't really how you'd emphasise that sentence if everyone else had also seen it. "We're revealing it next week" wouldn't make that much sense, either. I'm never certain, cos nothing's ever certain, but I'm... approaching certain. The difference between what I am, and certain, is negligible.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6507 on: July 05, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »
The difference between what I am, and certain, is negligible.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #6508 on: July 05, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »
lol it's funny how some people go nuts about information about the album. But ultimately, the album is going to be released on a certain date that is know to us. Is knowing the artwork and the track titles really going to change the musical content or the release date? or more so in the case of the last couple of pages: is a partially/wholly indecipherable/inconclusive announcement of an announcement really going to make the album come any faster, or even worthy of extensive speculation?

I know it's fun to speculate, and it's exciting times for Dream Theater, but calm yourself! take a deep breath, and have some patience! it's exciting times to be a DT fan, but remember: there are other bands that aren't Dream Theater and Hakan. Do something more constructive than hankering at the DT/RR PR crew about album info. Do some musical exploration in the mean time! there are so many cool artists out there releasing EPs and LPs that you could be checking out rather than spamming <java: while x < 9000 { image.::excitedwailingarmsofhype::.gif x++} AND position = clocktimer etc etc etc. //html>>

The difference between what I am, and certain, is negligible.

haha yes this!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #6509 on: July 05, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
lol it's funny how some people go nuts about information about the album. But ultimately, the album is going to be released on a certain date that is know to us. Is knowing the artwork and the track titles really going to change the musical content or the release date?
No, but it will change our opinions about the artwork and the track titles. Which are both interesting things - one of them is pretty much the first creative statement this album will make.

Besides - last time, the artwork was released at the same time as the first single, so... it might change the release date of the musical content, yeah!