Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848366 times)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #5845 on: June 27, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »
This wait is killing me. I didn't know how to kill the time, so I went for a killer whale.

https://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/5//3970/3970473_sprite198.swf

I hope it will be useful, I actually think it's killer.

...and yes, next album will kill.

This is the coolest thing i've ever seen on the internets.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5846 on: June 27, 2013, 11:51:41 AM »
JLB could easily do all of the vocals in the first verse of The Glass Prison.  They would sound hurried, given the furious nature of the song, but if he can do the pre-chorus part of The Dark Eternal Night all by himself, he can do the first verse of The Glass Prison.  And the shouting vocals later in the song ("Run!") could easily either be omitted or done by JP.  Shouting a word or two isn't exactly difficult. :lol

Yeah but later on when it's back and forth between MP and JLB (example when labrie says: BELIEVE) wouldn't be so easy

They're already been incorporating pre-recorded backup vocals on the last tour, so I don't see why they can't use MP's parts, or have JLB pre-record MP's parts, and then sing his own parts live.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #5847 on: June 27, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »
Could someone explain to me exactly what "An Evening With" means?

It's DT's nice way of saying "prepare your anus, we're going in dry."

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5848 on: June 27, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »
JLB could easily do all of the vocals in the first verse of The Glass Prison.  They would sound hurried, given the furious nature of the song, but if he can do the pre-chorus part of The Dark Eternal Night all by himself, he can do the first verse of The Glass Prison.  And the shouting vocals later in the song ("Run!") could easily either be omitted or done by JP.  Shouting a word or two isn't exactly difficult. :lol

Yeah but later on when it's back and forth between MP and JLB (example when labrie says: BELIEVE) wouldn't be so easy

They're already been incorporating pre-recorded backup vocals on the last tour, so I don't see why they can't use MP's parts, or have JLB pre-record MP's parts, and then sing his own parts live.

Or just dumb that part down to exclude certain vocal parts.  That gets done fairly often, by many bands, so it wouldn't be an issue.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5849 on: June 27, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »

via Imgflip Meme Maker
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #5850 on: June 27, 2013, 12:15:34 PM »
 :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5851 on: June 27, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
 :zydarscouch:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5852 on: June 27, 2013, 12:16:57 PM »
When i said about no more TGP I didn't mean that they would never play a song with MP vox in it, there is just too much in it to pull it off IMO
Huh?  ??? 4 of the 5 current members WROTE the song and Mangini is MORE than capable of learning that song. Actually I'd love to hear him drum TGP because in all the live versions I've seen online MP takes some 'breaks' on the bass drum parts here and there. Hey, he wrote the song and that was his prerogative...but he didn't play the 'studio' version of the drums on a lot of the recordings out there.
  I think Mangini would nail that song note for note and sound killer doing so. To me it's silly to think they couldn't pull that song off.

Of course they can play it, I'm talking about MP's vocals!

Oh, OK. My bad. I interpreted it as 'they couldn't play the song'
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5853 on: June 27, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »
Or just dumb that part down to exclude certain vocal parts.  That gets done fairly often, by many bands, so it wouldn't be an issue.

That's true too. I've actually sung the verses to TSF by myself, and it works just fine.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #5854 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »
DT can do the backing vocal tracks now that they have Mangini (cause he obviously plays to a click track). MP didn't play to a click track (which is obvious cause he was always speeding things up faster than they're supposed to be, EXAMPLE: Intro to TGP), so they couldn't have backing tracks because they wouldn't match up properly.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5855 on: June 27, 2013, 12:39:27 PM »
DT can do the backing vocal tracks now that they have Mangini (cause he obviously plays to a click track). MP didn't play to a click track (which is obvious cause he was always speeding things up faster than they're supposed to be, EXAMPLE: Intro to TGP), so they couldn't have backing tracks because they wouldn't match up properly.

I wonder if that's why they never play TDoT in full
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

• EB
« Reply #5856 on: June 27, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
I guess I shouldn't say "faster than they're supposed to be", cause that kinda sounds like an attack on MP, but faster than they were on the album.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline Lucien

« Reply #5857 on: June 27, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »
I guess I shouldn't say "faster than they're supposed to be", cause that kinda sounds like an attack on MP, but faster than they were on the album.

In the Budokan Instrumedley, the first part of the Dance of Eternity is definitely faster than normal

• EB
« Reply #5858 on: June 27, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
Yeah, and that wasn't ever really THAT much of a problem, except in songs like TDEN and TGP where poor JP has to play a solo that's already ridiculously hard to begin with, like 30% faster.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #5859 on: June 27, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5860 on: June 27, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »

via Imgflip Meme Maker

:rollin

• EB
« Reply #5861 on: June 27, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
Lonestar, dude.. every time you make a post, it makes me miss your old avatar. You know, the one of the stick dude humping the air.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5862 on: June 27, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »

#Lawsuit

Offline Lucien

« Reply #5863 on: June 27, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »

#Lawsuit

???

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5864 on: June 27, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »

#Lawsuit

???

I'm not sure of forum rules of what classes as bashing MP (which i would never do) but it was a joke that MP could use this as an excuse to start a new lawsuit ala: MP/DT split

Offline Lucien

« Reply #5865 on: June 27, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Oh  :lol :lol

Offline Nest777

« Reply #5866 on: June 27, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »
Listening down to final DT mixes in sequence. Sounds fucking awesome Rich!! https://fb.me/2PAQimCyU

:metal :metal :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5867 on: June 27, 2013, 03:02:14 PM »
Lonestar, dude.. every time you make a post, it makes me miss your old avatar. You know, the one of the stick dude humping the air.

Ahh, you mean ole Thrusty. Yeah, he was a good one, but once I put this one up, Bosk forbid me to ever change it again. Sorry man.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5868 on: June 27, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »
I need this album now.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5869 on: June 27, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
Someone use the CSI filter on that piece of paper.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5870 on: June 27, 2013, 03:08:43 PM »
Listening down to final DT mixes in sequence. Sounds fucking awesome Rich!! https://fb.me/2PAQimCyU

:metal :metal :metal

:omg: JP swore !  :omg:

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #5871 on: June 27, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
I need this album now.

From that picture it looks like it is going to be 9 songs on the album.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5872 on: June 27, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »
Someone use the CSI filter on that piece of paper.

I would literally die laughing if we did that, and on the paper it said something like "go fuck yourselves DTF nerds."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5873 on: June 27, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
I see blue waveforms on the screen. Guys, do your job.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5874 on: June 27, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
In all seriousness though, do we think the album could be in the can by the start of next week?

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #5875 on: June 27, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
If he claims that it sounds awesome I'm gonna be so disappointed if Myung is buried again. A good mix needs enough bass! *Fingers crossed*
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5876 on: June 27, 2013, 03:24:13 PM »
Send it off to mastering and brickwall that motha!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline johncal

« Reply #5877 on: June 27, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »
I need this album now.

From that picture it looks like it is going to be 9 songs on the album.

...or 9 tracks on the song

Offline gm5k

« Reply #5878 on: June 27, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »

Of course.  They must have used the old school 3 mic technique for Mangini's kit  :biggrin:

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5879 on: June 27, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »

Of course.  They must have used the old school 3 mic technique for Mangini's kit  :biggrin:

All or most of the drums could have been put onto one track by this point, since mixing is almost done. Assuming they actually do that. I'll learn the actual answer in college. :biggrin: