Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848666 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #5775 on: June 26, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
JLB death growl!!!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5776 on: June 26, 2013, 08:53:56 PM »
They could do that section with the original vocal melody and lyrics JP had intended. However, I think the best option would be to just play Beautiful Agony and forget about the rest of the song :P

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
« Reply #5777 on: June 26, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »
How about a John Myung death growl? :biggrin:

...no? No one else thinks this is gonna happen?

...but in all seriousness I would love to see ANTR come back in one form or another because I do like it quite a bit, cookie monster vocals or not :heart

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #5778 on: June 26, 2013, 08:56:54 PM »
I actually like Mike's part in ANTR. Sure it's silly, but it's fun.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5779 on: June 26, 2013, 09:05:34 PM »
Ya know what's overdue? Them doing a Rotterdam-type section on a regular basis.  I am talking like 4-5 mellow-ish songs in a row while the band is all at the front of the stage.  Stick that in the middle of the second set, and fans will eat it up.

Anna Lee, Wither, Beneath The Surface, Hollow Years and Disappear

I could fap to that.

Dude, you could probably fap to anything!

;D

Yeah, so?

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #5780 on: June 26, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
I thought I read or heard somewhere that they used pre-recorded vocals for  Mike's parts in ANTR this last tour. Can someone call bullshit on that for me? Did JP sing? ???
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #5781 on: June 26, 2013, 09:19:13 PM »
I thought I read or heard somewhere that they used pre-recorded vocals for  Mike's parts in ANTR this last tour. Can someone call bullshit on that for me? Did JP sing? ???

They didn't play ANTR since 2010.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #5782 on: June 26, 2013, 09:19:43 PM »
They haven played ANTR live since Mike left the band

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5783 on: June 26, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »
They haven't stopped by St. Lous since the balcony accident?  :eek
Yep. I think that was it. I'm usually road tripping to Kansas City or Chicago. Did a Milwaukee / Chicago trip for Progressive Nation, the BC&SL tour. I would think St. Louis could support them and we have a couple venues that are similar to the others they play...just waiting for a promoter to get them here.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #5784 on: June 26, 2013, 09:24:05 PM »

The thing that they did do for the first time on this tour was use sampled tracks for some of the backing vocals, but it's just a misconception/half-joke that any of them were MP. JP sang almost all of the backing vocals, except a few which just came from nowhere (the sampled ones). However, if you look closely, most of what JP was singing he was just singing along or lip-syncing to a track anyway  :-\ (best examples being WIMH and TDEN)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5785 on: June 26, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
I wondering if they'll ever come back to Minnesota after the last show in 2012. According to the box office numbers someone posted on MP's site in the DT thread, there were 1000 empty seats, but still got a nice profit. But maybe Evening With will draw people back.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5786 on: June 26, 2013, 09:27:56 PM »
They could do that section with the original vocal melody and lyrics JP had intended. However, I think the best option would be to just play Beautiful Agony and forget about the rest of the song :P

No. That's a terrible idea.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #5787 on: June 26, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »

The thing that they did do for the first time on this tour was use sampled tracks for some of the backing vocals, but it's just a misconception/half-joke that any of them were MP. JP sang almost all of the backing vocals, except a few which just came from nowhere (the sampled ones). However, if you look closely, most of what JP was singing he was just singing along or lip-syncing to a track anyway  :-\ (best examples being WIMH and TDEN)
Ok, so I'm not completely insane. I haven't seen them live since the Chaos in Motion tour, so I've never seen them do ANTR. I was using that as an example, really. I was looking for confirmation that there were in fact pre recorded backing tracks.  :biggrin:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5788 on: June 26, 2013, 09:44:23 PM »

It was a bit of a joke, because I know DT would play the full thing and I do like the song, but after the mellow part it goes downhill.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5789 on: June 26, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »

It was a bit of a joke, because I know DT would play the full thing and I do like the song, but after the mellow part it goes downhill.

I know, I was just being a jerk. It's what I do. Sorry. :lol

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #5790 on: June 26, 2013, 09:46:22 PM »

haha yes. I hope they never ever ever play a cut version of any song again. a quick pace medley of MANY songs like the Instrumedly is acceptable, but not ideal.

It's like-

Cutting Take The Time = giving your mother the middle finger after she's made you a steak dinner

Cutting Voices = Pissing on the bible after spending 6 hours in church

Schmedly Wilcox = Going to Disneyland for $80 and not buying a frozen chocolate covered banana.

Cutting Metropolis = John Petrucci calls you on the phone, tells you he wants to come over and jam with you tomorrow and he'll bring some Pita Pit to snack on, says James and Mike want to come too if it's not too much of a hassle, knocks on your door the next day, you open the door, you say hi, he walks away, Charlie Dominici comes out of nowhere and pisses on you, walks away while still pissing, accidentally gets some piss on John Petrucci, and John Petrucci murders Dominici in front of you by stepping on him like an ant, and then you wake up and realize it was just a dream anyway.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #5791 on: June 26, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »

haha yes. I hope they never ever ever play a cut version of any song again. a quick pace medley of MANY songs like the Instrumedly is acceptable, but not ideal.

It's like-

Cutting Take The Time = giving your mother the middle finger after she's made you a steak dinner

Cutting Voices = Pissing on the bible after spending 6 hours in church

Schmedly Wilcox = Going to Disneyland for $80 and not buying a frozen chocolate covered banana.

Cutting Metropolis = John Petrucci calls you on the phone, tells you he wants to come over and jam with you tomorrow and he'll bring some Pita Pit to snack on, says James and Mike want to come too if it's not too much of a hassle, knocks on your door the next day, you open the door, you say hi, he walks away, Charlie Dominici comes out of nowhere and pisses on you, walks away while still pissing, accidentally gets some piss on John Petrucci, and John Petrucci murders Dominici in front of you by stepping on him like an ant, and then you wake up and realize it was just a dream anyway.
:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5792 on: June 26, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #5793 on: June 26, 2013, 11:17:41 PM »
If I did drugs.... I think it would feel like this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5794 on: June 26, 2013, 11:46:29 PM »
They haven't stopped by St. Lous since the balcony accident?  :eek
Yep. I think that was it. I'm usually road tripping to Kansas City or Chicago. Did a Milwaukee / Chicago trip for Progressive Nation, the BC&SL tour. I would think St. Louis could support them and we have a couple venues that are similar to the others they play...just waiting for a promoter to get them here.

The Pageant was packed when they did that show here back in '04, so the only reason I can think of, to explain why they haven't been back, is that the promoter there now doesn't think they will draw. 

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #5795 on: June 26, 2013, 11:58:16 PM »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5796 on: June 27, 2013, 12:05:58 AM »
How about a John Myung death growl? :biggrin:

Watch that will be the loudest of them all!  :lol
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5797 on: June 27, 2013, 12:06:16 AM »
Cutting Voices = Having sex right there on someone's crucifix
FTFY

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5798 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:33 AM »
Cutting Voices = Shitting right here on someone's crucifix
FTFY

Fixed :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5799 on: June 27, 2013, 12:12:27 AM »
"Shit is right here on my crucifix" :metalol:

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #5800 on: June 27, 2013, 12:24:09 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol Haha You guys rock

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
« Reply #5801 on: June 27, 2013, 12:24:47 AM »

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #5802 on: June 27, 2013, 01:52:12 AM »
Good morning, just wanted to say hi! Been lurking this post since somewhere before page 100 and you people are just my kind of weird. At least weird enough for me to want to register. Thanks for all the laughs during the last few days at work reading through this beautiful mess. :tup

I've just added my info to the DTF Official Profile Thread.

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:04:29 AM by Nefarius »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5803 on: June 27, 2013, 01:53:30 AM »
Welcome Nef! If you thought this was crazy, you should see the days before the tour starts and when the album itself actually comes out. We'll find connections that even the band would never have thought  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5804 on: June 27, 2013, 01:57:40 AM »
Good morning, just wanted to say hi! Been lurking this post since somewhere before page 100 and you people are just my kind of weird. At least weird enough for me to want to register. Thanks for all the laughs during the last few days at work reading through this beautiful mess. :tup

Greetings...
Nef

If you've been following this thread since page 100, and still wanted to sign up, then I think you'll fit in just fine. :lol Welcome!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5805 on: June 27, 2013, 02:13:51 AM »
If you've been following this thread since page 100, and still wanted to sign up, then I think you'll fit in just fine. :lol Welcome!

haha :D
But well, Blob is absolutely right

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #5806 on: June 27, 2013, 02:32:21 AM »
...you should see the days before the tour starts and when the album itself actually comes out...

Thanks! I guess I'll live through that soon enough. I really like rare and shiny things the special editions of BCSL and ADTOE, so I'm looking forward to the deluxe box set preorder for DT12. And I've already (over-)analyzed the tour dates: I'll see them in Vienna (5th time DT@Gasometer for me) on the 25th of January which is the 9th concert in support of the new album. So the tour will still be kinda fresh and exciting but they will have had enough time to get back into tour life and the sets. And the 24th is both a day off and JM's birthday, so they should be reasonably well rested and energized.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5807 on: June 27, 2013, 03:05:01 AM »
Hi Nef, welcome to the madness!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline liran95

« Reply #5808 on: June 27, 2013, 03:09:47 AM »

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #5809 on: June 27, 2013, 03:11:53 AM »
I've only been on here for a couple of weeks, and I can already tell that all the people on here are slightly insane. Anyway, welcome Nef  :coolio