Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848465 times)

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #5705 on: June 25, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »

"We're mixing it as we speak. It's all very, very exciting. One of the cool things about Dream Theater is, we don't slow down, and I don't mean just work-wise. You see some of these groups that have been around, and sometimes they drift away from their core fundamental styles. They get a little tired or their chops get tired.

"With our group, that isn't the case. I don't know how everybody does it, but we all stay energized, excited, focused. We practice, and we're into it. I really see us as being more vital than ever before. I'm listening to the new record, and it's giving me chills. It's that great! And I have to say that sonically we've never sounded better."

"That's right. And you can tell. He's totally dialed in. People will be smiling when they hear this. There's so much Mangini on this album. [Laughs] To me, in a lot of ways, this is his album, because he's now a total member of this group – the shining star."

"We really feel as though we got to this level where the music is what we truly are. Even though we've had a long career, and some of the albums are really, really good, at this place in time we felt like this record is so representative of what we want Dream Theater to be and who each of us is, both as individuals and collectively. We felt like we could honestly say, 'This is Dream Theater.' That's what it's about. We wanted to make a strong statement, and we felt proud enough and secure enough to announce to the world, if you will, 'This is what it is. This is who we are.'"

This really gets me excited, all of it.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline TL

« Reply #5706 on: June 25, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »
I'm 100% sure there WILL be a single - even if DT didn't want to release one, Roadrunner would demand it.

What if the band doesn't feel any of the songs are "single worthy", like maybe outside the context of the album, the song isn't as strong?

Well, I HOPE the band didn't write a song just for the express purpose of it being a single. Instead, hopefully they just wrote 9 or so great songs and decided after "ok, this one will be a good teaser for the album".
Well last time, the 'single' was On the Backs of Angels, which they released in full. When they release singles these days, it's 100% targeted at the internet, and possibly satellite radio.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5707 on: June 25, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
From this JR interview
https://m.musicradar.com/news/tech/jordan-rudess-talks-new-apps-keyboards-pledgemusic-and-dream-theaters-next-album-579066

And on top of all of this, you're finishing the new Dream Theater album. What can you tell me about it at this point?

"We're mixing it as we speak. It's all very, very exciting. One of the cool things about Dream Theater is, we don't slow down, and I don't mean just work-wise. You see some of these groups that have been around, and sometimes they drift away from their core fundamental styles. They get a little tired or their chops get tired.

"With our group, that isn't the case. I don't know how everybody does it, but we all stay energized, excited, focused. We practice, and we're into it. I really see us as being more vital than ever before. I'm listening to the new record, and it's giving me chills. It's that great! And I have to say that sonically we've never sounded better."

This is the second album with Mike Mangini. On the last album, he was definitely "the new guy," but now he's played many, many shows with you –

"That's right. And you can tell. He's totally dialed in. People will be smiling when they hear this. There's so much Mangini on this album. [Laughs] To me, in a lot of ways, this is his album, because he's now a total member of this group – the shining star."

The record is self-titled. What went into that decision?

"We really feel as though we got to this level where the music is what we truly are. Even though we've had a long career, and some of the albums are really, really good, at this place in time we felt like this record is so representative of what we want Dream Theater to be and who each of us is, both as individuals and collectively. We felt like we could honestly say, 'This is Dream Theater.' That's what it's about. We wanted to make a strong statement, and we felt proud enough and secure enough to announce to the world, if you will, 'This is what it is. This is who we are.'"

:jawdrop:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline emtee

« Reply #5708 on: June 25, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »
They are setting the expectations very very high. I'm not gonna get caught up in the hype. I will buy the album, like all other DT
albums and I will find a place where I can listen alone and uninterrupted. And I'll let the music do the talking.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5709 on: June 25, 2013, 07:27:51 PM »
They are setting the expectations very very high. I'm not gonna get caught up in the hype. I will buy the album, like all other DT
albums and I will find a place where I can listen alone and uninterrupted. And I'll let the music do the talking. turn the water into wine.

I do this way too often. XD

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5710 on: June 25, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »
albums and I will find a place where I can listen alone and uninterrupted. And I'll let the music do the talking.

I "believed the hype" over ADTOE and was totally let down.  But more MM really sounds promising, also the fact that they put their "name stamp" on this album.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5711 on: June 25, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
No offense, but Jordan has a tendency to be aware of what fans are saying and speak to the crowd. I love JR, so don't take this as a slight, but I still remember the interviews where he said that BC&SL was more dynamic sounding and that JP had taken to writing lyrics about "real things" again :D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5712 on: June 25, 2013, 07:58:45 PM »
No offense, but Jordan has a tendency to be aware of what fans are saying and speak to the crowd. I love JR, so don't take this as a slight, but I still remember the interviews where he said that BC&SL was more dynamic sounding and that JP had taken to writing lyrics about "real things" again :D

Well car accidents, the Illuminati, writer's block, and Tuscan Counts are real things.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #5713 on: June 25, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »

Well car accidents, the Illuminati, writer's block, and Tuscan Counts are real things.

FTFM  ;D

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5714 on: June 25, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
Well, ya know, he's not completely wrong about that. Sure the lyrics can be pretty lame, but JP did start writing about real things again. And I think BC&SL is far more dynamic than SC.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5716 on: June 25, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »

In all fairness, he was correct. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
« Reply #5718 on: June 25, 2013, 11:13:30 PM »

In all fairness, he was correct.

I agree with this, especially when compared to the SC as was mentioned previously by another poster.  Though I can also understand the reasoning behind not getting to carried away by the hype...but for me personally I just can't help it  :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5719 on: June 25, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »
What a loser.

So why don't you kill him ?  ::)

:|

It takes a wikipedia article to explain that?    ::) Kids these days.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5720 on: June 26, 2013, 01:55:58 AM »
We felt like we could honestly say, 'This is Dream Theater.' That's what it's about. We wanted to make a strong statement, and we felt proud enough and secure enough to announce to the world, if you will, 'This is what it is. This is who we are.'"
Awesome to hear!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #5721 on: June 26, 2013, 02:02:28 AM »
Damn you, Jordan! I'm trying not to be overly hyped about this and then you go and say something like that...  :lol

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #5722 on: June 26, 2013, 02:24:19 AM »
This makes me even more excited!

Offline liran95

« Reply #5723 on: June 26, 2013, 02:51:52 AM »
That's it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5724 on: June 26, 2013, 02:54:10 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #5725 on: June 26, 2013, 02:55:49 AM »
Damn you, Jordan! I'm trying not to be overly hyped about this and then you go and say something like that...  :lol
Yeah...

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #5726 on: June 26, 2013, 06:39:53 AM »
Yeah...

I have now officially embraced the hype... Can't go back now...  :biggrin:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5727 on: June 26, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
You think hype is your ally? You merely adopted the hype.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5728 on: June 26, 2013, 09:58:55 AM »
That's it.

That's actually quite funny pic because there is over +30 celsius degrees here in Finland right now. And you know that Finland is not the hottest country in the world...
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5729 on: June 26, 2013, 10:11:05 AM »

Offline Lucien

« Reply #5730 on: June 26, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
The intro of The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun (on repeat) is helping to ease the not being able to wait for something.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5731 on: June 26, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »
The intro of The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun (on repeat) is helping to ease the not being able to wait for something.

Haha, you're really liking it aren't you? :biggrin:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5732 on: June 26, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »
It is an excellent intro and the whole song is awesome :)

Offline liran95

« Reply #5733 on: June 26, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »

:D :D :D

I'm so freaking happy right now  :metal :metal

Offline Grizz

« Reply #5734 on: June 26, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »
What if that + the lyric sheet was the single?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
« Reply #5735 on: June 26, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #5736 on: June 26, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »
That's actually quite funny pic because there is over +30 celsius degrees here in Finland right now. And you know that Finland is not the hottest country in the world...
Now as in today? That's funny, in Norway it's cold and rainy today. +12 right outside Oslo, which is ridiculously cold considering its June and all. If this is the summer standard this year it may even start snowing before DT12 comes out, lol.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5737 on: June 26, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »
^It hasn't been 30 degrees in the part of Finland where I live today, but hot enough.

(sorry for the OT)

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #5738 on: June 26, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni