Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847781 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #5670 on: June 25, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »
3 days from now, 2 years ago, a single was released. We're pretty close, I'm sure.

Of course, about 2 and a half weeks ago, 2 years ago, we had a tracklist, so I don't know.  :\
I wouldn't base my hopes or expectations on what happened last time, or any other time.  Each album is its own entity, with different circumstances.  They don't keep to a calendar.  When it's done, it's done.  When they are ready to give more info, they will give more info.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5671 on: June 25, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
I'm calling it. There will be NO SINGLE this time around.

Offline liran95

« Reply #5672 on: June 25, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »

Why are you so sure about it? :)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5673 on: June 25, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »

Why are you so sure about it? :)

I'm not. But I've got a feeling.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5674 on: June 25, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
I'm 100% sure there WILL be a single - even if DT didn't want to release one, Roadrunner would demand it.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #5675 on: June 25, 2013, 12:28:25 PM »
Where's Randy when we need him?!

:lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5676 on: June 25, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »
I'm not sure why DT are insistent on still releasing singles - they're not a singles band, they're not going to be played on radio anytime soon. And the fans are going to buy the albums any way, without any help/promotion from singles. On the other hand, would the Grammy nomination have happened if they hadn't released OTBOA as a single?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5677 on: June 25, 2013, 12:29:10 PM »
I'm 100% sure there WILL be a single - even if DT didn't want to release one, Roadrunner would demand it.

What if the band doesn't feel any of the songs are "single worthy", like maybe outside the context of the album, the song isn't as strong?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5678 on: June 25, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »
I'm not sure why DT are insistent on still releasing singles - they're not a singles band, they're not going to be played on radio anytime soon. And the fans are going to buy the albums any way, without any help/promotion from singles. On the other hand, would the Grammy nomination have happened if they hadn't released OTBOA as a single?

The internet bro. YouTube.

Offline TL

« Reply #5679 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »
Singles definitely aren't just for radio play these days. Yes, a large part of their fanbase will buy the album no matter what, but there will always be some who are undecided, and releasing a song ahead of the album can get them on board. It's also a good way to bring in people who weren't fans before, and it doesn't really take extra effort on the band's part to put a song online. People could happen across it, or someone who is a fan could send a link of an officially uploaded youtube video to a friend of theirs who isn't a fan yet, but might like it.

Really, there's not really any reason for them not to release one.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5680 on: June 25, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »
Speak for yourselves, I like most of the New music videos for singles

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5681 on: June 25, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
Singles definitely aren't just for radio play these days. Yes, a large part of their fanbase will buy the album no matter what, but there will always be some who are undecided, and releasing a song ahead of the album can get them on board. It's also a good way to bring in people who weren't fans before, and it doesn't really take extra effort on the band's part to put a song online. People could happen across it, or someone who is a fan could send a link of an officially uploaded youtube video to a friend of theirs who isn't a fan yet, but might like it.

Really, there's not really any reason for them not to release one.

Agreed. For example, a lot of people at Prog Archives were undecided about checking out ADTOE, due to the last 2-3 albums being inconsistent in many people's minds, and listening to On The Backs of Angels definitely changed a lot of members minds and wound up buying ADTOE. Some hadn't bought a DT album since Train of Thought.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5682 on: June 25, 2013, 12:37:14 PM »
Sounds like they're taking extra time to make it right just like Luna Park.  Do you want it fast and sonically meh, or do you want it later and sonically better?  People complain about the mix of ADTOE, well wasn't that mixed faster?

Then again they could be making a surround sound version.....
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5683 on: June 25, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »
Don't they have contractual obligation with Roadrunner? I figured that was the only reason they released singles nowadays anyway. Same with the videos.

Somewhat related question for older fans: Would DT release any music prior to the album release in between Scenes and signing with Roadrunner? And if so, how would that work?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5684 on: June 25, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
I don't get it. Luigi doesn't have respect for people who like music he doesn't like?

Can't wait for that new album, whooo yeeeaaah.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5685 on: June 25, 2013, 12:50:21 PM »
The internet bro. YouTube.

Yeah, this. These days, the internet is far better music promotional tool than any radio station or music TV channel. Hence why 'lyrics videos' have become so popular, even though I don't care so much about those.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5686 on: June 25, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
3 days from now, 2 years ago, a single was released. We're pretty close, I'm sure.

Of course, about 2 and a half weeks ago, 2 years ago, we had a tracklist, so I don't know.  :\

Maybe we'll get a big announcement, with tracklist, artwork and a single alltogether!
(wishful thinking)

soon!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5687 on: June 25, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »

What if the band doesn't feel any of the songs are "single worthy", like maybe outside the context of the album, the song isn't as strong?

Well, I HOPE the band didn't write a song just for the express purpose of it being a single. Instead, hopefully they just wrote 9 or so great songs and decided after "ok, this one will be a good teaser for the album".

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5688 on: June 25, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »
There will definitely be a single, because RR need one to promote the album. If the album contains only proggy epics, then some song will probably be edited. However, DT have always had at least one or two songs that can easily be released as singles on each album, so the band and/or RR won't have trouble picking a preview track, I think.

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #5689 on: June 25, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »
Just imagine if there were no more announcements... no tracklist... no album art... and we had to wait until September 24th!!   :eek
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5690 on: June 25, 2013, 02:08:32 PM »
:marriageanalogy:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5691 on: June 25, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »
From Meme Theater:

"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5692 on: June 25, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
Perhaps we'll be extremely lucky and get a midi version of a single. Instead of James singing, they could just dub Microsoft Sam singing on top of the midi.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #5693 on: June 25, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »
Yeah they should just give us the sheet music for the single. We'll figure it out.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #5694 on: June 25, 2013, 04:49:38 PM »
Yeah they should just give us the sheet music for the single. We'll figure it out.

It would just be a big black sheet of paper

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5695 on: June 25, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »

Th Black Page.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #5696 on: June 25, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »

Th Black Page.

totally out of the exorcist

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5697 on: June 25, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
That's what Beck did for his last "album"...all sheet music.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5698 on: June 25, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »
What a loser.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5699 on: June 25, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
What a loser.

So why don't you kill him ?  ::)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5700 on: June 25, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

Offline johncal

« Reply #5701 on: June 25, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
I'm sure the Grammy nomination factors into the single. It has to get out and get circulated for a while. Sure looks like it helped them the last time.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5702 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »
From this JR interview
https://m.musicradar.com/news/tech/jordan-rudess-talks-new-apps-keyboards-pledgemusic-and-dream-theaters-next-album-579066

And on top of all of this, you're finishing the new Dream Theater album. What can you tell me about it at this point?

"We're mixing it as we speak. It's all very, very exciting. One of the cool things about Dream Theater is, we don't slow down, and I don't mean just work-wise. You see some of these groups that have been around, and sometimes they drift away from their core fundamental styles. They get a little tired or their chops get tired.

"With our group, that isn't the case. I don't know how everybody does it, but we all stay energized, excited, focused. We practice, and we're into it. I really see us as being more vital than ever before. I'm listening to the new record, and it's giving me chills. It's that great! And I have to say that sonically we've never sounded better."

This is the second album with Mike Mangini. On the last album, he was definitely "the new guy," but now he's played many, many shows with you –

"That's right. And you can tell. He's totally dialed in. People will be smiling when they hear this. There's so much Mangini on this album. [Laughs] To me, in a lot of ways, this is his album, because he's now a total member of this group – the shining star."

The record is self-titled. What went into that decision?

"We really feel as though we got to this level where the music is what we truly are. Even though we've had a long career, and some of the albums are really, really good, at this place in time we felt like this record is so representative of what we want Dream Theater to be and who each of us is, both as individuals and collectively. We felt like we could honestly say, 'This is Dream Theater.' That's what it's about. We wanted to make a strong statement, and we felt proud enough and secure enough to announce to the world, if you will, 'This is what it is. This is who we are.'"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5703 on: June 25, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
« Reply #5704 on: June 25, 2013, 06:06:12 PM »

"I'm listening to the new record, and it's giving me chills. It's that great! And I have to say that sonically we've never sounded better."

:omg: :heart :hefdaddy Can it be September already?