Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847812 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #5635 on: June 25, 2013, 08:47:46 AM »
Declaring any art as better or worse, matter of factly, is pointless. Taste lives in the soul of every individual. Different eyes see
different things and different hearts beat on different strings.

I'm almost sure everyone got that reference  ;D

Nope. Didn't even realize it was one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5636 on: June 25, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »
Wow.

Surprising
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #5637 on: June 25, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »
To me is very simple.

The 90`s was the best DT musical period, and they extended that to SDOIT (their last completely satisfying work -2.001-).

Every album from that date, was a little bit more dissapointing than the previous, with SC as a clear low point and BC&SL as a bottom, thanks to that "balls" theory of Portnoy.

With ADTOE (a very safe album -it was the purpose-) they recovered a lot of musical seriousness.

And now, I have a huge expectation for DT12, basically for the presence of Mangini in the creative process (adding Richard Chycki and Eren Başbuğ).

I thought SC and BC&SL were good albums, and I'd rather listen to them than I&W and Awake. go figure!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5638 on: June 25, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »
Wow.

Surprising
Not everyone here is a Rush fan :P

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #5639 on: June 25, 2013, 08:56:59 AM »
Wow.

Surprising
Not everyone here is a Rush fan :P

What's Rush? Fast-paced rock?
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Luigi

« Reply #5640 on: June 25, 2013, 09:09:24 AM »
I would like an artwork with a variety of greens (but based on acid green), made it by an unknown graphic artist.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5641 on: June 25, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »
I would like an artwork with a variety of greens
Like these?

:splodetard:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5642 on: June 25, 2013, 09:15:22 AM »
To me is very simple.

The 90`s was the best DT musical period, and they extended that to SDOIT (their last completely satisfying work -2.001-).

Every album from that date, was a little bit more dissapointing than the previous, with SC as a clear low point and BC&SL as a bottom, thanks to that "balls" theory of Portnoy.

With ADTOE (a very safe album -it was the purpose-) they recovered a lot of musical seriousness.

And now, I have a huge expectation for DT12, basically for the presence of Mangini in the creative process (adding Richard Chycki and Eren Başbuğ).

If you don`t understand, isn`t my problem, and I couldn`t care less.
Start caring more.

That's a second warning.  Please treat the band and your fellow board members with more respect.  If you can't, then maybe this isn't the place for you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Luigi

« Reply #5643 on: June 25, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »
I would like an artwork with a variety of greens
Like these?

:splodetard:

Not exactly :laugh:

Offline Luigi

« Reply #5644 on: June 25, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »
Please treat... your fellow board members with more respect.

Like this motherfucking "respect", asshole?

complete load of shit.

You can`t be more hypocrite.

And now suspend me, Sheriff. I don`t give a fuck about people who says: "SC is still a really good album"... and Awake!!! "are ranked right at the bottom for me" (that phrase is the real tsunami of shit).

I don`t care about how many technical "knowledge" you have if you don`t understand fucking anything about music. Period.

Hasta nunca.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5645 on: June 25, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
And now suspend me, Sheriff.
OK.

BTW, Blob, be more respectful, please.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5646 on: June 25, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5647 on: June 25, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »
Please treat... your fellow board members with more respect.

Like this motherfucking "respect", asshole?

complete load of shit.

You can`t be more hypocrite.

And now suspend me, Sheriff. I don`t give a fuck about people who says: "SC is still a really good album"... and Awake!!! "are ranked right at the bottom for me" (that phrase is the real tsunami of shit).

I don`t care about how many technical "knowledge" you have if you don`t understand fucking anything about music. Period.

Hasta nunca.

Dude. What the hell. You act like a 12 year old.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5648 on: June 25, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »
Man, that opinion was completely ridiculous. I'm really glad that we all seem to be pretty much over that "snobbishness" as a forum.

I'm not the biggest fan of the ToT-BC&SL run, but it's pretty much self-evident that there are multiple arcs to DT's fandom. Mainly, I can think of three main areas where new fandoms have jumped aboard and changed the make-up of the overall DT fandom pretty considerably:

1. People who got into DT in the early 90's or earlier, when DT were almost famous.
2. People who got into DT in the early 00's, when, thanks mostly to faster internet, people in general began exploring and sharing tons of music outside commercial channels
3. People who've just got into DT recently, thanks to them being featured in videogames and presented alongside newer bands signed to their label

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #5649 on: June 25, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »
So, how about that new album?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5650 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »
This, please.  Luigi has been temp-banned, no reason to pile on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5651 on: June 25, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
Man, that opinion was completely ridiculous. I'm really glad that we all seem to be pretty much over that "snobbishness" as a forum.

I'm not the biggest fan of the ToT-BC&SL run, but it's pretty much self-evident that there are multiple arcs to DT's fandom. Mainly, I can think of three main areas where new fandoms have jumped aboard and changed the make-up of the overall DT fandom pretty considerably:

1. People who got into DT in the early 90's or earlier, when DT were almost famous.
2. People who got into DT in the early 00's, when, thanks mostly to faster internet, people in general began exploring and sharing tons of music outside commercial channels
3. People who've just got into DT recently, thanks to them being featured in videogames and presented alongside newer bands signed to their label

Don't forget about the large contingent of Italians who got into the band after they started singing about Tuscany and counts. :biggrin:

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #5652 on: June 25, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »

yeah man I think alot of it boils down to, for most people i would think, what DT albums you were into when you were into them the most. For me Systematic chaos was the first DT album I eagerly anticipated since Octavarium, which was released as my DT fandom was established. For me, those two records are indefinitely Ingrained into my nostalgia, and I loved listening to those albums, despite how much flack (especially SC) they received, and I approached BC&SL in the same way.
I understand why DT fans put I&W, Awake and SFAM on a pedestal, and being a guitarist who tried to learn alot of that material, I can see where the praise is coming from. However, 9 times out of 10 i'm going to go to an album post-SFAM because I enjoy listening to them more.
In short: It's completely subjective.

Cannot effing wait! although i will say this again just for my own sake, I vow to not listen to a single snippet of this album until release! no single! no samples/teasers!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5653 on: June 25, 2013, 10:06:03 AM »

I'm sorry, but that phrase is the complete tsunami of shit. :neverusethis:

(that part of Luigi's post made me fucking :lol )

In all honesty, that is how I got into DT though, by Panic Attack and Constant Motion being featured in the Rock Band games. I had heard of DT previously since 2004 or so because my cousin listened to them and 2004 was his first DT show.

Cannot effing wait! although i will say this again just for my own sake, I vow to not listen to a single snippet of this album until release! no single! no samples/teasers!

I would like to being to say this, but I know I will not be able to resist any official singles/snippets. I'm not going to bother holding myself off of a single, but I will try to get away from snippets. I know I will fail, but I do have other new music to hold me off at least.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #5654 on: June 25, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
I'm loving the idea of having a song come out about 6 weeks before the album is due to release and another song every two weeks giving us fans 3 songs from the new album. Here's hoping we get a new track from James' album here in another week and he get a song from Dream Theater's new one beginning of August.  :metal
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Deve

« Reply #5655 on: June 25, 2013, 10:39:44 AM »
Is anyone else hoping they don't release snippets of the new songs like they did with ADTOE? I feel like they may have ruined specific parts of songs for me because when I listened to them in full for the first time, I kept going, "okay, so when is that part of the song coming? I KNOW IT'S HERE SOMEWHERE"

I guess I could just not listen to the snippets. I DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE THE SELF-RESTRAINT THOUGH :'(

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5656 on: June 25, 2013, 10:40:34 AM »
I don't have the self control
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5657 on: June 25, 2013, 10:42:51 AM »
I don't have the self control

Neither do I.  I always need to hear how new music sounds ASAP.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5658 on: June 25, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »
My self-control escapes from me..... stiiiiiilll-aaa

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5659 on: June 25, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »
No, it's not possible for me. Last time I managed to keep half of the album unknown to me until the moment I got the CD (three days after worldwide release). I aim to replicate the effort, but I will for sure listen to the single (should one come before the release date, which is yet to be seen) and to whatever snippet of the album that will be officially released by the band.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Grizz

« Reply #5660 on: June 25, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »

I got into it in the late 00's thanks to my dad. He played Octavarium in the car a lot and I bought BC&SL myself which would explain my preference.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5661 on: June 25, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »
3 days from now, 2 years ago, a single was released. We're pretty close, I'm sure.

Of course, about 2 and a half weeks ago, 2 years ago, we had a tracklist, so I don't know.  :\
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #5662 on: June 25, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »
3 days from now, 2 years ago, a single was released. We're pretty close, I'm sure.

Of course, about 2 and a half weeks ago, 2 years ago, we had a tracklist, so I don't know.  :\

Maybe we'll get a big announcement, with tracklist, artwork and a single alltogether!
(wishful thinking)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5663 on: June 25, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »
That happened because 9 days from now, three years ago, a tour was about to kick off in Rome. They decided to bring a new song on the road in order to give the wider audience the impression of a band always on the moved and facing forward and hence the need of releasing the single before hitting the stages.

No summer tour this time, so there is no need to rush the release of the single. Mixes are still under way, and the mastering phase is still days or weeks ahead of us. If a single has to be release, I see that happening in the second half of July, not earlier. :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #5664 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »
The day after tomorrow is my birthday. I'm going to be optimistic.  :angel:

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
« Reply #5665 on: June 25, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »

At this point, I think it's best to think of things in terms of distance from release.

76 days from release of ADTOE we had a single
77 days from release of ADTOE Mix+Master was complete
97 days from release of ADTOE we had a tracklist+title

We're now at 92 days from release

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5666 on: June 25, 2013, 12:04:46 PM »
76 days from release of ADTOE we had a single

Of course, DT was only a couple weeks away from starting a world tour at that point.  They had to get one of the songs from ADTOE out there so they could play it on tour.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5667 on: June 25, 2013, 12:10:36 PM »

Personally, as far as I'm concerned, people who make those kinds of statements are just insecure about the fact that it's their 'favorie band' and yet, they dislike the recent stuff. Which I can kind of understand. There have been certain franchises I'd become heavily disenchanted with after they'd gone through some significant changes, and yeah, I've always stayed with the purist mentality about those franchises. But music is different from movies or games. It's not like changing a musical direction can be considered "jumping the shark". Music in general is harder to critique, because it can still move people in different ways. It's not like you can say, "Well, the storyline in this music is too convoluted," or "this character doesn't take the situation seriously which kills the tension" or anything like that.

I don't even know where I'm going with this...

So yeah, the new single! Is it just me, or did DT seem like they were done recording and mixing way quicker the last time around? I mean, at this time, 2 years ago, weren't they already prepping for touring and stuff? So if this album is getting longer to make, it would make sense that we'll be getting a single later on.

Of course, DT was only a couple weeks away from starting a world tour at that point.

Ha, so I was right.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5668 on: June 25, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
I understand not liking parts of a bands discography, but simply stating that everyone who doesn't agree doesn't understand music was pretty funny.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5669 on: June 25, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »
I think they were in more of a hurry last time around. They had a tour coming up in the summer plus they had all that hype surrounding the new drummer. Now they're able to take it easy and do things at a slightly slower pace. They also don't need to rush out a single since the tour doesn't start until after the album comes out. They'll probably want to release a single closer to September to help keep the hype going for the album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods