Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848399 times)

Offline WildeSilas

Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #5495 on: June 23, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
All right, since we're doing this....

Another Cake

Cake The Time

Cake For Sleep

A Change Of Filling

Beyond This Slice

The Dessert Carries On

Stream Of Chocolate

In The Name Of Cake

The Cake Lies Within

Pastry Attack

The Dark Eternal Chocolate

The Cake of Tuscany

Breaking All Diets

Well, we're not all doing it. Some of us are just going to stand around and mock those of you who do. Though I lol'd at "Pastry Attack."
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5496 on: June 23, 2013, 11:06:21 PM »
And let's not forget classics like:

A Fortune In Pies

Let's not forget the new single A Fortune In Pies

:justjen

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5497 on: June 24, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
DREAM THEATER
ANNOUNCE FIRST LEG OF THEIR EUROPEAN TOUR
IN SUPPORT OF THEIR NEW SELF-TITLED ALBUM
OUT SEPTEMBER 24, 2013

LAUNCHING JANUARY 15 AND WRAPPING FEBRUARY 24, 2014

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR PLANNED FOR MARCH 2014

DREAM THEATER--John Petrucci on guitar, John Myung on bass, James LaBrie on vocals, Jordan Rudess on keyboards and continuum, and Mike Mangini on drums--are one of the biggest touring bands in the world having completed a 14-month tour with 110 shows through 34 different countries from 2011-2012 in support of their eleventh studio album A Dramatic Turn Of Events. Now the Grammy-nominated progressive metal titans have announced the first leg of their European tour launching January 15 in Porto, Portugal in support of their new studio album being released September 24; it marks the first self-titled release in the band's nearly three-decade career.

The upcoming tour will encompass 30 cities in 16 countries. The band is also planning to tour North America beginning in March 2014.

DREAM THEATER was recorded at Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York, with John Petrucci producing and studio luminary Richard Chycki (Aerosmith, Rush) engineering and mixing. The album marks a brilliant new chapter for the always adventurous band, their first to have been written and recorded with drummer Mike Mangini (who joined the band in 2010) wholly integrated into the creative process from the start.

“I see every new album as an opportunity to start over,” says Petrucci. “To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We’re incredibly excited about DREAM THEATER and can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

DREAM THEATER is proud to provide VIP packages for all shows on their upcoming tour (full tour itinerary below). VIP packages include premium seats, exclusive meet and great with the band, personal photo with the band, signed limited edition collection tour poster, special tour gift, and much more. For more information and to purchase VIP packages and get advance tickets, visit the bands website: https://bit.ly/DTVIPEU. VIP packages and advance tickets go on sale this Tuesday, June 25 at 10am CET.

DREAM THEATER’s U.K. & Europe tour dates are as follows:

DATE            CITY             VENUE
Wed      15/1      Porto, Portugal      Coliseum of Porto
Thu      16/1      Madrid, Spain      Palacio Visalegre
Fri      17/1      Pamplona, Spain      Anaitasuna
Sat      18/1      Barcelona, Spain      St. Jordi Club
Mon      20/1      Milan, Italy         Mediolanum Forum
Tues       21/1      Florence, Italy      Obihall
Wed      22/1      Rome, Italy         Palalottomatica
Thu      23/1      Padova, Italy         Geox Theatre         
Sat      25/1       Vienna, Austria      Gasometer   
Sun      26/1      Munich, Germany      Zenith   
Mon      27/1      Zurich, Switzerland       Volkshaus
Wed      29/1      Prague, Czech Republic   Tipsport Arena    
Thu      30/1      Ludwigsburg, Germany   Arena
Fri      31/1      Paris, France         Zenith
Sat      1/2      Offenbach, Germany   Stadthalle
Mon      3/2      Zagreb, Croatia      Cibona
Tues      4/2      Ljubljana, Slovenia      Small Tivoli
Wed      5/2      Katowice, Poland      Spodek Hall    
Fri      7/2      Bamberg, Germany      Stechert Arena
Sat      8/2      Deinze, Belgium      Brielpoort
Sun      9/2      Hannover, Germany   Swiss Life Hall
Mon      10/2      Saarbrucken, Germany    Saarlandhalle
Wed      12/2      Lille, France         Aeronef
Thu      13/2      Manchester, UK      O2 Apollo   
Fri      14/2      London, UK         Wembley Arena
Sat      15/2      Wolverhampton, UK      Wolverhampton Civic Hall
Mon      17/2      Amsterdam, Holland   Heineken Music Hall   
Tues      18/2      Dusseldorf, Germany   Mitsubishi Electric Halle
Thu      20/2      Copenhagen, Denmark   Falconer         
Mon      24/2      Helsinki, Finland      Icehall

About DREAM THEATER

Progressive metal band Dream Theater formed in 1985 under the name Majesty by John Petrucci, John Myung, and Mike Portnoy. Though a number of lineup changes followed, the three original members remained together, along with James LaBrie and Jordan Rudess, until September 2010, when Mike Portnoy exited the band. In October 2010, Dream Theater held auditions for a new drummer, and added drummer extraordinaire Mike Mangini to its roster.

In 2012 the band received its first-ever Grammy nomination for “On The Backs Of Angels” in the Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance category.  The song was the first single from their eleventh studio album A Dramatic Turn Of Events (released September 13, 2011 on Roadrunner Records), which had fourteen top 10 debuts around the world (including the U.S., where it entered at #8 on the Billboard Top 200 album chart). 

In 2012, DREAM THEATER wrapped up a massive worldwide, headline tour in support of
A Dramatic Turn of Events and will release a new album in September 2013. To date, the legendary progressive metal masters have sold in excess of ten million records and DVDs worldwide.

www.dreamtheater.net
https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet
www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterofficial
Press Releases, Bio and Band Q&A’s
press.roadrunnerrecords.com/dreamtheater
www.msopr.com/n/client-roster/dream-theater
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5498 on: June 24, 2013, 12:13:39 AM »
And let's not forget classics like:

A Fortune In Pies

Let's not forget the new single A Fortune In Pies

:justjen

Wow, totally missed that, my bad. But as if even the description starts with "Let's not forget." Weird.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #5499 on: June 24, 2013, 12:13:59 AM »
I'll be seeing them in March or April then, hopefully!!!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5500 on: June 24, 2013, 12:16:47 AM »
I'll be seeing them in March or April then, hopefully!!!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

I'd kill to catch'em at the Greek Theatre again. Or maybe the Santa Barbara Bowl? That'd be sweeeet!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5501 on: June 24, 2013, 12:19:33 AM »
I gotta say, I can't wait to see them again, but thank GOD the NA tour isn't until 2014, cause this year, money's gonna be tight!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #5502 on: June 24, 2013, 12:22:20 AM »

I'd kill to catch'em at the Greek Theatre again. Or maybe the Santa Barbara Bowl? That'd be sweeeet!

I haven't seen them at the Greek. I saw Chicago, Styx and Yes, Styx REO and Ted Nugent, all of which (except I was too young to remember Chicago) were WAY too quiet. You couldn't hear the music over the crowd. When DT was there, was that the case?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5503 on: June 24, 2013, 12:28:56 AM »
The sound was pretty decent. It was my first DT show. Prog Nation 09. I don't remember too much besides how beautiful the venue was and how disappointed I was they didn't play Metropolis, The Mirror, PMU or Peruvian Skies (newer fan back then).

I'd rather them play in Santa Barbara though.. Just as or even prettier than The Greek, probably 20% smaller, and closer to me :D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #5504 on: June 24, 2013, 12:56:31 AM »
Dream Theater a Firenze...

*faints*

Offline adastra

« Reply #5505 on: June 24, 2013, 01:10:58 AM »
FINLAAAAAAAAND!!!! YEAH!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5506 on: June 24, 2013, 01:29:56 AM »
Wait......not Sweden?

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Deve

« Reply #5507 on: June 24, 2013, 01:35:28 AM »
Great news! I'm kind of disappointed that they're going to be coming to NA in the Spring/Summer personally, reason being that they either play the Molson Amphitheatre (outdoor venue = spring/summer) or Massey Hall (indoor venue = fall/winter) when they come to Toronto, and Massey Hall is a much, MUCH better venue all around. It's good that they'll be getting more room for a bigger crowd though I guess.

Ah well, a DT show is still a DT show! Excited for when the announce the specific dates for NA  :biggrin:

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #5508 on: June 24, 2013, 01:40:35 AM »
No Greek date unfortunately, just as i expected :sadpanda:

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5509 on: June 24, 2013, 01:53:49 AM »
If you could keep discussion of the tour dates over here https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37672.0

That leaves more room for this:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5510 on: June 24, 2013, 01:54:50 AM »
Goddammit, you guys truly know how to make people hungry! :lol

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #5511 on: June 24, 2013, 02:15:27 AM »
So do we think the album process could be wrapped by the end of this week? How long does mastering generally take?

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #5512 on: June 24, 2013, 02:20:59 AM »
Mastering is faster than mixing, since it's not a creative process but a technical one. If they're done/almost done with the mixing, I think they will likely finish the mastering and all stuff by the end of this week.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #5513 on: June 24, 2013, 02:33:16 AM »
And I guess the booklet and other artwork is being done simultaneously with mixing and mastering. So I think the total album could be done within a week.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5514 on: June 24, 2013, 02:39:26 AM »
:letam: :2metal: :metal to both the tour dates and the album progress.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #5515 on: June 24, 2013, 02:40:54 AM »
THREE MONTHS TO RELEASE DAY.

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #5516 on: June 24, 2013, 02:41:23 AM »
No Scottish date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5517 on: June 24, 2013, 02:42:21 AM »
A LITTLE MORE THAN SEVEN MONTHS TO SHOW DATE.

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #5518 on: June 24, 2013, 02:44:32 AM »

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #5519 on: June 24, 2013, 02:57:06 AM »
They're not coming to Sweden this time?  :'(

Offline cyberdrummer

Offline Meatrose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5521 on: June 24, 2013, 03:04:47 AM »

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #5522 on: June 24, 2013, 04:37:24 AM »
I'm on holiday next week - imagine how many pages I'll have to catch up on if there's a tracklisting/artwork announcement!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5523 on: June 24, 2013, 04:46:34 AM »
Weird that they're not coming to Sweden this time. And even if they've saved a spot between Denmark and Finland for a gig in Stockholm it's still confusing why they wouldn't put it in the announcement. And if maybe they're having trouble with lication or something and it'll come later, then it's still confusing and in that case I'm wondering why they put the announcement out without having all the dates set.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5524 on: June 24, 2013, 05:14:42 AM »
I'm on holiday next week - imagine how many pages I'll have to catch up on if there's a tracklisting/artwork announcement!

Me too :D

Offline Naikon

« Reply #5525 on: June 24, 2013, 05:29:12 AM »
 :rollin
Weird that they're not coming to Sweden this time. And even if they've saved a spot between Denmark and Finland for a gig in Stockholm it's still confusing why they wouldn't put it in the announcement. And if maybe they're having trouble with lication or something and it'll come later, then it's still confusing and in that case I'm wondering why they put the announcement out without having all the dates set.

Or they are saving the Sweden play to Sweden Rock Festival in the summer

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #5526 on: June 24, 2013, 05:30:25 AM »
Mastering is faster than mixing, since it's not a creative process but a technical one. If they're done/almost done with the mixing, I think they will likely finish the mastering and all stuff by the end of this week.
Absolutely. Mastering an album can easily be done in a day, so as soon as the mix is finished the record is technically just one day from being done. End of this week with everything would seem fair, they should be at the very end of the mixing process by now. I just hope they've added 3 dB of bass this time, the bass has been too buried in the mix for like 10 years now except for certain parts of certain songs.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #5527 on: June 24, 2013, 05:38:08 AM »
Yeah, more bass and louder drums please.

Offline Meatrose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5528 on: June 24, 2013, 05:48:15 AM »

I just read the announcement again and it does say that "DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE FIRST LEG OF THEIR EUROPEAN TOUR" which could indicate that there'll be a second leg... I guess.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #5529 on: June 24, 2013, 05:52:11 AM »

I just read the announcement again and it does say that "DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE FIRST LEG OF THEIR EUROPEAN TOUR" which could indicate that there'll be a second leg... I guess.

Can we keep discussion of the tour to the Concerts section?

Anyway, can't wait to hear MM's drum parts, I think they were a little dull on ADTOE, possibly because JP constructed the basics.