Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847994 times)

Offline Thematt202

Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #5110 on: June 21, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
I don't agree but I respect your opinion so I'll leave it.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5111 on: June 21, 2013, 11:22:28 AM »
lol DTF drama.. I've had my fair share, that's for sure. not gonna get involved.. woops just did.

ANYWAY, on topic- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpdtvaPP04c
He called one of the microphones a "Bad Larry". :o

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5112 on: June 21, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »
LOL. The funny thing is that if the RR guy clicks on the link you provided the first thing he's gonna see is:

NO FUCK THESE ROADRUNNER MOTHERFCUKERS I'M NOT GOING TO BUY THE ALBUM NOW!!!!11!!!1!

I hope the guys at RR notice that there was not really any seriousness involved when making that comment :lol

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #5113 on: June 21, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
I decided to send RRR a tweet this morning, I expected no reply. I log back into Twitter, only to find out not only Roadrunner, but DTF had replied. My disappointment for no announcement has disappeared.  :metal
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5114 on: June 21, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
I for one never expected an announcement to come today. I don't know why, but that prevented me from being disappointed now. :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5115 on: June 21, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »
I get a weird feeling when I think how RR misused DT's respected status to generate hype with their "maybe" comments only to announce a Slipknot side-project.
What will happen next? Will they tease a DT announcement only to show pictures of a huge dump a RR employee took?

If they had used DT to promote something that DT fans would care about, it would have been fair game, balancing "vague misguiding" with with an useful piece of information. But Slipknot, seriously?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5116 on: June 21, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »
Notice that RRUK hinted at the DT news, but RRUSA said no.  That looks like the miscommunication to me.  Same company, but different locations.  UK got their bands mixed up?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5117 on: June 21, 2013, 11:58:45 AM »
Dream Theater is only one of many artists affiliated with RoadRunner.  If RR say an announcement is forthcoming, then it may be from any one of their artists.  If someone asks if it's going to be Dream Theater, everybody knows that they can't answer that with a "Yes" or "No"; the only proper response is "Maybe".  It's a perfectly acceptable and correct answer; the only other option would be not to respond at all, which is lame.

Every possible variation of "Maybe" ("You'll just have to wait and see", "We can't say", etc.) would have been met with the same response: "Oh God, I knew it!  It's going to be about DT!"  People will read what they want into the reply.

Are they not allowed to post announcements from any other band, just because DT is in the studio and a handful of rabid fans will go apeshit if they don't get a daily dose of inside information?  Is every announcement regarding any of their other bands going to be met with "Fuck you, I thought this would be about DT!"?

Seriously, what were they supposed to say when asked?

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #5118 on: June 21, 2013, 11:59:20 AM »
I get a weird feeling when I think how RR misused DT's respected status to generate hype with their "maybe" comments only to announce a Slipknot side-project.
What will happen next? Will they tease a DT announcement only to show pictures of a huge dump a RR employee took?

If they had used DT to promote something that DT fans would care about, it would have been fair game, balancing "vague misguiding" with with an useful piece of information. But Slipknot, seriously?
Well, on the other hand, when you want to keep something secret, it's a common practice to answer all questions with "maybe".

Edit: ninja'd

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5119 on: June 21, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »

Its not about Slipknot, its about Joey being the drummer of a new band.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5120 on: June 21, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
The song on the album "Bad Larry" is going to have the same drums that mangini uses the bad larry microphones for.

Now you just reminded me of that chart of people visiting DT.net.

Anyways, I removed the "we hate you" comment and replaced it with basically an apology. I hope that makes it a little better.

Also, stop calling me Wilson  :lol

Notice that RRUK hinted at the DT news, but RRUSA said no.  That looks like the miscommunication to me.  Same company, but different locations.  UK got their bands mixed up?

Also, this.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5121 on: June 21, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »

Ummm... I don't know what to say about that..

Roadrunner joined DTF

:lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5122 on: June 21, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »
You've gotten me a bit wrong. I don't mean to rant, I just want to say that RR deliberately let it go out of hand with stuff like this:

When you announce a Slipknot side-project and people ask you about bands of the calibre of DT, you have to say "no". Clear and simple.
When they ask about bands that are comparable to Slipknot, this is when you throw the "maybe" hints.

The way they did it, they managed to generate negative PR for the new band because people are disappointed about something that they could have been easily excited about. Don't generate hype that's disproportionate to the announcement.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5123 on: June 21, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »
Roadrunner joined DTF

:metal

I don't think RR did anything wrong here. As a fanbase, we can get a bit carried away, and see everything through DT coloured sunglasses, sometimes not seeing the bigger picture.
While I was hoping this would be something DT related, I'm also not at all surprised that it wasn't, and I'm not the least bit angry about it. I think it's kind of funny when it happens, because we love getting excited over every potential DT-related tidbit, which is great, but we also have to keep it in perspective.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5124 on: June 21, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
Why so harsh towards Lucien/Wilson?  It was clearly a throwaway tongue in cheek kinda comment.

Bosk1 is right in this situation. It can create a very negative opinion of our forum, which, while not the official one, is definitely viewed as very important in DT land.

Correct.  I'm not trying to take an unreasonable hard line for no reason.  But the issue is, even if tongue-in-cheek, claiming to represent this forum when ranting on a DT or label-related website.  Even though we are an "unofficial forum," the band and band management are very aware of our existence and interact directly with Wey and I. They are genuinely appreciative of the support of all of you.  But it is very easy for our image to be mistakenly tarnished by people making off the cuff statements and holding themselves out as "the Forum" or the concensus on the forum when they are not.  I want to avoid that happening so that we do not unfairly get a bad name.  When Mike Portnoy was in charge of the band's media and P/R, including most of the fan interaction, this forum (the version of it that previously existed at DT.net, and then migrated, and split into this place and 5/8.com) developed a VERY negative image in Mike's mind and, by extension, in the mind of the band and management, and I have worked hard for years to mend fences and correct that perception.  I don't like the thought of that effort being thrown out the window by some posts that are just meant to be jokes, but may come accross much worse.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5125 on: June 21, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »

Roadrunner joined DTF

His account is approved.  Unfortunately, he picked a very obscure name that I think is going to make it very difficult for anyone to immediately pick up on the fact that he is the guy from RR Facebook.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5126 on: June 21, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
GuyWhoRunsTheRRFB

:lol I like him already. :tup

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5127 on: June 21, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »
GuyWhoRunsTheRRFB

:lol I like him already. :tup

But the font is wrong!

Offline GuyWhoRunsTheRRFB

• Forum VIP
« Reply #5128 on: June 21, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »
You've gotten me a bit wrong. I don't mean to rant, I just want to say that RR deliberately let it go out of hand with stuff like this:

When you announce a Slipknot side-project and people ask you about bands of the calibre of DT, you have to say "no". Clear and simple.
When they ask about bands that are comparable to Slipknot, this is when you throw the "maybe" hints.

The way they did it, they managed to generate negative PR for the new band because people are disappointed about something that they could have been easily excited about. Don't generate hype that's disproportionate to the announcement.

I addressed this in my response on Facebook.  Am I guilty of perhaps not thinking through the initial comment?  Yes.  Deliberately misleading people?  Certainly not.  I take my job, our image, and our bands very seriously and doing something like that would be totally against my integrity. 

By the way - hi guys!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5129 on: June 21, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »
His account is approved.  Unfortunately, he picked a very obscure name that I think is going to make it very difficult for anyone to immediately pick up on the fact that he is the guy from RR Facebook.

:rollin :rollin Yep, I definitely can't tell who it is by the name...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5130 on: June 21, 2013, 12:18:59 PM »
For the record, GuyWhoRunsTheRRFB is not John Myung.

/myworkisdonehere  :loneranger:

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #5131 on: June 21, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »
HI RR!!!! I'm so happy you're here!!!
Roadrunner joined DTF

:rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5132 on: June 21, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
I addressed this in my response on Facebook.  Am I guilty of perhaps not thinking through the initial comment?  Yes.  Deliberately misleading people?  Certainly not.  I take my job, our image, and our bands very seriously and doing something like that would be totally against my integrity. 

By the way - hi guys!

A lot of FB pages of that size wouldn't even give a response to comments, so I think that says a lot about your commitment right there.  :tup

I hope you don't take this incident as a negative reflection on our community. We're just a diehard group of fans, and the lead up to every new album is our Christmas Eve, and we're the kind of kids who like to sneak downstairs, find the presents, and shake them to figure out what's inside. Some people just shook this one too hard. :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5133 on: June 21, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
I for one never expected an announcement to come today. I don't know why, but that prevented me from being disappointed now. :)
This - sometimes it's good to be a cynical bastard :lol

Welcome, RR guy!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5134 on: June 21, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »

By the way - hi guys!
Hello! Thank you for doing nice things on facebook! Especially the DT related ones, but the others are fine too. q:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5135 on: June 21, 2013, 12:22:58 PM »
Welcome, RoadRunnerFbRunner  :)

I have a feeling you will enjoy this crazy place!  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #5136 on: June 21, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »
Welcome to DTF, RR!

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #5137 on: June 21, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »

By the way - hi guys!

Hey :) Welcome to DTF! Always happy to see new members, especially of a more official nature.

Now, spill the beans on any DT info!!! ;)
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5138 on: June 21, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »
So GuyWhoRunsTheRRFB has everyone here's dream job: getting paid to throw oneself into the middle of DTF drama  :tup

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5139 on: June 21, 2013, 12:26:45 PM »
Wow, so glad I walked in on the tail-end of all the drama.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5140 on: June 21, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
I've been posting a bit about this recently, but I think this comes from the slightly magnified lens all fans tend to look at their own communities with. (Including me, so it's not an accusation.) DTF seems huge from where we're stood, but in the grand scheme of things, we're really not. Even if they've soured fifty people on a message board, (it's definitely not as many as fifty,) I'm sure you're aware of how many thousands more those messages are actually reaching. Negative publicity is relative... and what it's relative to, today, is quite a lot of positive publicity.

Offline GuyWhoRunsTheRRFB

• Forum VIP
« Reply #5141 on: June 21, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »

By the way - hi guys!

A lot of FB pages of that size wouldn't even give a response to comments, so I think that says a lot about your commitment right there.  :tup

I hope you don't take this incident as a negative reflection on our community. We're just a diehard group of fans, and the lead up to every new album is our Christmas Eve, and we're the kind of kids who like to sneak downstairs, find the presents, and shake them to figure out what's inside. Some people just shook this one too hard. :P

Yeah, I get it; I work for Roadrunner for a reason!   ;)  That's also why I'm so serious about our image/bands.. this stuff is what I'm passionate about, so don't you tell me I was trying to do something shady with it!!!!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5142 on: June 21, 2013, 12:30:21 PM »
Welcome!

This thread is getting better and better.  :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #5143 on: June 21, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »

By the way - hi guys!

Hey, welcome to DTF! You know, we can be a little crazy at times, but we're not bad guys. Bob phrased it better than I can, but, yeah, sometimes, we're behaving like kids. Hey, for a minute, I even believed the post that said MM was out of DT and my heart sank. I think it speaks volumes... ;D

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5144 on: June 21, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
Hah, this is amazing :lol

Welcome to the forums! Sorry for dragging you in here! :xbones

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise