Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848044 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #4725 on: June 18, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »
Has any DT music been leaked this early? Usually for bands, I see leaked thing a week or so ahead of the release date.
Usually music doesn't leak til after mixing and mastering. One exception that I know of are the b-sides to System of a Down's Toxicity album, which later were reworked and rerecorded for Steal This Album! (with the title being a reference to those who leaked it)
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline liran95

« Reply #4726 on: June 18, 2013, 05:24:04 PM »
Has any DT music been leaked this early? Usually for bands, I see leaked thing a week or so ahead of the release date.
Usually music doesn't leak til after mixing and mastering. One exception that I know of are the b-sides to System of a Down's Toxicity album, which later were reworked and rerecorded for Steal This Album! (with the title being a reference to those who leaked it)

On the other hand, this "leaked song" sounds pretty un-mixed.
So everything is possible :) (Altough personally I believe it's a fake).

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4727 on: June 18, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Deleted: *rules are rules*
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:52:57 PM by jonnybaxy »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4728 on: June 18, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »
I can near guarantee 100% that this isn't real, but here's something to listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9wAstB0N9Q
LOL Home 2.0

Sounds like Myrath covering Home.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #4729 on: June 18, 2013, 09:30:45 PM »
Yeah, it's very unlikely. But still it's not completely impossible for a November US leg to happen.

I can't remember who said it, but I do remember some member of the band said they would be taking the rest of this year off after the release of the S/T.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4730 on: June 18, 2013, 09:42:29 PM »
Really? I read that they were taking summer off but saw nothing about taking a year off. That's very strange.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #4731 on: June 18, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »
They wouldn't be taking the whole year off, I mean, both the album and Live at Luna Park are coming up. But you might be right, I might have misread/misheard and it could be the summer and not the rest of the year. I'll have to see where I heard or read it.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #4732 on: June 18, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »
Maybe we're talking about the same thing. I thought you meant they were taking 2014 off. I think it was Rudess who said that they were gonna take the summer off when asked if they were gonna hit the festivals like in 2011.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #4733 on: June 18, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
No, I meant the rest of this year, 2013  :lol But I can't remember, for the sake of me, who was it who said it. Perhaps it was Rudess, LaBrie or Mangini.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #4734 on: June 18, 2013, 10:25:50 PM »
Ah that explains it. Yea, I just heard summer. Though it would make sense for them to take 2013 off and start the tour next year.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4735 on: June 19, 2013, 12:29:32 AM »
Can I remind everyone of the rules. If you discusss a DT leak, or even hint that one exists, you will be banned. So I suggest you simply stop talking about it now and make things easier for everyone.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #4736 on: June 19, 2013, 12:44:51 AM »
Can I remind everyone of the rules. If you discusss a DT leak, or even hint that one exists, you will be banned. So I suggest you simply stop talking about it now and make things easier for everyone.
Quick question: Does that rule only apply to DT leaks? Or all music leaks in general??
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4737 on: June 19, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »
I think it also includes oil leaks.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4738 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »
I'm sure the interview that you guys are referring to was with JP. In it he said that they were definitely taking the summer off, and probably the autumn - but that was not confirmed.

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #4739 on: June 19, 2013, 01:21:25 AM »
I can near guarantee 100% that this isn't real, but here's something to listen to:

LOL Home 2.0

I very much doubt that it's legit, but it's very cool nevertheless.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4740 on: June 19, 2013, 01:50:48 AM »

LOL Home 2.0

I very much doubt that it's legit, but it's very cool nevertheless.

Didn't you read Ariich's warning above?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4741 on: June 19, 2013, 02:31:16 AM »
Quick question: Does that rule only apply to DT leaks? Or all music leaks in general??
Broadly it applies to all leaks, certainly when it comes to linking or hinting at where a leak could be found. But with DT we take a firmer line, as this is DTF, so even discussion of the music itself is not allowed until the album is released.

Obviously that doesn't include discussion of any samples/snippets/singles that are officially released.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #4742 on: June 19, 2013, 03:11:45 AM »
in before all of the ban-hammers!  :yarr

"Mixes are going great!"

edit: wow someone already posted that from 2 pages ago. I should have know DTF....

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4743 on: June 19, 2013, 08:06:09 AM »
I was the first one who said it, but I promptly took it out of the post, and now people are just quoting it  :\
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4744 on: June 19, 2013, 08:10:09 AM »
Elements of Persuasion released three months before Octavarium, and people leaked tracks from it under the pretence that they were new Dream Theater songs, with the chorus to The Root of All Evil going "CRUCIFYYYYYYYYY."

According to Wikipedia, Mike Portnoy leaked the tracks relabeled as 8VM.

Confusion with Elements of Persuasion

Octavarium and James LaBrie's solo album Elements of Persuasion were both released in 2005 with fans awaiting both of them. When Ocavarium was leaked, Mike Portnoy took songs from Elements of Persuasion and put them onto the internet under the name "Octavarium". This lead to confusion among fans and many awkward situations such as a DJ playing the incorrect song at a wedding. Even this day, some fans are unaware that they have the wrong internet files.[22]

Sounds like a dick move if it's true.. but whatever.
As ever, though, "if it's true" is the clincher. I'd bet money that that's bollocks. Its only citation is DT.wikia.com, which is itself a less reliable wiki than wikipedia, and it cites it to... nothing! No citation whatsoever.
I did the exact same thing and checked the citations as well. :lol And yeah, sounds like nonsense to me.
lol Britfail

Guys, this actually happened.  As longtimers, I am surprised you don't remember this. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4745 on: June 19, 2013, 08:13:19 AM »
I'm sure that that was part of it.  Consider that Train of Thought was the album right before.  It was a deliberate step towards more straight-on rock and roll.  It is generally considered the "most metal, least progressive" album in DT's catalogue.  It wouldn't have been too much of a stretch to think that James' album, which is even closer to mainstream, could have followed it, if DT were proceeding in that direction.
Yeah, I guess this was the case. However, I'm surprised that (apparently) people didn't pay attention to the fact that none of the titles appeared in the lyrics of the songs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4746 on: June 19, 2013, 08:16:46 AM »
I'm sure that that was part of it.  Consider that Train of Thought was the album right before.  It was a deliberate step towards more straight-on rock and roll.  It is generally considered the "most metal, least progressive" album in DT's catalogue.  It wouldn't have been too much of a stretch to think that James' album, which is even closer to mainstream, could have followed it, if DT were proceeding in that direction.
Yeah, I guess this was the case. However, I'm surprised that (apparently) people didn't pay attention to the fact that none of the titles appeared in the lyrics of the songs.

The only people I recall falling for it were noobs gullible enough to believe it was real based on it being labeled as Octavarium, not recognizing the songs, and hearing JLB's voice. I don't recall any regulars falling for it, as it was well known that EoP was being substituted as a leak anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4747 on: June 19, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »
I did not fall for it.  But I certainly laughed my ass off.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4748 on: June 19, 2013, 08:21:28 AM »
The only people I recall falling for it were noobs gullible enough to believe it was real based on it being labeled as Octavarium, not recognizing the songs, and hearing JLB's voice. I don't recall any regulars falling for it, as it was well known that EoP was being substituted as a leak anyway.
Well, I can still imagine some people falling for it :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4749 on: June 19, 2013, 08:23:54 AM »
Well, I can still imagine some people falling for it :lol

Oh plenty of people fell for it, but I don't think any of them were the brightest folk. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4750 on: June 19, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »
lol Britfail

Guys, this actually happened.  As longtimers, I am surprised you don't remember this. 
Citation needed.

I remember the fake leak, obviously. I never saw anything about MP allegedly being the perpetrator though, either then or since. Happy to be proven wrong if you have a link to any evidence though!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4751 on: June 19, 2013, 08:33:44 AM »
lol Britfail

Citation needed.

I remember the fake leak, obviously. I never saw anything about MP allegedly being the perpetrator though, either then or since. Happy to be proven wrong if you have a link to any evidence though!
I don't have a "citation" but I remember reading an interview where he confessed to it.

I don't have time to search for a citation.  But I remember it.

Now watch me be proved wrong.  All my memories will be LIES!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4752 on: June 19, 2013, 08:43:34 AM »
I'd be the first person to link to an ancient intie, except I don't spend much time reading MP's inties :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4753 on: June 19, 2013, 09:36:15 AM »
I'm with hef. I remember it happening.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4754 on: June 19, 2013, 10:24:55 AM »
Mark me down as another that remembers MP saying he was behind it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4755 on: June 19, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »

Now watch me be proved wrong.  All my memories will be LIES!

I feel ya man, it's the curse of getting old...

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4756 on: June 19, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »
If anyone can fake DT this successfully I will forever be their whore.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4757 on: June 19, 2013, 10:34:50 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4758 on: June 19, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »
I remember it happening of course.  I just don't remember hearing anything about it being Mike who did it.

I wasn't fooled, but I remember that many were.  I was gonna comment on the possible correlation between intelligence (people dumb enough to be fooled) and morality (people who download leaked music) but realized that I had to invoke my Fifth Amendment right instead.

I still miss that flute solo at the end.  I thought that was a beautiful and sublime way to end the piece.

Offline liran95

« Reply #4759 on: June 19, 2013, 10:50:07 AM »