Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847707 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #4690 on: June 18, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
Who's gonna spread songs from James' new solo album as DT tracks on the Internet now that MP is gone? :neverusethis:

Mangini :neverusethis:

He is the genie in the band. He just twitches his nose in 137 / 947 time and LO !!!!! IT IS DONE !!!

Actually, it wasn't Genie that twitched her nose. It was Samantha the witch, in the series Bewitched.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4691 on: June 18, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
Elements of Persuasion released three months before Octavarium, and people leaked tracks from it under the pretence that they were new Dream Theater songs, with the chorus to The Root of All Evil going "CRUCIFYYYYYYYYY."

According to Wikipedia, Mike Portnoy leaked the tracks relabeled as 8VM.

Confusion with Elements of Persuasion

Octavarium and James LaBrie's solo album Elements of Persuasion were both released in 2005 with fans awaiting both of them. When Ocavarium was leaked, Mike Portnoy took songs from Elements of Persuasion and put them onto the internet under the name "Octavarium". This lead to confusion among fans and many awkward situations such as a DJ playing the incorrect song at a wedding. Even this day, some fans are unaware that they have the wrong internet files.[22]

Sounds like a dick move if it's true.. but whatever.
As ever, though, "if it's true" is the clincher. I'd bet money that that's bollocks. Its only citation is DT.wikia.com, which is itself a less reliable wiki than wikipedia, and it cites it to... nothing! No citation whatsoever.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4692 on: June 18, 2013, 11:57:59 AM »
I didn't know that Mike did it, and we still actually don't know (unless he admitted it), but I don't consider it a dick move at all.

Elements of Persuasion was out, and Octavarium was not officially released yet.  But everyone knew that it had leaked, so someone retagged EoP and sent it out there to specifically fuck with people who were after music that they're not supposed to have.  People downloaded it off of Kazaa or Napster or whatever was around then, I don't remember.  They heard James' voice, they were fooled.  Good times.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4693 on: June 18, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »
Who's gonna spread songs from James' new solo album as DT tracks on the Internet now that MP is gone? :neverusethis:

He is the genie in the band. He just twitches his nose in 137 / 947 time and LO !!!!! IT IS DONE !!!

Actually, it wasn't Genie that twitched her nose. It was Samantha the witch, in the series Bewitched.

:| It was a joke...

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #4694 on: June 18, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »

:facepalm:
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4695 on: June 18, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »
I didn't know that Mike did it, and we still actually don't know (unless he admitted it), but I don't consider it a dick move at all.

Elements of Persuasion was out, and Octavarium was not officially released yet.  But everyone knew that it had leaked, so someone retagged EoP and sent it out there to specifically fuck with people who were after music that they're not supposed to have.  People downloaded it off of Kazaa or Napster or whatever was around then, I don't remember.  They heard James' voice, they were fooled.  Good times.

The truly sad part is that people couldn't tell the difference between DT and Labrie's band.  ::) :huh: :facepalm:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #4696 on: June 18, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »

This sounds pretty clever actually. If it's true, :tup to MP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4697 on: June 18, 2013, 12:12:40 PM »

Octavarium and James LaBrie's solo album Elements of Persuasion were both released in 2005 with fans awaiting both of them. When Ocavarium was leaked, Mike Portnoy took songs from Elements of Persuasion and put them onto the internet under the name "Octavarium". This lead to confusion among fans and many awkward situations such as a DJ playing the incorrect song at a wedding. Even this day, some fans are unaware that they have the wrong internet files.[22]

That's why I always buy DT CD's and not download the music.  There were fake versions of 6DOIT songs going around before its release too.

This.  There aren't many contemporary bands for whom I have the entire discography on physical media, but Dream Theater is one of them.  And I'll be buying the new one, and trying to remain spoiler-free until then.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4698 on: June 18, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »

The truly sad part is that people couldn't tell the difference between DT and Labrie's band.  ::) :huh: :facepalm:
I don't think it was a dick move either, I think it was rather clever and I'd like to see someone do that this year too :lol
And yeah, it's pretty weird how they mistook it for DT. Okay, there's James, and Marco Sfogli maybe sounds a teensy bit like Petrucci, and only if you're not paying attention, but how they couldn't notice the difference in compositional departments and all the other performances is beyond me.

I guess DT was way more unpredictable back then, so that involved people believing they had the possibility of not sounding like themselves.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4699 on: June 18, 2013, 12:21:30 PM »
I'm sure that that was part of it.  Consider that Train of Thought was the album right before.  It was a deliberate step towards more straight-on rock and roll.  It is generally considered the "most metal, least progressive" album in DT's catalogue.  It wouldn't have been too much of a stretch to think that James' album, which is even closer to mainstream, could have followed it, if DT were proceeding in that direction.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4700 on: June 18, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »
Elements of Persuasion released three months before Octavarium, and people leaked tracks from it under the pretence that they were new Dream Theater songs, with the chorus to The Root of All Evil going "CRUCIFYYYYYYYYY."

As ever, though, "if it's true" is the clincher. I'd bet money that that's bollocks. Its only citation is DT.wikia.com, which is itself a less reliable wiki than wikipedia, and it cites it to... nothing! No citation whatsoever.
I did the exact same thing and checked the citations as well. :lol And yeah, sounds like nonsense to me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4701 on: June 18, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »

I did the exact same thing and checked the citations as well. :lol And yeah, sounds like nonsense to me.

If the search function worked at all at mp.com, a search of that forum might be worthwhile.  I know that MP released FII demo tracks labeled as other songs at one point, but I can't recall if he ever commented on the EOP clips.

• EB
« Reply #4702 on: June 18, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »

If the search function worked at all at mp.com, a search of that forum might be worthwhile.  I know that MP released FII demo tracks labeled as other songs at one point, but I can't recall if he ever commented on the EOP clips.
Don't go over there! It's too dangerous!!!
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline eosforum

« Reply #4703 on: June 18, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »
I predict the second episode of "DT in the Studio" to be released on Thursday. The first one was released on Thursday the 6th and DT are consistent with days when it comes to releasing promo material periodically. Also, how late can they be with the second episode anyway? Since the tracklist, artwork and single are not coming any day soon we really need the fix.

• EB
« Reply #4704 on: June 18, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
Maybe they'll release the tracklist in the video?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4705 on: June 18, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »
Maybe they'll release the tracklist in the video?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4706 on: June 18, 2013, 02:06:23 PM »

Offline eosforum

« Reply #4707 on: June 18, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »
Nah, I don't see that happening. These videos are more like a "backstage/making of" kind of thing like "the making of SC". I really doubt the second episode will be more of an announcement.

• EB
« Reply #4708 on: June 18, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »
Nah, I don't see that happening. These videos are more like a "backstage/making of" kind of thing like "the making of SC". I really doubt the second episode will be more of an announcement.
I was thinking more of a reveal than an announcement.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4709 on: June 18, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »
Maybe they will tease us as to when they will reveal the announcement.

• EB
« Reply #4710 on: June 18, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »
Maybe they will tease us as to when they will reveal the announcement.
:o

Offline Lucien

« Reply #4711 on: June 18, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »
I can near guarantee 100% that this isn't real, but here's something to listen to:

Took the link out for rules.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:07:17 PM by Lucien »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #4712 on: June 18, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »
I'd remove that link. Forum rules and all that jazz.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4713 on: June 18, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
I love one of the comments: this isn't real because the guitar doesn't sound like chocolate cake.  :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4714 on: June 18, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
Well, that's the only definite clue we have on what the album is going to sound like, isn't it? :D

Actually, this guy posted another song earlier on claiming it to be a leaked song. The picture was the same but in black and white, being that the purple press release was still to come. And the song sounded nothing like this one (which is better).

Anyway, the song is not bad, this guy may be a fraud, but if the song is his doing at least he's quite a musically skilled fraud. :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Lucien

« Reply #4715 on: June 18, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »
Well, that's the only definite clue we have on what the album is going to sound like, isn't it? :D

Actually, this guy posted another song earlier on claiming it to be a leaked song. The picture was the same but in black and white, being that the purple press release was still to come. And the song sounded nothing like this one (which is better).

Anyway, the song is not bad, this guy may be a fraud, but if the song is his doing at least he's quite a musically skilled fraud. :D

Well, if the song turns out to be true (The Clover?) I'll be in quite a bit of trouble :neverusethis:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4716 on: June 18, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
It's not :D Two weeks ago the guy posted another instrumental song (that now has been removed), which was completely different from this one. And there's only one instrumental on DTDT.

Plus, it's funny that people claiming to have a leaked album always fail to post a song with vocals. I just wonder why  :loser:
- Marco

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4717 on: June 18, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »
Yeah, that's somebody's take on Home. Definitely not DT.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4718 on: June 18, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
I remember some guy posting Slightly Out Of Reach on YouTube claiming it was a track from ADTOE. That was actually the first time I'd heard it, so I've gotta thank that guy.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4719 on: June 18, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
I remember that epic claimed leak that turned out to be a medley between a JR song from his 2004 solo album and Venice Burning from JLB's Mullmuzzler 2. The result was extremely cool!
- Marco

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4720 on: June 18, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
LOL Home 2.0

"Shiiiiiiiiine - lake of fiiiiyuuuaa"

Hmmm...actually fits!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #4721 on: June 18, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »
I really liked that song, even though it doesn't sound exactly like DT. And considering the same Youtube channel uploaded this video of a DT-inspired song made in ProTools (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdMDX6KFJTw) it's highly unlikely there's any validity to the "leaked" DT song. Both of these are really cool though. I hope this guy forms a band.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:51:49 PM by Lucidity »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4722 on: June 18, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
Has any DT music been leaked this early? Usually for bands, I see leaked thing a week or so ahead of the release date. I'm not too confident that this is legitimate.

That being said, there are some cool ideas in there.

Edit: Actually a good way to test this: just send a link to Jordan on YouTube or Twitter or something. If it's not real, there's a good chance he'll say so. He's said stuff like that in the past.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4723 on: June 18, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »
Well considering the album hasn't even been mixed yet, I'd say it's pretty unlikely it will leak anytime soon!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4724 on: June 18, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »
That is also a good point.  :lol