Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 842040 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #4025 on: June 08, 2013, 04:01:02 AM »
I also don't want another concept album.

I mean, if they do one, OK, but I'm certainly not rooting for one like some fans do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4026 on: June 08, 2013, 04:01:49 AM »
I know, and I agree with you. I just don't want another concept album. Honestly, the concept is, like, the worst part of SFAM there are many songs on there that really only work in the context of the album and the concept, but since I don't like the concept, that drags down SFAM quite a few placements for me. I don't want that to happen with DT12.

And I agree with you too. I don't want another concept album either, despite ranking SFAM an easy 2nd place. I was pointing out that an opener track isn't evidence towards a concept album. :tup

Like hef, I'm not against it, but I'm not in favour of one either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4027 on: June 08, 2013, 04:27:28 AM »
I really can't decide if I'd like this to be a concept album or not. I think it'd be cool to get something different again, but I can't say I prefer to just an ordinary album.

The absolute ultimate thing would be a double album. But I guess that's more or less out of the picture in light of the working tracklist and number of songs..

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4028 on: June 08, 2013, 04:48:55 AM »
I also don't want another concept album.

I mean, if they do one, OK, but I'm certainly not rooting for one like some fans do.
This, and if they do a concept album, I hope it will revolve around some similar lyrical themes instead of having a straightforward storyline.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4029 on: June 08, 2013, 05:04:36 AM »
I would rather have it revolve around recurrent musical themes than lyrical themes, but I agree that either would be better than a storyline.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #4030 on: June 08, 2013, 05:41:07 AM »
The absolute ultimate thing would be a double album. But I guess that's more or less out of the picture in light of the working tracklist and number of songs..
I understand your point of view, although I prefere few tracks but very deep and elaborate. I miss those days when each listen used to bring to the light a different and unexpected layer/aspect/detail of a song.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4031 on: June 08, 2013, 05:49:15 AM »
I would rather have it revolve around recurrent musical themes than lyrical themes, but I agree that either would be better than a storyline.

^ this times 1000!  I absolutely love it when bands go the whole hog with an overture, reprises and recurring musical themes. 
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #4032 on: June 08, 2013, 06:16:25 AM »

Why out of the picture? SDOIT consisted of six songs ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4033 on: June 08, 2013, 06:23:51 AM »

Why out of the picture? SDOIT consisted of six songs ;)

Considering the length, diversity, and split of SDOIT into movements, I'd say that would have been counted as separate songs on any such similar chart. It's a rare special case, I think.
I'd consider it unlikely that DT would be writing any super epics warranting a double album this time around.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4034 on: June 08, 2013, 08:44:01 AM »
The new DT opener might be the kind of thing that DT will use to open their shows too. The instrumental opener, followed by the second track, a full song.
Could be. According to the chart it only has piano, synth and lead guitar, so I'm guessing it's going to be some kind of solo playing from JP with soft backing from JR - something atmospheric maybe. Who knows though, really.

And I don't really understand why anybody would particularly either want or be against a concept album. I'm the same as Blob and hef - if that's what feels natural and they go with it, cool. If not, also cool.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline j

« Reply #4035 on: June 08, 2013, 09:17:46 AM »
And I don't really understand why anybody would particularly either want or be against a concept album. I'm the same as Blob and hef - if that's what feels natural and they go with it, cool. If not, also cool.

Sure, I think they should do what they want to do.  But as I'm generally not a big fan of concept albums, I'd probably be a bit skeptical if I heard they were making one.

-J

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #4036 on: June 08, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »

Sure, I think they should do what they want to do.  But as I'm generally not a big fan of concept albums, I'd probably be a bit skeptical if I heard they were making one.

-J

Yeah, I agree with this. It's that I'm on a crusade against concept albums, it's just that the great music of SFAM suffered from the subpar concept and I think that that would happen again.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4037 on: June 08, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »
  I just don't want another concept album. Honestly, the concept is, like, the worst part of SFAM there are many songs on there that really only work in the context of the album and the concept, but since I don't like the concept, that drags down SFAM quite a few placements for me. I don't want that to happen with DT12.

That is pretty standard with concept albums, and often what makes them more cohesive than the average album.  Those types of songs aren't supposed to be listened to on their own.  That would be like watching one scene from a movie and saying, "I don't like this scene cause it doesn't make sense outside of the context of the movie." 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #4038 on: June 08, 2013, 09:50:29 AM »
Of course, and that wouldn't be a problem if the concept were actually interesting.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #4039 on: June 08, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »
I doubt these are the actual song titles. Probably more of their "pet" names for them as usual.
Thanks,
Dave

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4040 on: June 08, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »

^ this times 1000!  I absolutely love it when bands go the whole hog with an overture, reprises and recurring musical themes.
That's what I like about Neal Morse's music/albums. His lyrics and themes show up throughout his entire discography.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4041 on: June 08, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
Of course, and that wouldn't be a problem if the concept were actually interesting.

Well yeah there is that issue with SFAM.

Offline me7

« Reply #4042 on: June 08, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »

I love concept albums but I don't care about the concepts. What I like about concept albums is how the music is glued together from start to finish. I like the effect it has on the music that the bands tries to push for some unifying concept. The concept itself doesn't matter to me much.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4043 on: June 08, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »
To me what makes SFAM a strong, cohesive album is the way the album is unified musically, not lyrically. I don't think the "concept" is that good either, and I couldn't really care less about lyrics, so that aspect isn't what enhances the experience for me. I don't think anyone likes SFAM primarily for its story/concept.

It's the musical side that enhances it. Musically, I don't think any other DT album kicks off better, with Regression > Overture > Strange Deja Vu > TMW > FT etc. Then there are the recurring themes throughout the album, and the Metropolis references. It ties together as an album. The lyrics could be about breakfast cereals for all I'd care!

It's that unified listening experience, and the way the album is greater than the sum of its parts, that makes people want another concept album, I think.
I think starting off with an "opener" that is more of an introduction to set the tone is a good way to help shape an "album" as opposed to merely a collection of songs. There are many other ways to help unify an album too, without needing to be a concept album. Just look at Awake, and the way it reuses little themes here and there. And despite not being one of DT's stronger albums, the way they unified Octavarium was a great idea too.

I don't want them to force another concept album. They should only do it if they have a great idea first, rather than just deciding "let's make another concept album" for the sake of it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4044 on: June 08, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
To me what makes SFAM a strong, cohesive album is the way the album is unified musically, not lyrically. I don't think the "concept" is that good either, and I couldn't really care less about lyrics, so that aspect isn't what enhances the experience for me. I don't think anyone likes SFAM primarily for its story/concept.

It's the musical side that enhances it. Musically, I don't think any other DT album kicks off better, with Regression > Overture > Strange Deja Vu > TMW > FT etc. Then there are the recurring themes throughout the album, and the Metropolis references. It ties together as an album. The lyrics could be about breakfast cereals for all I'd care!

It's that unified listening experience, and the way the album is greater than the sum of its parts, that makes people want another concept album, I think.
I think starting off with an "opener" that is more of an introduction to set the tone is a good way to help shape an "album" as opposed to merely a collection of songs. There are many other ways to help unify an album too, without needing to be a concept album. Just look at Awake, and the way it reuses little themes here and there. And despite not being one of DT's stronger albums, the way they unified Octavarium was a great idea too.

I don't want them to force another concept album. They should only do it if they have a great idea first, rather than just deciding "let's make another concept album" for the sake of it.

:heart

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline me7

« Reply #4045 on: June 08, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
...The lyrics could be about breakfast cereals for all I'd care!...
Well said ;D

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4046 on: June 08, 2013, 12:47:47 PM »
I honestly am indifferent if the album became a concept album. I do agree that SFaM had a poor concept, but that's just one concept gone wrong out of many great ones.

I mean, look at Clockwork Angels. AMAZING concept.

On other news, I just took the ACT today, and it's my birthday.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4047 on: June 08, 2013, 12:58:21 PM »
I honestly am indifferent if the album became a concept album. I do agree that SFaM had a poor concept, but that's just one concept gone wrong out of many great ones.

I mean, look at Clockwork Angels. AMAZING concept.

On other news, I just took the ACT today, and it's my birthday.

Ditto. To the ACT, I mean, not the birthday.

Happy Birthday, by the way.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4048 on: June 08, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »
Thank you.  ;D
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline weezul

« Reply #4049 on: June 08, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
still hoping for a track called "Dream Theater" so it can be Dream Theater - Dream Theater - Dream Theater. Sad times.
https://www.liamgaughan.com
--Production--Performance--Tuition--

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #4050 on: June 08, 2013, 04:58:59 PM »
Okay, regarding the midi. I'm trying to figure out the string of notes in the middle section of the midi grid. It's being extremely difficult to determine if there are triplets or not. I WILL be done with it within an hour or two. I promise!
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #4051 on: June 08, 2013, 06:58:43 PM »
The lyrics could be about breakfast cereals for all I'd care!

Metropolis Pt. 3: Bran Flakes & Golden Grahams

tracklist:
A Chex Mix to Remember
Bran helps my Passage
Quaker
The Shattered Fruit Loops
One Gigantic Oat Cluster
The Count of Chocula

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4052 on: June 08, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
Or Sesame Street.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4053 on: June 08, 2013, 07:21:50 PM »
Is there anyone who actually believes those are the real titles?

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #4054 on: June 08, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »
The midi is done!
There are a few things to note before listening to the midi: I transcribed each note based on what I saw within the snippet where they showed a midi grid of one of JR's keyboard sections in one of the new tracks. Since the video doesn't indicate the speed at which the song is played at, the bpm I applied might be completely wrong. This also goes for whether any sustain was used. so, I didn't bother adding any sustain. The biggest thing to note is that nearly the entire upper register of notes in the keyboard grid are missing from the video. So it is clearly going to sound choppy and incomplete at times.
So,...
Here is a 30 second midi file of the keyboard section from one of Dream Theater's new songs! -> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_N2BKOBrBNLMDFrSDFZQ0VRVjg/edit?usp=sharing
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4055 on: June 08, 2013, 07:43:09 PM »
That is really fucking cool. I get the feeling it'll be played a bit faster but I'm definitely very eager to hear the whole song.  :metal Thanks for doing that!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Pepe108

« Reply #4056 on: June 08, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »
Great job with the midi. Sounds promising.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4057 on: June 08, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »
Great job, man! :tup From the sound of things, I'm guessing Jordan's either playing a ragtime-influenced piano part there or he's using an orchestral sample for it. Either way, sounds KILLER. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Ad134

« Reply #4058 on: June 08, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »
That sounds surprisingly amazing, considering how it came to be! Amazingly well done. It's made me more excited for the album, actually.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4059 on: June 08, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »
a concept album needs to come organically and when they really want to do it. not because their fans really want one. can't force it