Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847113 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #3500 on: June 06, 2013, 08:45:29 AM »
I'm really interested in seeing if any fan names of the songs: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35334.0 actually end up being real
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline emtee

« Reply #3501 on: June 06, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »
Whole lotta ruckus about an album title. It doesn't affect the music in any way. Nor does the artwork.

Only the music matters.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #3502 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #3503 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:19 AM »

I really don't see DT naming an album that for hype. They're not that kind of band, and they're not in the position to need to do that at all. If it is self titled, they did it because they felt it warranted it. The problem is that imo no album aside from a debut warrants it.

I would say that if it were their last, and they knew it in advance and did something special for it, it would warrant it.

you heard it here first, DT12 will be their last album! :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3504 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:24 AM »
Hey! Guys! I think Blob dislikes self-titled albums!

Y'know, another reason I like the self-titled option is, honestly, the last few DT albums have had pretty unoriginal titles. Really, John seems to be in a stagnant place with his writing, where everything's so literal, and for the album and song titles it's really been no different. "A Dramatic Turn of Events"-- it describes *literally* what just happened to DT with MP leaving. "Black Clouds & Silver Linings"-- just like the songs on that album, heavy and moody with some mellow parts. "Systematic Chaos"-- a description of how Dream Theater sound that managed to be extremely wordy and bland at the same time. And so on. The last really good album title they had was "Octavarium".

I'm not trying to be disrespectul here, but over the past few years Dream Theater have got on DESPITE bad writing. Examples of good lyrics or wording or song titles are pretty sparse. Gone are the days where even the titles of Dream Theater albums themselves  - "Images and Words", "Scenes from a Memory", "Falling into Infinity" - can make you ponderous. It's been since SDOIT that I've listened to a DT album and come away feeling remotely thoughtful or challenged about a lyric.

Not really great for a band that's always kinda been part of the "thinking man's metal" thing.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3505 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »
How long now?

Should be 15 minutes.
Dayum just got back from college and make a fake cover before (if) they release the cover

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #3506 on: June 06, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »
inb4 nothing happens :/

Offline JPX

« Reply #3507 on: June 06, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
I hope it is self titled. Most of their album names sound like they went to a figurative language  generator on the internet. If we all brainstormed we could come up with a list of equally profound and poetic album names in a couple of minutes.
'Dream Theater' isn't lazy - it's clearly a a statement.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3508 on: June 06, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »

Fuck you too, Roadrunner. Don't startle me like that

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3509 on: June 06, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »

If nothing happens, then something happened.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3510 on: June 06, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »
Whole lotta ruckus about an album title. It doesn't affect the music in any way. Nor does the artwork.

Only the music matters.

Artwork and title mean a lot to me, personally.  It's part of the package and feel.  The artwork gives the music a visual element.  It can give the whole package a dark feel or a light and fluffy feel.  And the title is, well, the title.  I can really enhance the album if it's clever or epic, or give the album a lame feel if it's cheesy. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3511 on: June 06, 2013, 08:55:03 AM »

Only the music matters.

Artwork and title mean a lot to me, personally.  It's part of the package and feel.  The artwork gives the music a visual element.  It can give the whole package a dark feel or a light and fluffy feel.  And the title is, well, the title.  I can really enhance the album if it's clever or epic, or give the album a lame feel if it's cheesy.

This is mostly true. However I'm a synesthetic, so visualization comes naturally to me.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #3512 on: June 06, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »

If nothing happens, then something happened.

wow that was zen as shit right there! :azn:

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3513 on: June 06, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »
Not sure if this was posted earlier in the thread.  There's a lot of pages to sift through. 

Link: https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/dream-theater-album-20130605

Dream Theater - New Album 9/24!!!

Dream Theater—John Petrucci on guitar, John Myung on bass, James LaBrie on vocals, Jordan Rudess on keyboards and continuum, and Mike Mangini on drums—have announced that their eagerly anticipated new studio album will be released September 24: the first self-titled release in the band's nearly three-decade career.
[Dream Theater 2013] Dream Theater 2013

Dream Theater was recorded at Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York, with John Petrucci producing and studio luminary Richard Chycki (Aerosmith, Rush) engineering and mixing. The album marks a brilliant new chapter for the always adventurous band, their first to have been written and recorded with drummer Mike Mangini wholly integrated into the creative process from the start.

“I see every new album as an opportunity to start over,” says Petrucci. “To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We’re incredibly excited about Dream Theater and can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

Dream Theater will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 gram double LP, and a limited edition boxed set. Pre-orders are scheduled to launch in July at the Roadrunner Records Webstore.

Of course, Dream Theater will tour in support of the new album—full details will be announced soon. For up-to-the-minute news and information, please visit www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3514 on: June 06, 2013, 08:56:24 AM »
FUCK.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Flacracker

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3516 on: June 06, 2013, 08:57:53 AM »
So it's self-titled? Cool! :tup Also,
Quote from: JP
This is the first self-titled album of our career
There'll be more? :lol

Offline Dreamer81

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3518 on: June 06, 2013, 08:58:35 AM »
Dream Theater will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 gram double LP, and a limited edition boxed set. Pre-orders are scheduled to launch in July at the Roadrunner Records Webstore.

Well... I better save up some money over the next month for that pre-order in July!!! :tup
 :metal :metal :metal

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline liran95

« Reply #3519 on: June 06, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »
 :omg: :omg: :omg:

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #3520 on: June 06, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »
No tracklist! I'm sad. :(
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3521 on: June 06, 2013, 08:59:33 AM »
lol at the cake.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3522 on: June 06, 2013, 09:00:21 AM »

I wonder if Jordan feels left out because his hair isn't long anymore...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #3523 on: June 06, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »
FUCK.
:rollin
I don't even know what to say about it being self titled anymore lol. I don't even care! but at the same time, the fact that it's self titled is inherently ambitious. The cogs of the hype machine will be chattering away...

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3524 on: June 06, 2013, 09:00:40 AM »
Aside from their first album, I hate when bands self title an album :/

Offline JPX

« Reply #3525 on: June 06, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »
No tracklist! I'm sad. :(

I guess it would be cool to speculate but there is literally nothing that you can do with a tracklist. They are just words on a page.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3526 on: June 06, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
FUCK.
:rollin
I don't even know what to say about it being self titled anymore lol. I don't even care! but at the same time, the fact that it's self titled is inherently ambitious. The cogs of the hype machine will be chattering away...

Seriously, this better be the best damn album I have ever heard, because THAT is what decides if the album is a statement, not forgetting to name your album.
Gad, it even reads lamely. Dream Theater will be touring for Dream Theater etc etc.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #3527 on: June 06, 2013, 09:03:22 AM »
So no new info. Sucks. Balls.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline farsight

« Reply #3528 on: June 06, 2013, 09:03:53 AM »
DREAM THEATRE!!!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #3529 on: June 06, 2013, 09:04:14 AM »
Did anyone watch the video on the news page! "The guitar must sound like chocolate cake." LMAO

Not sure how thrilled I am about the album being self-titled though. I'll let the newness wear off on that.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #3530 on: June 06, 2013, 09:04:24 AM »
Told you guys, it's happening.  :)
Really excited about the videos from the studio, i hope there are a lot of them until the album releases.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #3531 on: June 06, 2013, 09:04:35 AM »
Anything new in the youtube clip? I can't watch because I'm at work.

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #3532 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:19 AM »
nothing new in the video but is awesome!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3533 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:41 AM »
Anything new in the youtube clip? I can't watch because I'm at work.

Not really. It's neat to see them in the studio together and talking about the album, but there's no hint of new music, as to be expected at this early stage.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3534 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »
Quite ballsy to make it a self-titled album, if you ask me.  It's like the band is making a statement and saying: "THIS is Dream Theater.  This is the most Dream Theater-esque album album we've ever released that we don't even need an album title.  It's just Dream Theater."

Wow.  Hope they live up to the bar they've set.