Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847907 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #3465 on: June 06, 2013, 07:04:39 AM »
Systematic Chaos is a cool name.

Hah, OK.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #3466 on: June 06, 2013, 07:18:06 AM »
You know the reason I have a bad taste in my mouth about self-titled albums? Bands always do that right after a significant member is replaced. Think about it:

Metallica - new bass player
Motley Crue - new vocalist
Van Halen (III) - new vocalist
Alice In Chains - first full album with new bass player

I'm sure there are many others, but I always get the sense the band is trying to say something like, "Hey, all that stuff before wasn't *really* us. NOW that we have this NEW guy, everything is right and complete, so we're going to re-iterate in the biggest way possible that THIS is the band, THESE are the *right* band members."

Not to mention the fact that most of the bands who do this end up firing or losing that very same member before the next album. Plus it's just lazy (like Blob said). You've written an entire albums with lyrics about things that are (hopefully) significant to you - and you can't pick something out of all that to signify the overall feel of the album? As much as I didn't like SC, I thought the title was cool because it really does represent what was happening with the music on that album. It was more all over the place than previous releases, but the chaos was controlled into the DT sound - it made sense.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:27:35 AM by WildeSilas »
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline eosforum

« Reply #3467 on: June 06, 2013, 07:18:38 AM »
I think it is quite a statement to have a self-titled album at this point in their carreer and that it's a big responsibility. They 'd better support this choice with a unique and fresh album because this title really raises the bar and cause high expectations...

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #3468 on: June 06, 2013, 07:25:31 AM »
Exactly - that too. Because everyone can say all day that Mangini is permanent and a good fit, yadda yadda (not saying he isn't permanent), but this album is largely an experiment because it's the fist time in nearly 15 years that they're bringing a new writer into the process. We all hope and assume that's going to work, but what if it doesn't? What if the reception is terrible? You've got your fans poo-pooing the album represented by your band name. I think that's the reason Motley Crue with Jon Corabi tanked so hard. The album itself wasn't bad at all - pretty good actually. But because of a new writer in the mix, it didn't sound anything like Motley Crue, and now they're forced to largely ignore that album and can't play anything from it live, despite Mick Mars and Nikki Sixx both claiming that it's their favorite Crue album. I just think it's a terrible idea all around at this point. Self-titled would have been more appropriate for either Octavarium or SC since the band was ending and beginning a significant phase of their career (20 years, new label, new direction, etc.)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #3469 on: June 06, 2013, 07:27:49 AM »
I think it is quite a statement to have a self-titled album at this point in their carreer and that it's a big responsibility. They 'd better support this choice with a unique and fresh album because this title really raises the bar and cause high expectations...

^ that.

I'm going to go on a limb and say something was lost in translation. there's no way it's self titled. It seems like such arrogance to me, and almost an indirect "f-you" to Portnoy even (a bit of a stretch I know...). The scope of their style over the years is wide and volatile, you only need to compare any 2 DT albums to identify drastic differneces . out of the hours and hours of diverse music they have produced over 20+ years, there's no way this is going to be 70 minutes of music that is definitive DT. It's not self titled...

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #3470 on: June 06, 2013, 07:31:04 AM »
Exactly - that too. Because everyone can say all day that Mangini is permanent and a good fit, yadda yadda (not saying he isn't permanent), but this album is largely an experiment because it's the fist time in nearly 15 years that they're bringing a new writer into the process. We all hope and assume that's going to work, but what if it doesn't? What if the reception is terrible? You've got your fans poo-pooing the album represented by your band name. I think that's the reason Motley Crue with Jon Corabi tanked so hard. The album itself wasn't bad at all - pretty good actually. But because of a new writer in the mix, it didn't sound anything like Motley Crue, and now they're forced to largely ignore that album and can't play anything from it live, despite Mick Mars and Nikki Sixx both claiming that it's their favorite Crue album. I just think it's a terrible idea all around at this point. Self-titled would have been more appropriate for either Octavarium or SC since the band was ending and beginning a significant phase of their career (20 years, new label, new direction, etc.)

I think you're overestimating the creative input of the drummer in DT. MM definitely has less say in the overall direction of the album than MP, and even MP didn't have that much of a musical input, he was more involved in making the song structures and some vocal melodies.

Having Petrucci as a producer, and strong musicians like JM, JR and MM (and JLB in the vocal department) should erase these fears. I don't think that JP and the guys would make the desicion to have a self titled album if they weren't sure about the quality of the music.

And let's be honest, i don't think that DT are bold enough to experiment with their sound to a large degree, so i think that the DT sound we know and love will still remain the same.

^ that.

I'm going to go on a limb and say something was lost in translation. there's no way it's self titled. It seems like such arrogance to me, and almost an indirect "f-you" to Portnoy even (a bit of a stretch I know...). The scope of their style over the years is wide and volatile, you only need to compare any 2 DT albums to identify drastic differneces . out of the hours and hours of diverse music they have produced over 20+ years, there's no way this is going to be 70 minutes of music that is definitive DT. It's not self titled...

The article said about a self-titled album, i can assure you. I don't think the album title would be lost in the translation...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:36:15 AM by nikatapi »

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #3471 on: June 06, 2013, 07:33:58 AM »
Oh totally. I agree with everything you've said. I just worry when a new member legitimately starts being involved in the writing process that anything the fans hate will by laid at his feet, whether it should be or not. Part of the anticipation for this album is to see exactly how much influence MM has had on the way the songs are written and sound, no matter how minor. It's a new thing because of that, which is why it's at least a little risky/ballsy to self-title it.

On the other hand, they've had really good judgment in the past, and if they're confident enough in the music to warrant self-titling the album, then more power to them.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #3472 on: June 06, 2013, 07:41:33 AM »
The article said about a self-titled album, i can assure you. I don't think the album title would be lost in the translation...

I would suggest the possibility that no album title was revealed in the interview and that "self titled" was misconstrued or misinterpreted. I dunno, I don't even linguistics, bro!
I'm still not taking this as any form of confirmation of a self-titled album :P although now that I have been thinking about it, self-titled could mean "this is the new dream theater", "a fresh start/sound", or something to that effect. It's a big statement nonetheless.

Offline JRuivo

« Reply #3473 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »
I actually had a dream once where the new album was called "Dream Theater" and the tracklist was simply 5 or 6 songs named "Dream Theater I", "Dream Theater II", etc. Between each track there were tracks simply called "Interlude", with a duration of something like 40-50 seconds, all written by John Myung  :o

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3474 on: June 06, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
Gosh, dudes, we're on page 99. Since they're almost finished with being in studio, I'd suggest using the original DT12 thread when that is over: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=34945.0
But that one has been dead for months and has a horrible title to boot, to stay on the subject.  :P

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #3475 on: June 06, 2013, 07:50:52 AM »
placing my bet right now, it won't be self-titled.  atmyne is right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3476 on: June 06, 2013, 07:52:37 AM »

I would suggest the possibility that no album title was revealed in the interview and that "self titled" was misconstrued or misinterpreted. I dunno, I don't even linguistics, bro!
I'm still not taking this as any form of confirmation of a self-titled album :P although now that I have been thinking about it, self-titled could mean "this is the new dream theater", "a fresh start/sound", or something to that effect. It's a big statement nonetheless.
Well, you know what, I'm glad they're making big statements. If there was ever a time to put some guts on display instead of making "just another Dream Theater album", it's today. And if getting a self-titled album out is a part of that statement, then it's fine. If the album flops, to the majority of people it doesn't really matter which title will it be. It would be a disappointment to me personally because it would show me and DT are not on the same wavelength anymore.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #3477 on: June 06, 2013, 07:53:12 AM »
I'm quite progressive-oriented, and since I'm craving for change I really hope that MM will bring new sounds to the band, that hasn't explored significantly new musical terrains in years IMO.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3478 on: June 06, 2013, 07:53:59 AM »
I don't think it's going to be self-titled, as I read that statement, and he never actually says "new DT album is self titled".

I BELIEVE NOTHING UNTIL THE BAND CONFIRMS IT!!!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #3479 on: June 06, 2013, 07:56:16 AM »
People are already complaining without an official statement :lol
Can't wait for the meltdowns once it is official :hat

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #3480 on: June 06, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »
Anyone else refreshing DT.net every few minutes?  :loser:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3481 on: June 06, 2013, 07:58:20 AM »

Well, you know what, I'm glad they're making big statements. If there was ever a time to put some guts on display instead of making "just another Dream Theater album", it's today. And if getting a self-titled album out is a part of that statement, then it's fine. If the album flops, to the majority of people it doesn't really matter which title will it be. It would be a disappointment to me personally because it would show me and DT are not on the same wavelength anymore.

If the band wants to make a bold statement, they do it with their music, not by telling us "we're making a statement" (which is basically what a self titled album is trying to do). It's like a cheap way of making a statement without actually making a statement. It's so empty. Just let the music speak for itself. If the album isn't just another album, then we don't need to be told so.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline liran95

« Reply #3482 on: June 06, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Maybe JP meant that the new album is named after him! "John Petrucci" by dream . :metal

Offline novenpeter

« Reply #3483 on: June 06, 2013, 08:03:37 AM »
Another longest hour to wait. My heart is already beating like hell

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3484 on: June 06, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »
To a certain extent, I don't care what they call it.  But I'm not crazy about a self-titled album at this point - it would have made more sense with the last album.

But I don't want a typical prog-wanker title either, like The Misty Isles of Doom, or Menagerie of Nightmares, or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.  To me, a self-titled album would be preferable to that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3485 on: June 06, 2013, 08:06:42 AM »
I'm just going to wait and listen. Thursday has finally come. If it's a self-titled album, then so be it.

ADToE was the writing of the band without Mangini, therefore it is a transition between BC/SL and DT12. BC/SL was more metal, and ADToE was less metal more progressive. I could imagine this album being EXTREMELY progressive, causing another fan schism.

Sorry heavy metal fans, you might not like this new album.

I really wouldn't mind having another 20 minute song.

The time is now again.... - ceiling unlimited
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #3486 on: June 06, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »

If the band wants to make a bold statement, they do it with their music, not by telling us "we're making a statement" (which is basically what a self titled album is trying to do). It's like a cheap way of making a statement without actually making a statement. It's so empty. Just let the music speak for itself. If the album isn't just another album, then we don't need to be told so.

The album title is essentially "information" about the album. At the end of the day, i don't care if the album and track titles were in some indecipherable form of windings! but its a statement about the music, and I think the problem comes down to, at least from my perspective, is whether it's a self titled album to generate hype and increase sales (to grow on the previous success of the previous album, and we know how successful that was given the circumstances), which clearly has less integrity than being the self titled album BECAUSE it truly is their most ambitious, and musically innovative triumphant masterpiece etc.
So to what extent is this marketing, or to what extent is it justifiable to call this the self titled album?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:15:55 AM by atmyne »

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3487 on: June 06, 2013, 08:14:56 AM »
I translated a comment on the article:

Υπάρχει επίσημη πηγή για τις παραπάνω πληροφορίες?

No official source for the above information?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3488 on: June 06, 2013, 08:15:25 AM »
The album title is essentially "information" about the album. At the end of the day, i don't care if the album and track titles were in some indecipherable form of windings! but its a statement about the music, and I think the problem comes down to, at least from my perspective, is whether it's a self titled album to generate hype and increase sales (to grow on the previous success of the previous album, and we know how successful that was given the circumstances), which clearly has less integrity than being the self titled album BECAUSE it truly is their most ambitious, and musically innovative triumphant masterpiece etc.

I really don't see DT naming an album that for hype. They're not that kind of band, and they're not in the position to need to do that at all. If it is self titled, they did it because they felt it warranted it. The problem is that imo no album aside from a debut warrants it.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #3489 on: June 06, 2013, 08:21:54 AM »
I really don't see DT naming an album that for hype. They're not that kind of band, and they're not in the position to need to do that at all. If it is self titled, they did it because they felt it warranted it. The problem is that imo no album aside from a debut warrants it.
Yes! so are they really "not that kind of band" anymore (given the dynamics of the modern music industry)? are they really "not in the position to need" or want to do that at all? is it really warranted? the general consensus is no, and so absolutely it comes down to whether it is warranted, and I think therein lies the risk(s) they are taking.
But we're getting ahead of ourselves! it hasnt even been confirmed self titled yet  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3490 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »
Yes! so are they really "not that kind of band" anymore (given the dynamics of the modern music industry)? are they really "not in the position to need" or want to do that at all? is it really warranted? the general consensus is no, and so absolutely it comes down to whether it is warranted, and I think therein lies the risk they are taking.
But we're getting ahead of ourselves! it hasnt even been confirmed self titled yet  :lol

Well yes, there is that *minor* detail. :lol
I have a sinking feeling it's going to be true though, so I'm just trying to accept the worst case scenario in advance to soften the blow. :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3491 on: June 06, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Well, Led Zeppelin did 4 self-titled albums in a row, as did Peter Gabriel...

I agree with you on Peter Gabriel, but how do you figure Led Zeppelin?  The debut was self-titled, but the next two were Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III.  Those are their official titles and are distinct from the debut, so I wouldn't consider them self-titled.  It was not uncommon for bands to use Roman numerals like that in those days (Van Halen, Chicago, etc.)  The title of the fourth album is actually the four runes.  It is often called "Led Zeppelin IV" because it's easier to say and catalogue, or sometimes "Zoso" because one of the runes kinda looks like the word "zoso".  There is no writing anywhere on the outside or inside jacket, but on the record label itself, there is "Led Zeppelin", and the four runes where the title of the album would normally go.  Similarly, the fifth album has no writing anywhere on the outside or inside jackets, but was always shipped with a paper band saying Houses of the Holy, and it says Houses of the Holy on the label.  The later albums all have pretty obvious titles.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3492 on: June 06, 2013, 08:32:37 AM »
Just popping in to say that I'm so pumped for the press release (if it's DT) and new album cycle. Bring it on :metal

:)

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3493 on: June 06, 2013, 08:36:59 AM »
If the music's good I couldn't give less of a shit about the title.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3494 on: June 06, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »

:tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3495 on: June 06, 2013, 08:40:11 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hacko

« Reply #3496 on: June 06, 2013, 08:42:56 AM »

Most definitely.  :corn

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3497 on: June 06, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
How long now?

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #3498 on: June 06, 2013, 08:45:15 AM »
Yep! totally agree. but for those who do, I would caution not to get too hype based on names. The names have never been an indicator of the stylistic direction of the music, and the same could be said about the track lengths really...
:corn
:corn

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: June 06, 2013, 08:45:17 AM »
How long now?

Should be 15 minutes.