Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848458 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #3115 on: June 03, 2013, 12:32:40 PM »
I can't say I'd be sad if that wasn't the album cover :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #3116 on: June 03, 2013, 12:36:56 PM »
Possible new DT album cover:

It was in Hugh Syme's portfolio and it doesn't really say anything about it.
Hahahaha - I did that before BCSL!! I found the Black Clouds cover a couple of weeks before it was officially released. When SC was revealed, we later found it had been on mendolaart for a little while. Did the same thing two years later, and... ha!

I kept the secret. Partly cos I didn't want to be "that guy," but also cos I quite liked knowing something nobody else knew. Title and everything. That said, I think that looks rather more like his commercial work. Plus, BCSL turned up with a logo and title all over it.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #3117 on: June 03, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »
I'd say it could be booklet artwork so the sequel to These Walls -- the workers are building the wall back up, after they were broken, or tore down. :neverusethis:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3118 on: June 03, 2013, 12:51:58 PM »
Well, things can really only go up from the clown.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3119 on: June 03, 2013, 12:56:08 PM »

Looks like a King Crimson cover to me, doesn't feel like DT.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3120 on: June 03, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
It's pretty slopilly down regardless of what it is-- the rocks just kinda fade into the smooth tunnell wall in a jarring, phoney way, and the water up against the rocky wall looks bad, too. But most of Syme's recent work, including DT stuff, has been pretty sloppy.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:26:59 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3121 on: June 03, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
I'd say it could be booklet artwork so the sequel to These Walls -- the workers are building the wall back up, after they were broken, or tore down. :neverusethis:

No, it's a sequel to BMU, BMD called "Build Me Up Again".   :lol

But yea, that looks more of booklet art.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #3122 on: June 03, 2013, 01:49:17 PM »
If you go to the website where this picture has been taken - https://altpick.com/hughsyme - (which is not his official one, btw) you'll see that there's a pic of a snake, right after this one, resembling the shape of a colon, while the walls of this pic resemble the inside of a colon (maybe damaged by some IBD - lol). My point is that they may belong to the same idea, which I think there's nothing DT related.
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3123 on: June 03, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
Actually, that IS the album cover.  The album's called "Construction Time Again".   :lol
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #3124 on: June 03, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
I like the one with the two hands around the clock thing, with a ferris wheel faded in the background. Does that belong to anything?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3125 on: June 03, 2013, 02:24:12 PM »
I like the one with the two hands around the clock thing, with a ferris wheel faded in the background. Does that belong to anything?

Clockwork Angels album booklet art for Carnies.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline JPX

« Reply #3126 on: June 03, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »

LOL. Exactly why I had a DTF member photoshop that clown out of the album cover for iTunes. It was a horrendous design choice.

Why can't DT be progressive in their approach of album design. Do you know how many amazing young graphic artists/painters/photographers there are out there - yet they choose these awful Syme designs time after time.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3127 on: June 03, 2013, 02:42:15 PM »

LOL. Exactly why I had a DTF member photoshop that clown out of the album cover for iTunes. It was a horrendous design choice.

Why can't DT be progressive in their approach of album design. Do you know how many amazing young graphic artists/painters/photographers there are out there - yet they choose these awful Syme designs time after time.

Lol you made me imagine my graduate school sister making an album cover for Dream Theater

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3128 on: June 03, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »
A lot of people here seem to hold FII in high regard because it has the most songs and assume that the new album will be the better the more songs it has.

I consider FII to be one of their weakest albums and I think that the large amount of short songs is just an expression of the lack of inspiration they had back then. Trying many different things but most of them not properly fleshed out.
Yeah, with FII, less would have really been more.

Which is why I've always kinda been amused by MP's idea that the album was bad because the label wouldn't let them do a double album. Even though most of the outtakes are better than songs which actually made the record, listening to the FII demos in their entirety is an absolute chore, so I have a hard time believing that better production and mastering alone would make them that much better. .

I couldn't disagree more.  And MP's main problem was the label/producer interference in the songs themselves, not a desire to do a double album.  The only reason they had so much material for the album in the first place is because the label wouldn't let them go into the studio to record the album, so they just kept writing songs.

Offline JPX

« Reply #3129 on: June 03, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »

Lol you made me imagine my graduate school sister making an album cover for Dream Theater

Ha - even a high school rendering would probably be a fresher take than what we've had the past few albums.

And while there are many established artists out there, I mentioned young just because there are scores out there who would do amazing work and are looking to make a name for themselves and promote their style. They'd also be more affordable cause I imagine getting Mars-1 or Doze Green to do your album cover ain't cheap.

Offline krands85

« Reply #3130 on: June 03, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »

Is nobody going to put 'Dream Theater' in the classic font on that, with a realistic sounding album title?  ;D

I actually quite like that image, but not sure how it'd look as the cover. Though it doesn't really bother me too much, the only DT album cover I really like is 8VM. I generally prefer fan made ones - the ADTOE thread for that had some great designs.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3131 on: June 03, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »
It's pretty slopilly down regardless of what it is-- the rocks just kinda fade into the smooth tunnell wall in a jarring, phoney way, and the water up against the rocky wall looks bad, too. But most of Syme's recent work, including DT stuff, has been pretty sloppy.
I don't agree at all, unless it's supposed to look realistic, in which case yeah it's sloppy. But I feel fairly confident that it is meant to be fairly surrealist, in which case I really like it, more so than any of Syme's album covers for DT!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3132 on: June 03, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »

Is nobody going to put 'Dream Theater' in the classic font on that, with a realistic sounding album title?  ;D

I actually quite like that image, but not sure how it'd look as the cover. Though it doesn't really bother me too much, the only DT album cover I really like is 8VM. I generally prefer fan made ones - the ADTOE thread for that had some great designs.

Very true.

Offline JPX

« Reply #3133 on: June 03, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »

Snuggets

Offline emtee

« Reply #3134 on: June 03, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
^That's kind of interesting. Hmmm...

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3135 on: June 03, 2013, 03:24:27 PM »
We haven't taken the direction (tunnel) of a concept album in a long time, let's polish it up?

Offline TL

« Reply #3136 on: June 03, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »

That's more like it.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3137 on: June 03, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »
 :lol :rollin :lol

Offline Ad134

« Reply #3138 on: June 03, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »

Like this?

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #3139 on: June 03, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
Could it be called "the hole that james dug"
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3140 on: June 03, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
If that is an ear channel, are those people removinc apocalypctic mind debris?  :justjen
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline robwebster

« Reply #3141 on: June 03, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »

No, but I am going to put massive black bars on it, squash the DT font a little bit, add a snarky and unrealistic album title and make sure all text is stylistically off-centre.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3142 on: June 03, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »
That's more like it.  Except that I think it should be titled "rebirth."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3143 on: June 03, 2013, 04:57:44 PM »

Which is why I've always kinda been amused by MP's idea that the album was bad because the label wouldn't let them do a double album. Even though most of the outtakes are better than songs which actually made the record, listening to the FII demos in their entirety is an absolute chore, so I have a hard time believing that better production and mastering alone would make them that much better. .

I couldn't disagree more.  And MP's main problem was the label/producer interference in the songs themselves, not a desire to do a double album. 

True, but almost all of the changes made by the producer were either for the better or made the song no worse.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3144 on: June 03, 2013, 05:02:02 PM »
omg

There needs to be a shovel somewhere in the book artwork

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3145 on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »

Like this?

:clap:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3146 on: June 03, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »
I wouldn't want it to be the new DT cover, but it's honestly not as bad as you're all making it out to be.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3147 on: June 03, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »

Looks like the ContruKtion guys from the early 2000s King Crimson covers working on the Looney Tunes tunnel.

I sincerely hope this isn't the cover art for DT12.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #3148 on: June 03, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »

:rollin  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3149 on: June 03, 2013, 07:23:08 PM »
 :rollin

I should send that to my friend and make him believe that is really the album cover and title.