Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847809 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #3045 on: June 01, 2013, 05:10:52 PM »
So no Paul Northfield this time.

It should at least sound different to ADToE then.

If I am remembering correctly, Northfield didn't mix ADToE either. I believe it was Andy Wallace.

Mangenius' math brain should make the album sound much different anyways
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3046 on: June 01, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »
I thought Northfield *engineered* ADToE.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3047 on: June 01, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »
I thought Northfield *engineered* ADToE.

Did he? Maybe he did. My memory is quite fallible at times.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3048 on: June 01, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3049 on: June 01, 2013, 06:35:03 PM »
I must admit, I'm somewhat unclear on the technical differences between engineering and mixing.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3050 on: June 01, 2013, 06:52:04 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the new album has the same amount of songs as Falling Into Infinity for the circle to continue?

FII - 11 songs
SFAM - 12 songs, 9 scenes
SDOIT - 6 songs
ToT - 7 songs
Octavarium - 8 songs
SC - 7 songs
BC&SL - 6 songs
ADTOE - 9 songs
DT12 - 11 songs?

It has been said already, but I refuse to accept any theory that marks Octavarium as the pinnacle of the band's career.

Though it would be nice to have something around 11 songs.
I consider this whole theory a running joke. It's hilarious how perfect this has been, despite it being a massive coincidence.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3051 on: June 01, 2013, 06:54:58 PM »
I must admit, I'm somewhat unclear on the technical differences between engineering and mixing.
They both have ways to affect the final product's sound, although one could argue the mixing is a larger factor on the album's final sonic product. The engineering mostly focuses on the way things are recorded and the mixing is changing levels of tracks to reflect an overall general sound of a song/album.

Disclaimer: I realized I have really simplified these processes, to avoid writing more than one sentence.

EDIT: My apologies to the mods for the double-post.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3052 on: June 01, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
They both have ways to affect the final product's sound, although one could argue the mixing is a larger factor on the album's final sonic product. The engineering mostly focuses on the way things are recorded and the mixing is changing levels of tracks to reflect an overall general sound of a song/album.

Disclaimer: I realized I have really simplified these processes, to avoid writing more than one sentence.

EDIT: My apologies to the mods for the double-post.

I see. Thank you, I think I have gained a portion of understanding.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3053 on: June 01, 2013, 07:10:26 PM »
What Quagmire said.

A producer will tell the engineer how to make it sound and doesn't always have any technical ability at the desk.

The Engineer is basically a knob-twiddler and operates the desk and adds the FX like reverb etc. Plus technical stuff like compression.

Mixing is basically making every drum on the kit sound level, making the bass sit with the drums. making the rhythm guitars a nice level to the bass etc etc.

Mastering is taking that final mix and adding final overall compression and EQ  to the Left and Right stereo mix to give it a bit of sheen and punch.

:)

Some guys do everything like Chris Sheldon ( therapy? )

Whilst some people are just producers who use trusted engineers ( Bob Rock & Randy Staub )

And some people are just producers who do next to fuck all and take all the credit at the end.

( Rick Rubin & i'm assuming the plethora of rap producers who despite working with a huge team of people,  make it sound like it was knocked

up in 5 minutes in cubase. :lol )

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3054 on: June 01, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
Meh. I kinda wonder why DT keep going for these guys. I mean, Clockwork Angels was a pretty good album, but it surely didn't sound great. But there's DT for you, using the guy Rush just used, regardless of whatever :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3055 on: June 01, 2013, 07:39:10 PM »
Let's hope that DT never adopt Rush's work ethic.

Ha. Rush. How ironic. Five albums in 20 years :lol

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3056 on: June 01, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »

It's obvious they're slowing down

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3057 on: June 01, 2013, 09:33:57 PM »
With 20 albums that seems a well-earned luxury I would think.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3058 on: June 01, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
I consider this whole theory a running joke. It's hilarious how perfect this has been, despite it being a massive coincidence.

I'm with RMV - giggity.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #3059 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:59 AM »

If I am remembering correctly, Northfield didn't mix ADToE either. I believe it was Andy Wallace.

Yeah Andy Wallace did the mix, Northfield was the engineer.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3060 on: June 02, 2013, 04:19:09 AM »

Mangenius' math brain should make the album sound much different anyways

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #3061 on: June 02, 2013, 04:44:49 AM »
What Quagmire said.

The Engineer is basically a knob-twiddler and operates the desk and adds the FX like reverb etc. Plus technical stuff like compression.

Well no, there's a huge amount more in engineering than that. You need to get microphone placement correct amongst other things, and that takes a bloody age usually. There's a lot of twanging whatever, deciding that it needs more of something or other, moving the microphone and re-iterating the entire process. Yes, the engineer is also the one who works the knobs, but there's a ton more to it than just that.

Mixing is also where a lot of tweaking with putting effects such as reverb, filters and EQ in, not just getting the levels right. Even if the levels are "right", you can still have one thing trampling over everything or being trampled over if you don't apply the correct stuff to it in the mixing stage. Mixing takes a hell of a lot of practice to get right, and has the potential to be horribly influenced by what room or kit the mixer uses.

It's especially un-simple in prog, where different sections of a single song have the potential to require vastly different mixes. I remember around the time Spock's Beard released X, one of the Beard guys saying that getting everything to change the right amount at the right rate between sections of longer songs meant that mixing a thirty second transition took roughly the same amount of time as an entire five minute song of a more straightforward nature.

The technical side of music is just as, if not even more complex and difficult than the writing and playing it.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3062 on: June 02, 2013, 04:52:31 AM »

Take 6 years out of that 20 for Neils souls searching after loosing his daughter and wife in a 9 month period.  We as fans were lucky Rush even came back.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3063 on: June 02, 2013, 06:42:33 AM »

DT can only hope to have Rush's work ethic once they are all in their 50s.  It is foolish to suggest that Rush doesn't have an incredible work ethic.  Except for the hiatus from the summer of 1997-the end of 2000 (they started writing and recording Vapor Trails at the beginning of '01), which was understandable considering what Neil Peart went through, Rush has worked almost non-stop for 40 years.  Good luck finding another band who has had their work ethic for that many years.  DT's work ethic has been pretty stellar, too, for over 20 years now, but they still have a long way to go before they can touch Rush's.

As for five albums in 20 years, it is technically six if you count Feedback (from 1993-2012), and besides, the guys are pushing 60 and yet Clockwork Angels is better than anything DT has released in the last 10 years, IMO.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3064 on: June 02, 2013, 06:47:51 AM »
Clockwork Angels is better than anything DT has released in the last 10 years, IMO.
Yup. Not to rag on Octavarium fans, "metal" era fans or ADTOE fans, but I completely agree with this. And I'm a pretty casual Rush fan.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3065 on: June 02, 2013, 06:56:43 AM »
Clockwork angels is fantastic, but it still doesn't beat A Dramatic turn of events.  ;D

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3066 on: June 02, 2013, 07:03:38 AM »
Haven't heard Clockwork Angels yet (saving the best to the last... I hope so  ;)), but I prefer Snakes & Arrows to anything DT has done since... um, Awake.

And I don't think DT is able to put out an album every second year when the guys are on their sixties.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: June 02, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »
Just as long as they don't turn into TOOL who take a minimum of 5 years between albums and each time promise that the next album will be out sooner and take even longer than before.

I don't see them ever taking 5 years or more to make an album as they're not as financially comfortable yet as some bigger bands who can do that. It's still their livelihood and I think they'll want a few albums with mangini under their belt before they slow down.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3068 on: June 02, 2013, 08:04:50 AM »

DT can only hope to have Rush's work ethic once they are all in their 50s.  It is foolish to suggest that Rush doesn't have an incredible work ethic.  Except for the hiatus from the summer of 1997-the end of 2000 (they started writing and recording Vapor Trails at the beginning of '01), which was understandable considering what Neil Peart went through, Rush has worked almost non-stop for 40 years.  Good luck finding another band who has had their work ethic for that many years.  DT's work ethic has been pretty stellar, too, for over 20 years now, but they still have a long way to go before they can touch Rush's.

As for five albums in 20 years, it is technically six if you count Feedback (from 1993-2012), and besides, the guys are pushing 60 and yet Clockwork Angels is better than anything DT has released in the last 10 years, IMO.
JLB is 50 I think.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3069 on: June 02, 2013, 08:17:26 AM »
And Jordan is mid 50's by now !

Both the john's are still mid 40 so they'll be able to play a while longer.

I don't know if playing Keyboard will be that much of a strain on rudess as he gets older.

He may switch to more touch sensitive keys that are easier to shred on.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3070 on: June 02, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »
Clockwork Angels is better than anything DT has released in the last 10 years, IMO.
Yup. Not to rag on Octavarium fans, "metal" era fans or ADTOE fans, but I completely agree with this. And I'm a pretty casual Rush fan.

I love Octavarium, but you can't really beat the title track. I turn by headphones all the way up so 0:31 blasts my ears out, I get goosebumps, and I explode.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3071 on: June 02, 2013, 08:56:02 AM »

I explode.

Sounds dangerous....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3072 on: June 02, 2013, 08:58:39 AM »
JLB is 50 I think.

And?  The guys in Rush are 59, 59 and 60, and they have toured now four years in a row.  That is a serious work ethic there.  If DT can still do that when the average member age is 59, then we can talk. ;)

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3073 on: June 02, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »

I don't know if playing Keyboard will be that much of a strain on rudess as he gets older.

He may switch to more touch sensitive keys that are easier to shred on.

He can use that instrument full time where he just glides his fingers back and forth.  But then his shoulder will give out. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3074 on: June 02, 2013, 09:15:02 AM »
Soon enough Jordan will only play on his iPad
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3075 on: June 02, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »
Clockwork angels is fantastic, but it still doesn't beat A Dramatic turn of events.  ;D
Agreed. However, I (a casual Rush fan) also think Rush have a great work ethic - they still play double sets (and have played them for many, many years) despite being even older than the DT guys.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3076 on: June 02, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the new album has the same amount of songs as Falling Into Infinity for the circle to continue?

FII - 11 songs
SFAM - 12 songs, 9 scenes
SDOIT - 6 songs
ToT - 7 songs
Octavarium - 8 songs
SC - 7 songs
BC&SL - 6 songs
ADTOE - 9 songs
DT12 - 11 songs?

It has been said already, but I refuse to accept any theory that marks Octavarium as the pinnacle of the band's career.

Though it would be nice to have something around 11 songs.

Yea, but I'll take 11 new Dream Theater songs.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3077 on: June 02, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »
JLB is 50 I think.

I thought we were talking about frequency of albums released, not years touring.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3078 on: June 02, 2013, 02:12:36 PM »
I hope they release a 24/96 version of the songs with the album and not months later.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3079 on: June 02, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »
A lot of people here seem to hold FII in high regard because it has the most songs and assume that the new album will be the better the more songs it has.

I consider FII to be one of their weakest albums and I think that the large amount of short songs is just an expression of the lack of inspiration they had back then. Trying many different things but most of them not properly fleshed out.