Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847778 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #2870 on: May 24, 2013, 05:38:21 AM »
I don't believe anyone is actually impressionable enough to base their opinion on the band's opinion. It's just one of those empty defenses to me. I thought Space Dye Vest was a borefest long before I ever knew MP's feelings on it (I wouldn't agree that most fans adore it anyway).

Well, I KNOW I've mentioned SDV and MP's dislike of it in the same breath here at DTF but honestly?  It wasn't MP's opinion about it that molded mine.  Like Blob, I formed my opinion about it well before I knew what MP's opinion was.

And most fans aren't as in the know as us DTF'ers are to the point of reading forums and knowing how each member feels about a song/album. Coming back to YNM, I can't say I've gotten the indication that its reputation is any higher in the general fanbase than it is here specifically.
I do agree that it doesn't deserve such hate (it's far too average to warrant such a negative reaction), but I don't see that MP plays into this one bit. People make up their own minds.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2871 on: May 24, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »
Agreed with the current opinions being voiced. In the example of FII, people had always hated on it. Only after the strong (and unfair) reaction from fans did the band (or at least MP) come out with how they were against how the record turned out.

Likewise, John P has stated at different points in time that he felt both Octavarium and Systematic Chaos were the best DT albums, so obviously fans don't just agree with whatever the band say  :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2872 on: May 24, 2013, 08:04:16 AM »
Every album is the greatest thing the band has ever done, according to the band, while it's being made and after its release.  They're thrilled with the results, and know the fans will be, too.  You know the drill.

Then a little time goes by and the excitement wears off, and some fans aren't thrilled with the results, and someone in the band says "Yeah well the label blah blah blah, and we really want to blah blah blah, but I guess blah blah blah".

And let's face it; many fans have strong enough opinions, but many are sheep.  Everyone says the one song sucks, so it must suck.  Didn't you hear?  It's not what the band even wanted to do.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2873 on: May 24, 2013, 08:14:40 AM »
Agreed with the current opinions being voiced. In the example of FII, people had always hated on it. Only after the strong (and unfair) reaction from fans did the band (or at least MP) come out with how they were against how the record turned out.

Yeah, when I got it, I had no idea what the band thought about it, and I did NOT like it at first.  I had gotten Images back in 1992.  And while I liked it a lot, I never bothered continuing to follow the band.  I heard bits and pieces here and there, including hearing parts of A Change Of Seasons.  But my next DT album wasn't until SFAM.  After Scenes, I went back to fill in the back catalog.  I loved I&W and SFAM.  I ordered Awake and FII from Amazon at the same time, so I got them together.  Listened to Awake first.  Loved it (with the exception of CIAW and SDV).  Listened to FII, and my reaction was, "oh...oh, wow.  This is...not very good."  It took me a little while to learn to appreciate it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2874 on: May 24, 2013, 09:02:45 AM »
FII is the only Dream Theater album I can't listen to. There's great songs on it for sure, but there's so many bad ones (and they're *really* bad), that I always wind up skipping them or turning the record off.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2875 on: May 24, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »
I think the good songs on FII make up for the not-as-good ones.

Trial Of Tears
Hell's Kitchen
Lines In The Sand

Peruvian Skies
Hollow Years
New Millenium ( I like it ).

Bolded = some of DT's best material.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2876 on: May 24, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »
FII is the only Dream Theater album I can't listen to. There's great songs on it for sure, but there's so many bad ones (and they're *really* bad), that I always wind up skipping them or turning the record off.
This.  I got it on release day and was sorely disappointed.  It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, even though it has some of the best songs in their catalogue.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #2877 on: May 24, 2013, 11:03:23 AM »
I've always loved it.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2878 on: May 24, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »
FII is probably the album that's grown on me the most. The only tracks I skip now are YNM and TAMP. New Millennium is one of my favourite opening tracks on any DT album!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2879 on: May 24, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
WDADU is the only album i've not heard due to it's reputation.

I think i started listening to track 1 once but gave up almost immediately due to the quality of the song and the production and the fact that it's not Labrie on vocals.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2880 on: May 24, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
You should force yourself to listen, there's some brilliant stuff on that album.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2881 on: May 24, 2013, 11:47:35 AM »
You should force yourself to listen, there's some brilliant stuff on that album.
This.

FII is good, but certain songs drag it down and make it #8 in my album ranking.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2882 on: May 24, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »
I personally don't think you're missing anything at all by avoiding WDADU, but I do think every DT album deserves a decent chance to really make up your own mind. And that means at least one listen through the entire album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2883 on: May 24, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
This.  I got it on release day and was sorely disappointed.  It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, even though it has some of the best songs in their catalogue.

I got it on release day, too, but loved it right away. It sure helped that the opening keyboard line of Lines in the Sand had my jaw in the floor. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I think i started listening to track 1 once but gave up almost immediately due to the quality of the song and the production and the fact that it's not Labrie on vocals.

Those were hurdles for me at first, too, but once I heard the live versions of several of the songs on Live at the Marquee, I was then able to enjoy WDADU more, and I still think it is better than several of their albums from the 00s.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2884 on: May 24, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

If you want to give it a try, try to get the remastered version. The original release is a really bad master that makes some songs sound cheap and annoying.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2885 on: May 24, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »

If you want to give it a try, try to get the remastered version. The original release is a really bad master that makes some songs sound cheap and annoying.
Both versions are bad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline me7

« Reply #2886 on: May 24, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »
Both are bad, but the original is way worse.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2887 on: May 24, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
I actually love FII, not sure what you could make of that lol

Offline TL

« Reply #2888 on: May 24, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
I actually love FII, not sure what you could make of that lol
FII is a great album.
I didn't get into DT until years after it had been released, and had no idea what the general opinions on FII were when I first heard it. I've always gotten the impression that the more negative opinions of the album were very much a 'you had to be there' kind of thing that would have made more sense back in 1997.

As for WDADU, I've always felt that it's a collection of good to great songs, but with bad sound production and the wrong singer (nothing against Charlie, his voice is just more suited to other styles of music). I really wish they'd re-recorded it when James joined the band, but I understand why they wouldn't, and it's certainly possible that they actually couldn't. At least we have some good live versions of some of the songs.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2889 on: May 24, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
I love FII (it's my mom's favorite album) with the exception of the weaker tracks (You Not Me, Anna Lee). But even those are listenable.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #2890 on: May 24, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »
I love FII (it's my mom's favorite album) with the exception of the weaker tracks (You Not Me, Anna Lee). But even those are listenable.
I wish my mom had a favorite DT album :lol
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2891 on: May 24, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »
I wish my mom had a favorite DT album :lol
Lol yeah I got my parents into them, they're in their late 50's.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2892 on: May 24, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »
Yeah, FII is probably my dad's favourite album. He loves TAMP, but he doesn't know what the song is about. He likes YNM as well.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2893 on: May 24, 2013, 02:21:55 PM »
About WDADU:

You can either get all the band's official live albums, and you'll have a majority of the album with JLB on vocals (and some of those live versions are kick ass).

Or you can get When Dream and Day Re-Unite, a YTSEJam album, which is the entire album performed live in 2004, plus a couple of bonus songs.
While the debut album isn't everyone's bag, there are at least a couple of songs, depending on your taste, that you shouldn't miss out on.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2894 on: May 24, 2013, 02:34:55 PM »
Ytse Jam (it's a jam), The Killing Hand, and Only A Matter of Time are amazing.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2895 on: May 24, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »
FII and SC are my wife's favorites
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2896 on: May 25, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
I distinctly remember several instances of my mother and I jumping round the kitchen to various DT albums. I think Octavarium and ToT are her favourites.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2897 on: May 25, 2013, 08:30:57 AM »
I still think it is better than several of their albums from the 00s.

Songwriting wise without question. You could even make an argument the lyrics are less corny too.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #2898 on: May 25, 2013, 10:31:18 AM »
FII is probably my third favorite DT album.  Right behind SFAM and SDOIT

Offline j

« Reply #2899 on: May 25, 2013, 11:01:26 AM »
Only I&W and Awake are *definitively* better as albums than FII.

SFAM, SDOIT, and ADTOE are all similar in quality; possibly better than FII, but if so not by much.

-J

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2900 on: May 25, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
I'd put FII above SC & BC&SL

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2901 on: May 25, 2013, 11:44:09 AM »

And the effects that drugs have had on your generation really make me sad.

:D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: May 25, 2013, 11:48:12 AM »
I rank FII 5 or 6 places above Awake.
:dealwithit:

I'd put it 4th behind only SDOIT, SFAM, and IaW.

And I've forgotten why we're even discussing FII, but I don't care. :lol

Offline me7

« Reply #2903 on: May 25, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »
FII is probably my third favorite DT album.  Right behind SFAM and SDOIT
Only I&W and Awake are *definitively* better as albums than FII.

SFAM, SDOIT, and ADTOE are all similar in quality; possibly better than FII, but if so not by much.

-J

I better stay out of this thread for a few pages, otherwise I'll say some offensive things that might get me banned...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2904 on: May 25, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
And I've forgotten why we're even discussing FII, but I don't care. :lol
Because in this thread you must discuss EVERYTHING BUT the upcoming DT album :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise