Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848158 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #2835 on: May 22, 2013, 09:33:43 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #2837 on: May 22, 2013, 10:45:36 AM »
Anna Lee is great.  If I remember right, Portnoy said it was too tied to Derek to continue playing live, like SDV was to Kevin.  Whether the current members feel that way, who knows.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2838 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
At least JP pointed out that it wasn't completely written by Derek in the 5YIALT commentary, but I don't know whether the current members care about that song nowadays, or at least enough to play it live.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #2840 on: May 22, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
If I saw DT play Anna Lee live, that would be my bathroom break song, even if I didn't have to pee

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2841 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »
I don't mind Anna Lee, but I kinda wish it had been cut from the album to make room for Speak To Me.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2842 on: May 22, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
I don't mind Anna Lee, but I kinda wish it had been cut from the album to make room for Speak To Me.

You know... I'd be okay with this!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2843 on: May 22, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
Anna Lee is much better than Speak To Me. I can't say I like any of the cut songs from FII all that much. The only one I'd say is ok is RTK, and even that is pretty average.

And I'd like to hear Anna Lee live. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2844 on: May 22, 2013, 12:38:40 PM »
Meh...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2845 on: May 22, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »
Anna Lee :heart Speak to Me is great, but they should have cut New Millenium and re-arranged the track order instead of cutting Anna Lee, if they wanted to change anything at all. FII is pretty darn perfect as it is, anyway.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2846 on: May 22, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
Anna Lee is average, at best.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2847 on: May 22, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
It's an OK song, but I overlook it a lot. When I feel like listening to some DT ballads I usually put on something else...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #2848 on: May 22, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
Sorry, wrong post. Carry on.
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2849 on: May 22, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »

It took me a while to realize you were talking about To Live Forever. xD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2850 on: May 22, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
It's an OK song, but I overlook it a lot. When I feel like listening to some DT ballads I usually put on something else...
Pretty much anything else. It never did anything for me. If they were to bust out one of their more obscure ballads on the next tour, and I mean obscure in terms of the number of live performances over the years, they better go with Space-dye vest.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2851 on: May 22, 2013, 03:44:37 PM »
Well, that's a given for me  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2852 on: May 22, 2013, 04:24:56 PM »
If I saw DT play WAnna Pee live, that would be my bathroom break song, even if I didn't have to pee

Fix'd

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #2853 on: May 22, 2013, 06:03:35 PM »

It took me a while to realize you were talking about To Live Forever. xD

Yeah, I signed in while on the TLF thread and ended up here for some reason, haha.
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2854 on: May 22, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
On 2000 one of my best friends got married and used Anna Lee as the wedding song. Didn't expect that. It was a nice surprise.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2855 on: May 22, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
I already miss the Q and A's.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2856 on: May 23, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »
I don't love Anna Lee, but I don't hate it.  Jordan can add some leads to it, spice it up like they did Surrounded, it would be a lot better.

DT are so unpredictable live, I would never walk away during a song for fear I would miss something unique.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2857 on: May 23, 2013, 03:58:33 AM »
Parts of Hell's Kitchen have been played, but the song itself has not been.  You Not Me, Anna Lee and Take Away My Pain have all not been played, IIRC. That is 4/11, which = nearly half of FII. ;)

I don't consider 36% to be "nearly half".  I'd call it "more than a third", maybe.   :P

-You Not Me:  Let's face it, the amount of people who actually like this song, both inside and outside the band, is relatively small.  There isn't really any kind of serious demand for this song.

I'm championing a live rendition of the demo version You Or Me.  I mentioned this to Portnoy at a M&G on the Progressive Nation tour, especially since his FII Official Bootleg liner notes talk about bringing it back. So that attempt didn't work out for me.  I really am the small faction wanting to build a groundswell for this song.   

Offline Yazman

« Reply #2858 on: May 23, 2013, 04:03:28 AM »
I like You Not Me. I think it's a cool song. I don't get the hate, really.

Also, I can vouch for Hollow Years being played. I was at the Black Clouds & Silver Linings tour in 2009 in Brisbane, Australia and they played Hollow Years. And actually, it was the strength & beauty of that performance that got me listening to not only Hollow Years a lot, but FII as a whole.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:11:10 AM by Yazman »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2859 on: May 23, 2013, 04:54:22 AM »

So this.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2860 on: May 23, 2013, 08:20:17 AM »
I'm championing a live rendition of the demo version You Or Me.  I mentioned this to Portnoy at a M&G on the Progressive Nation tour, especially since his FII Official Bootleg liner notes talk about bringing it back. So that attempt didn't work out for me.  I really am the small faction wanting to build a groundswell for this song.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2861 on: May 23, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »

So this.
Mike Portnoy hated it, so all the fans went like OMG SUCH A CRAPPY SAWNG! As most of FII, which we know wasn't made by Portnoy's standards.

Of course, there are people who legitimately don't like it and that' fine; but I see that song as a standard radio rock-pop tune which isn't necessarily bad.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2862 on: May 23, 2013, 09:37:32 AM »
Yeah. It's problem is that it's on a VERY strong album and therefore naturally somewhat falls to the weaker end, but it's still better than New Millennium and Just Let Me Breathe, which are the low points of FII for me, and even the latter is decent. YNM isn't really bad at all, it's just... nothing really exciting.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2863 on: May 23, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »

So this.
Mike Portnoy hated it, so all the fans went like OMG SUCH A CRAPPY SAWNG! As most of FII, which we know wasn't made by Portnoy's standards.

Of course, there are people who legitimately don't like it and that' fine; but I see that song as a standard radio rock-pop tune which isn't necessarily bad.
I didn't dislike You Not Me that much until I heard You Or Me. You Or Me's chorus sounds like something DT would write, and frankly I think it's a ton catchier.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2864 on: May 23, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
Portnoy also expressed his indifference (or maybe even disliking) towards Space-dye vest, yet most of the fans absolutely adore it.

It would be a shame if fans immediately decided they didn't like something if the band didn't like what they did. If that were the case, I'd hate Atom heart mother like some Pink Floyd members. Musicians can be very hard on themselves sometimes...

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2865 on: May 23, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »
If I saw DT play Anna Lee live, that would be my bathroom break song, even if I didn't have to pee

WORD.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2866 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:15 PM »
Portnoy also expressed his indifference (or maybe even disliking) towards Space-dye vest, yet most of the fans absolutely adore it.

It would be a shame if fans immediately decided they didn't like something if the band didn't like what they did. If that were the case, I'd hate Atom heart mother like some Pink Floyd members. Musicians can be very hard on themselves sometimes...

And Rush fans would hate everything Rush did before Permanent Waves.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2867 on: May 23, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
Eh, Neil Peart is the only of the three to not have great love for most of Rush's 1970s material.  And honestly, I think it's because he doesn't look back with fondness on the type of lyrics he wrote in their early days.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2868 on: May 24, 2013, 01:17:42 AM »

I don't believe anyone is actually impressionable enough to base their opinion on the band's opinion. It's just one of those empty defenses to me. I thought Space Dye Vest was a borefest long before I ever knew MP's feelings on it (I wouldn't agree that most fans adore it anyway).

And I'm pretty sure any dislike for FII (and YNM) also started well before anyone knew MP's feelings on it. To be fair, YNM is an average song at best (and I mean by general standards, not by DT standards). It's not that bad, but at best it's still a bottom DT song, even if MP had said it's the greatest song ever written. And I'm probably one of the biggest FII fans here.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2869 on: May 24, 2013, 05:28:38 AM »
I don't believe anyone is actually impressionable enough to base their opinion on the band's opinion. It's just one of those empty defenses to me. I thought Space Dye Vest was a borefest long before I ever knew MP's feelings on it (I wouldn't agree that most fans adore it anyway).

Well, I KNOW I've mentioned SDV and MP's dislike of it in the same breath here at DTF but honestly?  It wasn't MP's opinion about it that molded mine.  Like Blob, I formed my opinion about it well before I knew what MP's opinion was.