Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848430 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #2800 on: May 20, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »
Um, to continue the multi-thread spanning "I dreamed of DT's new vid"-posts, I just remembered I dreamed of something this morning. In an otherwise really weird dream, I ran across JLB and MM in the main street of my town across a now defunct metal bar. They asked me to take them to the location where there new vid was filmed, which was somewhere in the park. MM was smiling very broadly at me and asking random passerbyes even more random questions. When I lead them to the location, JLB called me a great kid and gave me a kiss on the cheek and I blushed profusely :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2801 on: May 20, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »
Was there a wheelbarrow?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2802 on: May 20, 2013, 06:27:02 PM »
Sadly there were no wheelbarrows but I have vague memories of talking about the CSI filter being a thing.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2803 on: May 20, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2804 on: May 20, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »
wait... so you lead them from Serbia to California? :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2805 on: May 20, 2013, 08:15:42 PM »
There are times when I miss the 70's and 80's, when bands were hot and they would put out an album a year and sometimes 2 in
a single year. New music is like a drug. This modern approach (while good for bands with families) seems so slow.

Can you give examples of some of these bi-annual releases you reference?

Fly By Night and Caress of Steel by Rush were both released in '75.
Pretty sure Buckethead has everyone beat. These are his albums and the years they were released.

1992: Bucketheadland
    1994: Giant Robot
    1996: The Day of the Robot
    1998: Colma
    1999: Monsters and Robots
    2001: Somewhere Over the Slaughterhouse
    2002: Funnel Weaver
    2002: Bermuda Triangle
    2002: Electric Tears
    2003: Bucketheadland 2
    2004: Island of Lost Minds
    2004: Population Override
    2004: The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell
    2005: Enter the Chicken
    2005: Kaleidoscalp
    2005: Inbred Mountain
    2006: The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock
    2006: Crime Slunk Scene
    2007: Pepper's Ghost
    2007: Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot
    2007: Cyborg Slunks
    2008: Albino Slug
    2009: Slaughterhouse on the Prairie
    2009: A Real Diamond in the Rough
    2009: Forensic Follies
    2009: Needle in a Slunk Stack
    2010: Shadows Between the Sky
    2010: Spinal Clock
    2010: Captain Eo's Voyage
    2010: 3 Foot Clearance
    2011: It's Alive
    2011: Empty Space
    2011: Underground Chamber
    2011: Look Up There
    2012: Electric Sea
    2012: Balloon Cement
    2012: The Shores of Molokai
    2012: Racks
    2012: March of the Slunks
    2012: The Silent Picture Book
    2013: Pike 11
    2013: Pike 12
    2013: Pike 14
    2013: Pike 15
    2013: Pike 13
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2806 on: May 20, 2013, 08:17:52 PM »
Yeah, but it's Buckethead.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2807 on: May 20, 2013, 08:23:13 PM »
Anxiously waiting for news.

I recently obtained SDoIT in the mail. :D

Here's something to chew on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9csZ5fr-3s
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: May 20, 2013, 11:29:34 PM »
Not the greatest bass sound in the world.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2809 on: May 20, 2013, 11:29:55 PM »

It's clear- NO band is as good as Dream Theater at 1, coming out with new albums consistently and 2, playing ALL songs live (literally every song from every album is on the possible-to-hear list when you see DT, which is absolutely astounding.

Number 1 is not true.

Neither is number 2, since DT does not play ALL of their songs.  Heck, nearly half of the songs from Falling into Infinity have not been played since Jordan Rudess joined the band 14 years ago.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2810 on: May 20, 2013, 11:39:02 PM »

It's clear- NO band is as good as Dream Theater at 1, coming out with new albums consistently and 2, playing ALL songs live (literally every song from every album is on the possible-to-hear list when you see DT, which is absolutely astounding.

Number 1 is not true.

Neither is number 2, since DT does not play ALL of their songs.  Heck, nearly half of the songs from Falling into Infinity have not been played since Jordan Rudess joined the band 14 years ago.

Is it really true about FII? Let's count:

New Millenium has been played lots on the ToT tour. You Not Me hasn't been played. Peruvian Skies has appeared on the 8V and ADTOE tours numerous times. Hollow Years was included in the ToT and BC&SL tours quite a bit. Burning My Soul was a regular on the SDOIT tour, and it was the '96 version which has parts of Hell's Kitchen, the end of which also appears in Instrumedley with appeared on the SDOIT and TOT tours. LITS was a regular in 2002 and 2007-2008. TAMP I'm not sure about. JLMB appeared on the 8V tour more than a few times. Anna Lee hasn't been played. Trial of Tears was a regular in 2004, not sure about since. More than half the album has been played regularly for one or more tours since JR joined. Assuming none of this is misinformation, otherwise my post was useless. :lol

• EB
« Reply #2811 on: May 20, 2013, 11:42:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure they play Peruvian Skies every time they're in Peru... I mean, they're kinda obligated to right? haha
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2812 on: May 20, 2013, 11:42:30 PM »
Parts of Hell's Kitchen have been played, but the song itself has not been.  You Not Me, Anna Lee and Take Away My Pain have all not been played, IIRC. That is 4/11, which = nearly half of FII. ;)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2813 on: May 20, 2013, 11:44:33 PM »
Parts of Hell's Kitchen have been played, but the song itself has not been.  You Not Me, Anna Lee and Take Away My Pain have all not been played, IIRC. That is 4/11, which = nearly half of FII. ;)

Oops, didn't catch the 'nearly', haha.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2814 on: May 21, 2013, 01:49:58 AM »
New Millennium - 1997-8, 2002, 2004
You Not Me - January 1998 (three times IIRC)
Peruvian Skies - 1996-1998, 1999-00, maybe 02, 04, 04-06, 10 (once), 11
Hollow Years - 1999-00, 02-03, 04, 09-10
BMS - 1997-98, 96,02 ('96)
Hell's Kitchen - 1998 (four or five times, acoustic shows)
Lits - 96-98, 02, 07-08
TAMP - 96-98
Anna Lee - 1998
Trial Of Tears - 1997(?)-1998, 2004

They have all been played. :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2815 on: May 21, 2013, 02:00:25 AM »
They have all been played. :D
But not with Jordan, which is what Kev meant.

Going back to the Awake discussion, playing SDV (in every show, not just some one-off gig because otherwise I wouldn't see it) would be a good idea to celebrate the anniversary - it will have been 20 years, FFS! ;D

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2816 on: May 21, 2013, 02:08:23 AM »
Oh, I guess I didn't read as many posts as I should have :D If so, yes, only NM, PS, HY, parts of H'sK, LITS, JLMB and TOT.  :blush
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2817 on: May 21, 2013, 02:45:54 AM »
Going back to the Awake discussion, playing SDV (in every show, not just some one-off gig because otherwise I wouldn't see it) would be a good idea to celebrate the anniversary - it will have been 20 years, FFS! ;D
My life would be complete :heart

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2818 on: May 21, 2013, 03:48:26 AM »
Welcome to five pages ago. :lol
I know, but I saw it starting up again, so I thought I'd chime in. hahaha  :lol

;)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2819 on: May 21, 2013, 08:53:59 AM »

I don't consider 36% to be "nearly half".  I'd call it "more than a third", maybe.   :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2820 on: May 21, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »

I don't consider 36% to be "nearly half".  I'd call it "more than a third", maybe.   :P

Exactly.  And the examples given don't really further the argument anyway because:
-Hell's Kitchen:  As pointed out, it has been partially played, and on more than one tour.  The fact that the original hasn't been played from start to finish in awhile isn't really an issue.  It's been played.
-You Not Me:  Let's face it, the amount of people who actually like this song, both inside and outside the band, is relatively small.  There isn't really any kind of serious demand for this song.
-Take Away My Pain:  I really want to see this, but while it hasn't been played since Jordan joined, it has been played live.  There are only so many ballads the band can really play live, so I get that some may be sparse rotation.  It's time for this one to come back.  But, again, it's not like they've never played it.  They have.
-Anna Lee:  Really, this is the only song where I truly see a valid argument.  They should try to bring this one out.  But, again, the problem still exists that there are only so many ballads you can put into a live set, and they have so many good ballads (maybe "slow song" is a better term than "ballad," but you get where I'm coming from) that I can understand this one being overlooked. 

But really, DT do an exceptional job of reaching deep into the catalog to play the vast majority of their songs.  They always have.  Just because there may be a few exceptions does not take away from that.

• EB
« Reply #2821 on: May 21, 2013, 12:34:46 PM »

Exactly.  And the examples given don't really further the argument anyway because:
-Hell's Kitchen:  As pointed out, it has been partially played, and on more than one tour.  The fact that the original hasn't been played from start to finish in awhile isn't really an issue.  It's been played.
-You Not Me:  Let's face it, the amount of people who actually like this song, both inside and outside the band, is relatively small.  There isn't really any kind of serious demand for this song.
-Take Away My Pain:  I really want to see this, but while it hasn't been played since Jordan joined, it has been played live.  There are only so many ballads the band can really play live, so I get that some may be sparse rotation.  It's time for this one to come back.  But, again, it's not like they've never played it.  They have.
-Anna Lee:  Really, this is the only song where I truly see a valid argument.  They should try to bring this one out.  But, again, the problem still exists that there are only so many ballads you can put into a live set, and they have so many good ballads (maybe "slow song" is a better term than "ballad," but you get where I'm coming from) that I can understand this one being overlooked. 

But really, DT do an exceptional job of reaching deep into the catalog to play the vast majority of their songs.  They always have.  Just because there may be a few exceptions does not take away from that.
Nail on the head. Couldn't have said it better myself.  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2822 on: May 21, 2013, 07:27:27 PM »
I'd be glad if they never brought Anna Lee back, to be honest...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2823 on: May 21, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »

Semantics aside ;), it is obvious that DT has done a great job over the years of covering most of their songs live, but it is overstating it to say that every DT song is a possibility to hear live at any show you go to.  It wasn't that case when Portnoy was in the band, and it is certainly not that way now.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2824 on: May 21, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »

wut
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

• EB
« Reply #2825 on: May 21, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »
Does anyone think JP is recording his new solo album while they're recording DT12?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2826 on: May 21, 2013, 11:36:17 PM »
There are times when I miss the 70's and 80's, when bands were hot and they would put out an album a year and sometimes 2 in
a single year. New music is like a drug. This modern approach (while good for bands with families) seems so slow.

Can you give examples of some of these bi-annual releases you reference?

Fly By Night and Caress of Steel by Rush were both released in '75.
Pretty sure Buckethead has everyone beat. These are his albums and the years they were released.

1992: Bucketheadland
    1994: Giant Robot
    1996: The Day of the Robot
    1998: Colma
    1999: Monsters and Robots
    2001: Somewhere Over the Slaughterhouse
    2002: Funnel Weaver
    2002: Bermuda Triangle
    2002: Electric Tears
    2003: Bucketheadland 2
    2004: Island of Lost Minds
    2004: Population Override
    2004: The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell
    2005: Enter the Chicken
    2005: Kaleidoscalp
    2005: Inbred Mountain
    2006: The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock
    2006: Crime Slunk Scene
    2007: Pepper's Ghost
    2007: Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot
    2007: Cyborg Slunks
    2008: Albino Slug
    2009: Slaughterhouse on the Prairie
    2009: A Real Diamond in the Rough
    2009: Forensic Follies
    2009: Needle in a Slunk Stack
    2010: Shadows Between the Sky
    2010: Spinal Clock
    2010: Captain Eo's Voyage
    2010: 3 Foot Clearance
    2011: It's Alive
    2011: Empty Space
    2011: Underground Chamber
    2011: Look Up There
    2012: Electric Sea
    2012: Balloon Cement
    2012: The Shores of Molokai
    2012: Racks
    2012: March of the Slunks
    2012: The Silent Picture Book
    2013: Pike 11
    2013: Pike 12
    2013: Pike 14
    2013: Pike 15
    2013: Pike 13

How about Frank Zappa, Miles Davis, and John Zorn? Zappa is close to 100 official releases as of 2013, Miles released massive amounts of music, and Zorn has who-knows how many albums by now.

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #2827 on: May 22, 2013, 01:21:37 AM »
Anxiously waiting for news.

I recently obtained SDoIT in the mail. :D

Here's something to chew on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9csZ5fr-3s

THIS is the real deal, amazing rhytmic work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPu5jOB69T8

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2828 on: May 22, 2013, 01:35:51 AM »
Agreed. It's not a bad song, but doesn't really do anything to me. They could use that time to play some better ballad.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2829 on: May 22, 2013, 06:33:46 AM »

wut

I didn't stutter.

Agreed. It's not a bad song, but doesn't really do anything to me. They could use that time to play some better ballad.

Exactly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2830 on: May 22, 2013, 06:50:42 AM »
They would need to re do Anna Lee somehow, similar to what they did with Hollow Years, taking the FII version from a Bottom 15 to a Live At Budokan version going to a Top 15.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2831 on: May 22, 2013, 06:51:53 AM »
That'd be kind of difficult, don't you think?  I mean, it IS Anna Lee after all...

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2832 on: May 22, 2013, 07:08:07 AM »
That'd be kind of difficult, don't you think?  I mean, it IS Anna Lee after all...

:sadpanda:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2833 on: May 22, 2013, 07:17:39 AM »
 :xbones

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2834 on: May 22, 2013, 09:32:51 AM »
Anna Lee is fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.