Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848501 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #2765 on: May 20, 2013, 02:04:04 AM »
Assuming "The Woodshed" is what he calls the room that holds his guitar collection... that is a BAD ASS NAME.
Or.....he's been working so hard he hasn't 'been' with his wife in ages and 'the woodshed' is code for bedroom?

Yeah, That's what I'd call me and my wife's bedroom too..

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2766 on: May 20, 2013, 03:05:06 AM »
JLB finished his vocals for ADTOE back in April.
No, he didn't.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2767 on: May 20, 2013, 05:42:36 AM »
I thought they were aiming for a September release date?  With this update that means there is a lot more studio time.  I think we will see it more like November even December.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2768 on: May 20, 2013, 06:20:08 AM »
Considering JLB finished his vocal tracks May 26th, they're only a couple of weeks behind the ADTOE timetable (I guess finishing vocal tracks will take a couple of weeks starting now)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2769 on: May 20, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »
There are times when I miss the 70's and 80's, when bands were hot and they would put out an album a year and sometimes 2 in
a single year. New music is like a drug. This modern approach (while good for bands with families) seems so slow.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2770 on: May 20, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »
There are times when I miss the 70's and 80's, when bands were hot and they would put out an album a year and sometimes 2 in
a single year. New music is like a drug. This modern approach (while good for bands with families) seems so slow.

Yeah, but those albums also contained about half as much music. 

Offline JPX

« Reply #2771 on: May 20, 2013, 09:59:37 AM »

Can you give examples of some of these bi-annual releases you reference?

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2772 on: May 20, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »
Well actually, the term "Woodshed" comes from Charlie Parker, who would practice his music in his woodshed.

:blob: :millahhhh
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2773 on: May 20, 2013, 10:13:09 AM »

A few off the top of my head...

Beatles
Zeppelin
Alice Cooper
Judas Priest
CCR
Queen
David Bowie
Greatful Dead

Offline JPX

« Reply #2774 on: May 20, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »

A few off the top of my head...

Beatles
Zeppelin
Alice Cooper
Judas Priest
CCR
Queen
David Bowie
Greatful Dead

Fair enough. Some of those guys were more prolific than others. I think in general though those frequent releases happen earlier in a bands career. When you've been around for 20+ years, you don't, and probably shouldn't be releasing material that often. I get what you mean though about doing so when in your groove. When you're turning out great material, you should run with it.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #2775 on: May 20, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
also, van halen...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2776 on: May 20, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2777 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »
Assuming "The Woodshed" is what he calls the room that holds his guitar collection... that is a BAD ASS NAME.
Or.....he's been working so hard he hasn't 'been' with his wife in ages and 'the woodshed' is code for bedroom?

:lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2778 on: May 20, 2013, 11:28:29 AM »

nice use of... Timmy's dad :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2779 on: May 20, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
Considering JLB finished his vocal tracks May 26th, they're only a couple of weeks behind the ADTOE timetable (I guess finishing vocal tracks will take a couple of weeks starting now)

Good point.  I honestly don't get people bitching about how long things are taking - wasn't that the problem with SC and BC/SL?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2780 on: May 20, 2013, 12:23:34 PM »
DT consistently bring out an album every two years. We know it's coming out this year so we don't really have much to complain about.

Not like we're waiting for a new Metallica or Tool CD !

:biggrin:

• EB
« Reply #2781 on: May 20, 2013, 12:26:52 PM »
DT consistently bring out an album every two years. We know it's coming out this year so we don't really have much to complain about.

Or Symphony X..
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2782 on: May 20, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »
Welcome to five pages ago. :lol

• EB
« Reply #2783 on: May 20, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »
Welcome to five pages ago. :lol
I know, but I saw it starting up again, so I thought I'd chime in. hahaha  :lol

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2784 on: May 20, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »

Or Symphony X..

or Styx...

well if we're starting it up again..  :lol

oh and-
also, van halen...
..and Kiss.
first 9 Styx albums came out each one year apart, but Styx II and Serpent is Rising both came out in '73. But we have to remember that many of these albums we're referencing are less than half the size of DT albums in length  :o

It's clear- NO band is as good as Dream Theater at 1, coming out with new albums consistently and 2, playing ALL songs live (literally every song from every album is on the possible-to-hear list when you see DT, which is absolutely astounding.

Styx only plays songs from 8 of their 14 albums, four of which they play only ONE song from EVER anymore.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2785 on: May 20, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »
It's clear- NO band is as good as Dream Theater at 1, coming out with new albums consistently and 2, playing ALL songs live (literally every song from every album is on the possible-to-hear list when you see DT, which is absolutely astounding.
I'm hoping SDV won't be left out of that list in the future ;) and also some unreleased tracks EHM FII DEMO MATERIAL, SOMETIMES, ON A SEMI-ACOUSTIC GIG JAMES SOMETIMES TALKS ABOUT AND, YOU KNOW, EVE.

But there are also "regular" songs that aren't really likely to be played again, like You Not Me and stuff like that that wasn't really popular or that didn't work too well live (New Millennium comes to mind, according to JLB), some less popular WDADU songs, and also the entirety of the AA suite will not likely be done without MP, and The Best Of Times probably won't be done without MP, and you can't bet on any of their mega-epics in full length without them playing longer show.

What DT do is amazing and I can't think of any other band that puts the majority of their catalog into consideration for live shows, and I won't even mention DT used to completely rotate setlists and play double shows for years, since having an A and B setlist (with minor tweaks between them) that change substantially for each separate leg of the tour, as they do now, is awesome enough, but to say they would take into consideration anything they released for a regular show on a regular tour is a bit of a miscalculation.

Just me being a pedantic asshole :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2786 on: May 20, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
I'm hoping SDV won't be left out of that list in the future ;) and also some unreleased tracks EHM FII DEMO MATERIAL, SOMETIMES, ON A SEMI-ACOUSTIC GIG JAMES SOMETIMES TALKS ABOUT AND, YOU KNOW, EVE.

But there are also "regular" songs that aren't really likely to be played again, like You Not Me and stuff like that that wasn't really popular or that didn't work too well live (New Millennium comes to mind, according to JLB), some less popular WDADU songs, and also the entirety of the AA suite will not likely be done without MP, and The Best Of Times probably won't be done without MP, and you can't bet on any of their mega-epics in full length without them playing longer show.

What DT do is amazing and I can't think of any other band that puts the majority of their catalog into consideration for live shows, and I won't even mention DT used to completely rotate setlists and play double shows for years, since having an A and B setlist (with minor tweaks between them) that change substantially for each separate leg of the tour, as they do now, is awesome enough, but to say they would take into consideration anything they released for a regular show on a regular tour is a bit of a miscalculation.

Just me being a pedantic asshole :biggrin:

and even after being so petty, considering the way they've pulled stuff out before, we have no reason to believe that none of those demos (btw not even on an album- I said "every song on every album") won't be played again, because they just might. And I tend to believe (and REALLY hope) that one day I will see Light the Fuse and Getaway live. And they do things for albums' anniversaries too, which makes it even more possible. Even if you're right, like let's say it was only Portnoy who pushed for playing obscurities, compare playing every song on every album minus 5 or 6 to only playing songs that made it on the radio..

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2787 on: May 20, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
DT will be on tour for the year of Awake's 20th, do you you think they will celebrate it in some way? I sure hope so, it would be awesome to hear LSOAD, Voices, or even SDV if they decided to play it. :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2788 on: May 20, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
DT will be on tour for the year of Awake's 20th, do you you think they will celebrate it in some way? I sure hope so, it would be awesome to hear LSOAD, Voices, or even SDV if they decided to play it. :lol

They should play the entire thing. In Los Angeles. I would die happy
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2789 on: May 20, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
Even if you're right, like let's say it was only Portnoy who pushed for playing obscurities, compare playing every song on every album minus 5 or 6 to only playing songs that made it on the radio..
I don't think it was only MP - they got tired of playing Evening Withs before he left, and at this point they just have too many "regular" songs out on albums and too many casual fans - they're growing more popular and acclaimed by the day and that would have happened with or without MP leaving - who wouldn't know, let's say, To Live Forever (well think of the percentage of people who aren't aware of "that one album" before JLB, let alone unreleased stuff), to be able to dedicate regular set time to rarities.

In short, they're growing into the type of band which has to go for the somewhat familiar stuff that can get a varied crowd fired up but they still leave place for less obvious songs in the set and I love that, I agree with you, I'm just saying it's not everything they play and that one or two very rare or first time song(s) in the set would take them ten-ish minutes tops and take all us fanboys up to heavens while making 70% of the other attenders of their shows only mildly confused :rollin

Get a camera rolling before you die because that's the only way I'd see it.
2014 is 20th anniversary of Awake and 15th anniversary of SFAM. Hm.
 :xbones

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2790 on: May 20, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »

Los Angeles already had its share of anniversaries. It's time for other countries like Italy, Japan, Serbia, Indonesia.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2791 on: May 20, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »
Awake in particular is such a huge part of my life. I've actually been hoping about the anniversary of it next year, and i REALLY hope they do something, they never have for that album before. I also live in Los Angeles, if they played the whole album at whatever show I end up going to, it would be a major unforgettable event in my life for sure.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2792 on: May 20, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Even if you're right, like let's say it was only Portnoy who pushed for playing obscurities, compare playing every song on every album minus 5 or 6 to only playing songs that made it on the radio..
I don't think it was only MP

I'm not saying you said it was only MP who said they should do obscurities  :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: May 20, 2013, 03:47:04 PM »

Los Angeles already had its share of anniversaries. It's time for other countries like Italy, Japan, Serbia, Indonesia.
SPACE DIE WEST IN SRBIJA PLS

Awake in particular is such a huge part of my life.
For my part, I am scared to think how huge :biggrin:

I don't think it was only MP

I'm not saying you said it was only MP who said they should do obscurities  :lol
I'm not saying you said what I said you said WAIT WUT :lol
Taking a chance to tell you you're awesome once again :mora:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2794 on: May 20, 2013, 03:50:09 PM »

Fly By Night and Caress of Steel by Rush were both released in '75.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2795 on: May 20, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »
Seeing Awake live would be insane. It's my favorite Dream Theater album, I would travel to the other side of the planet to see it!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2796 on: May 20, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
Whereas Blob would travel to the other side of the planet not to see it.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2797 on: May 20, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2798 on: May 20, 2013, 05:28:48 PM »

:blob: :clap:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2799 on: May 20, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
All those bi-annual releases mentioned were from the vinyl era, when albums were usually 35-40 minutes long. A DT album that clocks around 75 minutes contains the same amount of music as two early Rush albums.