Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848507 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #2730 on: May 17, 2013, 10:17:27 PM »
From JP's Twitter:
Just finished my final lyric for the new DT album. I start solos in about a week. Time to put down the pen and get to the woodshed!

I think he means... the cave??

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2731 on: May 17, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »
Madlibs time!

Just finished my final _____ for the new DT album. I start ____ in about a week. Time to put down the ____ and get to the _____!

Just finished my final BEAR STUFF for the new DT album. I start HIBERNATION in about a week. Time to put down the SALMON and get to the FOREST!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2732 on: May 17, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2733 on: May 18, 2013, 01:49:24 AM »
Oh, blob  :rollin
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2734 on: May 18, 2013, 01:51:27 AM »
    Just finished my final VOCAL STUFF for the new DT album. I start EXCAVATION in about a week. Time to put down the MIKE and get to the SHOVEL SHED!

Capt'n JLB

"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2735 on: May 18, 2013, 02:13:47 AM »
Just finished my final Starbucks order for the new DT album. I start practicing bass for DT13 in about a week. Time to put down the bass and get to the choppa!

JMX
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2736 on: May 18, 2013, 02:17:02 AM »
Just finished my final Starbucks order for the new DT album. I start practicing bass for DT13 in about a week. Time to put down the bass and get to the choppa!

JMX

:lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #2737 on: May 18, 2013, 02:24:02 AM »
From JP's Twitter:
Just finished my final lyric for the new DT album. I start solos in about a week. Time to put down the pen and get to the woodshed!

I bet JP's solos on this album are going to be fantastic! (as always I should say...) :metal

And, the tracklisting should be finished now since JP is done with the lyrics...unless JMX or JLB is still working on theirs (assuming JLB is writing one)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2738 on: May 18, 2013, 07:16:56 AM »
Just finished my final Marriage Analogy for the new DT album. I start Preparing Social Media Jabs in about a week. Time to put down the Phone To My Favourite Musicians and get to the INTERNET!

From MP.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2739 on: May 18, 2013, 07:34:40 AM »
Seems like they might have taken a bit of extra time for the lyrics.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2740 on: May 18, 2013, 07:49:10 AM »
Yeah, I guess I figure recording starts after everything's written, and if they're still working on lyrics, then things aren't actually done being written yet.  But maybe it's just some fine-tuning of lyrics, since vocals are done last anyways, and they went ahead and started laying tracks while lyrics were still being finished up, figuring there could be some overlap.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2741 on: May 18, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »
Yeah, I guess I figure recording starts after everything's written, and if they're still working on lyrics, then things aren't actually done being written yet.  But maybe it's just some fine-tuning of lyrics, since vocals are done last anyways, and they went ahead and started laying tracks while lyrics were still being finished up, figuring there could be some overlap.

Yes, that's exactly what they stated in various interviews or status updates :smiley:
- Marco

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #2742 on: May 18, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »
Did they not say they were tracking as the music was being constructed so all that's left to do is the guitar solos and the vocals?
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: May 18, 2013, 12:00:23 PM »
It's not uncommon for bands to finish writing all the music before a single lyric is written.

U2 once famously recorded vocals for a song while the album was being MASTERED.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2744 on: May 18, 2013, 04:36:57 PM »
It's not uncommon for bands to finish writing all the music before a single lyric is written.

Hasn't DT always been doing things this way?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2745 on: May 18, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »

Hasn't DT always been doing things this way?
Yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2746 on: May 18, 2013, 05:37:59 PM »
    Just finished my final VOCAL STUFF for the new DT album. I start EXCAVATION in about a week. Time to put down the MIKE and get to the SHOVEL SHED!

Capt'n JLB

:rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2747 on: May 18, 2013, 11:29:02 PM »

JMX
Nice try, but as we all know JMX NEVER puts down the bass...

;)
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2748 on: May 19, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »
I had a dream last night...

I was pulling up to my house from work when I saw a camera crew set up in the parking lot I usually park in.... Turns out DT were shooting a video for the single off the album. I stood kinda on the side watching in disbelief when the director yelled something about a guy not being there and they needed a hand with something Next thing I knew I was pulled in and told I needed to push a wheelbarrel with Mangini sitting in it into the scene.. I don't remember the rest but when it was all said and done I was given a gift wrapped copy of the new album.

And my alarm went off as I was opening it -_-
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline krands85

« Reply #2749 on: May 19, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
I stood kinda on the side watching in disbelief when the director yelled something about a guy not being there and they needed a hand with something Next thing I knew I was pulled in and told I needed to push a wheelbarrel with Mangini sitting in it into the scene..
:rollin :rollin

Please let this actually be in their next video. Preferably with JLB coming in to the scene from the other side on his forklift  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2750 on: May 19, 2013, 04:31:26 PM »
I stood kinda on the side watching in disbelief when the director yelled something about a guy not being there and they needed a hand with something Next thing I knew I was pulled in and told I needed to push a wheelbarrel with Mangini sitting in it into the scene..

Please let this actually be in their next video. Preferably with JLB coming in to the scene from the other side on his forklift  :lol
AND THEN HAVING A SUPERHERO FIGHT

Gosh I wish DT in their extramusical (or bonusmusical) activities was always as fabulously, positively camp* as most of its members are sometimes :lol :metal

*okay is there a word for this less strong and more positive than camp but clearer than wacky or whatever. EDUCATE ME, DTF

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: May 19, 2013, 04:46:31 PM »
I was pulling up to my house from work when I saw a camera crew set up in the parking lot I usually park in.... Turns out DT were shooting a video for the single off the album. I stood kinda on the side watching in disbelief when the director yelled something about a guy not being there and they needed a hand with something Next thing I knew I was pulled in and told I needed to push a wheelbarrel with Mangini sitting in it into the scene.. I don't remember the rest but when it was all said and done I was given a gift wrapped copy of the new album.

I hope you realize that from now on the world will not be complete if the band doesn't aknowledge and then stage your dream. Do you relize the damage you have done? You are the rotted root in the DTF-tree. Yyeah.
- Marco

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2752 on: May 19, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »

I hope you realize that from now on the world will not be complete if the band doesn't aknowledge and then stage your dream. Do you relize the damage you have done? You are the rotted root in the DTF-tree. Yyeah.

absolutely

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2753 on: May 19, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »
June 7th was when we found out the album and song titles. June 28th was when mixing and mastering finished and on June 29th, OTBOA was released as well as album artwork.

JLB finished his vocals for ADTOE back in April. So kinda behind last time around, but it seems to me that they took more time with this one.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2754 on: May 19, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »

:rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2755 on: May 19, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »
JLB finished his vocals for ADTOE back in April. So kinda behind last time around, but it seems to me that they took more time with this one.
Which I'm thrilled about. It seemed like DT was kinda playing it safe on the last album, I really feel like they're pulling together to create something very special.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2756 on: May 19, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
Which I'm thrilled about. It seemed like DT was kinda playing it safe on the last album, I really feel like they're pulling together to create something especially special.

FTFY ;)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2757 on: May 19, 2013, 06:06:07 PM »
Totally. I hope they are as adventurous as they were when Six Degrees was concocted.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2758 on: May 19, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »
It seemed like DT was kinda playing it safe on the last album
Which made sense, considering the kind of a position the band was in at the time. But yes, I can't wait to see what they'll put out in the fall. I have a feeling it's not only gonna blow my mind, it's gonna blow my soul.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2759 on: May 19, 2013, 06:15:29 PM »
Totally. I hope they are as adventurous as they were when Six Degrees was concocted.

That would be bad ass indeed.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2760 on: May 19, 2013, 07:01:59 PM »
It seemed like DT was kinda playing it safe on the last album
Which made sense, considering the kind of a position the band was in at the time. But yes, I can't wait to see what they'll put out in the fall. I have a feeling it's not only gonna blow my mind, it's gonna blow my soul.
Oh yea, I get that. It was kinda exactly what I was expecting from them, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I want to be surprised this time.

Offline johncal

« Reply #2761 on: May 19, 2013, 07:44:42 PM »
JP on Facebook says  "Just finished my final lyric for the new DT album. I start solos in about a week. Time to put down the pen and get to the woodshed!".

So that means vocals can't possibly be done and there are at least a couple of more weeks we know for sure that just the music itself can't possibly be finished. Now what that says to me is that they're writing and playing the crap out of the new album. That's a lot of effort. I would have to just guess it's the hardest (if not close to) they've worked on an album. I'm really excited. Even if it pushes the date back.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2762 on: May 19, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
Assuming "The Woodshed" is what he calls the room that holds his guitar collection... that is a BAD ASS NAME.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2763 on: May 19, 2013, 10:48:13 PM »
Assuming "The Woodshed" is what he calls the room that holds his guitar collection... that is a BAD ASS NAME.
Or.....he's been working so hard he hasn't 'been' with his wife in ages and 'the woodshed' is code for bedroom?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2764 on: May 20, 2013, 12:48:35 AM »
JP on Facebook says  "Just finished my final lyric for the new DT album. I start solos in about a week. Time to put down the pen and get to the woodshed!".

So that means vocals can't possibly be done and there are at least a couple of more weeks we know for sure that just the music itself can't possibly be finished. Now what that says to me is that they're writing and playing the crap out of the new album. That's a lot of effort. I would have to just guess it's the hardest (if not close to) they've worked on an album. I'm really excited. Even if it pushes the date back.
:tup

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise