Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848435 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #2555 on: May 12, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »

ARoF didn't really need to exist

ARoF *doesn't* exist. ;)

Sure it does! A Rite of Freemasons. Duh.

ARoF is a snooty dog barking.  Like Thurston Howell.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:13:54 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2556 on: May 12, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »
Damn, DT should ditch their synth era already and start making good ol fashioned rawk.  :metal

I'm just hoping there won't be too much "snarling pig" on this album. ADTOE didn't have very much, (or any that I can think of) and it was better for it.
I agree. I never liked that sound.

I like Black Clouds. It has a cool dark atmosphere that differs from Train of Thought and Awake in that it contrasts with brighter sections throughout the album. Black Clouds and Silver Linings is a fitting title.  The problem is that certain songs are needlessly long and it goes a bit overboard with the metal quite often. The reason why I don't find myself listening to it all that often is really because I don't care to sit through those overly long sections. But when I do listen to it, I usually enjoy most of it regardless of the flaws. Unlike SC (which I sort of see as its counterpart), which is always a chore to listen to.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2557 on: May 12, 2013, 11:09:45 AM »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2558 on: May 12, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »
I never felt BC&SL to be too metal. The only time DT were too much (bland) metal for me was in SC, where we get Constant Motion and TDEN back to back - followed by the way to long Repentance and a silly Prophets of War :facepalm:
BC&SL sounds fine to me, only AROP should have been replaced by a better song.

But this discussion suites a general attitude of some people who want to downplay how metal DT always were and how much they were influenced by Metallica. There is some interview with JP where he says that DT was conceived as a crossover of Yes and Metallica, I wish I remembered which one it was.

EDIT: I don't mean to downplay the influence that Iron Maiden, Rush, King Crimson, Queen and possibly a lot of other bands had on DT. I just want remark how Metallica is sometimes dismissed by prog lovers and how people complain about DT becoming metal in recent years.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:56:31 AM by me7 »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2559 on: May 12, 2013, 12:19:07 PM »
I'm not anti-metal. I just can't stand the type of metal Metallica do.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2560 on: May 12, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »

That's like saying you like The Fast and the Furious, but can't stand the bit with the cars.
I don't accept someone is a metal fan unless they respect the Metallica's music. It's like the most basic requirement to pass the metal test.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline me7

« Reply #2561 on: May 12, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »
What if someone loves Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, but dislikes Metallica?
 :corn

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2562 on: May 12, 2013, 12:34:32 PM »

That's like saying you like The Fast and the Furious, but can't stand the bit with the cars.
I don't accept someone is a metal fan unless they respect the Metallica's music. It's like the most basic requirement to pass the metal test.

Not sure if serious. I didn't know there is a "metal test" to be passed. It's all a matter of taste you know...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2563 on: May 12, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »

Do you accept respecting their role and influence but not liking their music nor thinking they are a good band? Not that I would necessarily fall into said category.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: May 12, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »

Not even close.

What if someone loves Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, but dislikes Metallica?
Haha, exactly! Metallica are not that important to metal. They are just the most famous metal band, as well as one that is very important to a particular subgenre of metal which I don't like at all.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2565 on: May 12, 2013, 12:48:38 PM »
Haha, exactly! Metallica are not that important to metal. They are just the most famous metal band, as well as one that is very important to a particular subgenre of metal which I don't like at all.

No offense, but this is the most ignorant musical opinion in this entire thread so far, regardless of whether you like Metallica or not, especially considering the obvious influence on DT's music, including a lot of their highly regarded stuff. And I hate thrash as a subgenre as much as anybody else here.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline me7

« Reply #2566 on: May 12, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »

Actually, I agree that Metallica are very important to metal, chronologically the most important band after Judas Priest IMO. I just wanted to point out a flaw in the proposed "metal test".
Metllica were not just some thrash metal band. The highly influenced all of metal that came after them, including progressive metal and DT.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2567 on: May 12, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »

No offense, but this is the most ignorant musical opinion in this entire thread so far, regardless of whether you like Metallica or not, especially considering the obvious influence on DT's music, including a lot of their highly regarded stuff. And I hate thrash as a subgenre as much as anybody else here.
No offense taken. I find your idea that everyone who likes metal should respect Metallica to be equally ignorant.

Sorry, but I don't like Metallica. I don't like their music, or the influence they had on metal. I don't like the DT songs which are obviously influenced by them.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2568 on: May 12, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
EDIT: I don't mean to downplay the influence that Iron Maiden, Rush, King Crimson, Queen and possibly a lot of other bands had on DT. I just want remark how Metallica is sometimes dismissed by prog lovers and how people complain about DT becoming metal in recent years.
It's not that they became metal in recent years, but the metal has cancelled out the prog in a lot of situations, and even vice versa. Think about Train Of Thought, there's very little prog in that. The way they present it is just different now. I think the Yes meets Metallica mentality is all over the first three albums, but I honestly don't really hear it very much after that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2569 on: May 12, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »

Actually, I agree that Metallica are very important to metal, chronologically the most important band after Judas Priest IMO. I just wanted to point out a flaw in the proposed "metal test".
Metllica were not just some thrash metal band. The highly influenced all of metal that came after them, including progressive metal and DT.
By "not that important" I'm responding to Blobs notion that Metallica are as important to metal as cars are to Fast and Furious. I'm not saying they aren't important at all, but obviously Blob is exaggerating by acting like they deserved every metal fans respect. And tbh I really don't care much for the type of metal that came after Metallica. I just don't.

Offline me7

« Reply #2570 on: May 12, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »
So you don't care about prog metal? How Metallica's concept albums with time signature changes and lengthy multi-section songs pioneered (in metal) many of the things DT are known and praised for?

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #2571 on: May 12, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
By "not that important" I'm responding to Blobs notion that Metallica are as important to metal as cars are to Fast and Furious. I'm not saying they aren't important at all, but obviously Blob is exaggerating by acting like they deserved every metal fans respect. And tbh I really don't care much for the type of metal that came after Metallica. I just don't.

I don't know how to talk to you.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2572 on: May 12, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
BCASL's problems had little to do with the fact it was metal imo. A lot of its problem was bloat. The album of epics.

I can agree with that to a point - I happen to think that the bloat WAS its problem, not that it was either "too metal" or "too long/prog".  TSF could stand a MAJOR rework, TBOT should've stayed between MP and his dad, and TCOT is WAY overrated (I do admit that I really like Jordan's nod to Frank Zappa in the intro, though).  ANTR goes on for about a minute or two too long, and while I don't have a problem with it (since I'm about the only one here who still likes the song, apparently) the Bebot solo really sounds out of place in AROP.  Wither is about the best song on the album.

As always... your mileage may vary and the above opinions are SOLELY mine.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2573 on: May 12, 2013, 05:53:27 PM »
So you don't care about prog metal? How Metallica's concept albums with time signature changes and lengthy multi-section songs pioneered (in metal) many of the things DT are known and praised for?
Nope, don't care.

Aside from DT,  I really don't care for much prog metal anyway.

And any way,  it's the prog and melodic metal influenced stuff I like best. Stuff like Train of Thought or the heavier songs on the more recent albums are OK, but they don't do a whole lot for me.

BTW, you can say all you want about DT owing a ton to Metallica, and you wouldn't be completely wrong, but really, they are outside the bands that DT have claimed as the largest influences. Awhile back, either Mike or John said in an interview that there were only three bands that DT were still willing to open for, now that they were a band that could support themselves with their own fanbase. Those bands were Rush, Iron Maiden, and (I believe) Yes. Those three bands and their styles are really the biggest to the DT formula. That formula BTW was already in the works when Metallica were writing MoP and AJFA, so I don't see how DT owe them that much really. Initially, influences such as the bands I already mentioned and more pioneering prog metal acts like Fates Warning and Queensryche were far more important to DT than Metallica were.

Honestly, the idea that Metallica pioneered prog metal is kinda ridiculous, the more I think about it. Metallica were the ones *influenced* somewhat by prog metal, not the other way around, and to give them some sort of credit for pioneering it is really bizarre and incorrect.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:17:10 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2574 on: May 12, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
BCASL's problems had little to do with the fact it was metal imo. A lot of its problem was bloat. The album of epics.

I can agree with that to a point - I happen to think that the bloat WAS its problem, not that it was either "too metal" or "too long/prog".  TSF could stand a MAJOR rework, TBOT should've stayed between MP and his dad, and TCOT is WAY overrated (I do admit that I really like Jordan's nod to Frank Zappa in the intro, though).  ANTR goes on for about a minute or two too long, and while I don't have a problem with it (since I'm about the only one here who still likes the song, apparently) the Bebot solo really sounds out of place in AROP.  Wither is about the best song on the album.

As always... your mileage may vary and the above opinions are SOLELY mine.
I love every minute of it, including the thunder sample, the blast beat and "Day after day...".

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2575 on: May 12, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »
That bolded part was actually referring to AROP, not ANTR.  Sorry for the confusion, folks.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #2576 on: May 12, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
Crap, I'm stuck in a black hole

https://yourmajesty.ytmnd.com/

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2577 on: May 12, 2013, 06:05:49 PM »
I don't call Load-St. Anger "metal".   To me, that was a deviation, Death Magnetic was getting back to themselves.

And I think Zeppelin and Sabbath were heavy for it's time, but not metal like Metallica and later bands did. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2578 on: May 12, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »
That bolded part was actually referring to AROP, not ANTR.  Sorry for the confusion, folks.
Oh, it's totally my bad, started replying after reading until the bolded part. Don't particularly care for AROP, but I love every JP solo which features wah-wah and tremolo hitting (or whatever that technique is called).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2579 on: May 12, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »
I really like A Rite Of Passage... though I admit the Bebot is kind of annoying.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2580 on: May 12, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
I don't much care for AROP, it's ok, probably a little better than YNM and BMS but I actually like the Bebot solo. :lol

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #2581 on: May 12, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
So James' new album is done, and now we await a release date
 :tup
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2582 on: May 12, 2013, 06:46:37 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :cjs:

Offline Lucien

« Reply #2583 on: May 12, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
Now that that album is done, let's finish THIS album.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2584 on: May 12, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »
It'll sound great with Jens Borgen at the helm. Time to get him over to DT!

Offline TL

« Reply #2585 on: May 12, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »
Also, from the end of that post, we now know that JLB's new album is 100% Ska music.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2586 on: May 12, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »
Also, from the end of that post, we now know that JLB's new album is 100% Ska music.

I really hope not.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2587 on: May 13, 2013, 12:32:02 AM »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2588 on: May 13, 2013, 12:54:09 AM »
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sk%C3%A5l

Dammit, my eyes really did ignore that 'l' at the end. I was looking for the translation but couldn't find anything.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2589 on: May 13, 2013, 01:11:03 AM »
Mine too! Wow, I was 100% the word was just ska, even when reading the wikipage! :o
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco