Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848394 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #2520 on: May 11, 2013, 02:19:04 AM »
So, I wake up tomfind that the creepy hair discussion is still going on? Completely expected.

:biggrin:

Also a shout out to DT in case they may be reading this and shaking their heads at us:
WE DON'T CARE THAT YOU CUT OR DYE YOUR HAIR OR SHAVE YOUR HEAD OR HAVE AN EPIC BEARD OR NOT HAVE AN EPIC BEARD OR LOOK THE SAME AS YOU DID IN '92 OR HAVE 30 EXTRA POUNDS OF MUSCLES WE LOVE YOU OKAY

DEFINITELY GUYS WE LOVE YOU LOTS :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2521 on: May 11, 2013, 04:33:15 AM »

Now that's bad-ass! JLB can dye his hair as much as he wants, but as long as he keeps the beard, they're fine.  :biggrin:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2522 on: May 11, 2013, 04:36:17 AM »
And by the way, I think people would hardly say that that young man out there in that pic is actually 48 (or was at the time the pic was taken).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2523 on: May 11, 2013, 04:42:06 AM »
the only thing I really don't get is this-

literally one-year difference  :o and actually same thing for '98 to '99
I wish my hair grew as quickly :D

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2524 on: May 11, 2013, 05:00:50 AM »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2525 on: May 11, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »
. ugh, dont mind me

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2526 on: May 11, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2527 on: May 11, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »
A tour of JR's keys in the studio :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-cTGbXf0w0&feature=youtu.be

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2528 on: May 11, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2529 on: May 11, 2013, 10:39:49 PM »
A tour of JR's keys in the studio :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-cTGbXf0w0&feature=youtu.be

B.Lee

Here's something to chew on, guys:

If you can get a better picture of that moment: GET IT.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2530 on: May 11, 2013, 10:41:56 PM »
Looks cool regardless. :tup

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2531 on: May 11, 2013, 10:52:58 PM »
Needs a CSI filter.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2532 on: May 11, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Ah ha, so there will be keys on the album....

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2533 on: May 11, 2013, 11:09:25 PM »
Damn, DT should ditch their synth era already and start making good ol fashioned rawk.  :metal
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2534 on: May 12, 2013, 12:31:20 AM »
:icy:

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2535 on: May 12, 2013, 01:37:06 AM »
Damn, DT should ditch their synth era already and start making good ol fashioned rawk.  :metal

I'm just hoping there won't be too much "snarling pig" on this album. ADTOE didn't have very much, (or any that I can think of) and it was better for it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2536 on: May 12, 2013, 02:27:31 AM »
Did he use the snarling pig much on BCASL either? I know he used it a lot on SC. He needs to bring back more snarling pig! The heavy riffs sound fuller with the keyboard in there to add more layering, even when he's adding something else over the top such as strings. It's not something that's in your face, it just adds that little bit of texture and variety. I can't think of any time where it's been that upfront that anyone can complain about it.

Although I suppose there wasn't all that much heavy riffing to use it on ADTOE anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2537 on: May 12, 2013, 02:44:28 AM »
Did he use the snarling pig much on BCASL either? I know he used it a lot on SC. He needs to bring back more snarling pig! The heavy riffs sound fuller with the keyboard in there to add more layering, even when he's adding something else over the top such as strings. It's not something that's in your face, it just adds that little bit of texture and variety. I can't think of any time where it's been that upfront that anyone can complain about it.

Although I suppose there wasn't all that much heavy riffing to use it on ADTOE anyway.

There was quite a bit of it on Nightmare and Fortress. If you listen to the stems, it's there like crazy.

Personally, I like the pure sound of a guitar riff. The snarling pig effects changes the sound so much that it almost doesn't even sound like you're listening to an electric guitar sometimes. I used the stems and made a mix of Nightmare to Remember without the snarling pig, and it has such a purified rock sound without it, I love it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2538 on: May 12, 2013, 02:47:01 AM »

Ιt was there on ANTR and TSF as far as i remember.
And i disagree with you, it sounds annoying (to me), if there is riffing i just like to hear the guitar, not a synth sound with modulation and stuff. It was like JR needed to play something on those parts and he only doubled the guitar just because he didn't feel like playing anything else.

I hope we don't hear the snarling pig again in a DT album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2539 on: May 12, 2013, 02:58:48 AM »

There was quite a bit of it on Nightmare and Fortress. If you listen to the stems, it's there like crazy.

Personally, I like the pure sound of a guitar riff. The snarling pig effects changes the sound so much that it almost doesn't even sound like you're listening to an electric guitar sometimes. I used the stems and made a mix of Nightmare to Remember without the snarling pig, and it has such a purified rock sound without it, I love it.

Ah yes, I honestly couldn't remember the spots it was used on BCASL. Thanks.
Now that I'm listening back to it (I only skimmed the first half where I don't hear it), I can't imagine those sections without it. It's such a signature DT sound, that it's likely a big part of why the heavy parts of ADTOE sound so damn plain as muck and lacking in character to me (along with the completely unfinished sounding dry mix and low drums).

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #2540 on: May 12, 2013, 04:22:13 AM »
Ah yes, I honestly couldn't remember the spots it was used on BCASL. Thanks.
Now that I'm listening back to it (I only skimmed the first half where I don't hear it), I can't imagine those sections without it. It's such a signature DT sound, that it's likely a big part of why the heavy parts of ADTOE sound so damn plain as muck and lacking in character to me (along with the completely unfinished sounding dry mix and low drums).

My opinion is just the complete opposite. I guss it is what people used to call "different taste" ;)

I just love the proggy side of DT more than the metal side...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2541 on: May 12, 2013, 05:26:32 AM »

They are always at their best when they balance those two elements. Just metal turns boring as it did with most of Black Clouds & Silver Linings and other songs of theirs as well. Just prog turns boring like all music from most other prog bands.

Dream Theater has never really had a problem with too little metal, but has certainly had problems with too much of it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2542 on: May 12, 2013, 05:28:07 AM »
Dream Theater has never really had a problem with too little metal, but has certainly had problems with too much of it.
I second that.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2543 on: May 12, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »

They are always at their best when they balance those two elements. Just metal turns boring as it did with most of Black Clouds & Silver Linings and other songs of theirs as well. Just prog turns boring like all music from most other prog bands.

I disagree. BCASL's problems had little to do with the fact it was metal imo. A lot of its problem was bloat. The album of epics. Sounds like a prog problem to me. :lol
Personally, my least favourite longer DT songs are the ones that are too focused on being proggy, but without enough metal to balance it out, such as LTL, ACOS, BAI etc (I know they all have heavier stuff in them, but I find them too proggy and boring).
I'm not even much of a metal fan, I'm just more into DT's simpler side where they're focusing on melody, more concise structures (relatively speaking), and ballady stuff too. I feel that prog goes against that by its very nature. Their metal side doesn't.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2544 on: May 12, 2013, 06:25:39 AM »
Well the reason I don't like Black Clouds & Silver Linings is strictly musical. I was really excited when I first heard it was going to be like four epics on there, but they just weren't any good because of all the heavy "bad-ass" metal stuff.

If The Count of Tuscany was only the intro and the last things after the second chorus it would have been awesome. But there's too much absolutely ridiculous metal stuff in between.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: May 12, 2013, 06:33:39 AM »
Well the reason I don't like Black Clouds & Silver Linings is strictly musical. I was really excited when I first heard it was going to be like four epics on there, but they just weren't any good because of all the heavy "bad-ass" metal stuff.

Obviously the reason TBOT is bad has zero to do with being metal. And TSF's problem is mostly the fact it's rehashed with poor transitions.
It seems clear to me you're just not a metal metal fan though, so I'd say your opinion of the metal side is probably as biased as mine is with the prog.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2546 on: May 12, 2013, 07:49:50 AM »
Well okay, The Best of Times is the exeption on that album. And I would have been more or less fine with the rehashed material in The Shattered Fortress if Portnoy hadn't felt the need to sound cool and heavy and didn't put those aweful heavy metal vocal lines really poor vocal melodies for LaBrie in there.

I'm a big fan of metal, especially the really heavy stuff. Of course it depends a bit on what you're thinking about when you say "metal metal".

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2547 on: May 12, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
The Count of Tuscany was the masterpiece of the album. I would have taken that song alone as an EP and still be happy.

ANTR could have been half as long, too metuhl in my opinion
ARoP didn't really need to exist
TSF is part of 12 steps, so it's fine being metuhl like the others
Wither is okay
TBoT is also okay
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:09:18 AM by Lucien »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2548 on: May 12, 2013, 08:23:24 AM »
The Count of Tuscany was the masterpiece of the album. I would have taken that song alone as an EP and still be happy.

This is the best thing I have read so far today.  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #2549 on: May 12, 2013, 08:56:10 AM »

I disagree. BCASL's problems had little to do with the fact it was metal imo. A lot of its problem was bloat. The album of epics. Sounds like a prog problem to me. :lol
Personally, my least favourite longer DT songs are the ones that are too focused on being proggy, but without enough metal to balance it out, such as LTL, ACOS, BAI etc (I know they all have heavier stuff in them, but I find them too proggy and boring).
I'm not even much of a metal fan, I'm just more into DT's simpler side where they're focusing on melody, more concise structures (relatively speaking), and ballady stuff too. I feel that prog goes against that by its very nature. Their metal side doesn't.

Words can't describe what I have just read. All of your opinions are now invalid. Good day sir.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: May 12, 2013, 09:08:25 AM »
DT do some metal well, but not all. When they stay more in the realm of Iron Maiden or Queensryche, I think they sound great. When they become "Dreamtallica", not so much.

Then again, Metallica suck, so even if JLB could sing like James Hetfield, and even if the rest of the band (especially Jordan) were good at thrashing around, it'd still be pretty lame :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2551 on: May 12, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »
DT do some metal well, but not all. When they stay more in the realm of Iron Maiden or Queensryche, I think they sound great. When they become "Dreamtallica", not so much.

Then again, Metallica suck, so even if JLB could sing like James Hetfield, and even if the rest of the band (especially Jordan) were good at thrashing around, it'd still be pretty lame :D

So what you're saying is "I don't like Metallica". DT's Metallica influence is a lot more deeply rooted than you probably realize, going all the way back to their first albums.
What's with all the anti-metal in this thread?

Words can't describe what I have just read. All of your opinions are now invalid. Good day sir.

Um... ok? Sometimes I don't know why I bother taking the time to properly articulate an opinion when some people aren't even going to dignify it with a thoughtful response.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2552 on: May 12, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »
Wtf? :lol

I still really like BC&SL, and have no problem with DT's metal side or prog side. I think it's quite amusing that we're even still having that argument!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: May 12, 2013, 10:23:05 AM »

ARoF didn't really need to exist

ARoF *doesn't* exist. ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2554 on: May 12, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »

ARoF didn't really need to exist

ARoF *doesn't* exist. ;)

Sure it does! A Rite of Freemasons. Duh.