Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847782 times)

Offline Sycsa

Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #1995 on: April 26, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1996 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40:35 AM »
What you said. I just stated that it's pretty easy to build a lost momentum for a future release, but the momentum ONCE the release date has come must be kept at all cost with almost immediate touring!
Yeah, exactly. They need to promote the album as much as they can, and not starting the tour as early as possible after the album's release wouldn't be a smart move.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1997 on: April 26, 2013, 10:45:51 AM »
What is this 360 degrees technology?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ExrdvNg2k

And this is something that'll only be available on a computer? With a Blu-Ray drive?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1999 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Huh... It's neat little technology, but I do wonder how long it takes to render everything. It's probably expensive as hell.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2000 on: April 26, 2013, 12:45:13 PM »
What you said. I just stated that it's pretty easy to build a lost momentum for a future release, but the momentum ONCE the release date has come must be kept at all cost with almost immediate touring!
Yeah, exactly. They need to promote the album as much as they can, and not starting the tour as early as possible after the album's release wouldn't be a smart move.
I don't know - even if they kicked off the day after the album's launched, most people are still going to be waiting for a month, two months, three months, anything up to a full year to actually see the band. Even if you strike while the iron's hot, you're not really striking while the iron's hot, not for most people. September, January, what's the difference? For most fans, on most days, unless you're chasing the band around a continent, a tour is something that' happening people.  In some ways, you could argue the delay makes it more of an event. Three months 'til the album, three months 'til the tour, rather than everything happening at once. Builds up separate excitement, second wave of hype.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2001 on: April 26, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
I don't know - even if they kicked off the day after the album's launched, most people are still going to be waiting for a month, two months, three months, anything up to a full year to actually see the band. Even if you strike while the iron's hot, you're not really striking while the iron's hot, not for most people. September, January, what's the difference? For most fans, on most days, unless you're chasing the band around a continent, a tour is something that' happening people.  In some ways, you could argue the delay makes it more of an event. Three months 'til the album, three months 'til the tour, rather than everything happening at once. Builds up separate excitement, second wave of hype.
I agree. Since you changed your avatar I usually don't notice it right away that it's you, but it only takes reading a few lines to realize it.  :tup

« Reply #2002 on: April 26, 2013, 01:06:45 PM »
Personally, I don't care. Iron Maiden's Final Frontier tour came when DT wasn't doing much of anything aside from actually touring. But I was still hyped as hell to see them live, and that was pretty much my main reason for going to the show at all. Maiden was just icing on the cake.

Point is, yeah, it doesn't matter when they start touring. Quite frankly, the further away it is, the more time I have to save up money for the VIP package I will inevitably be getting.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2003 on: April 26, 2013, 01:19:06 PM »
Well, my point was that they'll have to tour all these places (Europe, North America, South America, Asia, etc.) at some point, so why not start as quickly as possible? People in certain countries will have to wait for their show for many months anyway, and I bet RR is also pressuring them to start promoting the album early on to keep the momentum high.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2004 on: April 26, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
I'm not going to see them again if they play the Orpheum Theater in Boston.  They were so fucking loud there last time that it ruined the show.  :tdwn

I think they've outgrown that venue.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2005 on: April 26, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »
I'm not going to see them again if they play the Orpheum Theater in Boston.  They were so fucking loud there last time that it ruined the show.  :tdwn

Well, there is always The Axis :D (is it still there?)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2006 on: April 26, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »
I'm quite pleased that they are taking the summer off. Presumably that means JP will have time to finalize a solo album (when he isn't smoking racks of lamb for his family)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: April 26, 2013, 02:26:12 PM »

I think it has been closed a couple of years ago.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2008 on: April 26, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »

I think it has been closed a couple of years ago.

Axis and Avalon (saw DT in both) were right next door to each other right behind Fenway Park's Green Monster. Both locations, along with a third place, I believe we're converted into what is now the House Of Blues.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2009 on: April 26, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »
TAC is 100% correct.  Saw Porcupine Tree there is it's a very good venue. 

But Barry, I'd rather see them at the Orpheum then that hole in Worcester called The Palladium.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #2010 on: April 26, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »
I don't think it's that big of a deal if they take a few months off to recharge their batteries. They've been going pretty hard for several years. Get some rest and go on tour better than ever.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2011 on: April 26, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
I don't think it's that big of a deal if they take a few months off to recharge their batteries. They've been going pretty hard for several years. Get some rest and go on tour better than ever.

THIS THIS THIS :biggrin:

Offline johncal

« Reply #2012 on: April 26, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »
To me, ADTOE was their best album ever, so I'm really up for this especially being a drummer myself I can't wait to see what Mangini does. When all the guys in the band (except JM who never says anything) say that Mangini's taking them to the next level, that's saying a lot. I mean JP is the group, but JR and MM are probably the 2 most musically advanced geniuses when it comes to theory, etc. so this should have some truly amazing moments.

The thing I'm looking forward to more than anything is the hope that there will be something in here musically we've never heard from anyone before. It's quite possible. I just hope the fans are ready for it. As for me, the more insane the better. The thing I loved so much about ADTOE was that there was just so much classical music structure and composition, especially in Outcry. For what they were doing, I was also happy with the mix. It was a very 70's analog sound. which I thought fit what they were doing. I do believe however that this one will be very much in your face. JP already said in this latest interview that the drums were really up front and a major part of it (paraphrasing) so it should be a mental feast.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:43:17 PM by johncal »

« Reply #2013 on: April 26, 2013, 09:26:53 PM »
...said Mike Portnoy.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2014 on: April 26, 2013, 09:33:39 PM »
...said Mike Portnoy.

There's a difference between a few months and a few years.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2015 on: April 26, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »
...said Mike Portnoy.

Mike Portnoy wanted DT to go on an indefinite hiatus and return stronger and better than ever. Not even close.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2016 on: April 27, 2013, 02:15:28 AM »
I can't see the horizon for this recent discussion....
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #2017 on: April 27, 2013, 06:15:53 AM »
...said Mike Portnoy.

A summer break is not a multi-year hiatus.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2018 on: April 27, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
I can't see the horizon for this recent discussion....
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2019 on: April 27, 2013, 09:46:07 AM »

But Barry, I'd rather see them at the Orpheum then that hole in Worcester called The Palladium.
Amen! I remember the DT show in Worcester thinking I was in a Planet Of The Apes type movie, and the Palladium was this deep underground space where the humans gathered.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2020 on: April 27, 2013, 10:53:24 AM »

Amen! I remember the DT show in Worcester thinking I was in a Planet Of The Apes type movie, and the Palladium was this deep underground space where the humans gathered.

:lol   That image is now imprinted.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #2021 on: April 27, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »
Well, I've been away from DTF but now I'm back. I wanted to know how things were! Can anybody bring me up to speed on the process of the new album?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: April 27, 2013, 12:02:38 PM »
We don't know much, but the most detailed and coherent information we have so far were published yesterday on the interview JP had with DTNorway. You can see a small summary I made here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35260.msg1561287#msg1561287
- Marco

Offline Lucien

« Reply #2023 on: April 27, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
Well, so far we know there will be an instrumental, John Myung is writing lyrics, "the fans are in for a real treat, it's gonna be.. beautiful" -James LaBrie, we know what amps John Petrucci is using, apparently Over the Line Over the Edge Productions just finished filming something with Dream Theater (?), other things.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:47:01 PM by Lucien »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2024 on: April 27, 2013, 12:37:04 PM »
A bit off-topic, but what's happening with James' solo album? Has anybody heard anything?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: April 27, 2013, 12:40:15 PM »
Well, so far we know there will be an instrumental, John Myung is writing lyrics, "the fans are in for a real treat, it's gonna be.. beautiful" -James LaBrie, we know what amps John Petrucci is using, apparently Over the Line Productions just finished filming something with Dream Theater (?), other things.

Over The Edge, please  :D
- Marco

Offline Lucien

« Reply #2026 on: April 27, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
Well, so far we know there will be an instrumental, John Myung is writing lyrics, "the fans are in for a real treat, it's gonna be.. beautiful" -James LaBrie, we know what amps John Petrucci is using, apparently Over the Line Productions just finished filming something with Dream Theater (?), other things.

Over The Edge, please  :D

Lol. Anyways, the album should be AMAZING.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2027 on: April 27, 2013, 12:48:39 PM »
A bit off-topic, but what's happening with James' solo album? Has anybody heard anything?

YES! Jens Borgen is mixing/mastering it at the moment. This was posted by Matt Guillory on his FB this week.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2028 on: April 27, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »

YES! Jens Borgen is mixing/mastering it at the moment. This was posted by Matt Guillory on his FB this week.

Good. Jens Bogren seems to be almost synonymous with great albums.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2029 on: April 27, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »

Good. Jens Bogren seems to be almost synonymous with great albums.
Yeah, Static Impulse sounded amazing so I'm hoping for more of that quality :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise