Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847891 times)

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #1960 on: April 24, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1961 on: April 24, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
Over the Edge Productions
Filming in the studio with Dream Theater today.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=502313596493940&set=a.135044486554188.21268.135021603223143&type=1&theater

What if we got some behind the scenes stuff from the making of the new album on the Luna Park DVD?  That would be different, huh?  This behind the scenes stuff BEFORE the album actually comes out.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1962 on: April 24, 2013, 08:14:02 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=502313596493940&set=a.135044486554188.21268.135021603223143&type=1&theater

Perhaps filming of a music video (lead single?) for the new album
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1963 on: April 25, 2013, 01:37:12 AM »
Ahh that may explain the lack of info, they decided to include a sneak peak from the studio on the DVD as an extra treat for the fans or..

..it could also be for the album of course.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1964 on: April 25, 2013, 01:47:47 AM »

What if we got some behind the scenes stuff from the making of the new album on the Luna Park DVD?  That would be different, huh?  This behind the scenes stuff BEFORE the album actually comes out.
They wouldn't say anything important about it, just a bunch of "we're excited" + rigtalk
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1965 on: April 25, 2013, 01:50:25 AM »

It would be too late to add anything to the Luna Park DVD anyway at this point. It's basically finished as far as I know.
And I really don't want the DVD to have anything to do with the new album or vice versa. There's no reason they should. They're completely separate entities.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1966 on: April 25, 2013, 02:48:20 AM »
Well now I'm confused. Didn't MM say the drums were 'coming down' the other day? And now we see this photo. WHAT'S GOING ON?!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1967 on: April 25, 2013, 02:49:17 AM »
He breaks them down, then builds them up again.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1968 on: April 25, 2013, 02:50:02 AM »
Well now I'm confused. Didn't MM say the drums were 'coming down' the other day? And now we see this photo. WHAT'S GOING ON?!

You're just not thinking 4th dimensionally!

:lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1969 on: April 25, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
Same day! Mike Mangini said the drums were coming down twenty hours ago. Over The Edge posted their update twelve hours ago - saying "filming today." Probably, specifically, "earlier today."

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1970 on: April 25, 2013, 06:41:39 AM »
Ah yes, that makes more sense. I thought I was going mad.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1971 on: April 25, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »
It would be too late to add anything to the Luna Park DVD anyway at this point. It's basically finished as far as I know.
And I really don't want the DVD to have anything to do with the new album or vice versa. There's no reason they should. They're completely separate entities.

Which would imply a bonus DVD on the new album, right?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1972 on: April 25, 2013, 08:35:48 AM »

I sure hope so. The bonus DVD for Systematic Chaos was an excellent bonus (disregarding any feelings towards the album itself people may have). I wish they'd included something similar with every album in a bonus version.
It might just be released in little snippets more like the SDOIT stuff though, as a lead up to the album.

« Reply #1973 on: April 25, 2013, 09:12:13 AM »
I sure hope so. The bonus DVD for Systematic Chaos was an excellent bonus (disregarding any feelings towards the album itself people may have). I wish they'd included something similar with every album in a bonus version.
It might just be released in little snippets more like the SDOIT stuff though, as a lead up to the album.

Well, this time they don't have a Drummer documentary to fall back on. So if they want to do some kind of a Deluxe 3-Disc Edition of the album, they'll need to put something on it.

And I know it would be a little presumptuous, but I'm really hoping we'll get an instrumental version of the album this time as well.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1974 on: April 25, 2013, 09:58:33 AM »

Yeah, and it would be great to have one where MP isn't walking around spewing profanities that a 12-yr-old thinks are "cool".

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1975 on: April 25, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »

:clap:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1976 on: April 25, 2013, 03:07:06 PM »
I agree that the Systematic Chaos DVD was really good. More ones like that would be great.

Instrumental version would be cool too, so in my world the perfect setup for the new album would be:

CD1 - Album
CD2 - Instrumentals
CD3 - Documentary

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: April 25, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
I would rather have a DVD with the stems (not gonna happen, but if there's a hope that's JR, he seems to be the one who is into the audience's interaction with the studio music the most, seeing the recent developements), and hopefully in a normal package, not in the 100$-or-so iper-deluxe edition.
- Marco

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1978 on: April 25, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
I would rather have a DVD with the stems (not gonna happen, but if there's a hope that's JR, he seems to be the one who is into the audience's interaction with the studio music the most, seeing the recent developements), and hopefully in a normal package, not in the 100$-or-so iper-deluxe edition.
I'm with you, I'd love to see affordable stems - but the problem with that, I think, is that even within Dream Theater's fanbase, the list of people who would be interested in stems is a fairly niche market. The most important facet of a bonus feature, from a marketing perspective, is that it should entice potential buyers to fork a little extra out for added quality. While Dream Theater's fanbase is more musician-heavy and more dedicated than a lot of other bands, I fear it's still a minority interest. Far, far more potential customers would pick up the disc, go, "What?" and then buy the single-disc version instead. Which not only into profits, (well, it doesn't, because the retailers buy the discs, but I'm simplifying,) but I believe also into chart position - seem to remember hearing that the more discs sold, the higher it punches. This is possibly part of the reason ADToE, with its two-disc special edition, generally tended to chart slightly lower than BCSL with its 3CD edition.

Unless I'm misremembering the facts - in which case, disregard that last bit. In fact, take everything after the word "instead" with massive heaps of salt. Salt or research. I started guessing after that bit. Solid post up 'til then, though, although mostly just because it's completely unverifiable.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1979 on: April 25, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
I hope the next Deluxe Edition is a bit different. The past two followed the same deal: CD, LP, Lithograph, etc. Maybe something different.

And switch up the booklet.  :lol I know that's out of DT's hands, but they've had the same layout, font, and look to them.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1980 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:41 PM »
And switch up the booklet.  :lol I know that's out of DT's hands, but they've had the same layout, font, and look to them.

No, I liked that kind of cottinuity! It was a cool thing to put the records into a perspective, I guess.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1981 on: April 25, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »

Exactly what I'd like too. The only reason I bought the BCASL boxset as opposed to the regular version was for the stems DVD. Instrumental versions aren't that useful to me, and stems would allow that anyway. And think about all of the fun and interactivity the fans had with those remixes!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1982 on: April 26, 2013, 06:53:40 AM »
No, I liked that kind of cottinuity! It was a cool thing to put the records into a perspective, I guess.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I guess I think it's time for a change.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1983 on: April 26, 2013, 07:51:49 AM »
- Marco

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1984 on: April 26, 2013, 08:10:32 AM »
No summer tour, dvd release date coming soon, new album still on track to be released by the end of the summer or early fall, probably on tour in early 2014 (maybe late 2013).

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: April 26, 2013, 08:43:58 AM »
I'm posting this summary here as well  :tup

• Album is well under way. The writing phase itself is over and right now there's the lyrics writing phase going on. Vocals will be tracked soon.
  • The number of songs is pretty definite, but he is reluctant to give iformation about it because anything could still change (name, number, lenght) at this point. I guess he's keeping in mind the example of Beneath The Surface. Information will be eventually given, but he feels now it is still to soon
  • The interaction with Mike Mangini has been great, after 15 months of touring to know each other. The chemistry is great and he has to take back what is said in 2011 (that the ADTOE studio Mike was "Mike Unleashed")
  • Fans are going to definitely notice the change in the drumming with respect to Mike's drumming on ADTOE. He stressed the point, multiple times.
  • They obviously have a very clear and definite idea of what album it's going to be like, but he doesn't want to say anything about it, or to make any comparison to any of their previous release to avoid fans listening to it with a prejudice. He said he likes to listen to an album with minimal information of what it's going to be like, in order to be able to judge from the music only, without pre-conceived opinions.
  • He doesn't have a release date for the DVD, but he said it will be announced very soon - a matter of a couple of weeks, he said.
  • The DVD took a bit more than many, including the band itself, anticipated, but that's due to the amount of stuff in there. He enumerated: the size of the audio, the amount of music present in the recording, the video, the blu ray, the 360° technology, the packaging. He said that in the end we will all understand why it took so long and will likely judge it worth the wait. He stated that he honestly thinks it's their best to date, and that much will be completely different than anything we have seen in the past from them including (I think) the modalities of release.
  • As for the tour plans, they decided to take the summer off, after 5 months ad a half in the studio. He said he will enjoy barbecues. It's likely that the album will be released by the end of summer / beginning of fall, and that the touring will start in late 2013 or early 2014.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1986 on: April 26, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
I saw the lack of summer dates coming because none had still been announced. Anyway, he didn't reveal a lot about the new album (which is understandable), but it's still good to hear him say something about all these things.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1987 on: April 26, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
Fairly revealing, for an interview with so many "No comments." DVD delayed, longer than the band expected, hefty undertaking, but announcement soon, nothing to worry about. Slowdown on tour dates confirmed - fine, neat. The idea that they might not tour 'til 2014... crikey! That'd be the first time they've done a year with no shows, won't it? Ever! Don't mind too much, gives me more chance to save up, but it's quite surprising. Sounds like the album's on schedule - perhaps, even, slightly ahead of the schedule we'd been expecting. They're a twenty-five year old band with fifty-year-old members, I'm cool with them slowing the pace a little as long as the products remain good.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: April 26, 2013, 09:07:37 AM »
They never walked the stages in 1991 and 2001. They performed 5 shows in 1996. The last time they didn't tour in promotion of an album in the same year the album was released was in 2004, Train Of Though having hit the shelves in '03! :tup
- Marco

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1989 on: April 26, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »
I'm fucking excited right now !

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1990 on: April 26, 2013, 09:44:34 AM »
  • The DVD took a bit more than many, including the band itself, anticipated, but that's due to the amount of stuff in there. He enumerated: the size of the audio, the amount of music present in the recording, the video, the blu ray, the 360° technology, the packaging. He said that in the end we will all understand why it took so long and will likely judge it worth the wait. He stated that he honestly thinks it's their best to date, and that much will be completely different than anything we have seen in the past from them including (I think) the modalities of release.
I'm glad he's honest and acknowledge stuff like these, i have no problem waiting for this DVD now, sounds awesome!  :hefdaddy
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1991 on: April 26, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »
I think they'll start touring later this year already if the album comes out in late summer/early fall, since it would be weird if there were no shows until multiple months after the release date.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: April 26, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
What you said. I just stated that it's pretty easy to build a lost momentum for a future release, but the momentum ONCE the release date has come must be kept at all cost with almost immediate touring!
- Marco

« Reply #1993 on: April 26, 2013, 10:15:57 AM »
What is this 360 degrees technology?

Offline Mladen