Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847922 times)

Offline Shadow2222

Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #1925 on: April 22, 2013, 02:23:15 PM »
I'm gonna get both, anyway, so it's usually cheaper for me if it's a combined set, rather than 2 separate things.

Yeah, this is the first time I'm getting the whole bundle. I want the Bluray for obvious reasons, I've been driving a lot recently so the CD will be useful, and I want the DVD since my computer can convert 2D to 3D (but only DVDs, not Blurays) and I've wanted to watch DT on my 3DTV ever since the misinterpreted blurb from JP about the 3D (which ended up being about the Matovision).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:49:20 PM by Shadow2222 »
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1926 on: April 22, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »

I would say the cost of manufacturing the CD, but we all know how ridiculously cheap that is. If anything, at least a digital download of the audio should be included.

Yeah, even that, a digital download is reasonable enough.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #1927 on: April 22, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
It's legal to take the audio from the DVD you've purchased and make a CD out of it, right? Right?

:mehlin

« Reply #1928 on: April 22, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »
It's legal to take the audio from the DVD you've purchased and make a CD out of it, right? Right?

Well, technically, DVD rippers are sold everywhere, and are a legal tool to use. And if you were to rip the audio track from a DVD, as long as you don't sell it or post it online, it's not wrong, is it?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1929 on: April 22, 2013, 11:14:05 PM »

Well, technically, DVD rippers are sold everywhere, and are a legal tool to use. And if you were to rip the audio track from a DVD, as long as you don't sell it or post it online, it's not wrong, is it?

It should be if it isn't. No different than iTunes allowing you to rip a CD.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:41:50 AM by Shadow2222 »
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1930 on: April 23, 2013, 02:15:51 AM »

You need to circumvent the DVD's copy protection first. In some countries it is illegal to circumvent copy protection schemes.
Ripping a DVD without copy protection for personal use should be legal everywhere.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1931 on: April 23, 2013, 02:48:35 AM »
I know I'll never ever play the CDs myself. I just don;t.
Me neither. Why listen to them when you can watch the DVD?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1932 on: April 23, 2013, 06:43:43 AM »
I would play the CD many times in the car, or rip it to my iPod, or give it to my father for him to listen at work. So, I am all for the double option.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1933 on: April 23, 2013, 07:23:49 AM »

I can't watch a DVD in the car.  I watch concert DVD's maybe once every year or two.  I listen to live albums all the time.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1934 on: April 23, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »
Same here.  I don't get many opportunities to watch concert vids, but I do sometimes.  And while I do have the software for ripping the audio, it's just easier to play the CDs or rip them to my PC and iPod.  Plus it's cool having the whole package.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1935 on: April 23, 2013, 08:08:56 AM »

I can't watch a DVD in the car.  I watch concert DVD's maybe once every year or two.  I listen to live albums all the time.

I'm the exact opposite.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1936 on: April 23, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
Same, I'm not really a live album guy. Or at least as long as the video from that particular show exists. I've listened to Live at Marquee plenty of times, but I've never listened to Score or Budokan, since I'd much rather play the DVD.

« Reply #1937 on: April 23, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »
Same here.  I don't get many opportunities to watch concert vids, but I do sometimes.  And while I do have the software for ripping the audio, it's just easier to play the CDs or rip them to my PC and iPod.  Plus it's cool having the whole package.

The question is, how much money is it worth spending on "easier to play the CDs".

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1938 on: April 23, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »
The software I have (VLC) can rip DVD audio, but it's a pain in the ass to use.  You have your choice of the entire disc at once or one track at a time, but if you do one track at a time, you have to reset all the parameters every time.  Format, bitrate, output path, everything.  Pain in the ass.  Plus, unless they don't give you the choice between Blu-ray and DVD (in other words, you get both no matter what), I'm getting Blu-ray, and I don't have the means to rip Blu-ray to audio.

And it's not just the ease; it's also having the CDs.  Dream Theater is one of the few bands for which I have the entire discography on CD, and I'm going to try to keep that going as long as I can.  I'm an old fuck.  I like having the packaging and all the goodies that come with it.  If I'm gonna go through ripping and burning to blank CDs just to play in the car, I'd rather pay an extra ten bucks and just buy the deluxe package.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1939 on: April 23, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
And by the way, for those who care for lossless audio, the audio stream of DVDs is encoded in a quite lossy format, some 256kbps. Not the same for the Blu Ray, though, with much more space available for a lossless stream.
- Marco

Offline emtee

« Reply #1940 on: April 23, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
I've always loved live albums. They capture a bands essence. For me it's always been tough to block out 2 hours to sit
down and watch a DVD...seems so many other things need to be done, but I can always listen to an album while doing
other things. I'll listen to a live album hundreds more times than watching the DVD.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1941 on: April 23, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
I've listened to the Budokan CDs maybe once, if that. The SCORE CDs once or twice (and the Chaos In Motion CDs literally haven't even come out of the case lol). But I've watched the Budokan and SCORE DVDs more times than I can count.

If I'm only listening to the audio, there's little chance I'm going past the pristine and perfect studio versions for a band like DT, unless it's something especially special. While DT play excellent live, I very rarely think their music is better live than it is in the studio.
I get live albums for the full sensory experience of seeing the band on stage. For me the CDs are mostly for the collection. That actually might be different this time around for the ADTOE stuff, since the production on the album sounds so poor, and it seems like this live album will sound great. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1942 on: April 23, 2013, 11:49:31 AM »
That actually might be different this time around for the ADTOE stuff, since the production on the album sounds so poor, and it seems like this live album will sound great. :tup

Really? This is the first time I've heard of this. Sometimes I am really thankful that I am not an audiophile  :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: April 23, 2013, 12:15:14 PM »
Meanwhile in Twitter land:

Jordan Rudess ‏@Jcrudess:
"Heading back into the studio with Dream Theater, another busy day of keyboard madness!..."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: April 23, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
Meanwhile in Twitter land:

Jordan Rudess ‏@Jcrudess:
"Heading back into the studio with Dream Theater, another busy day of keyboard madness!..."

Excellent! They must be tracking the keyboards then, which IIRC usually happens in the latter stages of the recording process.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1945 on: April 23, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
i'm guessing vocals come last unless they're doing them at the same time.

So imagine JR finishes keys this week.

LaBrie tracks vocals next week and a half

That just leaves mixing and mastering.

This is all best case scenario of course.

Leave 3 months for promotion and the album could be out Late August / Early September.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1946 on: April 23, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »
I think they'll be doing some of the vocals at the same time as keyboards.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1947 on: April 23, 2013, 04:16:02 PM »
I'll guess they are working on the album.

Man this is easy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1948 on: April 23, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
I'll guess they are working on the album.

Man this is easy.
You waited 56 pages to post this??  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: April 23, 2013, 04:38:31 PM »
He needed to gather compelling evidence.  :justjen
- Marco

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1950 on: April 24, 2013, 09:04:06 AM »
Mike Mangini Media & Info
Having fun in the DT camp w/lots of hard work going on in every corner. The drums are being taken down and The Wizard is adding his magic touch to the tracks. Unbelievable as usual. Lots of smiles happening here.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1951 on: April 24, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
Twitter thing with JLB about writing with MM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqIUz57J0A

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: April 24, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »
That's so very cool to hear! A strong impact and influence is exactly what I was hoping for Mike to have on the band :)
- Marco

« Reply #1953 on: April 24, 2013, 10:32:13 AM »
Definitely. But the question wasn't really accurate, since ADTOE was written AFTER Mike joined, he was simply absent from the writing sessions.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: April 24, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »
Definitely. But the question wasn't really accurate, since ADTOE was written AFTER Mike joined, he was simply absent from the writing sessions.
Yeah, which is why seeing the displayed part of the video title I was already starting to get pissed: "Don't tell me they accepted a question asking if ADTOE was written before Mike joined  :facepalm:"

Fortunately, the answered dispelled my concerns, and was handled in a rather cool way by James  :tup
- Marco

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1955 on: April 24, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
"It's gonna be... beautiful."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1956 on: April 24, 2013, 11:22:39 AM »
That actually might be different this time around for the ADTOE stuff, since the production on the album sounds so poor, and it seems like this live album will sound great. :tup

Really? This is the first time I've heard of this. Sometimes I am really thankful that I am not an audiophile  :lol

I don't think you have to be an "audiophile" to think that ADTOE has sub-par production values.  Hell, I buy the vast majority of my music via Amazon MP3 these days (256kbps MP3 files) and I listen to them on an iPod, so I am definitely no "audiophile" and the sound quality of ADTOE straight from the CD itself is worse than plenty of those MP3 files I've downloaded from Amazon.

I think my friend Mr BlobVanDam has a point.  I'm not very big on live albums, but keen to hear a live release of the ADTOE material in the hopes that it has a better sound than the original album.

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #1957 on: April 24, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely one of those who pretty much never listen to live albums. I absolutely love watching live material on Blu-ray but if I'm just going to be listening to my favorite music I'd much rather experience the studio recordings as they always sound a lot better. I  have to say though that with ADToE it might be different. I was so disappointed with the production on ADToE that at first I actually thought that I had gotten some weird print that didn't contain the final product. There's a chance this will be the first time that I think the live version sounds better than the studio version.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1958 on: April 24, 2013, 12:10:37 PM »

Can't fricking WAIT! :heart

Offline johncal

« Reply #1959 on: April 24, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »

Can't fricking WAIT! :heart

"beautiful" he says. I can't wait either. ADTOE was beautiful. The growling devil metal element has left the group but more cerebral, meaningful, but hard ass shit is on the way!  I like how they're getting to be more like yes in the respect that there is a positive vibe or message out of every song now.